• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Tntnnbltn

I just filled in my tax thing on e-tax, and it is estimating a refund of $7,079.

Now I'm paranoid I've done something wrong. I swear it wasn't that big last year. :-/

MrSerrels

Tntnnbltn said:
I just filled in my tax thing on e-tax, and it is estimating a refund of $7,079.

Now I'm paranoid I've done something wrong. I swear it wasn't that big last year. :-/

Ahahahaha!

Wow. Sign me up for that shit.

Kerrby

Banned
Just read this on Facebook :/. Spoiler for extremely angry and vulgar language haha.

Dear retarded fuck whits
by _____ _______ on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 5:30pm

F@#K why cant u mother F@#KERS get ur shit in check first of all i finish my time as an apprentice great wrong i cant sit my exams until after my time but at least i have finished my schooling but well of coarse u retards dont know how to use a computer u think i havent completed all my subjects i am amazed at the levels of retardation that you display in one organisation i'm surprised you even do up your shoe laces or wipe ur own ass do me a favour and shoot urselves in the head with a nail it may actually make you smarter oh F@%K love peter

I have some lovely friends :p.

Shaneus

Who was he writing that to? Was that all in the one status update or a message he accidentally sent to everyone?

I thought some people on my FB were bad, but that one takes the cake.

So basically... the guy is mad at whoever he did his apprenticeship with because he's finished but he can't do his exams because they think he isn't finished?

Hey could someone with the knowledge help me out here... I moved out of my house about a month ago, and I was living there for a year. We had our gas and electricity through AGL, and we got one bill about every three months, I assumed it was all in one.

Anyway I just got a bill from them with a letter saying that they messed up our gas bills, and that they may be 'delayed'. Anyway they sent us a bill with 13 months worth of gas bills for $1300. Is this ok? That they can just hold back a years worth of bills and just slap us with them? Seems unfair to me.

Fogz

It could be he's done 3 years and wants to finish up. They usually finish their schooling in their 3rd year but its up to their employer whether they'll finish their apprenticeship and become a full fledged tradesman (and more money) or complete the full 4 year apprenticeship.

Tntnnbltn

Kerrby said:
Just read this on Facebook :/. Spoiler for extremely angry and vulgar language haha.

F@#K.

Why can't you mother F@#KERS get your shit in check.

First of all, I finish my time as an apprentice. 'Great!'

Wrong.

I can't sit my exams until after my time [?] but at least I have finished my schooling... but well of course you retards don't know how to use a computer. You think I haven't completed all my subjects. I am amazed at the levels of retardation that you display in one organisation. I'm surprised you even do up your shoe laces or wipe your own ass.

Do me a favour and shoot yourselves in the head with a nail. It may actually make you smarter.

Oh F@%K

Love,
Peter

I have some lovely friends :p.
Punctuated.

Gazunta

Neverender my advice would be to contact your local energy ombudsman. They'll outline what you do and don't have to do and sort out AGL if they're in the wrong.

I was going to finish working on the cover to a comic tonight but half the power switches in the house have died, including the PC. So I'm catchin up on all these iPad games I've never played.

I'd rather be finishing the comic :(

Tntnnbltn

I figured out why I'm getting so rich on my tax return. I only started my job in February, so I only have half a year's income. The income is low enough that I'm still in the lower tax bracket at 15c per dollar. But I've been paying 35c per dollar tax each fortnight, hence the big discrepancy. Next tax return it won't be such a big difference because I'll have a full year's income and I'll be in the higher tax bracket.

Back when we were talking about gay marriage ITT forever ago, a couple of people were quoting an epigram about how rights should be awarded unless they then infringe on the rights of others. Does this sound familiar at all?

Deeku

Been playing a bit of L4D2 online coop since I got it off the steam sale thing. I'm not very good at it, but you pc guys sure are nice and friendly compared to randoms in console multiplayer games. Not only did people tolerate my shittyness, but a guy even talked me through the level and explained everything. It blew my mind.

They probably thought I was chick but still, it was an unbelievably pleasant experience.

