• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
kinda ironic that amirox posted that

you can't swear?

oh man

:|

although some may say that is a positive for ausgaf :D

Dead Man

jambo said:
No more sexual advice threads? How does that make any sense, they were the funniest part of OT.

Edit: Since that thread is locked, can anyone explain why an advertiser cares if the ad shows up on a forum that they may not consider family friendly? And why Google can't just whitelist those ads and sites rather than clamping on everybody?

More I think about it the less sense this makes. It basically mandates any site that wants to use adsense has to be 'family friendly' as defined by some other mob?

Gazunta

Yeah, had to figure that was going to happen at some point.

Google Ads don't run on any of my "Henry The Sexually Perverted Chocolate Bar" pages, and I'm worried they're going to throw down the ban hammer at some point if those pages get more popular than other ones across the site. I'd like to rename them, but "Henry The Chocolate Bar" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Choc

Banned
google are fucking pansies (i'll swear until i can't)

they have adult search returns, and they have adult things come up when you turn safe search off

just don't have gaf listed in safe search

this is called, censorship. thanks google.

jambo

I'd much rather pay a monthly or yearly sub fee than have an ad-supported, censored forum.

They've already started deleting threads, like the fap contest thread and the post hot men/women threads. Amir0x also said they will probably close all of the homebrew threads as well as threads discussing illegal drugs, i.e. marijuana threads and eccy threads.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
I'd much rather pay a monthly or yearly sub fee than have an ad-supported, censored forum.

They've already started deleting threads, like the fap contest thread and the post hot men/women threads. Amir0x also said they will probably close all of the homebrew threads as well as threads discussing illegal drugs, i.e. marijuana threads and eccy threads.

by removing what makes gaf unique, you remove the reason for being here

Dead Man

jambo said:

For fucks sake...

Fredescu said:
http://www.heathenscripture.com/you-shut-your-goddamn-carbon-taxin-mouth/

The rubbish in the OT does not make GAF unique. "Violent content" with regards to screenshots of games etc is a much bigger issue.
Love that link, disagree with the second part a bit. It doesn't make GAF unique, but it certainly makes it one of the few places you can discuss topics with a modicum of civility that would degenerate on every other forum I've been too. The screenshot issue is legitimate though.

jambo

Choc said:
by removing what makes gaf unique, you remove the reason for being here

Pretty much. One of the main reasons I love GAF so much is because of all of those topics that are normally taboo on forums. GAF OT is like the Wild West, apart from a few select subjects, anything goes.

Or at least it used to...

=[

Choc

Banned
yeah what if there is a sex scene in a game and people talk about it and post images

i mean shit if thats gone, forget it, whats the point of having a game forum

talk about G rated shit all day?

jambo

Fredescu said:
The rubbish in the OT does not make GAF unique.

Yes it does. There aren't many massive, active forums that allow threads that discuss sex, recreational drug use or homebrew.

NeoGAF: Come for the Gaming, stay for the OT.

Fredescu

jambo said:
Yes it does. There aren't many massive, active forums that allow threads that discuss sex, recreational drug use or homebrew.
Maybe among video gaming message boards. Places like Reddit and SA have entire sub forums devoted to those topics. There are good mature general purpose message boards like the Straight Dope that will discuss topics like those too.

Dead Man

Fredescu said:
Maybe among video gaming message boards. Places like Reddit and SA have entire sub forums devoted to those topics. There are good mature general purpose message boards like the Straight Dope that will discuss topics like those too.
Reddit is rubbish, SA is splintered into sabilion subforums... I LIKE the posters on GAF. Fuckingshitsucks.gif

jambo

Fredescu said:

That's what I meant. And I know that Reddit and SA have forums for it, but I've been on NeoGAF for 2~ years now. I know the members, I know the atmosphere, I know the vibe =P. I don't want to have to go somewhere else for that all of a sudden and have a cut down, censored OT area.

Fredescu

Of course the posters make it unique. That also makes every other message board unique. I was disagreeing with the fact that the content is unique, when it's anything but.

Shaneus

I often wonder just how much the costs could be and why they couldn't be subsidized by users. If they ran it on a similar model to how (I think) SA works (can read but can't post unless you're a paid member) surely they'd have enough money to pay for traffic and hosting costs.

Dead Man

Reposting from another thread:

What I want clarified is whether discussion = promotion, since that seems to be the key wording in the Adsense rules. If it does, then OT is dead. No alcohol, no prescription drugs, no smoking, no herbals, no darwin award stories, no youtube links (lol, the irony), no sexual advice, which basically means no sex discussion at all. The violence clause would seem to make many screenshots problematic too.

