• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Mar

Gazunta said:
624 games BTW. I better start catching up on this thread! (And do some comics, and finish Portal 2, and...)

Mar - I need people to sign up for focus testing client's games - so if you have a device that can play games, we can use you if a client wants some focus testing done.

624... You've made me look like an amateur.

As for your project, I might be interested. I'll talk to you about it again a little later on.

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
Hey guys, I've been offline for a few days finishing up something.

And that something is this:

Final Say PR - Public Relations and Media Management for independent video game developers.

You make great games. We get the word out. It's that simple.

I'll have the press release out later tonight, but basically: if you have made a game, especially one for Facebook / App Store / Android Market, XBLIG etc, and you don't know how to get everyone talking about it, then come talk to us :)

I think this is a great idea and a great niche.

Good luck man. I would totally love to speak to you about this, because I've been brewing an idea for Kotaku that would be perfect for your potential clientele!

Bernbaum

Anyone else think that AusGAF is like the Peach Pit in the original run of Beverly Hills 90210 but instead of the place being a conduit for relationships and dating it's a conduit for behind the scenes industry management and dissemination of information and instead of Luke Perry and Shannon Doherty we've got Mar and Rez?

Just me?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On scale of Shannon Doherty to Shannon Doherty, I'm Shannon Doherty.

Gazunta

Ydahs said:
Sounds like something that can really grow. I might give it a go once I have my iOS game out of the planning stage :)

Any indication on the cost of the service?
ONE MILLION DOLLARS

Just kidding. Drop us an email to tell us more about it. It's geared towards indie devs - not rockstars :)

Rez said:
On scale of Shannon Doherty to Shannon Doherty, I'm Shannon Doherty.
Yours certainly is that of a Charmed life.

Sorry Bern, I am only aware of the tumultuous times of the Wilsons at West Beverly Hills High. Probably more related to the short attention span and constant amnesia than anything else.

Gazunta

BTW, if I play all 1001 games do I get to run Edge magazine for a month?

Mark, I'll drop you a line in the next day or two! That would be awesome.

I totally call dibs on being Jenny Mcarthy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to drop a Rose McGowen reference but thought that was one step too far down the rabbit hole.

Bernbaum

Here's a list of things that are great:

Stacking + Hobo King DLC
Real Racing 2 HD on iPad
McSweeney's app on iPad
The New Yorker on iPad
Wired magazine on iPad
The Apple iPad

I've also been enjoying sufficient exposure to board games to know what I really like in a game. Not one for tiered lists, but the following are dear favourites:

Dominion + various expansions (my go-to game; great with any number of people; never had a boring game).
Weinhandler (game mechanics are sooooo simple, but there's plenty to think about)
Carcassone (an oldy but a goody and always fun)
Cosmic Encounter (the best example of a game that plays 'outside of the box'; discussions drag on forever, alliances are forged broken and renewed, and every turn is packed full of twists and surprises)

Plus a bunch of others but those four are rocking my world right now. I also have a list of games I'm not too fussed on. It's not important what those games are, and by sharing their names I'd be a namby-pamby glass half empty antisocial pessimist, but the important thing is that I've now played enough board/card games to appreciate what makes for a good core system and can recognise what kind of games I know I'm gonna like.

Madrical

Banned
Stackboy said:
No one knows who created this list? We just blindly follow?
Taken from the cover of the book which is on my lap, it has a preface by Peter Molyneux, the contents were selected and written by leading international critics and the general editor was Tony Mott.

Flipping through the book I really do like it, it's made me want to play some classics I've missed (EarthBound) and I've found games I loved as a kid but forgot (The Neverhood) but there's also some strange choices - PAIN is an example.

There's actually a list of the contributors in the back of the book.

