• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

It shouldn't need it. If you look at the source, I put the raw file in the code haaha.

having a look at the list now though, they list Arkanoid and Breakout as separate games. lol.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
It shouldn't need it. If you look at the source, I put the raw file in the code haaha.

having a look at the list now though, they list Arkanoid and Breakout as separate games. lol.

Doesn't connect to the actual ausgaf.t35.com site though, just times out.

Dead Man

Children. You are all children! I will be halfway to 70 this year. Half way!! To 70!! But happy birthday Bern.

Obligatory:
birthday.gif

w72mk.jpg

MrSerrels said:
But for the kind of content you're interested in - I always chuck feature style pieces in the eds picks box.
Ah ha! Nice work, also nice timing as I recently fell in love with HalfBrick games. Great work on that article. Would be nice to avoid the regular news crap and just read your articles, do you have a newsletter kind sir?

Also those comics DeadMan appear EVERY time someone has a birthday, especially in OT when people feel the need to start a thread for it. Hopefully something new will come up and take the mantle soon.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
Oh. That's fine then, the site is just a throwaway shitty free one. I'll make another.

edit: man i forgot how shitty it is to sign up for free webhosts. ahah.

Just upload the php file somewhere and i should be able to throw it on a host.

Mar

Megadrive said:

This, my friends, is the gaming equivalent of an own goal.

They are separate games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of, does anyone have a decent PHP book recommendation? We learn Cold Fusion in this unit because it's a little more high-level (it's a multimedia student inclusive unit, got to give them some slack), but as far as practical use goes, PHP seems much more useful.

Rez I just learned using the Internets so I can't offer any book recommendations. However, whore the use of PHP.net's documentation and stuff.

Mar: They are? I've played Arkanoid on the NES and I've played Breakout for every other console ever and they are basically the exact same game.

Cookie: http://pastie.org/1833918

Shaneus

Megadrive said:
Mar: They are? I've played Arkanoid on the NES and I've played Breakout for every other console ever and they are basically the exact same game.
Vastly different. It's like comparing Wolf 3D to Quake 2.

It's not as if it's an FPS where two can feel vastly different. The game itself is a ball bouncing off walls and destroying blocks on a 2D plane. How can you make that feel different? Is there a version I should've played that I didn't or something?

Shaneus

Arkanoid has vastly improved graphics (in comparison to Breakout), powerups, weapons, brick patterns and more varied ball patterns. To me, it feels far different to Breakout where it has very basic colours and really is only hitting a ball against the same bricks level after level.

I've just looked up a video of the NES version and I can see how you'd see the similarities a little more... that looked like arse compared to the arcade one.

Megadrive said:
It's not as if it's an FPS where two can feel vastly different. The game itself is a ball bouncing off walls and destroying blocks on a 2D plane. How can you make that feel different? Is there a version I should've played that I didn't or something?
It's like Bejewelled isn't the only match 3 game out there. They all have their own quality's that make them worth playing. Arkanoid 2 on the Apple had some cool stuff to separate it from the original, basic Breakout which is why I think Arkanoid has also been recommended.

Mar

Megadrive said:
They are? I've played Arkanoid on the NES and I've played Breakout for every other console ever and they are basically the exact same game.

It's exactly like one FPS to another. Basic same gameplay, different features added.

For those interested in trying the best Breakout style game, I'd recommend Krypton Egg. It's on the iPhone and I still play it now and again. Fantastic retro Amiga theme with a stupid amount of crazy power ups.

Madrical

Banned
So I just used a PSP for the first time on my way to/from Melbourne and I'm impressed. I only bought the two God of Wars, Vice City Stories and LBP but for a system that is near the end of it's lifespan now, Ghost of Sparta looks absolutely amazing. It's one of the newer games but I couldn't believe what I was seeing during some moments. Everything about the system seemed pretty slick, I know I'm extremely LTTP but I enjoyed it. More impressed than when I bought my DSLite.

On another topic and something people may actually care about, who is importing Mortal Kombat? It seems pretty freaking awesome so I'd like to grab it but I remember reading reports that any copies coming into Australia will be confiscated, for the lack of a better word. Anyone imported yet?

Also, go pies.

Dead Man

evlcookie said:
The php script mega did is now rehosted.

Click me
Only 185 played by me. I feel incomplete. That said, some odd choices and omissions, to me. Half the stuff I have played would not even get a recommendation from me, let alone make it onto a must play list. I think 1000 games is just too long.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
276 games for me out of the 1001.

I wouldn't even know if that was correct. I went through the list quickly, trying to rejig some memories when the names popped up.

I also doubt i've finished or done a 50% play through on everything. So i'm not too sure what would classify as a game played.

