• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta

Huh, all iOS apps in Australia are now 20% off - in other words, the Aussie App Store is now pricing at parity with the US one!

Edit damn you Rlaaaaaaaaaaan

Choc

Banned
Rlan said:
AWESOME! looks like everything in the Australian app store just went %20 off! Finally a correction for the exchange rate!

Good luck buying something today Rlan, you should know as well as I do itunes connect is screwed today :)

LION LION LION LION LION LION LION though

edit: wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the ACCC sent a please explain to Apple

giri

Choc said:
I used to run the Sydney Gamers League along with a few blokes, like AGES ago, seriously before broadband internet was mainstream.

Also used to sometimes meetup with and do things with Trog and the guys from QGL/Ausgamers
SGL? the guys who tried to copy every file off the QGL files website by just... downloading them over http? THOSE SGL guys?

That also means you know dirty crusher and his goat fetish from the New Castle events he used to run.

(I used to be very involved in that community).

Choc

Banned
giri said:
SGL? the guys who tried to copy every file off the QGL files website by just... downloading them over http? THOSE SGL guys?

That also means you know dirty crusher and his goat fetish from the New Castle events he used to run.

(I used to be very involved in that community).

hahaha Crusher was one of my best mates from the LAN :) Top bloke.

I wasn't involved in that part of it giri. For some reason some of us felt a war with Ausgamers was a good idea, i didnt.

I used to attend MPU with Bane as well

giri

Choc said:
hahaha Crusher was one of my best mates from the LAN :) Top bloke.

I wasn't involved in that part of it giri. For some reason some of us felt a war with Ausgamers was a good idea, i didnt.

I used to attend MPU with Bane as well
Yeah, the whole SGL vs AGN thing was... odd. Never made much sense. i didn't really get into that it was just weird. Particularly as they had a few blokes there that were good people, crusher (NGL that's what he called it) etc. Mar used to attend both too iirc

The days when limpz would give up in the third game of a q2 duel final so he could go to a rave. When FXR were still around, and the inevitable debates about if it was a good idea to turn the lights off at a lan over night or not.

I attended too many lans ><

Choc

Banned
giri whatever happened to Lobby and Python from FXR

got real jobs i spose ? :)

also do you know of silvameth? dated her for a bit back in the day

giri

Choc said:
giri whatever happened to Lobby and Python from FXR

got real jobs i spose ? :)

also do you know of silvameth? dated her for a bit back in the day
Pyth was around recently, in the quake scene. I think they managed to get sponsorship together to send someone to quakecon for the quakelive tourney, and it came down to him and someone else. He controversially won (something about disconns/resets). But he gave up the trip to the second place person as he'd had his time. Last i heard he was working tech support somewhere (that was about 5 years ago) trying to move into some corporates IT area. I think he may even have got the job on the back of a recomendation from crusher? not too sure on that though.

Don't know what happened to lobstah, once he moved to syd from bris he completely dropped off my radar.

I still vaguely hear about trog/boba and a few of them, but rarely.

I knew of silva, couldn't say i knew her though. I knew kitten more cause she was bit of a rocket arena person, and so was i. but again, not overly well.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
edit: wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the ACCC sent a please explain to Apple

What?

Edit: looked into it. Just spoke to an ACCC rep who pretty much said that the reason nothing is being done about game prices is that people don't complain enough!

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
What?

Edit: looked into it. Just spoke to an ACCC rep who pretty much said that the reason nothing is being done about game prices is that people don't complain enough!

SMH had major coverage on pricing disparity and contacted ACCC who were looking into it and would contact apple apparently

SMH focus was on music though

Jintor

MrSerrels said:
What?

You know what you must do, sah

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Madrical

Banned
Gazunta said:
ricki-lee_official_closeup_bareshoulder_300x400.jpg

Madrigal, I used to go to LAN events a lot. They're fun if you either know a couple of people there, or have enough social skills to get to know a couple of people in a short amount of time.
lol pc gamers etc
Even if not it's definitely worth going at least once.

Just make sure you protect your PC who knows what's floating around everyone's machines...

BTW Jeff Minter's new game Deflex is out. It's rather good. Don't bother buying it if you're on a 3GS though.
Might attend on the Sunday then. The main thing I'm worried about is looking after both my software and my hardware (I have a RAT9, pretty expensive wireless mouse), but if I look after both should be alright.

Pretty interesting that Apple are happy to give us US prices, but Sony, Micosoft, Nintendo(?) and publishers on Steam aren't. Wonder if EA will have a whinge about their apps being sold cheaper over here.

EDIT:

EatChildren said:
I still need to order this, but I want to make sure I get the Augmented Edition from Europe. I want all those extras :(.

Picked up the SE on Steam for $45 or so a few months back before they jacked up the price. When there's a game I'm intending on buying day one available for pre-order on Steam I grab it ASAP as odds are it's price will go up. Unless it's $90 to begin with, which is happening more and more often *sigh*. Still don't have Bulletstorm because it hasn't been under $40, which is usually my limit nowadays.

