• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

People have received notices from importing banned games in the past, as well as the current push by australian companies who want taxes placed on online purchases. At some point customs will start checking more packages, even if it is only during expected delivery times for banned products. You would be damn unlucky though, the amount of packages that go through is incredible. Basically don't make a heap of noise that 200 people are waiting on orders as customs may decide that would be a good day to check a few dvd sized packages and make themselves look like they are doing a good job.
This weather is amazing! Finally get some summer days where I don't have to work. Plan on grabbing some Rekordling and sitting out in the sun with The Last Wish. Can't be bothered watching the pies flog the bombers.

Question about customs not letting games through.

I import alot of DS & 3DS games, my main reason for getting a US 3DS is I'm guessing its going to be the same as the DS alot of games I want won't be released down here (Henry Hatsworth, Retro Game Challange etc etc) so they don't get submitted for rating to the OFLC. So they aren't RC but haven't rated either. Could customs hold those up as prohibited games if they got a hold of them?

Worthintendo said:

I import alot of DS & 3DS games, my main reason for getting a US 3DS is I'm guessing its going to be the same as the DS alot of games I want won't be released down here (Henry Hatsworth, Retro Game Challange etc etc) so they don't get submitted for rating to the OFLC. So they aren't RC but haven't rated either. Could customs hold those up as prohibited games if they got a hold of them?
Doubtful, they would have to know it was illegal to own. Customs probably have a list of refused content that they would check against. Stuff like Last Window is just like products that aren't sold in Australia, no real need for them to worry about that stuff as it would just open a can of worms they wouldn't want to deal with.

Also don't forget that wow wasn't rated for a long time because it didn't fall under the classifications of the board since it is an online only game so thousands of people in australia were buying an unrated game.

Nemesis_

I think I mentioned this to you before, but my copy of BlazBlue was imported when it was no where to be found on the OFLC classification list. The package was opened and inspected by customs and it was let through.

So it's fine.

T1tan

Neo Member
AusGAF - In your experience what's the best place to sell DVDs? Ebay or a second hand bookshop/pawn store?

I have 40 DVDs I want to get rid of. A pawn shop will probably pay $40 for the lot and while I might get a few more $$ on Ebay I'm a bit weary of the time spent describing the DVDs, taking photos and posting online, sellers fees on Ebay and then of course getting in contact with the buyer and posting.

I'm open to other alternatives of course.

Dead Man

T1tan said:
AusGAF - In your experience what's the best place to sell DVDs? Ebay or a second hand bookshop/pawn store?

I have 40 DVDs I want to get rid of. A pawn shop will probably pay $40 for the lot and while I might get a few more $$ on Ebay I'm a bit weary of the time spent describing the DVDs, taking photos and posting online, sellers fees on Ebay and then of course getting in contact with the buyer and posting.

Write a list here, maybe some AusGAF will take them off your hands. (I don't think that's a problem, the buy/sell/trade threads seem okay)

T1tan

Neo Member
Salazar said:
Can you give a general sense of what the dvds are ?

Mostly mainstream Hollywood 'summer' movies and a few that make year end "best of" lists: Star Trek (2009), Iron Man, Ghostbusters, The Bond/Bourne movies, most of Tarantino, all of Fincher, some Hitchcock, etc. Thanks to about 20 of my friends chipping in for my birthday I now have a sizable portion of my DVD library on Blu Ray.

I might post a list here and see what kind of response I get. Thanks to bodyboarder for the gumtree suggestion.

Deeku

T1tan said:

You could try posting on the Palgn exchange forum. Pretty active place to sell random bits of crap.

http://palgn.com.au/viewforum.php?f=49

commanderdeek said:
You could try posting on the Palgn exchange forum. Pretty active place to sell random bits of crap.

http://palgn.com.au/viewforum.php?f=49
I've bought a bunch of stuff on palgn and it has been a mostly great experience. There tend to be lots of DVD list put up though so I would try here first.
Also lost $800 buying a PS3 so don't complain if someone rips you off, they can't help you if you get ripped off.

