• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
Wait Men of War? Didn't that come out last year? Only had a quick flick, the Bulletstorm score pulled my attention long enough to read the review. I think RPS just spoil me these days, they seem to be in the same mindset as me when it comes to games, if they give something good words I tend to like it and the same when they are unimpressed. Basically any professional review is crap because everything is subjective. Everything is dependant on opinion. A 5 star rating is better, or even just getting rid of numbers and saying good/meh/bad.

Fake edit: MoW: Assault Squad? Not really my kind of game but I wish I looked at the review now :)

Man, I won't tell you I don't occasionally think the same thing, but how would anybody sell advertising if they went with a ignore/rent/buy deal? Not to mention how much it would foul up metacritic, and no ad guy wants that. Or more to the point, no publisher wants that, and no ad guys wants what a publisher doesn't want.

Bah, business!

Jintor said:
Man, I won't tell you I don't occasionally think the same thing, but how would anybody sell advertising if they went with a ignore/rent/buy deal? Not to mention how much it would foul up metacritic, and no ad guy wants that. Or more to the point, no publisher wants that, and no ad guys wants what a publisher doesn't want.

Bah, business!
The crux of the problem. The money comes from advertisers. Many words to say on the topic but they don't get us anywhere.

Real edit from last page: I should have grabbed the copy of Retro Gamer as any publication trying to be up-to-date is just worthless to me since any game they are focused on is one I have already gone through the hype-release-down cycle. I had already finished Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 long enough ago that my mind is currently on the now finished on the weekend Portal 2 and my current The Witcher playthrough. Some nice in-depth discussion of the game would be nice but most reviews are just like most journalism. Stating the facts. Investigative journalism is what makes me lay money and attention on the table, stuff like the machinima retrospectives or 'The final hours of Portal 2' by Keighley.

The only reason I was still going to Kotaku a few years ago was for their opinion and feature pieces. Gamasutra is well loved because of their great pieces. Thankfully Gaf is full of opinions and every day a new random thread starts up on some random topic that leads to new knowledge being imparted to me. If an Australian magazine could be filled with interviews and cool pieces like that I would really enjoy to read it. I still have a Game Informer subscription because they have great pieces in them sometimes.

So what's the general consensus re: 3DS? UK/Euro games will work with an Aussie one?

I never payed attention to the DS import scene so I've kinda of forgotten, how many times were Euro/PAL zones screwed over regarding games? Just trying to figure out whether to get a US one or a PAL one :(

IF I get PAL where can I get the best deal store wise or best deal online? I'm assuming NOT ebgames or JB or the usual suspects but who knows.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
Sounds very similar to my experience with the show. Unfortunately, if you are anything like me, you'll hate it a few episodes into season 3 and stop watching.

Season 2 was absolutely glorious though.
Season three was the low point for me. Other seasons could be labelled 'The School one'; 'The Frank Sobotka one; or the 'The Newspaper one', yet the third season lacked an identity. It all felt like they were building the Barksdale crew back into the story and I thought the Hamsterdam stuff was a bit hokey.

Disappointed to hear you missed out on the sheer majesty and inevitable roundhouse kick to the heartstrings that was the fourth season of The Wire. Seasons two and four have the most 'spirit'.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
The only reason I was still going to Kotaku a few years ago was for their opinion and feature pieces. Gamasutra is well loved because of their great pieces. Thankfully Gaf is full of opinions and every day a new random thread starts up on some random topic that leads to new knowledge being imparted to me. If an Australian magazine could be filled with interviews and cool pieces like that I would really enjoy to read it. I still have a Game Informer subscription because they have great pieces in them sometimes.

The other half of it is that almost all the game companies are in the States and it's damn near impossible to fly dudes out there. Email and phone interviews happen but investigative journalism is a difficult gig. > > Rewarding though.

Bernbaum said:
Today is the last day I get to say "I'm in my mid-twenties!"

Tomorrow I have to say "I'm in my late twenties."

Shit aint fair.
At least you get cheaper car insurance? Also you have more right to shake you fist at those damn teenagers on your lawn.

Rezbit

Okay so Infinity Blade is pretty awesome for an iOS game. Only fault is the parry...buttons? aren't big enough. Looks great and is addictive.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
At least you get cheaper car insurance? Also you have more right to shake you fist at those damn teenagers on your lawn.
But I'm having too much fun pretending to be a teenager on other people's lawns.