Also, I did a lot better than expected in my uni exams. Yay!!:D

Tntnnbltn said:
I figured out why I'm getting so rich on my tax return. I only started my job in February, so I only have half a year's income. The income is low enough that I'm still in the lower tax bracket at 15c per dollar. But I've been paying 35c per dollar tax each fortnight, hence the big discrepancy. Next tax return it won't be such a big difference because I'll have a full year's income and I'll be in the higher tax bracket.

I owe this year, and was in the same situation as you last year. Sucks.

Tntnnbltn said:

so you have 7k worth of deductions or are you due a 7k refund?

elfinke

Tntnnbltn said:

I've read your follow up answer, but damn, that's still awfully nice!

On that note, I historically get very average tax returns. But having changed job twice in the past FY and each of the prior jobs had quiet varied pay packets (overtime, bonuses etc) means I'm apparently estimated to get a rather healthy tax return also.

XfIrb.jpg

Omikron

Planet_JASE said:
*sigh* Or, it's a case of, my cost of living goes up because of the tax and then business slug me because they wish to cover the tax. Why should I (potentially) have to get slugged twice? I'm remaining open minded but I know that I always get slugged the most when it comes to taxes. It gets quite tiring.

As Fred said, you aren't getting slugged twice. I think a lot of the issues with the Carbon Tax are that it is appears to be quite difficult for people to understand. They hear the term tax and figure they are going to be paying it directly. That is for the government to explain I suppose.

Either way, some of the arguments in this thread are interesting, particularly those from the people that clearly are skeptical that climate change etc is actually real.

The way I see it, if you don't want to believe the majority of scientists, just think about it in terms of risk and potential outcomes.

If the climate scientists are wrong but we follow their course of action and spend some money, the worst thing that happens is we spent some extra cash we didn't have to, but have this nice clean future with renewable energy etc.

If the skeptics are wrong and we followed their advice in doing nothing, worst case is the planet is fucked over.

Now, reality is probably somewhere in the middle of both worse case scenarios, but which way do you wanna go?

giri

Omi said:
As Fred said, you aren't getting slugged twice. I think a lot of the issues with the Carbon Tax are that it is appears to be quite difficult for people to understand. They hear the term tax and figure they are going to be paying it directly. That is for the government to explain I suppose.

Either way, some of the arguments in this thread are interesting, particularly those from the people that clearly are skeptical that climate change etc is actually real.

The way I see it, if you don't want to believe the majority of scientists, just think about it in terms of risk and potential outcomes.

If the climate scientists are wrong but we follow their course of action and spend some money, the worst thing that happens is we spent some extra cash we didn't have to, but have this nice clean future with renewable energy etc.

If the skeptics are wrong and we followed their advice in doing nothing, worst case is the planet is fucked over.

Now, reality is probably somewhere in the middle of both worse case scenarios, but which way do you wanna go?

2 things. 1) The tax might not be a traditional tax on my personal income, but the rebates people are going to get are genuinely going into their pocket. 2) I don't doubt we're having some effect, but that the original research alot of follow up research is based upon is false and faked, discredits a lot of findings.

Omikron

giri said:
2 things. 1) The tax might not be a traditional tax on my personal income, but the rebates people are going to get are genuinely going into their pocket. 2) I don't doubt we're having some effect, but that the original research alot of follow up research is based upon is false and faked, discredits a lot of findings.

1) So you are angry that those earning less than you get more in rebates?

2) False and faked? Please provide evidence of such claims. Never mind the fact that it really doesn't address the point I was making.

giri

Omi said:
1) So you are angry that those earning less than you get more in rebates?

2) False and faked? Please provide evidence of such claims. Never mind the fact that it really doesn't address the point I was making.
1)I'm annoyed that a minority of the people in australia are continually the ones that will be footing the burden of, once again, the supposed majority. Every new tax that is brought in is always targeted at my demographic, the supposedly cashed up single person who owns their place. Again, i don't have that much spare cash lying around, in fact, almost none. I'm sick of being the one demographic that never gets a tax break. Earning less? i'm one income. With a mortgage. Supposedly its my job to go to restaurants, or else they'll fail. Go to sporting events, or else the team will fold into bankruptcy. Pay every concievable new tax everyone else in aus can come up with. All the while shopping exclusively for name brands at over priced retailers, or else they'll fail.