Deeku

reptilescorpio said:
I've bought a bunch of stuff on palgn and it has been a mostly great experience. There tend to be lots of DVD list put up though so I would try here first.
Also lost $800 buying a PS3 so don't complain if someone rips you off, they can't help you if you get ripped off.
Oh man that sucks:(

Though you probably shouldn't have done such a big transaction in a place where there's no buyer protection.

commanderdeek said:
Oh man that sucks:(

Though you probably shouldn't have done such a big transaction in a place where there's no buyer protection.
I was suckered in because he said he was a Port Adelaide fan wanting to buy tickets to the grand final. We were both asshats. I should have assumed a Port fan would rip me off.

I know you guys hate it when I put up sales prices but hey. I'm doing it anyway. Just think of it as insurance in case you get hurt at work and are on workers comp stuck in bed for 9 months. You would be like, "Damn, wish I had picked up all those sweet bargains for my backlog. My bad."

SSFIV for $15. Dead Rising 2 for $22. de Blob 2 for $15. DA2 on PC for $20. NBA2K11 for $23. Borderlands GOTY for $23. Quantum Theory for the lulz for $15. And finally Jacko: The Experience Kinect version for that inanimate carbon rod whose tireless efforts have been overlooked for too long. $46.

Jintor

DA2 isn't steampowered, is it? Still tempting, but...

/edit I stole (borrowed) my Dad's Kindle to get some research books instantly for Uni and, even though I'm totally used to digital distribution and everything, am just completely floored by how goddamn convenient that was. Normally I have to wait so long for books that it's a pleasant surprise when they finally turn up because I've forgotten I ordered them in the first place.

Choc

Banned
Worthintendo said:

It's not illegal to import and own something which has not been rated as long as:

1) you do not sell it
2) you are not importing a commercial quantity of the item. If you are it must be rated.

Nemesis_

Choc said:
It's not illegal to import and own something which has not been rated as long as:

1) you do not sell it
2) you are not importing a commercial quantity of the item. If you are it must be rated.

Pretty sure that's not true in WA. =/

Bernbaum

Jintor said:
DA2 isn't steampowered, is it? Still tempting, but...

/edit I stole (borrowed) my Dad's Kindle to get some research books instantly for Uni and, even though I'm totally used to digital distribution and everything, am just completely floored by how goddamn convenient that was. Normally I have to wait so long for books that it's a pleasant surprise when they finally turn up because I've forgotten I ordered them in the first place.
I am a happy new iPad 2 owner, yet this morning I found myself hovering the mouse over a 'One-click buy' button on Amazon.com for a Kindle 3. Really tempted to get one.

I've got the Kindle app on iPad and prefer it (both the interface and the retail selection) to iBooks.

Jintor

Choc said:

1) you do not sell it

Not sure about this - I think Reg 4A of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations Act 1956 s1A(c) and s2 probably means it's just blanket illegal.

(1A) This regulation applies to publications and any other goods, that:
...(c) in relation to a computer game -- are unsuitable for a person under 18 to see or play; or...

(2) The importation of goods to which this regulation applies
is prohibited unless a permission, in writing, to import the goods has been granted by the Attorney-General or a person authorized by the Attorney-General for the purposes of this subregulation.

I'm really loving digital ink on the Kindle btw. It's fab.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Frank Sabatca arc in The Wire Season 2 was just fan-freaking-tastic. Genuinely moving/depressing.

Bernbaum

A dear favourite character of mine from the entire show. Him and Cutty.

I can remember when you watched the first few eps and weren't convinced. Unsurprising to see you've followed a similar arc to many others with their Wire-watching experiences.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I watched the entire first season, and I did start to enjoy it by the end of it, but it wasn't until one or two episodes into Season 2 when everything really started coming together for me.

I think it was the moment McNulty put those fourteen bodies on Rawls and homicide. It's just great television.

I just love that Season 2 was basically set in motion by god damn Valchek and the church window. It's so -- I don't know -- appropriate?

Rez said:
The Frank Sabatca arc in The Wire Season 2 was just fan-freaking-tastic. Genuinely moving/depressing.
Now your only problem is that The Wire eventually ends. Thankfully David Simon is a gentleman and a scholar. Generation Kill and Treme will both be worth watching once you are done with The Wire and he is working on a mini-series that will focus on the 12 days after the Lincoln Assassination while John Wilkes Booth was on the run, which sounds boss.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
I just love that Season 2 was basically set in motion by god damn Valchek and the church window. It's so -- I don't know -- appropriate?
There is an amazing moment late on in season 4 or 5 I think. I won't describe the details, but it involves a very small retaliatory action by a semi-minor character that has repercussions on his direct circle, the cops, the lawyers and a political group. All the way up the chain, a very small act has big-time impact on how the story pans out.