If discussion does not equate to promotion, then it seems that almost everything we had before was fine anyway...

Choc

Banned
Dead Man said:
Reposting from another thread:

What I want clarified is whether discussion = promotion, since that seems to be the key wording in the Adsense rules. If it does, then OT is dead. No alcohol, no prescription drugs, no smoking, no herbals, no darwin award stories, no youtube links (lol, the irony), no sexual advice, which basically means no sex discussion at all. The violence clause would seem to make many screenshots problematic too.

If discussion does not equate to promotion, then it seems that almost everything we had before was fine anyway...

time for our american friends to pull the bill of rights and freedom of speech constitutional rights out of their arse

it could be against the law in the US for Google to restrict freedom of discussion.

jambo

Fredescu said:
Of course the posters make it unique. That also makes every other message board unique. I was disagreeing with the fact that the content is unique, when it's anything but.

Dash: Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of. Our powers made us special.
Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
Dash: Which is another way of saying no one is...

Dead Man

jambo said:
Dash: Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of. Our powers made us special.
Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
Dash: Which is another way of saying no one is...
I love that movie so much.

jambo said:
They've already started deleting threads ... they will probably close all of the homebrew threads as well as threads discussing illegal drugs, i.e. marijuana threads and eccy threads.
So where will AusGAF end up when the sh... [oh dear I'm not allowed to swear any more] hits the fan?

Shaneus

I'm surprised that they're actively *deleting* threads, too. Couldn't they just lock them for archival purposes and leave it at that?

Shaneus said:
I'm surprised that they're actively *deleting* threads, too. Couldn't they just lock them for archival purposes and leave it at that?

Wouldn't there still be ads on the pages if someone viewed them?

Shaneus

DualShadow said:
Wouldn't there still be ads on the pages if someone viewed them?
Y... yeah. Good point. I just don't like the idea of all the awesome legally grey-area threads being completely obliterated.

Shaneus said:
Google would still crawl over them.

A robots.txt wouldn't even work either, because the three are subforums, not completely separate ones. If they were completely separate ones with different URLs, you could use a robots.txt to stop Google from crawling.

Dead Man

jambo said:
Why did they have to make Cars 2 when they could've made The Incredibles 2?

='[
I actually don't want a sequel, it is perfect as a self contained story. I think you could make a sequel worth watching, but the main draw for me would be the characters. As far as story goes, I think it is perfect as it is.

jambo

Dead Man said:
I actually don't want a sequel, it is perfect as a self contained story. I think you could make a sequel worth watching, but the main draw for me would be the characters. As far as story goes, I think it is perfect as it is.

I meant more that when they decided they were definitely going to make a sequel to one of their movies, why in gods name did they choose Cars?!

Dead Man said:

I would tend to agree here. It would ruin it for me if they did a dumb offshoot story or something that wasn't well thought out.

On this note, Puss in Boots......1) why did he need his own movie? 2) if its bad its going to ruin my image of his presence in shrek.

Dead Man

jambo said:
I meant more that when they decided they were definitely going to make a sequel to one of their movies, why in gods name did they choose Cars?!
Well, yes, that I heartily agree with. Terrible choice.

legend166

Ok guys I'm looking at this for my build:

gamingbuild2011.png

Any opinions appreciated.

jambo said:

Cars is the second Pixar film, after Toy Story, to have a sequel. John Lasseter, the director of the film, said that he was convinced of the sequel's story while traveling around the world promoting the first film. He said:
I kept looking out thinking, 'What would Mater do in this situation, you know?' I could imagine him driving around on the wrong side of the road in the UK, going around in big, giant traveling circles in Paris, on the autobahn in Germany, dealing with the motor scooters in Italy, trying to figure out road signs in Japan.
Cars 2 was originally scheduled for a summer 2012 release, but Pixar moved the release up by a year.

EDIT: Now you have someone to hate Jambo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking wow at our property manager. A month ago, we were told the rent was going up by $40 (!!) a month. After heaps of stress, we lost a housemate and finally came to the conclusion that we'd have to move out.

Skip forward to today, I got a phone call directly from our landlord asking us why we were moving out. She said she was disappointed because we looked after the place and the neighbors love us. Apparently she had only suggested a typical 5% increase, and was AND IS happy to leave the rent at the current price if it was between that and us moving out. We collectively flipped our shit, because we had handed in our 28 days notice.