Gazunta

No idea just yet. It's slowly making its way to my iPad through our slow wifi :)

$5.50 and Universal, so I figured it was worthwhile buying anyway. I spend more than that on a Shnitty and that's always a bigger gamble than an iOS game.

I hope they release a new patch for Speedball 2 one of these days. I'd really love a Manager mode and online match functionality.

MrSerrels said:
What?

eh, should't be a case of how many complaints but if there are complaints at all?

r1chard

Madrical said:
PerthGAF, anyone going to or been to Redflag Lanfest? I only heard about it tonight, and it's this weekend. Really tempted to turn up on Sunday but I'd like some feedback first to see if it's any good... always wanted to go to a BYO LAN ever since I was 13 or so. Now that I'm actually somewhat of an adult I can give it a go, I just never really thought of it until I saw the ad on the side of Facebook (which I usually ignore).

Or for more of a conversation: anyone been to any large LAN events? Recommend 'em, or a waste of time?
I've not been to any of the really big, commercial LAN events. Absolutely no interest :)

On the other hand, I've been going to a regular small community-organised LAN (SLAKfest) in Melbourne for years now, three times a year. It gets between 30 and 80 attendees, most of whom hang around on the SLAK forum and servers. It's a really friendly atmosphere with at least half of us aged around 40 (some of us also bring along our kids). A number of people fly in from around the country (and New Zealand) to attend. Attendance has dropped off a little lately, but in its heyday (a few years ago) we even had people organise a bus to come down from Bundy, through Brisbane and Sydney. They organise quick informal TF2, CS:S, DOD:S comps and run servers for other games like L4D2, Minecraft, Terraria, ...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Madrical said:
Picked up the SE on Steam for $45 or so a few months back before they jacked up the price. When there's a game I'm intending on buying day one available for pre-order on Steam I grab it ASAP as odds are it's price will go up. Unless it's $90 to begin with, which is happening more and more often *sigh*. Still don't have Bulletstorm because it hasn't been under $40, which is usually my limit nowadays.
jambo said:
You mean this one?

Not the one with the figurine. There full Augmented Edition in Europe comes with all the extra weapons and the extra mission, something not even the Steam version has as far as I'm aware.

legend166

Serrels, you should write an article about how the new app pricing stuff relates to the crappy pricing we get on Steam. Then we can all forward it to the ACCC.

jambo

Just wish the music pricing was brought in to line!

Not that I buy music from iTunes, JB's day 1 prices and online stores are way cheaper for albums.

EatChildren

legend166 said:
PC question:

4 SATA connectors will be enough for

1 DVD
1 SSD
2 HDDs

right? I don't need to use a SATA connection for anything else?

Correct. What MBO are you looking at?

legend166

EatChildren said:
Correct. What MBO are you looking at?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68 Pro3&cat=Specifications

Full build:

Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
ASRock Z68-Pro3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic
OCZ SSD 2.5" SATA 60GB Vertex2 285/275MB/S
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD

legend166

pieatorium said:
not just steam but retail is even more of a joke generally isnt it?

It definitely is, but there's too many crappy excuses for publishers/distributors to hide behind when it comes to physical product. They'll just start whinging about tax, shipping costs, blah blah blah. There's really nothing to hide behind when it comes to digital distribution.

legend166 said:
It definitely is, but there's too many crappy excuses for publishers/distributors to hide behind when it comes to physical product. They'll just start whinging about tax, shipping costs, blah blah blah. There's really nothing to hide behind when it comes to digital distribution.

It has to travel further to reach us!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Legend,

You have 6 sata connections on that board and not 4. 4 will be enough to cover what you have suggested though.

You could switch SSD and go with a faster, newer tech with the crucial M4 64GB which is about $30 more, give or take. it's the one i currently use. That would go into one of your SATA3 6.0Gbps ports. Everything else would go into your standard sata 2 slots.

legend166 said:
Eh surely the ACCC is smart enough to calculate that you can buy something from the US have it mailed (alot more $ than the bulk shipping these companies would incur) and add tax and still come out 30%+ cheaper than retail here (more like 45% if rrp?).

I understand it'd be easier to take them to task on DD but the massive retail markup isn't anything that could be sanely defended.

MrSerrels

legend166 said:

Yep. This is exactly it.

I really liked what Paul Yardley from GAME said to us - basically everyone has their own case to answer for and if everyone reduces costs across the board game prices can get cheaper and more manageable.

Game retailers have gone from no competition to more competition than they can handle in the space of roughly two or three years. They have a short grace period before online shopping goes mainstream, but they have to act now.

I have been following the story of the US government hitting the amount of debt they can have with interest.

I saw these people on Today Tonight. They might be able to help.

fzcpo.jpg

legend166

pieatorium said:
Eh surely the ACCC is smart enough to calculate that you can buy something from the US have it mailed (alot more $ than the bulk shipping these companies would incur) and add tax and still come out 30%+ cheaper than retail here (more like 45% if rrp?).