Talking/thinking about insurance only makes me feel older. That's what old people do. I am not old. Fuck insurance. I'll pay more if I can hold onto my youth for a wee while longer. That's how biology works right? Fucking DNA and shit.

Bernbaum said:

Shit aint fair.
I'm just 15 months away from saying Late Twenties to Thirties :(
Man I feel old

Bernbaum said:
But I'm having too much fun pretending to be a teenager on other people's lawns.

Talking/thinking about insurance only makes me feel older. That's what old people do. I am not old. Fuck insurance. I'll pay more if I can hold onto my youth for a wee while longer. That's how biology works right? Fucking DNA and shit.
No idea, I'm still in my early twentys ;)
I think if you still get carded for entry to clubs you are technically still young enough to be 'with it' so try shaving your beard and growing some acne. humming Rebecca Black to yourself couldn't hurt either.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Wow is he some kinda Customs spy? Why is he banned for?
Why are you asking questions? What information are you trying to get out of us! We are nice, law abiding gamers Mr. Customs Officer sir!
That post didn't get him banned did it? Mods don't come in here do they? Google search doesn't turn up anything but this post and some banter in the rugby thread today?

Jintor

I also really really want some kind of cool SRPG right now.

Was there a Fire Emblem for DS that didn't suck, or should I just go dig out good old Fire Emblem Blazing Sword?

Jintor said:

Was there a Fire Emblem for DS that didn't suck, or should I just go dig out good old Fire Emblem Blazing Sword?
Tactics Ogre on PSP or Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. Otherwise SMT: Devil Survivor and Radiant Historia do a good job on DS.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Season three was the low point for me. Other seasons could be labelled 'The School one'; 'The Frank Sobotka one; or the 'The Newspaper one', yet the third season lacked an identity. It all felt like they were building the Barksdale crew back into the story and I thought the Hamsterdam stuff was a bit hokey.

Disappointed to hear you missed out on the sheer majesty and inevitable roundhouse kick to the heartstrings that was the fourth season of The Wire. Seasons two and four have the most 'spirit'.

Perhaps I did need to just push through season 3. I have them all on DVD (my wife has watched them all) so perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime.

And happy birthday good sir.

Deeku

Jintor said:

Yeah definitely get Tactics Ogre psp. It's so awesome!

But replaying old gba Fire Emblems is also a good idea, especially in hard mode and getting all the support convos.

Cohsae

Mar said:
Perhaps I did need to just push through season 3. I have them all on DVD (my wife has watched them all) so perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime.

And happy birthday good sir.
You do. Season 3 gets amazing. The developments with Stringer and Avon are incredible.
And season 4 will break your goddamn heart so be prepared for that.

Clipper

teacupcopter said:
So what's the general consensus re: 3DS? UK/Euro games will work with an Aussie one?

I never payed attention to the DS import scene so I've kinda of forgotten, how many times were Euro/PAL zones screwed over regarding games? Just trying to figure out whether to get a US one or a PAL one :(

IF I get PAL where can I get the best deal store wise or best deal online? I'm assuming NOT ebgames or JB or the usual suspects but who knows.
Yes, Europe is the same region as us, so those games will work.

Both regions got messed around with on various games. US gets most games earlier and much cheaper, so it seems the better option in the long run.

If you do decide to go PAL, JB and Big W tend to have the best deals. palgn.com.au do a mostly-weekly round-up of advertised bargains, so it helps to look at that too. Just scroll through their top stories until you find the most recent bargain post. Here's the most recent one.

CryptiK

evlcookie said:
I don't think I will be trying to play all 1001 games before I die as some just don't interest me, Like that tennis game. However the book would be an interesting read just to see why each game was picked, So I may actually pick it up as well.
I plan starting from the start and playing them ALL!

Jintor

You will get so sick of them

I started up Sands of Time just then, man that has aged weirdly, especially because I played Brotherhood like a month ago. Still cool though.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:

Shit aint fair.
At least you get to say "twenties". Only time I ever use that word now is when I'm breaking a fifty dollar note.

