• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

Marshmellow said:
Questioning them because the i7 960 is like 50 bucks more and of course depending on what games he plays, will last him alot longer and obviously provide better performance in the future
The i7 960 is first gen, the 2500k is second gen. The 2500k will beat it in most things. See: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=157

Marshmellow said:
Also personally i would go for ATI. So far i have been nvidia but my mates always get ATI and i always seem to be outdone, also pricing for nvidia is crap imo.
The 560ti is the best bang for buck at that price point. Pricing between the two is closer than it's ever been.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SSD caching isn't worth it.

You could go a newer gen SSD if you wanted the extra speed on a sata 6 port. I have the M4 64GB which is sata 6 and it's $30 more than your ocz.

GPU is pretty much a GPU i would imagine for the 560s. Go with what looks pretty

kase23

legend166 said:
In terms of performance the Gainward is by like 0.10%, the overclock is so tiny you wouldn't really see any difference ingame, you could use rivatune to OC the evga faster anyway.
the EVGA has a better cooler anyway the only flaw that card brand has is that the warranty begins from the factory creation date when sold in AUS , in the US its lifetime.

Edit: Also did you see my other comment last page?

legend166

kase23 said:
In terms of performance the Gainward is by like 0.10%, the overclock is so tiny you wouldn't really see any difference ingame, you could use rivatune to OC the evga faster anyway.
the EVGA has a better cooler anyway the only flaw that card brand has is that the warranty begins from the factory creation date when sold in AUS , in the US its lifetime.

Edit: Also did you see my other comment last page?

Just saw it then. What would on board GPU be used for anyway?

Fredescu

I gave you thoughts on the last page :p

Overall it's sweet. If you want to spend more you could bump up the GPU. If you want to spend less you could probably do with a P67 board (the techo in me loves the idea of having an extra onboard video card as a failsafe and the Z68 board gives you that). If you want to be prettier, you could get a different case.

legend166 said:
Technically the EVGA would be slightly faster since it's clocked higher. They also have a better rep, but I don't know what their warranty is in Aus. They have a lifetime warranty in the US. If you can choose other options, the ASUS Direct CU II and MSI Twin Frozr II have quieter coolers.

legend166 said:
Just saw it then. What would on board GPU be used for anyway?
Troubleshooting!

legend166

I'm making the build on MSY and seeing how much that would cost me. What's the next step up for the GPU?

I think I'd be ok without an onboard GPU. I'll just leave my 8800GT sitting in the drawer so if my other one dies I can chuck that in.

Fredescu

Michael Jackson bomba

282704_201632533218702_114473175267972_547765_7239365_n.jpg

kase23

Fredescu said:
GTX570. The ATI equivalent at that price point is the 6970 which gives you a little more VRAM for your money.
Price wise though i would put the 6950 before the 570, its only $30 more on average then the 560ti but the performance jump is very noticable.

legend166

Looks like the Z68 is only $10 more anyway. Might as well go with that.

So from MSY, I can get this:

AsRock Z68 Pro 3
Intel i5-2500K
G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 1600 - 8G (4Gx2)
1280M GTX570 Inno3D
Coolermaster HAF RC-912A
Seasonic S12-II 80+ 620W

So I keep the Z68, bump it up to 8GB of RAM, and get the GTX570 instead of the 560 Ti.

That's $998 without the SSD. What's your SSD cookie?

Fredescu

Just to note, you've listed the S12 PSU rather than the M12, the difference being that the latter is modular. Modular PSUs are awesome. If they don't have the M12, the Corsair HX 650 is another popular one.

kase23

legend166 said:

AsRock Z68 Pro 3
Intel i5-2500K
1280M GTX570 Inno3D
Coolermaster HAF RC-912A
Seasonic S12-II 80+ 620W

So I keep the Z68, bump it up to 8GB of RAM, and get the GTX570 instead of the 560 Ti.

That's $998 without the SSD. What's your SSD cookie?
Looks good but skip the Inno3d (shite house in every way brand) and get the Gigabye or Asus if you're shopping at MSY

Shaneus

legend166 said:

AsRock Z68 Pro 3
Intel i5-2500K
1280M GTX570 Inno3D
Coolermaster HAF RC-912A
Seasonic S12-II 80+ 620W

All of that is only a grand? Holy shit, that's ridiculous. I could go a similar setup but upgrade the mobo, use my existing case, PSU and GPUs and smash the shit out of everything for very minimal cost.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
All of that is only a grand? Holy shit, that's ridiculous. I could go a similar setup but upgrade the mobo, use my existing case, PSU and GPUs and smash the shit out of everything for very minimal cost.
Yep. I will be building from scratch when I finally do, but it is a very good time to be a pc gamer.

legend166

Ok here's my cart, sans SSD:

AsRock Z68-Pro3 Intel Z68 DDR3 DVI HDMI SATA3 1155pin Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 1155pin Boxed CPU
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600
Inno3D 1280M GTX570 PCI-E VGA Card
Coolermaster RC-912A-KWN1 HAF 912 Advanced NO PSU
Seasonic M12II-620Watt 80Plus Bronze Power Supply Unit

$1010.

