• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Sydney costs $60,000-70,000 more a year to live in?

=\

average mortgage difference can mean that

jambo it wouldn't surprise me if it did cost that.

I didn't necessarily mean 1-1

what i meant was, you can be easily comfortable in Sydney on 150k to an extent though you would not be doing blow off your companions chest with a 150k dual income

in adelaide you might feel that comfortable on 90k.

It may not be 100% comfortable no finanical strain but on 90k in Sydney you are in a lot more problems than you would be in ADL/Brisvegas

giri

Choc said:
150k does not go far in Sydney at all. I am not saying people on 150k are not rich, they generally are quite well off, but 150k in Sydney is not that much when you consider the standard of living. It's probably the equivalent to 80k-90k in Adelaide and Brisbane. Problem for the Government is that Sydney and Melbourne are such significant outliers in terms of cost that they can't just say oh in Syd and Melb you get a 200k limit because you live in crazy towns, the rest of the country would go mad.

Nop, Bris aint far behind Melb.

Basically the whole eastern seabord is expensive to live in. Sydney is the most expensive, but the differences to melb/bris are lessening.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
Nop, Bris aint far behind Melb.

Basically the whole eastern seabord is expensive to live in. Sydney is the most expensive, but the differences to melb/bris are lessening.

i dunno Giri, my mate just bought a 2 bedroom unit for 350k 20 mins from city

in Sydney you are looking at least 550-600 for that, but thats possibly because developers have fucking RIDICULOUS ideas of what prices should be

giri

Choc said:

in Sydney you are looking at least 550-600 for that, but thats possibly because developers have fucking RIDICULOUS ideas of what prices should be
Where? 20 minutes in peak, or 20 minutes on the weekend? and there are units within a 30 min peak drive for that, but they're not... new, and not in any sort of preferential situation.

elfinke

Choc said:

Cos when they have you over a barrel, you have to pay what they're asking. And as long as people are paying...

Yeach at those prices though. $500k buys you a fucking mansion (on land) where I live.

jambo

Omi said:
Nahh, I just think its a pointless and fruitless discussion, everyone is pretty much going to think they could do with more etc.

I don't (single male here, foreveralone.jpg)

Of course I don't have a mortgage yet, just renting at the moment, although I am going to be buying my first car in a few months. I'd much rather families get tax breaks than me. They're raising children, so they need all the help and money they can get! I'd gladly get taxed more if it meant that my cousin's family didn't get taxed more, letting them look after their 2 young kids.

legend166

So, can someone explain what happened to the following people:

bernbaum
viciouskillersquirrel
AnkhWeasal (pretty sure I see him in Steam chat all the time, but he doesn't post)

elfinke

Omi said:
Nahh, I just think its a pointless and fruitless discussion, everyone is pretty much going to think they could do with more etc.

The end result of such a discussion may well be worthless (unless there are any powerful backseat Labor lobbyists lurking in here), but the discussion itself is good fun. I treat every internet discussion as thought it were taking place in a pub with mates, and you're all just shooting shit at each other. Can't go (far) wrong.

I expected to hear more about the internal post-race machinations from Silverstone too. Am so far disappointed.

jambo

legend166 said:

bernbaum
viciouskillersquirrel
AnkhWeasal (pretty sure I see him in Steam chat all the time, but he doesn't post)

They're all off snorting coke off of Lara Bingle's left buttock while giri sweats away.

Gazunta said:
Bern says he's not returning to AusGAF :(

Did something happen?

Salazar said:
So A Dance With Dragons is tomorrow ?
It's today isn't it? My sister is picking my copy up for me and I'm sure she said she was getting it today. One of the few times I'm happy to pay Australia's inflated book prices.

jambo

commanderdeek said:
Didn't vks say he was getting married or something. Maybe he's busy with that.

lwDEz.gif

I don't really have any intentions of having kids. When all is said and done my partner and I will probably be bringing in over 150K between us (possibly more depending on whether or not we choose to do our masters).

Will we be taxed big time? Yes. Does it bother me? No. I understand why we're the ones being taxed a lot and i have no problem with it.

We are still going to be living a very priviliged life.

giri said:
I don't work uncountable weekends in the past, so that you can squirt out a few more kids because you chose to go boozing or what ever, and met your partner already.

Come the fuck on, what does this comment even mean? So anyone who has a partner or kids is just a lazy boozer? Maybe i'm reading this wrong but that sentence makes you come off as a real bitter douchebag.

giri said:
I haven't worked my ass off so that i now can't afford to go out on my weekends and seek a partner to start my own family or enjoy my time.

Are we just talking hypothetically here? If you are making a 6 figure income and can't afford to go out on weekends then i think the problem rests with you.

As for not having enough money to start a family. Maybe you ought to just find some random person and pump out a bunch of kids, then you will be rolling in the dough!

