• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

giri

bodyboarder said:
Glad I recorded it then.

God I hate applying for jobs. Especially when they "want" a ridiculous amount of experience for a 50k job.
As someone who has talked to/worked with recruiters (who are all messed up in the head), if thats for an entry level job where you would normally need a tertiary qualification, the 7 years xp is for people who don't have the tertiary degree.

There's a lot of things that are just wrong about how poeple write ad's, and they then wonder why they get applicants that aren't right.

MrSerrels

So yeah. Just found out that every single email going to the Kotaku tips address in the last month has been going to some random folder instead of my inbox.

I'm so enraged right now. A months worth of news, tips from developers, etc. All late. All pointless.

ARGH!

giri said:
As someone who has talked to/worked with recruiters (who are all messed up in the head), if thats for an entry level job where you would normally need a tertiary qualification, the 7 years xp is for people who don't have the tertiary degree.

There's a lot of things that are just wrong about how poeple write ad's, and they then wonder why they get applicants that aren't right.

In the past, I worked with an internal HR team and had to look at a ton of resumes. Resumes and showreels sent in just in case or occasionally when we had an opening in my field, ones applying after we advertised something specifically. Jesus, sometimes, people only see what they want to see when they read a job ad.

If they put lots of experience down as a prerequisite, chances are they are looking for someone who has done the job before (and hopefully will pay accordingly), not a graduate or a junior type.

It sucks but it's how it is.

I'm on the other side of the fence right now, trying to get back in and lots of experience doesn't always count. Now you also have an extra barrier to contend with- the HR programs like taleo, kenexa, etc that generally are used to sift through resumes looking for keywords so that HR don't have to do it manually anymore. It's why it's really important to take their job ad and try and put as much of what they say they're looking for in your resume.

This too, sucks, but it's how it is.

giri

ClivePwned said:
In the past, I worked with an internal HR team and had to look at a ton of resumes. Resumes and showreels sent in just in case or occasionally when we had an opening in my field, ones applying after we advertised something specifically. Jesus, sometimes, people only see what they want to see when they read a job ad.

If they put lots of experience down as a prerequisite, chances are they are looking for someone who has done the job before (and hopefully will pay accordingly), not a graduate or a junior type.

It sucks but it's how it is.

I'm on the other side of the fence right now, trying to get back in and lots of experience doesn't always count. Now you also have an extra barrier to contend with- the HR programs like taleo, kenexa, etc that generally are used to sift through resumes looking for keywords so that HR don't have to do it manually anymore. It's why it's really important to take their job ad and try and put as much of what they say they're looking for in your resume.

This too, sucks, but it's how it is.
/me shrug

I've found the complete oposite. Though of course, the pay scale usually tells the truth/lie of the HR wishlist.

We had an opening and we had a few things creatively... altered. It was purely an entry level job, and when talking to the recruiter we said "it'd be a great job for a recent business degree graduate", was changed to "must have a business degree". Prior insurance experience beneficial was changed to "must have 4 years experience". And a few other great ones like that. For a 50k job? blergh.

Its why we stopped going through recruitment companies.

Gazunta

My pay is now $5 less than it was before because of the Flood Levy!

OH GOD HOW WILL I MANAGE TO MAKE ENDS MEET ON MY KITCHEN TABLE IN STRUGGLE STREET ETC

In other news I asked five people to give me an opinion on which of five covers I should use for a comic and got five different answers. Grr. Not helping!

In HR talk, I always thought of sending in two different applications with different keywords in the cover letter and seeing what happens.

FallbackPants said:
Keep going it's awesome. I remember throwing grenades in that first mission, are you sure it doesn't teach you how?
B is melee. Isn't it B in like every game now? Active reload is when you time the reload right. When you press reload there is a bar (ala kicking in Madden or something) that pops up under your gun. If you hit reload again at the right time, it's quicker and you maybe do more damage or something. Yeah, it's not super important.

