• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Ydahs

USD app cost: 0.99
USD dev revenue: 0.70

AUD app cost: 0.99
AUD dev revenue: 0.63 (-13c from previous)

I am not amused.

legend166

evlcookie said:
Pretty much the same setup as mine except the Motherboard.

The 570 might do better in other games, it also draws more power. Nvidia drivers are probably better and there might be more games optimized for nvidia cards as usual. It just depends on if you think the $30 is worth it.

Check out anandtech bench between the two then flip a coin i guess.

Seriously it's at the coin flipping point. From what I can see, the HD6970 is marginally better, but more games run better with nVidia drivers, so it might be worth getting the GTX570.

First world problem.

I've been out of the GPU loop for a bit. Do only nVidia cards have PhysX nowadays? That might be another decider if they do. Is there much support for these features?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Salacious Crumb said:
1Ghz? Pfft try 1.5GHz and I only had to change two values.

http://i.imgur.com/ZKMh7.png

The best CPU ever.

Mine was surprisingly unstable at 4.5Ghz, though I probably needed to add my juice to the vcore. I just couldnt be bothered.

jambo said:
I'm kinda regretting getting the GTX 570 over the 6970 now. A few games like Crysis 2 and GTA IV would really benefit from the extra VRAM...

You dont really need more VRAM for Crysis 2, I dont think. The high-res texture pack requires only half the VRAM on the GTX 570. GTAIV maybe.

codswallop said:
I've been out of the GPU loop for a bit. Do only nVidia cards have PhysX nowadays? That might be another decider if they do. Is there much support for these features?

Yep. PhysX is nVidia exclusive, but to be fair not a lot of games make use of it. Mirror's Edge, Mafia II and Alice: Madness Returns are the only noteworthy games I can think of (there's more, I'm just being lazy). Granted, PhysX does look really awesome in these games.

kase23

Last game to really integrate physx was the new American McGee's Alice, im glad that physx has been largely abandoned at this point since im all for parirty when it comes to content and effects.
That sapphire card also comes with a free copy of Dirt 3 legend166

legend166

kase23 said:
Last game to really integrate physx was the new American McGee's Alice, im glad that physx has been largely abandoned at this point since im all for parirty when it comes to content and effects.
That sapphire card also comes with a free copy of Dirt 3 legend166

Wait, it does? Awesome.

I think Arkham Asylum used PhysX too.

Choc

Banned
Ydahs said:
USD app cost: 0.99
USD dev revenue: 0.70

AUD app cost: 0.99
AUD dev revenue: 0.63 (-13c from previous)

I am not amused.

GST

remember that

so the 99c includes GST

so that is 9c GST per app transaction

so 90c meaning that apple is taking 27c per app sold

US has tax on top of the US pricing, so 99c does not include the tax.

therefore apple is taking 29c per app sold

They take less from Australians then they do Americans

Also Shady have you installd IOS5? its freaking awesome

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Seriously it's at the coin flipping point. From what I can see, the HD6970 is marginally better, but more games run better with nVidia drivers, so it might be worth getting the GTX570.

First world problem.
Is the 6970 a dual-GPU card, though? Given the problems I've had with getting a handful of games to run smoothly (namely Blur and Hot Pursuit) I'd be wary of anything that uses any kind of Crossfire. Dual 5850s should spank both of those games, but they both barely run at an even framerate. Blur I can hardly get 30fps out of, HP dips below 60 whenever there's more than two cars on the screen.

jambo

EatChildren said:
You dont really need more VRAM for Crysis 2, I dont think. The high-res texture pack requires only half the VRAM on the GTX 570. GTAIV maybe.

I run at 2560x1600 though, which I've heard uses up to 1800MB or VRAM!

Ydahs

Choc said:
GST

remember that

so the 99c includes GST

so that is 9c GST per app transaction

so 90c meaning that apple is taking 27c per app sold

US has tax on top of the US pricing, so 99c does not include the tax.

therefore apple is taking 29c per app sold

They take less from Australians then they do Americans

Also Shady have you installd IOS5? its freaking awesome
I guess that makes sense.

About IOS5, I only have a second gen iPod Touch and it's not supported :(

But yeah, it does look awesome.