Salazar

endlessflood said:
It's today isn't it? My sister is picking my copy up for me and I'm sure she said she was getting it today. One of the few times I'm happy to pay Australia's inflated book prices.

Yeah, I was thinking Kindle. I've preordered, and it says the 12th, but I assume that's US.

d4533

Salazar said:
Yeah, I was thinking Kindle. I've preordered, and it says the 12th, but I assume that's US.
The people at work staring at their kindles waiting for it to release tell me it's happening at 5pm (melb time). So only 5 hours to go

Fredescu

legend166 said:

bernbaum
viciouskillersquirrel
I believe Bern went on that overseas business trip and had an epiphany and now tries to play less video games. He did complain that the thread was Chocs poop from his butt GAF more than AusGAF, but that's not a recent thing.
VKS as stated, getting married.
Ankh has never posted much.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
I believe Bern went on that overseas business trip and had an epiphany and now tries to play less video games. He did complain that the thread was Chocs poop from his butt GAF more than AusGAF, but that's not a recent thing.

wat?

poop from my butt?

Jintor

Fredescu said:

What

jambo

Megadrive said:

Would be awesome to have some 3-4 player AusGAF Borderlands going on.

I still haven't played the Siren class at all, so I'd love to start a new lvl1 character.

Jintor said:

I had it after I got back from the US last year, I didn't play as many games for a few months and spent my time doing other stuff.

Gazunta

Much like how since I got an iPhone I haven't even looked at my DS, and the idea of getting a 3DS doesn't interest me one iota?

giri

AdventureRacing said:
1)Come the fuck on, what does this comment even mean? So anyone who has a partner or kids is just a lazy boozer? Maybe i'm reading this wrong but that sentence makes you come off as a real bitter douchebag.

2)Are we just talking hypothetically here? If you are making a 6 figure income and can't afford to go out on weekends then i think the problem rests with you.

3)As for not having enough money to start a family. Maybe you ought to just find some random person and pump out a bunch of kids, then you will be rolling in the dough!
1)The comment was there to ask, why should i be punsihed for having worked a weekend, where others who didn't found a partner due to extra free time and started a family, where i progressed in my career, and not share the burden of their collective choices of government?

2)It's a hypothetical, i obviously didn't budget my self to the limit where i have no room for movement, neither do i have oodles of spare cash where i throw it around frivolouisly. But why is my spare cash worth less to me, than anyone elses, to them? With out meaning this as offensive, your family means not very much to me, as mine probably means not very much to you.

3)Thats EXACTLY what i've been saying all thread.
thanks for completely mis-interpreting everything.

jambo said:

I still haven't played the Siren class at all, so I'd love to start a new lvl1 character.

I played a Soldier for my first playthrough on Xbox, played a little Siren (up to like level 5, not really enough) and I haven't really touched Brick or Mordecai.

edit: So a level 1 start would be great. I had issues with lag when I played with reptile once, hope that can be fixed somehow.

giri said:
1)The comment was there to ask, why should i be punsihed for having worked a weekend
Except if you read the news rags, Aussie battlers have to work the weekend, because their mortgage is so high they can't afford it any other way.

giri

evlcookie said:
Fuck it, I knew i should have picked up borderlands last night. I wasn't too sure if anyone still played that shit.
I got it ages ago, and haven't played it much. I put in maybe 5 - 10 hours, but just couldn't get into it :(

Fredescu

Jintor said:
I... guess...?
So what are you having trouble understanding? Have you never felt that your habit of playing video games was ultimately a complete waste of time, and there are much better things you could be doing that would have a genuinely positive contribution to your wellbeing? If you haven't yet, you will.

Fredescu said:
Have you never felt that your habit of playing video games was ultimately a complete waste of time, and there are much better things you could be doing that would have a genuinely positive contribution to your wellbeing? If you haven't yet, you will.
Yeah, but then I just play a different video game and that sucks all the motivation right out of me, like a good game should.

elfinke

jambo said:

I'm completely down for that. I've played vanilla to death on the 360, but have never played the DLC - I've been waiting to grab it on PC.

Now I just need a PC to play it on!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
another pub clearly listing

Chicken Parmigana
A crumbed chicken schnitzel covered in blah lbah

that isn't a schnitzel

crumbed piece of chicken does not equal schnitzel.

you need to murder it with a mallet.

Jintor

Fredescu said:
So what are you having trouble understanding? Have you never felt that your habit of playing video games was ultimately a complete waste of time, and there are much better things you could be doing that would have a genuinely positive contribution to your wellbeing? If you haven't yet, you will.

But I can do that shit and play videogames. It's not a one or the other combo. It's like reading books.

Shaneus

HolyCheck said:
another pub clearly listing

Chicken Parmigana
A crumbed chicken schnitzel covered in blah lbah

that isn't a schnitzel

crumbed piece of chicken does not equal schnitzel.

you need to murder it with a mallet.
Eh, at least they didn't call it a "schnitty".

Top Bottom