That beserker mission (the one with the blind thing) was pretty dumb. But the actual action and fighting was sweet.
They give you grenades in the tutorial level. I do not recall them telling you how to use them. I may have missed a hint in the top corner of the screen that said how to use them? Melee is B, yeah. I'm still haven't had a chance to implement it. I tried, but it didn't work. I guess I was a little bit surprised that the extent of the tutorial section really was "press button", "kick door" and "hide behind suspiciously placed rubble." I felt that so much of the game wasn't explained to me. It's not that I enjoy having my hand held, it's more that I would like the few but seemingly very important mechanics of the game explained to me.

That's for you response, it's appreciated. I may give it another go at some point in the future. I think it will probably be a case where I crank the difficulty to easy so that I can get through it.

Omi said:
Congratulations
Thank y.. hang on...

Omi said:
on taking my post and selective quoting to meet your argument.
ooowww, that wasn't a sincere congratulations, was it? Anyway, I'm not going to go any further with this conversation as I'm not really sure what it's about anymore. I thought I explained myself well enough that I wasn't trying to win a discussion, I was just having a vent. In fact, I'm not even sure what argument you believe I'm putting forth.

Omi said:
I wasn't calling anyone in particular a sceptic, but rather putting forth both sides of the argument and potential outcomes and where I would rather fit into that. I just addressed your point questions on the Carbon Tax in the opening paragraph, the rest was intended as a general comment.
I'm sorry for not understanding that. As I read it, it seemed to be all addressed to my comment.

Omi said:
Also, if you think that you as a single income middle class guy, as stated, is the only group negatively effected is just wrong. I mean, I am a married man, with new born child and the carbon tax will probably negatively effect me as well. To me the single income group are the biggest whingers going. They always complain like they are the ones being picked on. ;)
Oh, okay. I get the feeling that you think my argument has been that I am the only person affected by this. If I have stated this, it was an error on my part and this is all a misunderstanding. However, I feel confident in thinking that I haven't. There's not a whole lot about the last part of that quote that I like. As I just said, I certain I haven't stated that 'single middleclass' is the only group affected, I'm saddened by your labelling of a group of society en masse like you have, and my whole point has been I get forgotten by the government (which is a difference to being picked on).

I'm not sure if you just see me as part of the group that you label the "biggest whingers going" and have interpreted my posts beyond their intention but this wasn't an argument that I was trying to start nor want to continue.

I'm sure at this point we're just making the thread unpleasant for everyone else. I guess this is why Politics doesn't make sensible dinner conversation.

VIGEO GAMES!!

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows is surprisingly good. The most impressive part, for me, has been the artist direction and difference between the 4 dimension. Each one has a very distinctive style, even the Amazing and Ultimate realities, which are fairly similar. The Noir universe looks absolutely stunning though. Bathed in black, with high contrast yellow highlights, there have been a couple of stages that really wowed me visually. The 2099 universe is the other stand out, too. The exact opposite of the Noir universe, it's overly colourful and vibrant.

When all 4 realities are inter-dispersed amongst each other, it means that you're not having the same visual style or power-set for back-to-back levels, which breaks up the game nicely, too.

And you know what? I may regret saying this if it ever happens, but I think I could very happily play a whole game based on the Noir universe.
Not so much the 2099 Universe.

Planet_JASE said:
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows is surprisingly good. The most impressive part, for me, has been the artist direction and difference between the 4 dimension. Each one has a very distinctive style, even the Amazing and Ultimate realities, which are fairly similar. The Noir universe looks absolutely stunning though. Bathed in black, with high contrast yellow highlights, there have been a couple of stages that really wowed me visually. The 2099 universe is the other stand out, too. The exact opposite of the Noir universe, it's overly colourful and vibrant.

When all 4 realities are inter-dispersed amongst each other, it means that you're not having the same visual style or power-set for back-to-back levels, which breaks up the game nicely, too.

And you know what? I may regret saying this if it ever happens, but I think I could very happily play a whole game based on the Noir universe.
Not so much the 2099 Universe.

Game was good fun. Noir was the worst universe in terms of design and the most boring to play for me. The rest were fine. Hoping the new one coming out will be an improvement by at least half of what WoS was.