I understand it'd be easier to take them to task on DD but the massive retail markup isn't anything that could be sanely defended.

I completely agree with what you're saying. But ridiculous mark up on physical items isn't unique to video games. We pay huge amounts extra on cars, for example. My friend just paid $45k for a Mini Cooper S. You can get one in America for half that, easy. So it's a problem not just endemic to video games, so the publishers have a million other things to point to.

Higher prices for digital product is something that is much more video game specific. So from that perspective, it's an easier battle to win.

legend166

evlcookie said:
Legend,

You have 6 sata connections on that board and not 4. 4 will be enough to cover what you have suggested though.

You could switch SSD and go with a faster, newer tech with the crucial M4 64GB which is about $30 more, give or take. it's the one i currently use. That would go into one of your SATA3 6.0Gbps ports. Everything else would go into your standard sata 2 slots.

Cool, I didn't notice the 2 other SATA connections.

Is this the one you're talking about : https://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23579&pid=40966&p=product

EatChildren

Awesome CPU choice. The 2500K is a beast and OC's like a dream. With a few clicks you can get easily 1Ghz of extra juice out of that sucker, and more if you feel like digging deeper.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Cool, I didn't notice the 2 other SATA connections.

Is this the one you're talking about : https://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23579&pid=40966&p=product

Yep sounds about right.

Since you're also building a system with a UEFI setup, I was too lazy to research into it and maybe fred knows, But when you boot up off the CD or any other device, you're given the option for UEFI <device name> or just <device name>. If you boot off your windows install disc and select the uefi option your hdd will need to be formatted to a different partition table, the one linux uses that escapes my mind. I have no idea what this actually does :D

legend166

EatChildren said:
Awesome CPU choice. The 2500K is a beast and OC's like a dream. With a few clicks you can get easily 1Ghz of extra juice out of that sucker, and more if you feel like digging deeper.

And looking in the Dolphin thread, it's perfect for emulating Wii/GCN games. Man I look forward to playing Wind Waker in 1080p.

Ok, I think I'm settling on this as my final build, unless someone can convince whether it's worth paying an extra $30 to get a GTX 570 over a 6970. Is PhysX worth it? Better nVidia drivers?

Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 CPU214.04
ASRock Z68-Pro3 4xDDR3 PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI VGA 1394a USB3.0 SATA3 136.62
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600) 77.22
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case 115.24
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic 18/7 137.50
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD - SATA II 3.0Gbs, 32MB Cache85.80
Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 337.63
Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s 20/7 158.25

Grand Total: 1,262.30

EatChildren

Looks good captain. I've got a very similar system. Different MBO, but same CPU and I'm pretty sure the same RAM too (though only 4GB, as at this point in time more is overkill for gaming).

My GPU is a factory OC'd GTX 570. I cant comment on the HD6970, but I do love my card. Performance is outstanding.

As for Dolphin, performance is hit and miss, as with all things emulation. By large games run brilliantly though, and you shouldn't have any problems. Wind Waker at 1920x1080? Now is the time.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pretty much the same setup as mine except the Motherboard.

The 570 might do better in other games, it also draws more power. Nvidia drivers are probably better and there might be more games optimized for nvidia cards as usual. It just depends on if you think the $30 is worth it.

Check out anandtech bench between the two then flip a coin i guess.

Choc

Banned
MIT researchers develop program that learns to read and then play Civilization II.

MIT researchers have developed software that they claim has taught itself to play Civilization II - and to win most of the time, too.

In a recently published paper, the team explained how the software starts from nothing and learns to play by reading the manual, winning 80% of the time.

Beginning with a blank memory, and only able to move and click the mouse, the computer analyses the game screen. It picks out words such as "river" and "road", to search through the game manual.

Lead developer Regina Barzilay said they used the game's manual rather than a strategy guide because it gave the player "very general" advice, leaving a player to “figure out a lot of other things on [their] own”.

Finding the relevant search terms in the manual, the program then runs the paragraph through a sentence analysis algorithm, which it uses to form instructions.

Fredescu

Yeah I have no idea how to choose between a GTX570 and a 6970. When I bought my GTX570 it was $100 cheaper than the 6970 so it was easy. Now that they're the same price... I dunno, flip a coin. 6970 is going to be better when you need more VRAM, the 570 better for Physx and all the Nvidia optimised stuff. I don't think you can go much wrong either way.

Salacious Crumb

EatChildren said:

1Ghz? Pfft try 1.5GHz and I only had to change two values.

ZKMh7.png

The best CPU ever.

jambo

I'm kinda regretting getting the GTX 570 over the 6970 now. A few games like Crysis 2 and GTA IV would really benefit from the extra VRAM...

EDIT: Just had a quick look at MSY, 6970s are only $350~. I could totally buy one and then sell my GTX 570 for $250~

Hmm...

Top Bottom