I'm planning to buy an iPhone 5 if I can afford one. If not, I'll just go with the iPhone 4.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Crumb, How did you go about overclocking your 2500k? Got a guide? I've been so far out of the loop that i'm lost and usually half asleep when i attempt it.

I have reached 4.3 just by selecting the performance option in my bios :D.

Still waiting on noctua to send me my bracket, once that arrives i can setup the cooler again and actually try and OC for real.

Also my book still hasn't arrived. CURSE YOU BOOK DEPO!

Ydahs said:
I guess that makes sense.

About IOS5, I only have a second gen iPod Touch and it's not supported :(

But yeah, it does look awesome.

I'm planning to buy an iPhone 5 if I can afford one. If not, I'll just go with the iPhone 4.

Gaz do you happen to have any codes for beta of IOS5? or anyone else?
Id love to test it.

Was pleasantly suprised with my order from book depository. I so far have 3/4 of the books i ordered and they have all arrived within 3 days of me placing the order so expecting the 4th tonight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
evlcookie said:
Crumb, How did you go about overclocking your 2500k? Got a guide? I've been so far out of the loop that i'm lost and usually half asleep when i attempt it.

Still waiting on noctua to send me my bracket, once that arrives i can setup the cooler again and actually try and OC for real.

Here is a popular OCing guide for the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

legend166

So as for installing Windows/Office onto the new machine, I should just be able to use my existing keys, right?

I'll have to find the installation discs.

legend166 said:
So as for installing Windows/Office onto the new machine, I should just be able to use my existing keys, right?
Yes, but Windows might have a whinge when validating if you've used that Windows on a few machines previously.

Legally, you're probably only licensed to use it on one machine at a time, so bear that in mind if you want to stay within the letter of the law.

legend166

codswallop said:
Yes, but Windows might have a whinge when validating if you've used that Windows on a few machines previously.

Legally, you're probably only licensed to use it on one machine at a time, so bear that in mind if you want to stay within the letter of the law.

Well I'm taking the other HDD out of my old machine and using it in this one. So it will still only be active on one machine.

Salacious Crumb

evlcookie said:

The guide eatchildren posted above looks good, and you should probably follow that because I'm no pro OCer. but here's a quick run down of my settings (Asus P8P67)

Turbo Ratio: 48 (all cores)
VRM Frequency: Manual 350
Phase control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Voltage in offset mode with +0.06v

Every other setting is standard. I like running my OCs in offset mode so that it throttles back to 1.6Ghz at or less than 1v when idle. Those settings are prime stable for over 24Hrs and IBT stable for just over 8.

As ever though YMMV, looking around the net it seems I snagged my self quite the nice little chip.

legend166 said:
Well I'm taking the other HDD out of my old machine and using it in this one. So it will still only be active on one machine.
Then that's fine. Just remember you can't (legally) install it on the old machine again, you'll (legally) need a new license if you want to do that.

If it complains about too many activations (because Microsoft look for hardware changes, even in the same machine, to try and figure out if it's a new machine) you'll just need to give Microsoft a call on the automated 1800-number.

Rahk

evlcookie said:

Didn't your Noctua come with a bracket for Intel 1156? You can use that for 1155 if so.

legend166 said:

First world problem.
nVidia also has better support for 3D gaming if that's something you'd be interested in later, if you don't have a 3DTV/monitor already.

Madrical

Banned
legend166 said:

I'll have to find the installation discs.
I'd recommend nabbing Windows 7 64-bit OEM anyway, it's only ~$120 and you'll be safe with a validated and official copy of Windows 7. I was worried when I upgraded my mobo that it would reconize it as a different PC but nope, only Steam did.

Is it really worth overclocking your CPU? I've got a Phenom II X6 1090T and I've never overclocked it. Nor with my GPU (5870). Only game it's chugged on is Metro 2033 on full settings, even then it didn't really chug, it just wasn't smooth like Crysis 2 etc.

Well, Marine Arena killed my PC once but that was probably because I had literally overflowing marines on my screen at one point, it was killing everyones PC :\ derp.

EatChildren

Sadly I'm pretty sure that I lucked out on my i5 2500K. As they say, no CPU is the same, and mine is a power guzzling bastard. I've tried, but I cannot get a stable OC at 4.5Ghz at anything under 1.3v, and even then that isn't stable. I really should be able to hit 4.5Ghz at ~1.28v, but I struggle badly.