Marshmellow said:
Game was good fun. Noir was the worst universe in terms of design and the most boring to play for me. The rest were fine. Hoping the new one coming out will be an improvement by at least half of what WoS was.
Was it because they were stealth levels, because you didn't like their idea of stealth or something else?

Planet_JASE said:
Was it because they were stealth levels, because you didn't like their idea of stealth or something else?

Because it was the most repedative thing i have ever done in an action game. Arkham asylum did it well and so does splinter cell conviction as a comparison. But they stuffed it on this one. Also i didnt really like the environment, im not sure if its a legit spiderman universe but it seems dumb.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Serrles, Out of curiosity, How hard would it be to contact someone at rockstar who was on or is on the GTA team and ask them what they think of the icenhance/dpeasant gta4 mod that's recently come out? How does it make them feel and are they impressed with the graphical improvements and so on.

Along the same lines, What about someone from eidos regarding the deus ex leak. They are allowing people to discuss it on their official forums, are they taking feedback? Have they seen an increase in pre-orders since the leak? or a decrease? are they worried blah blah.

I haven't seen any sort of little news stories like this and it's something i would love to see.

MrSerrels

evlcookie said:
Serrles, Out of curiosity, How hard would it be to contact someone at rockstar who was on or is on the GTA team and ask them what they think of the icenhance/dpeasant gta4 mod that's recently come out? How does it make them feel and are they impressed with the graphical improvements and so on.

Along the same lines, What about someone from eidos regarding the deus ex leak. They are allowing people to discuss it on their official forums, are they taking feedback? Have they seen an increase in pre-orders since the leak? or a decrease? are they worried blah blah.

I haven't seen any sort of little news stories like this and it's something i would love to see.

Both would be tricky. Worth trying though.

evlcookie said:

I Would imagine it isn't safe for Rockstar to comment or endorse the use of a 3rd party application they have no ownership over? ie. if something bad happens as a result of installing them, they wouldn't want to be held responsible.

Your second idea would be interesting to see though, although if they are seeing a decrease in pre-orders i doubt they would want to announce it and get even less :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
MrSerrels said:
Both would be tricky. Worth trying though.

I would imagine both would be tricky.

I think there's a strange sense of developers and individuals behind titles trying to reach out to their audience but it's usually with a PR agenda behind it. I would love for more open and honest discussions about mods to titles, early leaks, general issues and so on. I doubt we are going to see it anytime soon if at all.

MrSerrels

evlcookie said:
I would imagine both would be tricky.

I think there's a strange sense of developers and individuals behind titles trying to reach out to their audience but it's usually with a PR agenda behind it. I would love for more open and honest discussions about mods to titles, early leaks, general issues and so on. I doubt we are going to see it anytime soon if at all.

It depends who does what. Different pubs have different policies about stuff. Typically (and if you are a local PR don't get offended) we don't get much locally, because reps have to go through a mountain of bullshit to get any answer on specific questions. Also - time difference.

There's times when I get word of a rumour or something, and I'll call direct to see what the word is. The easy excuse is like - oh, we'll ask the international office about this, can you hold off until we get word back. But by then the story might be dead, and I've had a couple of occasions where I get the distinct impression they're using that excuse to delay a negative story - which makes sense from their point of view.

Point being - sometimes the whole process is more hassle than its worth. Especially when you end up getting some bullshit cookie cutter response in the end.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
commanderdeek said:
Ahh vook, just the person I was looking for.

Is Solatorobo supposed to be out now?

Sent an email to Namco Bandai asking, will see if I get a reply.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
MrSerrels said:
It depends who does what. Different pubs have different policies about stuff. Typically (and if you are a local PR don't get offended) we don't get much locally, because reps have to go through a mountain of bullshit to get any answer on specific questions. Also - time difference.

There's times when I get word of a rumour or something, and I'll call direct to see what the word is. The easy excuse is like - oh, we'll ask the international office about this, can you hold off until we get word back. But by then the story might be dead, and I've had a couple of occasions where I get the distinct impression they're using that excuse to delay a negative story - which makes sense from their point of view.

