• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Omikron

Choc said:
i think its times like this we should (i already subscribe) consider subscribing to mycreditfile.com.au

they alert you everytime someone tries to or adds something to your credit file (including when you do it yourself signing up for a phone for example)

$49 a year, tax deductible.

You could just not have a CC like me? :p

Choc

Banned
that covers not just cc's omi

things like when people nick yoru email, get enough shit to build up an id and get a home loan..

edit: I am sure you already are serrels but try get a statement out of sony

lots of aussies are like wtf, is it US or US and EU. Sony hasn't clarified. They are being total twats about this whole thing really.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
This happens frequently enough that people need to subscribe to a yearly service?

it's like insurance. You never want to have to use it, but you get it just in case.

And yes its increasing in frequency according to the AFP.

legend166

So it's looking like I'm not going to be able to eat lunch today.

Long story short, my money that I transferred from my savings account to my account that I can get money from hasn't gone through because of the billion public holidays we just had. I thought it would go through today, because it's not a public holiday. But no.

I have $4 in my account.

I'm so hungry, too : (

Shaneus

Choc said:
it's like insurance. You never want to have to use it, but you get it just in case.

And yes its increasing in frequency according to the AFP.
How do I know I can trust them with my credit details? I bet they just find your credit card number, use it themselves then never tell you.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
How do I know I can trust them with my credit details? I bet they just find your credit card number, use it themselves then never tell you.

mycreditfile.com.au is run by the credit agencies of Australia including Velioa (spelling). They have the data anyway and get it from the banks.

so its actually their systems. They are the ones that manage the credit files for banks, and thus when you file is edited they email you straight away informing you X was applied for and approved on X date.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sony know they're in extremely volatile legal and PR territory. The less they say until they're absolutely certain, the better (for them).

jambo

legend166 said:
So it's looking like I'm not going to be able to eat lunch today.

Long story short, my money that I transferred from my savings account to my account that I can get money from hasn't gone through because of the billion public holidays we just had. I thought it would go through today, because it's not a public holiday. But no.

I have $4 in my account.

I'm so hungry, too : (

I might get some cookies today with my Subway...

=P

Choc said:
mycreditfile.com.au is run by the credit agencies of Australia including Velioa (spelling). They have the data anyway and get it from the banks.
This shit should be free, given all the fees we already pay to banks, or loan establishment fees, etc.

Clipper

I hope the PSN thing was only US accounts. I do have a US account for my Playstation Plus and stuff, but I never associated it with a credit card. It sucks about the password being compromised, though.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
This shit should be free, given all the fees we already pay to banks, or loan establishment fees, etc.

no argument from me. at least its tax deductible

you can get your credit file for free. It takes 28 days to get posted. You also get it from that site

what i am talking about is an alert service that alerts you when your credit file is edited/updated.

you all should get your free credit file. You'd be amazed how often the banks look at it (X bank looked at your credit file on X/X/X) especially if you have a mortgage

Mako_Drug

Choc said:
lots of aussies are like wtf, is it US or US and EU. Sony hasn't clarified. They are being total twats about this whole thing really.

They already stated all regions were compromised.

I had someone's CC info on my account so I'm in pretty hot water if anything happens. This day sucks.

Clipper

Hmm... just checked the e-mails associated with my PSN accounts and I didn't receive the PSN warning on either one. Perhaps they are only e-mailing to the compromised accounts? Did anyone here receive an e-mail at all?

Re-Edit: Moved edit to a new post instead.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Hmm... just checked the e-mails associated with my PSN accounts and I didn't receive the PSN warning on either one. Perhaps they are only e-mailing to the compromised accounts? Did anyone here receive an e-mail at all?

i haven't got it yet from my US account. It's possible Sony detected the data mining that was going on and instantly switched PSN off. If thats the case they may know the exact point the data mine got up to or particular servers etc.

the fact that the email says that your data HAS been compromised rather then MAY HAVE been compromised makes me think they know exactly which accounts got done.

not a good time to have the name aandy aardvark.....

Clipper

Choc said:
i haven't got it yet from my US account. It's possible Sony detected the data mining that was going on and instantly switched PSN off. If thats the case they may know the exact point the data mine got up to or particular servers etc.

the fact that the email says that your data HAS been compromised rather then MAY HAVE been compromised makes me think they know exactly which accounts got done.

not a good time to have the name aandy aardvark.....

I edited this into my previous post, but just moved it here instead:

Was reading the FAQ:
Sony said:
Q.7 Have you notified those users?

We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts. Also, we have posted web notices, and additional necessary procedures have been followed by each region.
Looks like it's just a matter of waiting to see if I get the e-mail or not...

