• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Omikron

Fredescu said:
We need more of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU to bring the cost of living down a bit.

That is pretty amazing.

We went from a 2 bed spacious unit renting to a 2 bed apartment, and it is amazing what you can do without / amount of shite you collect over the years.

Salazar said:
Grabbed Mirror's Edge, Batman AA, Freedom Force, GTA IV.

Holy shit at Glados. Sick burn after sick burn.

How many hours you cranking out on Steam a week atm? :p

Salazar said:
Grabbed Mirror's Edge, Batman AA, Freedom Force, GTA IV.

Holy shit at Glados. Sick burn after sick burn.

You are probably worse than me in regards to your 'Steam Addiction' :)

I have had my computer for 2 months now and currently have 24 games on Steam, though I'm also tempted by Batman and GTA4... I don't know if I should get them :(

jambo

I think the most I had was 50-60 hours in 2 weeks on Steam.

That included a 12 hour Mass Effect session one weekend :lol

Madrical

Banned
PerthGAF, anyone been to Headphonic in Leederville before? I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones and they seem to have the best range in Perth. Or if anyone has bought online from them, recommended? I'm impressed with their honesty online, on a product page for a pair of $700 headphones they say they sound no better than $200 headphones and they're not recommended.

Rahk

Madrical said:
PerthGAF, anyone been to Headphonic in Leederville before? I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones and they seem to have the best range in Perth. Or if anyone has bought online from them, recommended? I'm impressed with their honesty online, on a product page for a pair of $700 headphones they say they sound no better than $200 headphones and they're not recommended.
Probably the best Australian source for headphones, yes. Not sure if they'll let you try canalphones due to hygienic reasons. Maybe they have spare tips or something though.

I recently bought a pair of Shure SE215 and they're pretty great for the price. Got them for $94 from the US though.

The RE0s are also recommended, but they broke fairly quick on me.

snoopen

Use staticice and Amazon as references for headphones.. Snufkin (owner of Headphonic) seems a nice guy but his prices are expensive.
I just ordered a pair of Klipsch S4i's (site is Addicted to Audio) as my CX300II's died... Too much usage i think.

I had RE0's before my CX300II's.. RE0 was better build quality, CX300II sounded better.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
You're rich now, hire a helicopter

Not that rich.

Madrical said:

Ordered my Sennheiser headphones and spare parts for them from there. Haven't been into the store at all before. Recommended though for Perth people for sure.

Madrical

Banned
snoopen said:
Use staticice and Amazon as references for headphones.. Snufkin (owner of Headphonic) seems a nice guy but his prices are expensive.
I just ordered a pair of Klipsch S4i's (site is Addicted to Audio) as my CX300II's died... Too much usage i think.

I had RE0's before my CX300II's.. RE0 was better build quality, CX300II sounded better.
Have your S4i's arrived? They are on my shortlist of headphones to check out. I was just thinking about going in and asking for a recommendation, surely a shop which almost exclusively sells headphones would have knowledgeable employees (in before EB Games). Usually I research the shit out of a $100+ purchase but there's so many brands to choose from when it comes to headphones. Thinking either Sennheiser (I have Sennheiser studio headphones that I love) or Audio-Technica, not sure on their headphone quality but I love my AT turntable.

Madrical

Banned
Kerrby said:
I thought it was required that all receptionists be hot and wear mini skirts?
You obviously haven't seen our previous receptionist. *shudder*

On another note, our current receptionist had her last day today too. Well, guess she's not current now.

Rahk

Madrical said:
Have your S4i's arrived? They are on my shortlist of headphones to check out. I was just thinking about going in and asking for a recommendation, surely a shop which almost exclusively sells headphones would have knowledgeable employees (in before EB Games). Usually I research the shit out of a $100+ purchase but there's so many brands to choose from when it comes to headphones. Thinking either Sennheiser (I have Sennheiser studio headphones that I love) or Audio-Technica, not sure on their headphone quality but I love my AT turntable.
Well, don't expect them to recommend you any (or very little) Sennheiser. They say they are overpriced and there are better headphones out there, which I agree with. The ones I've listened to have had a muffled, unclear sound. Haven't tried their though.

They also don't stock a bunch of headphone brands (Klipsch included) probably due to the price distributers are charging for Australia so don't expect them to recommend them.

Check out some of the recommendations on www.earphonesolutions.com. They also ship to Australia and they're fairly cheap.

Rahk

Hope everyone bought King's Bounty pack if not already owned. Great game.

Got King's Bounty: Crossworlds, GTA4 pack, and Jamestown today.

Madrical

Banned
Rahk said:
Well, don't expect them to recommend you any (or very little) Sennheiser. They say they are overpriced and there are better headphones out there, which I agree with. The ones I've listened to have had a muffled, unclear sound. Haven't tried their though.

They also don't stock a bunch of headphone brands (Klipsch included) probably due to the price distributers are charging for Australia so don't expect them to recommend them.

Check out some of the recommendations on www.earphonesolutions.com. They also ship to Australia and they're fairly cheap.
Thanks for the link man, that website seems really good. Anyone got experiences with the Westone 3s? Damn pricey but I'm not that fussed so long as the quality is good. All the reviews I've read so far only complain about the price.