Chris Baker
Tom Benjamin
Owain Bennallack
Brandon Boyer
Jason Brookes
Jamin Brophy-Warren
Matthew Castle
Mike Channell
Chris Dahlen
Christmas Donlan
Martin Davies
Joao Diniz Sanches
Nathan Ditum
Kieron Gillen
Sam Grant
Duncan Harris
Mitch Krpata
Mathew Kumar
Keza MacDonald
Gus Mastrapa
Ben Maxwell
David McCarthy
Jim McCauley
Alec Meer
Simon Parkin
Jim Rossignol
Jamie Russell
Ben Schroder
Rob Smith
Richard Stanton
Tim Stone
Keith Stuart
John Teti
David Valjalo
Ben Wilson
Alex Wiltshire

Almost all, if not all contributors are journalists, ex-editors of magazines etc.

It's a good book to own.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Anyone else think that AusGAF is like the Peach Pit in the original run of Beverly Hills 90210 but instead of the place being a conduit for relationships and dating it's a conduit for behind the scenes industry management and dissemination of information and instead of Luke Perry and Shannon Doherty we've got Mar and Rez?

Just me?

Another show I used to turn the sound off and enjoy.

Wait, that is GAF.

mandiller

Gazunta said:

Final Say PR - Public Relations and Media Management for independent video game developers.

I'll have the press release out later tonight, but basically: if you have made a game, especially one for Facebook / App Store / Android Market, XBLIG etc, and you don't know how to get everyone talking about it, then come talk to us :)

That sounds really cool. Is this a personal thing you're doing or have you got a little team working on it?

CryptiK

So I have been very bored lately and have a bit of money to spend so I have decied to start a project a very uninteresting project that may take a while to finish and a lot of work time that I dont have so Project Unity will begin and probably.. never finish.

Cohsae

So that list has Hitman 2 Silent Assassin and not Blood Money?
I thought everyone agreed that BM is the bees knees?
This list is just crazy talk. Guess that's what happens when you pick a silly number like 1001.

Frawdder

Gazunta said:

Wow, cool stuff, Gaz.

I wish you all the best with this and hope to see many awesome, otherwise unknown, indie game come out of this.

Madrical said:

Christmas Donlan
...ummmmm... someone named their kid Christmas. Not cool. It sounds like a Yuletide practice or perhaps a culinary treat for Christmas Day.

"So... who's bringing the Christmas Donlan this year. Yum!"

PS- 167. although that is slightly to be expected since there seems to be a high number of PC games on the list; I've managed to play a few of them (Diablo, Rise of Nations, Civ, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, etc) but my list mainly came from the console listings.

I may have cheated and selected games that are in my current backlog to play.

Madrical said:
I see RPS men in this list, maybe I should pick this book up instead of just remain puzzled at a lot of the choices in the chosen games.

Also I would love to get on PSN soon Sony. Hint hint.

Mar

reptilescorpio said:
I see RPS men in this list, maybe I should pick this book up instead of just remain puzzled at a lot of the choices in the chosen games.

From what I've heard on the internets, the write ups of all these games really gives you a good indication of why they are included and a good reason to play them. I'm picking up my copy this afternoon when I get home from work.

I watched the 1st 2 episodes of Game of Thrones the new tv series based on a song of ice and fire books. Its been an excellent read so far even though i'm only around 50 pages in, but after watching the tv show i was pleasantly surprised. Its done brilliantly, i loved it. I would definitely recommend you all watch it if u like that kind of thing, its medieval type fantasy setting. It is very raw which could be a downfall for some more reserved viewers but its done in such a way that it fits with the setting.

Other than that this long weekend has gone quite nicely. Portal 2 did not get as much love as i originally planned to give it so that will have to be rectified soon.

Omikron

Back at work... :(

Setting up new boxen today, so, not all bad.

Also, might have to get that 1001 games book and check out what I missed in the ps3/360 generation. I am guessing I won't be impressed :p

Choc

Banned
lol

apple for FUCK SAKE do something right for once.

it's beyond belief how much they fuck things up. They have stopped the reservations program they had now and its again a free for all hopefully you walk in when they have some

the reservations program was @ least half decent (not as good as last years mind you)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Probably because the iPads aren't selling out as fast as Apple thought they might. I'm guessing everyone who REALLY wanted one has done so by now and it's just random enquiries.