Needless to say, we got a call from our awful property manager. No price increase. I gave her an earful, and I expect the landlord did too. She had outright lied to us on multiple occasions about how much the rent would be, and the typical "I'll try and get the landlord to go lower but. Wouldn't count on it" routine.

You know, I really hate it when so called professionals force me to be the bad guy. I project professionalism and expect to get it back in return. When you have to be the bad guy and threaten people to get any respect or to just get someone to do what they're paid to do, there is something wrong with the system.

We lost so much sleep over this. I'm still fuming, even though I'm ridiculously relieved.

Dead Man

Marshmellow said:
Cars is the second Pixar film, after Toy Story, to have a sequel.[33] John Lasseter, the director of the film, said that he was convinced of the sequel's story while traveling around the world promoting the first film. He said:
I kept looking out thinking, 'What would Mater do in this situation, you know?' I could imagine him driving around on the wrong side of the road in the UK, going around in big, giant traveling circles in Paris, on the autobahn in Germany, dealing with the motor scooters in Italy, trying to figure out road signs in Japan.[34]
Cars 2 was originally scheduled for a summer 2012 release, but Pixar moved the release up by a year.[35]
John Lasseter needs to be shot. Herp derp what would generic american character x do when overseas?

Rez said:
Fucking wow at our property manager. A month ago, we were told the rent was going up by $40 (!!) a month. After heaps of stress, we lost a housemate and finally came to the conclusion that we'd have to move out.

Skip forward to today, I got a phone call directly from our landlord asking us why we were moving out. She said she was disappointed because we looked after the place and the neighbors love us. Apparently she had only suggested a typical 5% increase, and was AND IS happy to leave the rent at the current price if it was between that and us moving out. We collectively flipped our shit, because we had handed in our 28 days notice.

Needless to say, we got a call from our awful property manager. No price increase. I gave her an earful, and I expect the landlord did too. She had outright lied to us on multiple occasions about how much the rent would be, and the typical "I'll try and get the landlord to go lower but. Wouldn't count on it" routine.

You know, I really hate it when so called professionals force me to be the bad guy. I project professionalism and expect to get it back in return. When you have to be the bad guy and threaten people to get any respect or to just get someone to do what they're paid to do, there is something wrong with the system.

We lost so much sleep over this. I'm still fuming, even though I'm ridiculously relieved.
Bloody hell. I hope your landlord gets a new property manager, that is fucked.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Couldn't they just modify the google ads or are you unable to do that? Make it so only 10 specific ones are allowed to be shown on X website or something?

It seems a little drastic. GAF was and is enjoyable because of how open it can be, Very little, if anything is filtered.

If they do go ahead of it then I have to wonder how many people will actually stick around. Forcing it to be "dumbed" down (maybe it's not that) wouldn't promote the growth of the site.

Will wait and see what evil does regarding the situations. I think a lot of people would be happy to just donate to get rid of the ads but i'm sure the ads bring in some excess $$$ over the running costs, Would be hard to get rid of that.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Keeping your existing DVD and HDD? Make sure they're SATA or you won't be able to plug them into that board.

Marshmellow said:
Why the choices on CPU and Video card legend?
Running to a budget or just not looking at the higher end?
There's no need for anyone to go higher than that CPU for gaming. The video card is pretty good bang for buck.

Fredescu said:
There's no need for anyone to go higher than that CPU for gaming. The video card is pretty good bang for buck.

Questioning them because the i7 960 is like 50 bucks more and of course depending on what games he plays, will last him alot longer and obviously provide better performance in the future

Also personally i would go for ATI. So far i have been nvidia but my mates always get ATI and i always seem to be outdone, also pricing for nvidia is crap imo.

jambo

Marshmellow said:
John Lasseter, the director of the film, said that he was convinced of the sequel's story while traveling around the world promoting the first film. He said:
I kept looking out thinking, 'What would Mater do in this situation, you know?' I could imagine him driving around on the wrong side of the road in the UK, going around in big, giant traveling circles in Paris, on the autobahn in Germany, dealing with the motor scooters in Italy, trying to figure out road signs in Japan.

EDIT: Now you have someone to hate Jambo

What in the f...

facepalm.jpg

Rez said:
Fucking wow at our property manager....

-rant-

Mother fucker. That post coupled with your avatar makes me hope you said this to her

RrQl4.gif

kase23

legend166 said:
Ok guys I'm looking at this for my build:

gamingbuild2011.png

If you're not planning to use the onchip GPU on the 2500k save yourself a few bucks and get a P68 motherboard instead.

Top Bottom