2) www.google.com i don't keep the reports book marked. But your response was "a majority of scientists" as the point i was refuting. A majority are using basely incorrect original concepts and hypothesis based on a falsified original report.

elfinke

giri said:
1)I'm annoyed that a minority of the people in australia are continually the ones that will be footing the burden of, once again, the supposed majority. Every new tax that is brought in is always targeted at my demographic, the supposedly cashed up single person who owns their place. Again, i don't have that much spare cash lying around, in fact, almost none. I'm sick of being the one demographic that never gets a tax break. Earning less? i'm one income. With a mortgage. Supposedly its my job to go to restaurants, or else they'll fail. Go to sporting events, or else the team will fold into bankruptcy. Pay every concievable new tax everyone else in aus can come up with. All the while shopping exclusively for name brands at over priced retailers, or else they'll fail.

While I agree with your overarching point (though not about doubting the science behind climate change. Unless I've misread your earlier posts. Sorry) and absolutely sympathise (unless you are earning $150,000+ and are complaining about not being cashed up), you did kind of answer your own question/point:

giri said:
1)I'm annoyed that a minority of the people in australia are continually the ones that will be footing the burden... the supposedly cashed up single person who owns their place.

Cashed up single people who own their own homes are absolutely an ignorable minority from a top down economic point of view, I'd imagine because they are such a minority. I have no facts or figures, just weighing in with anecdotal observation here :D

Omikron

giri said:

2) www.google.com i don't keep the reports book marked. But your response was "a majority of scientists" as the point i was refuting. A majority are using basely incorrect original concepts and hypothesis based on a falsified original report.

1) Everyone will supposedly foot the bill for this tax if the people actually paying (top 500 CO2 emitters) pass on the expense, it is just the area of compensation you have an issue with, not the tax.

As for the footing bill argument, are you the one that chooses to have a mortgage to the value you do, go to sports, buy what you do? Or is someone there absolutely forcing you to do all these things? Seems like a weak position to argue from.

2) It is my job to google you making claims about usage of false evidence? Interesting.

But, seeing as you so kindly supplied the google link, I tried out... 'climate change based on false data'

First returned result is an article from 2001. Or are you talking about that whole IPCC issues and the Hocky Stick Graph stuff?

In which case....

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=still-hotter-than-ever

And anyway, all these arguments kinda of miss my original point I made in my original post.

giri

elfinke said:
While I agree with your overarching point (though not about doubting the science behind climate change. Unless I've misread your earlier posts. Sorry) and absolutely sympathise (unless you are earning $150,000+ and are complaining about not being cashed up), you did kind of answer your own question/point:

Cashed up single people who own their own homes are absolutely an ignorable minority from a top down economic point of view.
Keep punishing people with drive in this country, by taxing the living shit out of them, and the talent exodus from australia will continue. I've said it before, but this place is becomine hostile towards singles who work their asses off to progress in their careers. To the point that it's not to far away from me just saying fuck you, i'm out of here, and moving countries.

I don't work 70 hour weeks to fund other peoples families.

I don't work uncountable weekends in the past, so that you can squirt out a few more kids because you chose to go boozing or what ever, and met your partner already.

I haven't worked my ass off so that i now can't afford to go out on my weekends and seek a partner to start my own family or enjoy my time.

I have a nice unit in a nice area with a 6year old, 2nd hand falcon. I'm not driving around in my new audi A5 coupe throwing back $400 bottles of scotch and then doing coke off this weeks "companion"'s recently increased chest, after having left my penthouse to go to my chatteau down in the ski-fields. I may make 6 figures, but some $35,000+ of that disappears in income tax before i even see it. But apparently, i'm not taxed enough?

Omikron

giri said:
Keep punishing people with drive in this country, by taxing the living shit out of them, and the talent exodus from australia will continue. I've said it before, but this place is becomine hostile towards singles who work their asses off to progress in their careers. To the point that it's not to far away from me just saying fuck you, i'm out of here, and moving countries.

I don't work uncountable weekends in the past, so that you can squirt out a few more kids because you chose to go boozing or what ever, and met your partner already.

I haven't worked my ass off so that i now can't afford to go out on my weekends and seek a partner to start my own family or enjoy my time.