Good to see PSN is royally fucked. I wonder if you can change your password online somewhere? Even though you can't access PSN itself.

evlcookie said:
Probably because the iPads aren't selling out as fast as Apple thought they might. I'm guessing everyone who REALLY wanted one has done so by now and it's just random enquiries.

Good to see PSN is royally fucked. I wonder if you can change your password online somewhere? Even though you can't access PSN itself.

i wasn't really reading up on internet news over the break. but i did get my psp back and was ready to get FF9 on it and do some other stuff with PSN. couldn't connect online on Saturday and was freaking out thinking wireless was fked or something, spent 2 hours fiddling with sh*t only for my mate to come home and tell me about the PSN issues. was not happy

Bernbaum

So if AusGAF did a cumulative games played for the 1001 titles on the list, then we could spend a weekend playing the handful or so of unplayed games and then bask in the limelight and adulation that comes with having completed such a feat. I'd be much more interested in that.

We'd need like, a spreadsheet or some shit.

Bernbaum said:
So if AusGAF did a cumulative games played for the 1001 titles on the list, then we could spend a weekend playing the handful or so of unplayed games and then bask in the limelight and adulation that comes with having completed such a feat. I'd be much more interested in that.

Can someone bring me up to speed on this? If what i have gathered so far is correct i would be up for testing games/playing set titles. RL achievement unlocked Bern?

Mar

Bernbaum said:

I really like this idea. Let's do it.

We need to modify the code in the list to get people to reserve their names next to games they'll play for the greater cause.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
I really like this idea. Let's do it.

We need to modify the code in the list to get people to reserve their names next to games they'll play for the greater cause.
Best part of this idea is someone else doing all the work.

Show of hands?

We could also do some fancy whizz bang statistics shit and see the most frequently played games. To be super fucking rad cool, we could insert the year of release of each game and see from what era AusGAF as a collective played most of their games from and then laugh at the skewed normal distribution from the older members.

Marshmellow said:
Can someone bring me up to speed on this? If what i have gathered so far is correct i would be up for testing games/playing set titles. RL achievement unlocked Bern?

Well for starters it'd be interesting to see if we've already got the list covered. I'm guessing we could clear like, 800-900 games. Then we can start on our path to glory.

jambo

evlcookie said:

There's been a few times in the last couple of weeks where I've wished I still had an iPad. So tempted to just put aside some money this pay and then get one the pay after that!

evlcookie said:

I completely forgot it was down until last night when my housemate and I were going to check the Rock Band store and it threw up an error >=[

Bernbaum said:
To be super fucking rad cool, we could insert the year of release of each game and see from what era AusGAF as a collective played most of their games from and then laugh at the skewed normal distribution from the older members.
As I was checking the million boxes my first thought was that I'd love to see a bunch of graphs showing me the year (or decade, or generation) that most of my played games fell under, along with which platforms.

I like stats.

Choc

Banned
well playstation is dead to us now. PS3 and NGP are now dead. No one will trust sony.

sony admits massive privacy breach

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID.

It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

apparently its also gone out to SCEE users (which means us)

anyone get the emails?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Choc said:
so you would trust sony with yoru cc details again? maybe not the ngp, but the psn system is

It's a fault, It's not like it's the first CC flaw in a system ever to have happened. Once it's fixed and up running again no one will have any issues putting in their CC information again.

Not a single thing will happen except sony saying sorry and they have improved their security blah blah. It will continue to get used like normal.

Choc

Banned
i think its times like this we should (i already subscribe) consider subscribing to mycreditfile.com.au

they alert you everytime someone tries to or adds something to your credit file (including when you do it yourself signing up for a phone for example)

$49 a year, tax deductible.

Top Bottom