Unless I'm tweaking wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I dont really know why my CPU is a so power hungry :(. Oh well.

Rahk

EatChildren said:
Sadly I'm pretty sure that I lucked out on my i5 2500K. As they say, no CPU is the same, and mine is a power guzzling bastard. I've tried, but I cannot get a stable OC at 4.5Ghz at anything under 1.3v, and even then that isn't stable. I really should be able to hit 4.5Ghz at ~1.28v, but I struggle badly.

Unless I'm tweaking wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I dont really know why my CPU is a so power hungry :(. Oh well.
I think I'm in the same boat.

jambo

So awesome, was just wandering around Rundle Mall and the DJ food court and my 3DS updated with Nintendo Video thanks to Spot Pass. I also got some StreetPass hits.

So good.

legend166

Madrical said:
I'd recommend nabbing Windows 7 64-bit OEM anyway, it's only ~$120 and you'll be safe with a validated and official copy of Windows 7. I was worried when I upgraded my mobo that it would reconize it as a different PC but nope, only Steam did.

Is it really worth overclocking your CPU? I've got a Phenom II X6 1090T and I've never overclocked it. Nor with my GPU (5870). Only game it's chugged on is Metro 2033 on full settings, even then it didn't really chug, it just wasn't smooth like Crysis 2 etc.

Well, Marine Arena killed my PC once but that was probably because I had literally overflowing marines on my screen at one point, it was killing everyones PC :\ derp.

I've got a legit copy of Windows 7 already. It's not even OEM so I'm pretty sure I'm not breaking any licencing by putting it on this new machine.

Madrical

Banned
VOOK said:
iOS 5 is the shit.
How do you have it already? D: It's not out yet is it?

Just looked at the list of updates, sounds great, especially the way notifications are now handled. And using the volume button for the shutter, finally!

Shancake

Madrical said:

Just looked at the list of updates, sounds great, especially the way notifications are now handled. And using the volume button for the shutter, finally!

It really is great! I could not imagine ever going back to iOS4! If only game centre worked properly running on it :(

Choc

Banned
Madrical said:

registered developers have a beta they can install on devices

shady, rlan, and I are registered apple developers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:

You just bought it for early beta access didn't you Choc :p

But yeah I have it cos of that.

legend166

ABC2 will be showing Friday Night Lights on Friday nights starting on July 29 at 8:30pm.

If you want to watch one of the best shows ever made, watch it.

Choc said:

Ahh. so your the one i should beg and plead on me knees to choc. :D

Please sir, may i have some more?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rahk said:
Didn't your Noctua come with a bracket for Intel 1156? You can use that for 1155 if so.

It's a stabilizing bracket. Since it's such a large hamburger, it seems to bend towards one side i guess? This should keep it dead stable with no bending. Hopefully it will actually fix the strange issue i'm having, I think the fan is scrapping along the fins, something is causing noise anyway. So at the moment my case is on a strange angle leaning up against my desk which makes the noise go away, yay!

There is a report on the R rating of videogames on ABCNews24 right now.

legend166 said:
ABC2 will be showing Friday Night Lights on Friday nights starting on July 29 at 8:30pm.

I second this.

iOS5 is indeed the shit. I've been using iMessage a lot.
Having an untethered jailbreak and iOS5 with my iPhone 3Gs is like the best of both worlds. :)

legend166 said:

OH YEAHHH

I just started a rewatch last week though lol
My mates started watching it and got me all nostalgic.

Yoshiya

iOS 5 was great, but I lost beta access when I had to exchange my iPad as the old one had dust under the glass. It really is hard to go back, though it looks like the gestures will only be available for iPad 1 users on 4.3.3. That is really shit, as they're a huge usability improvement and it's a blatant case of Apple fucking over their early adopters with arbitrary restriction of software improvements.

Gazunta

You know what you fucking guys, you've subjected me to forty fucking pages of PC building bullshit, here's a God damn comic about Mortal Kombat 2.

2011-07-14-Videogame-84.gif

Street Fighter is better than Mortal Kombat. Discuss.

No actually fuck discussing that, discuss how good Z on iPad is.

Also up for discussion: Noni Hazelhurst.

I would also consider anything else that isn't random number generating tech gobbledeygook thanks

BTW Clive that gave me a good laugh, nice one

Top Bottom