I have a nice unit in a nice area with a 6year old, 2nd hand falcon. I'm not driving around in my new audi A5 coupe throwing back $400 bottles of scotch and then doing coke off this weeks "companion"'s recently increased chest, after having left my penthouse to go to my chatteau down in the ski-fields. I may make 6 figures, but some $35,000+ of that disappears in income tax before i even see it. But apparently, i'm not taxed enough?

You almost make it sound like you are the only hard worker in this country because you are single and committed to your job.

jambo

Omi said:
You almost make it sound like you are the only hard worker in this country because you are single and committed to your job.

Well I certainly know no one around here does any work.

I always over hear people asking why they should bother, what with giri doing all the work and paying for their various lifestyles.

Anyway, I'm off to the steam rooms to snort coke off of one of the receptionists.

r1chard

So we have a share house next door. A bunch of young guys and they love their parties and just having their friends over to share very loud music, including in the cars when they pull up. Sometimes, to emphasise their entrance or exit from the house there needs to be rubber laid on the road.

You, know, the usual stuff. Weekends of doof doof get on the nerves sometimes, but whatcha gonna do? (yes, we've approached them and the agent about it)

Anyway, in a rare appearance one of them turned up to ask if we'd "heard anything". It turns out one of the friends' cars was broken into and the stereo was stolen.

I smiled a little on the inside.

Am I a bad person?

r1chard said:
So we have a share house next door. A bunch of young guys and they love their parties and just having their friends over to share very loud music, including in the cars when they pull up. Sometimes, to emphasise their entrance or exit from the house there needs to be rubber laid on the road.

You, know, the usual stuff. Weekends of doof doof get on the nerves sometimes, but whatcha gonna do? (yes, we've approached them and the agent about it)

Anyway, in a rare appearance one of them turned up to ask if we'd "heard anything". It turns out one of the friends' cars was broken into and the stereo was stolen.

I smiled a little on the inside.

Am I a bad person?

No, but just make sure you move the evidence before they suspect you of anything.

I am in a unit area, we are very respectful of our neighbors and we are all fairly young i spose 20-30 bracket, but parties are few and far between.

elfinke

giri said:
excellent passionate post

Entirely fair enough, and I have a bit of an insiders view on that 'talent exodus' you speak of, as I work in a tertiary environment where there is certainly a lot exporting going on, and many of my graduate friends sought work overseas for a myriad of reasons, some like you mentioned above.

I also understand that for some people, the pay comes with the territory. That is, in order to earn the big 6 figure salaries, you might have to live in an area where the associated living costs are far higher than I'm (generally) subjected to (food and fuel would probably be the only things that really matter).

I'm in 'the country' by the way.

Having said all that...

Omi said:

This is on the mark too. My household, with no children, has a combined income of a bit less than 6 figures. We spend a bit of money on luxury items each fortnight (like budgeting for 6 wines for the fortnight or similar) but don't live extravagantly by any stretch. I own part of my house (the few bricks on the side of the front porch I have paid off) and nearly own my 4 year old car.

There is much less opportunity to earn huge 6 figure salaries where I live, unless you commit to a local accountancy firm for life or similar.

Off this topic, has anyone had an issue with their iPhone where the fucking thing won't let you swipe to answer a phonecall?

giri

Omi said:
It may read that way, but thats not the way its intended. I'm just sick of being continually picked out as a demographic that can support the burdens of everyone else. If the majority want these new initiatives, then EVERYONE should be paying. Families SHOULD cop the burden of the carbon tax. If that makes their life miserably dificult, then that politician will be voted out and someone who will reverse the tax voted in.

This country is heading down the incredibly stupid path of entitlement that they want everything, including new things, with out sacrificing old things. But not at the expense of their life style, oh no, someone else can pay for it.

I'm sick of being that someone else.

The only group i think that should be compensated for the carbon tax is pensioners.

I don't in general have a problem with the taxes in this country, they support huge amounts of government programs of which i'm entirely proud we run. Museums, youth sports, public schools. But if you want a new program, you should accept the responsibility of your opinion and share the burden of paying for it.