Looking at MSY, the GTX is basically in the same price range as the 2G 6970. What's better?

kase23

legend166 said:
Worth the extra $30 though?

Better build quality plus both Asus and Gigabyte have RMA centers in australia.
I can still remember the horror stories involving Inno3ds take on the gtx260 and gtx275 series

legend166 said:
Looking at MSY, the GTX is basically in the same price range as the 2G 6970. What's better?
Both get you the same performance, the Ati has eyefinity for multiscreens if that floats your boat.

Choc

Banned
maybe there is no justice after all

Plea over intruder shooting: My home, my castle, my right
courts

MAN who confronted intruders and fired their own gun on one in self-defence, now facing a manslaughter charge, court told.

http://www.news.com.au/national/man-who-shot-intruder-is-real-victim/story-e6frfkvr-1226093749448

in other news, Queenslanders making us proud yet again, not.

A FIERY slanging match between shoppers outside a Brisbane supermarket has overrun Prime Minister Julia Gillard's campaign to sell her government's carbon tax.

Ros Brown, who describes herself as an ordinary housewife, drove across town when she heard Ms Gillard would be touring Fairfield Gardens shopping centre today.

As Ms Gillard greeted shoppers in the flood-hit suburb, Ms Brown began screaming about her lack of a mandate, sparking a heated exchange with another shopper.

Gabrielle Sottile, who said she was from a fourth-generation Labor family, heard Ms Brown's shouts as she emerged from Coles, and started yelling back.

"She does have a mandate, she has our mandate, she might not have yours," she shouted, with two other shoppers piping up in support.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
How is Powercolor as a brand?
Fairly cheap but from what I understand, reliable. More than build quality, you're better off banking on how good the warranty and after-sales support is/are.
Choc said:
maybe there is no justice after all

Plea over intruder shooting: My home, my castle, my right
courts

MAN who confronted intruders and fired their own gun on one in self-defence, now facing a manslaughter charge, court told.

http://www.news.com.au/national/man-who-shot-intruder-is-real-victim/story-e6frfkvr-1226093749448
Ugh, that shits me. Pretty cut-and-dried case of self defense, guy was even shot in the leg and the "offender" still gets charged.

legend166

Ok, this is everything, including an SSD and an extra 2TB HDD for storage (I was originally going to buy a 1TB external drive, but I don't move stuff around often anyway, so may as well pay $20 less, get an internal one and get double the space).

Asus ATI EAH6970 PCI-E 2.1 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 890/5500MHz
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
ASRock Z68-Pro3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic
OCZ SSD 2.5" SATA 60GB Vertex2 285/275MB/S
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD

Grand total: $1262.

elfinke

I'm a bit late to add anything of merit to your upgrade discussion (it's a pretty hot looking build!), but just check 2 things with the SSD - whether it is SATA 2 or 3 and its compatibility with your system, and extension of that, if there are any known issues with that particular SSD.

A quick google tells me everything is fine (but I will note that it was a very quick google) but just check before you pull the trigger.

I don't expect any issues in the land of the desktop PC, but from my limited browsing around for laptops with SSD's (hurry uuuuuuuuup tax return!), these are the 2 things that keep cropping up in discussions for them.

jambo

Fuck you legend, now I'm getting the upgrade itch too :lol

My current rig

Core i7 870
Galaxy GTX 570 1280 MB
4GB DDR3
Corsair HX-650W

Only thing I'd really do is the graphics card and PSU.

Legend, I could buy a 580/590 and sell you my 570 =P

giri said:
You're right, but also seeming to be wilfully ignorant that extra time spent on one thing is much more likely to develop that thing. It's entirely possible to do both yes, they aren't mutually exclusive. But prioritizing one, usually leads to a hinderance of the other.

Of course. The problem is you're assuming that people who are married haven't put the same time into work as you have.

giri said:
You gave an example of complete extremes. An example so extreme, it doesn't make a point, it hinders yours in its completely unrealistic application. If the topic were child safety, you compared a child born africa under a tribal warlord whose parents are of a different heritage to the warlords who just got a new shipment of guns, to the kid whose dad enjoys a six pack on the weekend.

It does make a point and is directly relevant to what you said. You asked why your spare cash is less important than someone elses as if to imply that everyones should be equal. In the example i provided the 2 peoples spare cash clearly weren't equal. You can say that it's a massively extreme example but that doesn't make it irrelevant.

The question should be how different should peoples spare cash be treated and what limits should be placed on this.

giri said:
So no, i reject your premise, and the baseless foundation you're building it upon.

Just because you dismiss it doesn't make it baseless.

giri said:
Is the spare cash of someone who puts aside $200 worth less to him than the guy who puts aside $50? no. no it's not. Both are small sums that don't have a large margin of tollerance, every dollar that is missing from it is noticed. The guy who is putting aside $50 might get in trouble first, but that just rings more alarm bells for the person putting aside $200.