Here's the genius though: the execution of the chain of events probably wouldn't have been possible in an earlier series. By that stage of the show's run, the viewer is so familiar with the characters and their motivations that they understand completely just how each link along the chain impacts the next. It's a genius piece of writing, yet the viewer isn't immediately aware of it because they have grown that closely to the story and key players.

As for Frank Sobotka, what makes his story great is that it's really a storm in a teacup of what a large part of the show is about - people doing what they think is the right thing so they can take care of themselves and their kin. The way the show is shot and how the dialogue is written means that no matter which group of characters the scene is focussed on, the viewer is there right with them, viewing the events from their perspective. One moment, you're rooting for the cops as they build their case and want to see them bust the drug dealers; the next moment you're in an intimate conversation with the Barksdale crew as they plan their move and all of a sudden you're barracking for them.

One of my favourite moments in the entire show is in season 2 when Ziggy Sobotka
shoots that guy in the store, returns to his car and breaks down completely
. The camera stays with Ziggy almost too long - the scene is awkward and unsettling, but the viewer is right there with Ziggy as he falls apart, almost sympathetic to him. Moments like that is what makes the show so great - yes it's a slow burn with a lot of the core character development, but when shit goes down (and oh boy does it go down) the viewer is 100% aware of all the gravity of the situation and potential flow-on effects because of all the stock they've built up with them over the course of the show.

I've watched it once and it's probably my favourite show ever.

Mar

Rez said:
yeah, I watched the entire first season, and I did start to enjoy it by the end of it, but it wasn't until one or two episodes into Season 2 when everything really started coming together for me.

Sounds very similar to my experience with the show. Unfortunately, if you are anything like me, you'll hate it a few episodes into season 3 and stop watching.

Season 2 was absolutely glorious though.

Has anyone purchased Tony Mott's (Chief Editor of Edge magazine) book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die? Found it in the book store yesterday and I'll be picking it up. There are some obvious omissions but there's some surprises and it's well written.

I've played 323 of the games in the book which seems low. I think I'm going to try and increase that number.

Jintor

The one annoying thing I find about picking up videogame books is that the industry moves so fast that things feel dated in a very short time. Masters of Doom and the revised edition of Game Over, for instance - Masters of Doom cuts out somewhere after the Quake 3 Arena era, while Game Over doesn't even mention Iwata at all, because it finishes just before he comes into play.

While grabbing a coffee in sunny Hamilton on Saturday while my brother went Easter Egg shopping I decided to grab a copy of PCPP and see how it was going. While waiting at line to pay for my bundle of outdated news I flipped through quickly. What I noticed was a pretty crappy review of Bulletstorm that seemed more focused on the crappy marketing job than the rewardingly fun gameplay. They gave it a 6. The review on the opposite page was for the free, community made The Silver Lining. Which they gave a higher score. I have played The Silver Lining and appreciate that they are trying to get more people into King's Quest but man. The 3 released episodes have been mediocre at best. I promptly left the queue and returned the magazine. Surfing GAF on my phone should have always been the correct entertainment to go with my coffee.

Mar said:
Has anyone purchased Tony Mott's (Chief Editor of Edge magazine) book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die? Found it in the book store yesterday and I'll be picking it up. There are some obvious omissions but there's some surprises and it's well written.
My library doesn't have it, will have to check the usual place online. While checking the library website it recommended me the Bradygames Crisis Core strategy guide. My university felt the need to buy the strat guide for Crisis Core and make it available for loan? Alongside a book on PSP hacks and exploits? This makes me confused.

guidop

The Greek music that plays at the end of season 2 and all that footage that is wrapped up in the 10 minutes or so is brilliant

Mar

evlcookie said:
How much was the book Mar and was it paperback or hardcover?

$39 at my local book store, paperback. Cheap as hell considering how damn big it is. You could kill a guy.

Salazar

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/christian-leader-sorry-for-anzac-tweets-20110425-1dtof.html

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby and former special forces soldier Jim Wallace has "unreservedly" apologised for commenting against gay marriage and Muslims on Anzac Day.

Jim Wallace, the managing director of ACL, wrote on Twitter this morning: "Just hope that as we remember Servicemen and women today we remember the Australia they fought for - wasn't gay marriage and Islamic!"