Choc

Banned
giri said:

sorry giri but lol awesome description :D

i agree with you though. The tax system in Australia is ridiculous. How much we are taxed is ridiculous

Abolish state governments and be done with it.

giri

Choc said:
sorry giri but lol awesome description :D

i agree with you though. The tax system in Australia is ridiculous. How much we are taxed is ridiculous

Abolish state governments and be done with it.
You'll be glad to know Choc, as i live in QLD, i also get the flood tax this financial year :p

Choc

Banned
Guys Giri is right in many aspects, even though its hard to hear

have a look at the basketcase UK. They had the same attitude we did in the 80s and look at them now, their benefits are out of control

I was over there last year and it was on the news all the time

-If you are a single mum with a kid they give you a house (well rent one for you)

-If you are a pensioner they give you a house (well rent one for you)

this encourages people to get knocked up as soon as they leave school etc. The sense of entitlement in Britain versus hard working is unbeliveable.

They had people on the tv who no one in their family had worked for generations.

Although I don't think it will ever get that extreme in Australia, the sense of entitlement is beyond ridiculous.

It's howard and his middle class welfares fault.

the government view double income and single income no kids as a bank, there is no doubt about it

And what about the fact that you basically get slugged 50% of savings interest in tax, how is that anyway responsible for a Government? They tell you to put money away and then take half of the bonus you get for doing it...

We have one of the most inefficient Government systems in the world. I think Tony Abbott was talking about year on year growth of government departments and expenditure in resources (aka making the public service in Canberra bigger). Recently its been through the roof apparently, and with the creation of the DBCDE and Climate Change depts it does not surprise me.

Yes children cost a lot, there is no doubt, but the Government cannot continue to expect people on a single income such as giri who have a mortgage to continue to fund their bullshit. We are now one of the most costliest places in the world to live. Cheaper to buy the City of London than most of Sydney (which is CRAZY) and so even people who don't have kids struggle to make things meet.

150k does not go far in Sydney at all. I am not saying people on 150k are not rich, they generally are quite well off, but 150k in Sydney is not that much when you consider the standard of living. It's probably the equivalent to 80k-90k in Adelaide and Brisbane. Problem for the Government is that Sydney and Melbourne are such significant outliers in terms of cost that they can't just say oh in Syd and Melb you get a 200k limit because you live in crazy towns, the rest of the country would go mad.

elfinke

giri said:
I don't in general have a problem with the taxes in this country, they support huge amounts of government programs of which i'm entirely proud we run. Museums, youth sports, public schools. But if you want a new program, you should accept the responsibility of your opinion and share the burden of paying for it.

@ the bolded part, mainly.

I don't give a fuck either. Everything goes up in price, welcome to Real Life™, whether you like it or not. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. The interest rate on my house won't be as awesome as it is now forever. Fuel won't be ~1.60 per litre forever (FUCK YOU E10!! 95RON fo' lyf). The purchasing power of the Aus dollar probably won't be as great as it now forever either (although the US can't continue to stave off a double recession forever...).

Choc said:
Although I don't think it will ever get that extreme in Australia, the sense of entitlement is beyond ridiculous.

It's howard and his middle class welfares fault.

Parts of Australia are not that far from there now... but that is dangerous path to tread, not one I'm willing to go down on the internet.

Choc

Banned
elfinke said:
@ the bolded part, mainly.

I don't give a fuck either. Everything goes up in price, welcome to Real Life™, whether you like it or not. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. The interest rate on my house won't be as awesome as it is now forever. Fuel won't be ~1.60 per litre forever (FUCK YOU E10!! 95RON fo' lyf). The purchasing power of the Aus dollar probably won't be as great as it now forever either (although the US can't continue to stave off a double recession forever...).

Parts of Australia are not that far from there now... but that is dangerous path to tread, not one I'm willing to go down on the internet.

i don't think the argument is against prices going up, as you said its a fact of life. It's how certain demographics of the population are viewed by the government, aka banks

elfinke

Choc said:
i don't think the argument is against prices going up, as you said its a fact of life. It's how certain demographics of the population are viewed by the government, aka banks

Yeah, I went through that in response to giri earlier on.

To know that, all you have to do is listen to either of ridiculous 'leaders' (/vomit) rhetoric at the moment. In fact I think we went over this last page, it's always family this and family that. It's both to engender compassionate support to whatever they're saying, as well as to appeal to well, the families of Australia.

Which sucks for all of us who are (by choice) a part of that demographic.

Top Bottom