I think it's impossible to make any sort of judgement without knowing their income. If they both make the same amount of money they should be treated the same. If the one putting away 200$ is earning 200K whilst the one putting away 50$ is earning 50K a year then there is no question in my mind that they should be treated differently.

If the 2 people are earning a similar income they should be treated pretty much the same, which as far as i know, is how the system works now.

giri said:
If you then put a new tax in, levying the person putting aside $200, so that the other person is back in the black by $50, meaning the first now only has $150, the other $50 again, you think this fair?

Again i think it's very difficult to discuss this without knowing what their income is. It also depends on exactly how much this new tax will affect someone at those salaries and what the levy would be.

Without knowing exactly what that would be i can't really answer your example.

giri said:
I disagree with your argument, because of the illogical way you're arguing it. On this point anyway. Do i think if you earn more, you should pay more tax? yes, i do. Don't have a problem with that.

Doesn't this mean that you accept the premise that everyones spare cash should be treated differently? If so why were we even arguing that point?

giri said:
Do i think every new tax should be only targeted at those of "apparent" wealth? no, i don't. If society as a whole wants to keep adding new sides and additional perks to their meal, its no longer about making sure people are getting fed.

First of all i just find it hard to believe that every single new tax is solely targeted at people with wealth (though i'm sure most are and i agree with that).

What do you mean that society just wants to keep adding new sides? It's not like we as a collective are trying to buy an expensive set of wine from France. Sure this tax may not specifically be about feeding the starving but it is something that affects our whole society and has the potential to impact future generations.

giri said:
No, you did completely miss the point.

I don't think i did.

giri said:
Sigh, again, apply the story. We don't all need the carbon tax, some of us don't want it, but if the majority have decided we should, then we should all accept the equal burden. It's not a tax that if it doesn't happen, people will starve and children next year will wake up mutated with cockroach limbs. It's a complete luxury tax. You don't NEED dessert to enjoy your meal, the steak you just had isn't diminished by not having dessert.

How is it a luxury tax? Taking action against climate change (or whatever it's called now) is important and does have the potential to cause some pretty significant impacts.

If you want to argue that you don't think the carbon tax is the right way to go then you can have your say when you vote.

How is a tax aimed at reducing carbon emissions with the purpose of preventing severe problems in the future in anyway comparable to having dessert with your dinner.

I don't need to apply the story again, i already stated my position regarding it. I don't think it's comparable because unlike you i don't view this as a luxury tax.

giri said:
I'm saying, that if we as a society want to continue to add new taxes, taxes that aren't about our standard of living, or basic human rights, but are completely redundant, then we as a society should start all paying equally for them.

Except this is a tax which very well could impact the standard of living. Maybe if this was some random luxury tax i would be more accepting of your position but i disagree with the premise that it is a luxury tax.

giri said:
I'm sick of being one of many demographics that has been targeted as a ATM that can just continually be taxed unmercilously purely because of a mis-conception that i'm rolling in cash. It speaks of a entitlement state that perpetuates throughout this country. Maybe if society as a whole had to start paying for everything they "wished for", they would all stop treating the government and elections as santa and their wishlist.

Come on really? I'm sure that's exactly what everyone is hoping for. "Please santa the one thing i want for christmas is a tax on carbon".

I also disagree that they just unmercilously tax people with lots of money because of a misconception that they're just rolling in the cash.

When a new tax is coming in they have to choose who to tax the hardest. I think the person earning more money is the likely candidate to be taxed more for fairly obvious reason.

giri said:
And i don't know who you are that you think you can sit back and judge my level of sacrafice.

Except you're the one doing this. By talking about how you've made massive sacrifices and even implying that people who are married or have kids haven't made the same sacrifices. You're making judgements about them whether or not it was intended.

I also don't understand how you expect to sit here and say how you've sacrificed more than most (as stated above) and not expect to have that commented on.

You're the one who brought up your apparent level of sacrifice in the first place (as a pretty significant part of your argument btw), i simply responded to that.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
Fucking wow at our property manager. A month ago, we were told the rent was going up by $40 (!!) a month. After heaps of stress, we lost a housemate and finally came to the conclusion that we'd have to move out.

Skip forward to today, I got a phone call directly from our landlord asking us why we were moving out. She said she was disappointed because we looked after the place and the neighbors love us. Apparently she had only suggested a typical 5% increase, and was AND IS happy to leave the rent at the current price if it was between that and us moving out. We collectively flipped our shit, because we had handed in our 28 days notice.

Needless to say, we got a call from our awful property manager. No price increase. I gave her an earful, and I expect the landlord did too. She had outright lied to us on multiple occasions about how much the rent would be, and the typical "I'll try and get the landlord to go lower but. Wouldn't count on it" routine.

You know, I really hate it when so called professionals force me to be the bad guy. I project professionalism and expect to get it back in return. When you have to be the bad guy and threaten people to get any respect or to just get someone to do what they're paid to do, there is something wrong with the system.

We lost so much sleep over this. I'm still fuming, even though I'm ridiculously relieved.

Take that shit to the Renters Tribual. Get them in trouble as that is against the law.

Top Bottom