Madrical

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
So what kind of games would you like to play? Thinking of going custom firmware so you can run emulators/ebooks etc?
I've thought about it, is it really worth it? I suppose I would have to do some research on it. What firmware do y'all use?

evlcookie said:
276 games for me out of the 1001.
Are we talking about Tony Mott's 1001 video games you must play before you die? I picked it up about a week ago, haven't really had time to dive into it since I also picked up Mass Effect Retribution and part one of The History of Nintendo.

Yeah, I had a geeky-book purchasing hour on eBay.

Madrical said:
I've thought about it, is it really worth it? I suppose I would have to do some research on it. What firmware do y'all use?
CFW is only really useful if it means you don't have to buy another device to cover those functions in my opinion. If you want to play your games UMD free or run other programs it can be a nice way to increase the value of the PSP, I'm hoping to pick up a cheap PSPgo now that they have been discontinued and put CFW on it so I can play all my PSOne and PSP games. It is pretty easy to do these days so if you really want to get into it just google your current firmware version to see how to get it running. At the same time if you already have a jailbroken iPhone or something else then you probably don't need another device to play SNES games on. Best thing about the PSP is how cheap it's best games are, like Jeanne D`Arc or Syphon Filter.

Gazunta

Hey guys, I've been offline for a few days finishing up something.

And that something is this:

Final Say PR - Public Relations and Media Management for independent video game developers.

You make great games. We get the word out. It's that simple.

I'll have the press release out later tonight, but basically: if you have made a game, especially one for Facebook / App Store / Android Market, XBLIG etc, and you don't know how to get everyone talking about it, then come talk to us :)

So any of you guys up for doing a quick and dirty mod for Crysis 2 when the SDK releases in August? We can do a shot-for-shot remake of Jurassic Park set in Australia. Replacing the Dinosaurs (or enemies in Crysis obviously) with Kangaroos and Emus, while local voice acting will give an authentic look at life in the outback. Maybe throw in a John Jarrett character for variety.

Mar

Gazunta said:

Final Say PR - Public Relations and Media Management for independent video game developers.

I'll have the press release out later tonight, but basically: if you have made a game, especially one for Facebook / App Store / Android Market, XBLIG etc, and you don't know how to get everyone talking about it, then come talk to us :)

I like it. I like it a lot.

What sort of people are you looking to join and what would be required?

Aon

reptilescorpio said:
So any of you guys up for doing a quick and dirty mod for Crysis 2 when the SDK releases in August?.

The editor will be before august. August release is only for Ausgaffers who can code.

Aaand double post. Because I'm amazing.

Gazunta said:

Looks very, very interesting.

Edit: At least by August I should be able to code at Romero levels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gazunta said:

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Bernbaum

Mad Men aficionados,

My brother got me a chip and dip platter. He left his birthday wishes on the back side of this coyly-chosen photograph:

2myqaeu.jpg

If you're cool, you'll get it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, that's awesome.

Hey, the Wire Season 3 has an awesome version of the title song. So, uh, things are looking good for it so far.

Gazunta

624 games BTW. I better start catching up on this thread! (And do some comics, and finish Portal 2, and...)

Mar - I need people to sign up for focus testing client's games - so if you have a device that can play games, we can use you if a client wants some focus testing done.

Aon - That's half of why I wanted to start this. So many great developers out there are fantastic and code / art / design, but need help getting noticed on places like that.

Gazunta said:
Mar - I need people to sign up for focus testing client's games - so if you have a device that can play games, we can use you if a client wants some focus testing done..
Have you heard of Combat Testing? I signed up with their forum for the Crysis 2 beta and have done a few since then including Gaikai. Maybe they would be willing to help out, especially with the non-Australian indie developers you might get in.

Couldn't get tomorrow off work so I am going in for one single day this week. Lame.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in doing some testing, Gaz. It would look good on a resume. ;)

legend166

This weekend hasn't been the relaxing break from work I was looking for.

Over the last two nights we've had 10 people sleeping in our one storey, four (we made it five) bedroom house. There are usually five people here.

My cousin is getting married in London and she came out here for an engagement party. So there's her and her fiance. And her sister down from Forster, with her husband. And my brother's girlfriend.

The place looks like a bomb went off.

Also, I saw Thor today. I thought it was really enjoyable.

P.S. Gaz if that company grows give me a job.

legend166 said:
P.S. Gaz if that company grows give me a job.
Shotgun Junior Vice President.

My graphics card is pooping itself. Hopefully it is just the toll of being on for a few days as I only bought it back in September. I've been running on the beta drivers too even though the latest release came out without me checking, fingers crossed it is okay now.

Ydahs

Gazunta said:

Sounds like something that can really grow. I might give it a go once I have my iOS game out of the planning stage :)

Any indication on the cost of the service?

Top Bottom