FWIW, I hit 30 in August and the past 8-ish months have been the least I've ever spent time thinking about my age. Only just noticed it recently. I guess if you don't give a shit about it, neither will other people.

Deeku

Man I need to get back into The Wire as well. I think I'm two episodes into Season 3 after doing a marathon of 1 and 2 a few months back. Just haven't had the time the sit my ass down and watch it non-stop.

Shaneus

Hey, what the hell was with that 1001 list that was posted? Star Control 3 was posted (big WTF there) but SC2 was, for some reason, completely absent. WTF, mate?

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
The crux of the problem. The money comes from advertisers. Many words to say on the topic but they don't get us anywhere.

Real edit from last page: I should have grabbed the copy of Retro Gamer as any publication trying to be up-to-date is just worthless to me since any game they are focused on is one I have already gone through the hype-release-down cycle. I had already finished Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 long enough ago that my mind is currently on the now finished on the weekend Portal 2 and my current The Witcher playthrough. Some nice in-depth discussion of the game would be nice but most reviews are just like most journalism. Stating the facts. Investigative journalism is what makes me lay money and attention on the table, stuff like the machinima retrospectives or 'The final hours of Portal 2' by Keighley.

May i suggest you check out Kotaku AU every so often, not the US tripe, the AU Site.

Serrels who is on here has been doing some brilliant investigative journalism around R18 and game classification and various other topics since he took over. He is also pretty much the only journalist in Australia doing it (game journo that is).

Don't get a big head mark ;)

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Pretty sure that's not true in WA. =/

What? i am fairly certain it is. To deny you importing something legally without it being rated for personal usage is complete bananas.

There is of course exceptions to this rule where you would clearly know that the articles would be banned but in terms of games like henry hatsworth etc nope

if WA has a law that says you can't own anything that isnt rated in australia then you are by far the most backwards place on the planet.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Not sure about this - I think Reg 4A of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations Act 1956 s1A(c) and s2 probably means it's just blanket illegal.

I'm really loving digital ink on the Kindle btw. It's fab.

You are quoting the ACT that bans the importation of content which is refused classification. If the object has not fronted a classification board in Australia, it has not been classified and under the law is not banned and legal to import.

The customs act does not say it is not legal to import something which has not been rated by Australian authorities. It DOES say that it is illegal to import things which have been refused classification. In the context of games it says its illegal to import computer games that would not be allowed to be seen by those under 18

How the eff are you supposed to judge that? You can't. You need the government to do it for you (as bad as that is) and until such time its not illegal to import.

For one you could as a sane human being say henry hatsworth is playable by under 18 people and would be rated that way. Therefore not illegal.

I did a huge research thing on this for my University degree back in the day and have had to do research on it since, i generally know how the classification system works. The Customs Act only covers that which has been rated.

The classification act covers what must be rated and when. It's basically when selling and importing a commercial quantity of a product.

Jintor

Choc said:
You are quoting the ACT that bans the importation of content which is refused classification. If the object has not fronted a classification board in Australia, it has not been classified and under the law is not banned and legal to import.

The customs act does not say it is not legal to import something which has not been rated by Australian authorities. It DOES say that it is illegal to import things which have been refused classification. In the context of games it says its illegal to import computer games that would not be allowed to be seen by those under 18

How the eff are you supposed to judge that? You can't. You need the government to do it for you (as bad as that is) and until such time its not illegal to import.

For one you could as a sane human being say henry hatsworth is playable by under 18 people and would be rated that way. Therefore not illegal.

I did a huge research thing on this for my University degree back in the day and have had to do research on it since, i generally know how the classification system works. The Customs Act only covers that which has been rated.

The classification act covers what must be rated and when. It's basically when selling and importing a commercial quantity of a product.

Ah, okay. Although I was under the impression it was a Commonwealth act, not an ACT act.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Ah, okay. Although I was under the impression it was a Commonwealth act, not an ACT act.

it is a comm act :) points still stand, just i typed ACT like that, as you are supposed to really... :)

evlcookie said:
I don't think I will be trying to play all 1001 games before I die as some just don't interest me, Like that tennis game. However the book would be an interesting read just to see why each game was picked, So I may actually pick it up as well.

As will I. Except I'll try and play as many as I humanly can over the course of (what I'm assuming will be) a couple years.