Point being - sometimes the whole process is more hassle than its worth. Especially when you end up getting some bullshit cookie cutter response in the end.

Ah that sucks.

The eidos situations is certainly something i'm interested in more so than the GTA4 mod.

When you hear people talk about the E3 presentation of the game, there was no real excitement, they claimed it looked bad and just didn't work.

When people who play the leak talk about the game there's nothing but excitement and just joy. People buying it when they had no interest in the first place, upgrading from the standard to CE. There's very little negativity towards it.

I would guess it's information that will come out after the release of the title, but getting to hear from the main man behind or the team about how it's been since the leak, would be interesting.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/07/06/3262712.htm

Few bother to contribute to government's official Classification debate

Few bother to contribute to Australia's official Classification debate on Internet filter and game ratings, and the majority of those want censorship: Only 80 public submissions have been made, and 80% of those are from people who believe in government intervention for the sake of child protection

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=0ac682945224f85fa1d89d148&id=2507776384

A one sentence submission stating your opinion on the topics has as much weight as any other. Make a submission. Do it now. Spread the word.

Choc

Banned
There is a school of thought that over about 10 questions in a survey and people say why bother

29 questions is ridiculous

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Namco Bandai got back to me, Solatorobo won't be released here. Not economically viable basically.

Import away!

Dead Man

Scrow said:

A one sentence submission stating your opinion on the topics has as much weight as any other. Make a submission. Do it now. Spread the word.
Done. Filled out most of it, thanks for the heads up.

Finished with this: Classification should be about informing consumers, not censoring works. It should not be a cost inflicted on artists or producers of works, but paid for by the people who mandate it, the public.

Though it summed up my feelings well.

evlcookie said:
It's also 29 questions, probably why some can't be arsed.
Choc said:
There is a school of thought that over about 10 questions in a survey and people say why bother

All optional, of course...

Deeku

VOOK said:
Namco Bandai got back to me, Solatorobo won't be released here. Not economically viable basically.

Import away!
Well that's stupid:(

It's been classified and everything.

Oh well, Gamplay.co.uk has it in stock for anyone else interested.

Cheers vook.

Choc

Banned
Scrow said:

perhaps if they shut up about the carbon tax for 5 seconds we might have other stories in politics spoken about

i am fed up with how much its on the tv, not just this week but the last 6 months. And its not going anywhere is it

yes its a big topic, but shit a brick talk about SOMETHING ELSE ON THE NEWS FOR ONCE

legend166

My biggest regret - not bookmarking the page where we talked about to put in my new PC.

:(

Also, can I reuse my Windows 7 install? It's a copy I got for free through the MSDNAA when I was at uni, but I don't think I can access that any more to find my serial number. Is there a way to find out my key?

MrSerrels

Choc said:

There's also the issue of form fatigue. It feels like I've done so many of these. When I filled it in I got a message (after 20 mins of typing) that I'd already done the survey.

I've done so many of these things that I had completely forgotten about doing it the first time.

That's part of the problem I think.

jambo

legend166 said:
Also, can I reuse my Windows 7 install? It's a copy I got for free through the MSDNAA when I was at uni, but I don't think I can access that any more to find my serial number. Is there a way to find out my key?

Magic Jelly Bean

EDIT: Fuck you Fred, fuck you =]

Fredescu

Anyway, complaints about having to do boring old surveys aside, I think I will repost the link to the survey on every new page of the thread. Only a couple of days left. Maybe we should make a thread in Gaming for the people who don't follow the thread.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh you can answer as many or little as you want.

Well someone give me some answers to the questions and I will fill it in :D

I haven't been following it at all and i'm super tired, which isn't good when you're at work.

Gazunta

JESUS. The comic is finally off to the printers. Now to get started on the next one so they'll both be ready for Supanovember. Sodding exhausted.

in GAMING news, Jeff Minter's new one will be up on the AppStore sometime in the next 24 hours...yes yes yes yes yes

Top Bottom