Mr Wallace was heavily criticised on Twitter for his comments.

This is the asshole who said he wouldn't use videogames to train soldiers because they're too evil. His derp goes so deep.

Salazar said:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/christian-leader-sorry-for-anzac-tweets-20110425-1dtof.html

This is the asshole who said he wouldn't use videogames to train soldiers because they're too evil. His derp goes so deep.
Classy! Religion do well for themselves considering the stupid things they say. Twitter really has put a lot of people in a pickle with these kinds of things. Think before you tweet people. If you wouldn't be allowed to say it in public don't say it in a tweet. That goes for you too Stephanie Rice. Morons.

Mar said:
A link to an online spreadsheet if you wanted to see the list and even add them all up.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Asd15VKzR2FFdG4xTWQ1bFp1OGdSS01hS21OMzVGdFE&hl=en&authkey=CLqc-_ME#gid=0
Only 859 games on that list? Also GoogleDocs seems cool

Thanks for that Booko site cookie. Should get Vook to chuck that into the OP for future users, it and GameCafe would come in handy very often. SuperBookDeals has the hardcover for $28 but I have never heard of them before. Softcover is $25 from Doubleday.

Mar

reptilescorpio said:
Only 859 games on that list? Also GoogleDocs seems cool

I don't know how you're reading it, but you're reading it wrong.

There's one delete game in the list but other than that, it has all 1001.

Mar said:
I don't know how you're reading it, but you're reading it wrong.

There's one delete game in the list but other than that, it has all 1001.
Ah, just noticed that the first 142 are separate from the others in the running count for some reason. Can I use an empty column to see how many I have played?

Mar

reptilescorpio said:
Ah, just noticed that the first 142 are separate from the others in the running count for some reason. Can I use an empty column to see how many I have played?

Just insert a column and copy the formula and off you go. That's what I did.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
While grabbing a coffee in sunny Hamilton on Saturday while my brother went Easter Egg shopping I decided to grab a copy of PCPP and see how it was going. While waiting at line to pay for my bundle of outdated news I flipped through quickly. What I noticed was a pretty crappy review of Bulletstorm that seemed more focused on the crappy marketing job than the rewardingly fun gameplay. They gave it a 6. The review on the opposite page was for the free, community made The Silver Lining. Which they gave a higher score. I have played The Silver Lining and appreciate that they are trying to get more people into King's Quest but man. The 3 released episodes have been mediocre at best. I promptly left the queue and returned the magazine. Surfing GAF on my phone should have always been the correct entertainment to go with my coffee.

What I got out of that was that reviews are, well, really based on the reviewer. That was Anthony after all... Hyper reviewed Bulletstorm better.

/edit I at least hope you enjoyed the Men of War review ==;;

//edit man scorps your comments are really bumming me out now. :T

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't think I will be trying to play all 1001 games before I die as some just don't interest me, Like that tennis game. However the book would be an interesting read just to see why each game was picked, So I may actually pick it up as well.

Jintor said:
What I got out of that was that reviews are, well, really based on the reviewer. That was Anthony after all... Hyper reviewed Bulletstorm better.

/edit I at least hope you enjoyed the Men of War review ==;;

//edit man scorps your comments are really bumming me out now. :T
Wait Men of War? Didn't that come out last year? Only had a quick flick, the Bulletstorm score pulled my attention long enough to read the review. I think RPS just spoil me these days, they seem to be in the same mindset as me when it comes to games, if they give something good words I tend to like it and the same when they are unimpressed. Basically any professional review is crap because everything is subjective. Everything is dependant on opinion. A 5 star rating is better, or even just getting rid of numbers and saying good/meh/bad.

Fake edit: MoW: Assault Squad? Not really my kind of game but I wish I looked at the review now :)

Real edit: I should have grabbed the copy of Retro Gamer as any publication trying to be up-to-date is just worthless since any game they are focused on is one I have already gone through the hype-release-down cycle. I had already finished Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 long enough ago that my mind is currently on the now finished on the weekend Portal 2 and my current The Witcher playthrough. Some nice in-depth discussion of the game would be nice but most reviews are just like most journalism. Stating the facts. Investigative journalism is what makes me lay money and attention on the table, stuff like the machinima retrospectives or 'The final hours of Portal 2' by Keighley.

Top Bottom