Choc

Banned
Sony Australia has said FUCK ALL.

They might think that EU and US talking is enough but AU/NZ needs some level of clarification and information.

jambo

legend166 said:

Just found these in my drawer at work...

c2Vfm.jpg

G89GN.gif

Clipper

According to the FAQ, it does cover all regions, and I know you can log into any PSN site from any region, so the accounts are pooled.

It would be interesting to see which accounts are breached, though. I doubt they'd be sorted by name. It's much more likely that they were sorted via creation date or something. Would that make sense for you Choc? Was your US account created a long time after the AU one? Was the AU one created near launch?

Bernbaum

Marshmellow said:
Just went through the list for a measly total of 219 games
Hah! As I went through the list, I thought "I'm gonna win this!"

Beat you by two.

Also, two hundred and twenty one video games is a lot of video games.

Any of you cunts speak french? I'm trying to learn it as my first second language. Learning the rudimentary core of a language and how to 'speak for the first time' at a child-like pace is strangely invigorating.

Shaneus

Let me get this straight... the whole Rebug thing has gone from the regular Joe using his CFW to get on the debug PSN network to data mining? Is that right?

Edit: Okay, just read that thread now. I thought it was only PSN software that was compromised, not user's data. Yikes.

Mako_Drug said:
They already stated all regions were compromised.

I had someone's CC info on my account so I'm in pretty hot water if anything happens. This day sucks.
Yeah it's definitely all regions, they've even posted that official statement on the Aussie playstation site:
http://au.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item369505/PSN-Qriocity-Service-Update/

Also in terms of the emails being sent out, the original post on the US blog said that "We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems." Not that they had actually started doing it yet... don't forget that they have to send seventy million emails.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
According to the FAQ, it does cover all regions, and I know you can log into any PSN site from any region, so the accounts are pooled.

It would be interesting to see which accounts are breached, though. I doubt they'd be sorted by name. It's much more likely that they were sorted via creation date or something. Would that make sense for you Choc? Was your US account created a long time after the AU one? Was the AU one created near launch?

you can't login to US PSN with AU details? can you? really?

it depends on what the primary key is. name, email, date of creation in the database.

It could be by PSN user ID.

A loooooooooooong arse time after the AU one, like only 10 or so months ago.

Clipper

Choc said:
you can't login to US PSN with AU details? can you? really?

it depends on what the primary key is. name, email, date of creation in the database.

It could be by PSN user ID.

A loooooooooooong arse time after the AU one, like only 10 or so months ago.
You can't log in to US PSN exactly with AU details, but you could log into the US Playstation site (for checking your friend list and trophies online) with them.

And yeah, that date difference might explain it. It might be the case that only early accounts are hacked (I guess I should check the main thread for confirmation). My accounts were created on the same day back at the launch of the MGS4 bundle, which was a fair way after launch.

Fredescu

What makes you think only some accounts were compromised Clipper? Haven't they said unequivocally that they have at least everyones username and password?

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
What makes you think only some accounts were compromised Clipper? Haven't they said unequivocally that they have at least everyones username and password?

that is to cover their arse

if the data miners got in got the data and got out before Sony realised, you would only be hearing it when tons of PSN people are getting funds nicked etc.

they clearly saw it in action and halted it instantly i should think when they realised what was goign on

data mining 70 million accounts would take an f'ing long time.

legend166

Jambo, I will kill you.

I just found $5 in my wallet.

What can I buy for $5?

Also I am the only person in my team working today. I should just go home.

Jintor

Couldn't even get sushi lunch

What bank are you using that takes time to transfer between savings and withdrawal accounts? Or is it just some complicated financial arrangement I won't understand? :<

Clipper

Fredescu said:
They state on the FAQ that they have e-mailed compromised accounts. I have an AU and a US account and neither have received e-mails. I have to assume for the moment that neither account was compromised.

Edit: I'll add that they also state in the same FAQ that it's possible all accounts were affected, but I still have to wonder why only some of us have received e-mails so far.

Bernbaum said:

Beat you by two.

Any of you cunts speak french? I'm trying to learn it as my first second language. Learning the rudimentary core of a language and how to 'speak for the first time' at a child-like pace is strangely invigorating.

DAM! where did the list come from btw....there were a lot of games i thought should be on there but weren't

Id better go home and start buying up on steam for this weekend to best you!

Did French in my later school years. HATED IT. Wish id stuck with Japanese. J'emapelle is about all i remember.

legend166 said:
Jambo, I will kill you.

I just found $5 in my wallet.

What can I buy for $5?

Also I am the only person in my team working today. I should just go home.