EDIT: Good is probably an understatement.. as long as the price reflects the quality, which according to reviews it does. Just seeing if anyone has owned a pair. Someone on cnet said their pair broke after 2 months :\

snoopen

Madrical said:
Haven't got the S4i's yet.. i ordered last night and they were shipped this morning with free express so i'm expecting Monday :).
I had a lot of trouble buying the headphones actually, i'm very pendantic and do an excessive amount of research.. the main reason why i went with the klipsch is their 2 year warranty and that i do a lot of cardio/running, i looked around for some lists for best running headphones and the klipsch was top 3 on at least 5 different sites.. sounds impressive.
I can't say i'd recommend the Sennheisers.. they were great but they only lasted a year (dunno if they have a warranty, i threw the packaging out ages ago) and the cord on the CX300's wasn't that good, a fair amount of crackling. I liked the J cord though, not sure how i'll adapt to the Y cord on the S4i's.. but from what i've read it's pretty awesome. As for Audio-Technica, i have a pair of AD900's that i use for piano/music at home, they're great but from what i've seen they're more of a 'high-end' brand.. their earphones suck but their headphones are very good quality.

jambo

Madrical said:
Headphone Solution is a great US site with low prices and decent shipping. I saved $200 on my Beyerdynamic DT990s!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just got back from the Alienware event.

What the fuck was that?

Kerrby

Banned
EatChildren said:
Just got back from the Alienware event.

What the fuck was that?

I remember going to the COD:WAW 24 hour launch party hosted by Alienware. The single most disappointing thing I've ever been too, not one thing went right that night.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It was confusion. Like, I've been to plenty of media events to know they're essentially trying to sell you something. Talk up their product and what have you. And you always know how they're going to sell it. This, however, was the first time I've found myself standing there going "I have no idea what is going on".

There was some projection thing displaying a sci-fi environment and Crysis-like robot tentacles, then live actors came in decked in black with machineguns acting out a battle sequences, then the pyrotechnics kicked in and a man was on fire.

Turns out some van thing is going to be touring Australia showing off Alienware's new line of hardware. It was just the most baffling and downright confusing way of selling it.

Salazar

EatChildren said:
There was some projection thing displaying a sci-fi environment and Crysis-like robot tentacles, then live actors came in decked in black with machineguns acting out a battle sequences, then the pyrotechnics kicked in and a man was on fire.

You had a more interesting evening than I did, drawing 2-2 at football and getting elbowed in the exact same spot on my ribs.

And watching Sons of Anarchy, which is pretty good, really.

hamchan

EatChildren said:

This sounds awesome.

EatChildren

Not really. I mean, for price/enthusiast build, the best path is always to build your own. Its always going to be so much cheaper, and you'll get far more bang for your buck. The event seemed to be almost exclusively focused on their notebook line. They had Portal 2, Medal of Honor, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, and some racing game on display. The racing game was the only one hooked up to a desktop system (I think, as I avoided it).

They all looked pretty flashy, typically of Alienware. Crysis 2's notebook was to show off 3D, so I got to play around with that in 3D. Looked great, maxed out without the DX11 patch, but also running at sub-30fps which was really weird.

It was just weird. They were nice people, didn't really push marketing hard, had tons of free food and an open bar. But there were only five or so systems on display, and the display show, while neat, was a really strange way to show off what is essentially a computer bus tour.

Salazar

Cheers.

I can see how that goes, companies being excited to market graphically impressive stuff on notebooks.

Oh, and stay warm, Aus-GAF. Goddamn almost too cold to get out of bed this morning.

Madrical

Banned
I've always kinda wanted an Alienware computer, I'm not sure why. But as you mentioned, the pricing isn't worth it. If you're willing to spend that much on a PC, you should be willing to spend the extra few hours to learn how to put together a PC, it's not hard.

The notebooks on the other hand seem pretty solid, but you're still paying for the brand.. Asus have nice notebooks that are probably cheaper for what you're getting.

Not to mention the incredibly ridiculous pricing in Australia. I don't know what it's lkike nowadays, but when I was going to buy an Alienware notebook maybe 2 years ago, it was literally double the price of the US version which is just crazy.

Sounds like a weird event though, what was it exactly though? An event for the media to promote the bus tour you mentioned? I'd have thought they'd get more of the public viewing their computer but setting up a stall in say, major JB HIFI locations or something. *shrug*

Oh and I picked up the Westone 3 earphones from www.earphonesolutions.com. Every review I read was glowing other than the price and I wasn't too fussed with paying for quality so they'll hopefully arrive sometime next week. :)

EatChildren

Madrical said:
Sounds like a weird event though, what was it exactly though? An event for the media to promote the bus tour you mentioned?

Literally this. The idea is that Alienware are going to focus on having a bigger presence in Australia. More products and stronger marketing. The bus tour is their way of trying to spread knowledge of their products as well as offering people hands-on time with the kind of graphical power they can expect. They're also planning to create a localised version of their Alienware website thingo that they have in the US, running and supporting tournaments for major PC games.

Whether that actually pans out though, who knows.

Madrical

Banned
EatChildren said:
Literally this. The idea is that Alienware are going to focus on having a bigger presence in Australia. More products and stronger marketing. The bus tour is their way of trying to spread knowledge of their products as well as offering people hands-on time with the kind of graphical power they can expect. They're also planning to create a localised version of their Alienware website thingo that they have in the US, running and supporting tournaments for major PC games.

Whether that actually pans out though, who knows.
Hmm fair enough. Until they lower their prices here, I can't see them making too big of a dent in the market. Glad they're giving it a go though.

I still think setting up shops in gaming stores would promote this a hell of a lot better than a bus tour.

Jintor

this_happens_to_everybody_by_mul-d3la1j7.jpg

Jintor said:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/188/4/5/this_happens_to_everybody_by_mul-d3la1j7.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
guy looks like a hipster douche.

[spoiler]I cant even draw stickmen that look right :([/spoiler]

Top Bottom