So GAF I've been mostly without net for the Easter weekend. What's been happening?

edit: Also, I was bored so uh. Here. http://ausgaf.t35.com/csv.php Here is a PHP version for the 1001 games. It parses the CSV file (well, I copied it into the PHP lol) and prints the checkboxes, then you click the checkboxes and then click submit. It'll tellyou how many you've played.

I have way too much time on my hands at 3:30-4:30 in the morning. Also the source if you want it for any reason, the code is horrible though: http://ausgaf.t35.com/csv.phps

edit: updated it a few times to make it nicer, plus have the number of games there. as you can tell, either i fucked up the csv somehow or the googledocs is missing a game.

Shaneus said:
At least you get to say "twenties". Only time I ever use that word now is when I'm breaking a fifty dollar note.
Or when you are talking about the salad days with your buddies back in the roaring twenties?

Choc said:
Serrels who is on here has been doing some brilliant investigative journalism around R18 and game classification and various other topics since he took over.
Interesting, I'll have to go back and check it out. Haven't visited the Aus site for at least 12 months. Hopefully they didn't get that awful redesign too. Pretty fed up with info on R18 though at this point, just want the damn thing to pass so we can focus on other things like bringing the games industry into the same category as films in terms of viability.

Bernbaum said:
BAM, I'm 28. How did this happen? That's like, a billion in numerical terms.
Congrats! You can start thinking about retirement soon!

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Or when you are talking about the salad days with your buddies back in the roaring twenties?
Just shut yer mouth and git offa mah lawn, you young whippersnapper! *waves cane*

ClivePwned said:
215 out of 1001 games. I'm 37 and I obviously know what I like by now. I've no interest in the 800 or so it says I should play.
705. Less than ten of the rest of the games I would bother playing out of interest. I don't do Online so that knocked out quite a few. The best thing about PC gaming is I can easily play a game from 20 years ago if I want to see how influential it was, Dosbox is a godsend.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Serrels who is on here has been doing some brilliant investigative journalism around R18 and game classification and various other topics since he took over. He is also pretty much the only journalist in Australia doing it (game journo that is).

Don't get a big head mark ;)

Thanks man! Was nice to wake up this morning and read this.

In other news - I'm also waving bye bye to my 20s. Next month.

[Sob]

MrSerrels said:
Thanks man! Was nice to wake up this morning and read this.

In other news - I'm also waving bye bye to my 20s. Next month.

[Sob]
Hey old man is there any way to only show the Australian stories on Kotaku Oz? Trying to find some of your stuff but the first 5 pages only has like, 2 articles by you.

Jintor said:
Man, I won't tell you I don't occasionally think the same thing, but how would anybody sell advertising if they went with a ignore/rent/buy deal?
Works alright for Ars Technica. Ben Kuchera (who seems to put out a love him or hate him vibe) has stated that Ars does not want to introduce a numerical style rating (stars and grading systems like 1UP use can be converted to Metacritic scores) and they don't want to be on Metacritic at all.

reptilescorpio said:
Hey old man is there any way to only show the Australian stories on Kotaku Oz? Trying to find some of your stuff but the first 5 pages only has like, 2 articles by you.
Yeah, being able to filter by author would be nice. I also don't mind reading Totilo's stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
BAM, I'm 28.

How did this happen? That's like, a billion in numerical terms.
Happy birthday, Bern! Just think, you're one year closer to being able to call yourself "wise" without people screwing up their nose.

MrSerrels

reptilescorpio said:

It's because I'm on holiday right now. The only stories going up by me are the ones I've scheduled. Usually they're easier to find!

Check out the eds picks box. If you want to read R18+ stuff just search for R18+ and click the 'ready' tag.

For all Australian content just click the 'au' tag.

But for the kind of content you're interested in - I always chuck feature style pieces in the eds picks box.

Danoss

Bernbaum said:
BAM, I'm 28.

How did this happen? That's like, a billion in numerical terms.
Happy birthday, you old bastard. :)

Heh, enjoy it, of course it's not all bad. Now you can pretend you're all mature and other such things.

I'm 29, turning 30 this year, so don't feel down. Actually, that's a horrifying thought for all concerned, especially given how grumpy I am already.

Top Bottom