2 pieces of tempura salmon sushi at my foodcourt.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Just found these in my drawer at work...

http://i.imgur.com/c2Vfm.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/G89GN.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've been getting into the old-school biscuits recently. Only just had Tic-Toc and 100's and 1000's (both with that really crunchy, thick icing on them) and they're as good as I remember. Classics FTW.

Fredescu

Clipper said:
They state on the FAQ that they have e-mailed compromised accounts.
Where does it say that? I see this in the main article: "The following email has been sent to all PSN registrants" which suggests that everyone has been emailed (or more likely are in the process of being emailed, since sending 70 million emails is not something that can be done in one hit), not selected people. I see no clarification of that in the FAQ.

The blog says "We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders" which is the same as above.

Bernbaum said:

Beat you by two.

Just found what i was looking for, this may be of use/interest to you.

http://www.pimsleur.com.au/

A mate used it to learn Portuguese and i have the one for Japanese. They are awesome

legend166

Jintor said:
Couldn't even get sushi lunch

What bank are you using that takes time to transfer between savings and withdrawal accounts? Or is it just some complicated financial arrangement I won't understand? :<

Going between two different banks.

Clipper said:
They state on the FAQ that they have e-mailed compromised accounts. I have an AU and a US account and neither have received e-mails. I have to assume for the moment that neither account was compromised.

Edit: I'll add that they also state in the same FAQ that it's possible all accounts were affected, but I still have to wonder why only some of us have received e-mails so far.
Well they said "we are sending out" not "we have sent out". Have people actually started receiving emails?

Clipper

Fredescu said:
Where does it say that? I see this in the main article: "The following email has been sent to all PSN registrants" which suggests that everyone has been emailed (or more likely are in the process of being emailed, since sending 70 million emails is not something that can be done in one hit), not selected people. I see no clarification of that in the FAQ.

The blog says "We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders" which is the same as above.
Given those posts, it could be that they are just taking a while to get the e-mails out there, yes. I'm going to try to stay optimistic and not panic for the moment, though.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Given those posts, it could be that they are just taking a while to get the e-mails out there, yes. I'm going to try to stay optimistic and not panic for the moment, though.

i was on the phone to Westpac before and the queue was MASSIVE in the credit cards area.

Either tons of people got drunk on saturday and lost their cards, or everyone on PSN is calling.

Bernbaum said:
If you want conversational French, look for Pimsleur. I did it for maybe 2-3 weeks, incredibly casually before I went on my first big trip and by God does it work.

When someone came up to me and asked me a question and I instantly knew what they were saying without having to think about it (actually, my wife told me she saw the cogs turning for a moment, as I knew what they'd said but had to make the link), I knew it'd worked. It really was one of those "aha" type moments.

Edit: The biggest problem with the Pimsleur method is that it doesn't train you to read the language, just speak it. Not necessarily a problem depending on what you need, but it leads to occasions where you look at a word and it's spelled totally different to how you thought.

Clipper

Choc said:
i was on the phone to Westpac before and the queue was MASSIVE in the credit cards area.

Either tons of people got drunk on saturday and lost their cards, or everyone on PSN is calling.
Even if we assume everyone is hacked, I have to assume cards are safe (for now at least).

There are reports from the thread of people that had their e-mail hacked and stuff on the 20th. That would tie into the timing of the attack. However, nobody has had their card account compromised as far as I can tell. Either the hackers have been sitting on this information for nearly a week and not striking just yet, or more likely they never got it, especially seeing as it seems they have already used other data.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Even if we assume everyone is hacked, I have to assume cards are safe (for now at least).

There are reports from the thread of people that had their e-mail hacked and stuff on the 20th. That would tie into the timing of the attack. However, nobody has had their card account compromised as far as I can tell. Either the hackers have been sitting on this information for nearly a week and not striking just yet, or more likely they never got it, especially seeing as it seems they have already used other data.

the one time i am happy the email i use for psn i use for nothing else

:)

Clipper said:
Either the hackers have been sitting on this information for nearly a week and not striking just yet.
People who hack credit card numbers aren't usually the ones who use them. They'll need to find a buyer or buyers for blocks of the numbers, who probably will sit on them for a little bit.

If you are at all concerned, just tell your bank you believe the number to be compromised and want a new card.

jambo

Shaneus said:
I've been getting into the old-school biscuits recently. Only just had Tic-Toc and 100's and 1000's (both with that really crunchy, thick icing on them) and they're as good as I remember. Classics FTW.

I LOVE the old school Arnott's biscuits, so fucking delicious. There's a pack of Milk Coffee waiting for me at home mmm...

Also, I really need to play Portal 2 co-op. I have to clean tonight for an inspection, but perhaps Thursday night or some time on the weekend someone'd be up for a bash?

Top Bottom