• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Clipper

The package I picked up from customs this morning was my first ever to come with a customs inspection label. Lucky this wasn't the MK box... Instead, it was this:

starwars.jpg

The extra little Lego kit on top was a freebie they threw in. It's going to be a fun weekend.

Box of Bunnies said:
The problem isn't that it's a kids movie (the originals were, too), the problem is that a lot of the time it's about boring space politics stuff instead of being a swashbuckling adventure film.
I would disagree and say that the first two at least were aimed at people older than kids. They might be tame by standards nowadays but they weren't really "for" kids on release. Jedi was a clear turning point though. Phantom Menace was just a complete mess of a movie made by someone who clearly had no idea what he was doing and had no one willing to call him on it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Woo hoo my noctua part turned up!

Now i just need my book to turn up and my friday will be complete. Some guy was reading one of the books from the series on the train, It's karma, My book is totally going to turn up!

That's a nice stash clipper and i don't even like lego or star wars.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
Thanks. I think that little LEGO kit on top is the first one I've done in something like 20 years, and even that was nostalgically fun. The shuttle has 80 times as many pieces, so I'm thinking it will be awesome.

rass

what the hell, I thought ausgaf had died but there was just 12,000 posts in a new thread. I need to check more than just 'user cp' more often

sweet lego clipper! I built my first set in about 10 years last weekend, some little scuba submarine thing. Pretty fun.

elfinke

My partner and I recently watched all 6 Star Wars movies across a few weeks in June. Aside from Jaja, I was actually surprised to find that I didn't 'hate' the prequels as much as I remember hating them after walking out of the cinema.

Sure, I was still embarrassed for much of the dialogue, and so many of the little things (people stepping in poo, hitting their heads, making weird jokes etc) really do drag the prequels down into mediocrity, but those moments didn't grate as much as I remember. Perhaps it was just because I was in the comfort of my house, not having paid movie theatre prices to watch them? I dunno?

Watching the original trilogy shortly after the prequels was rather galvanizing - some things had added gravitas (any mention of the Skywalker family or references to clones or other systems in the galaxy) which was appreciated, while other scenes (Leia kissing Luke is an obvious one) were even more painful than they used to be. Unfortunately, I don't have my old VHS copies of the original trilogy, meaning we were watching the recently released DVD set with the CG additions included. They are a travesty beyond words - but we all know that.

And plot holes are even harder to ignore or forgive during a marathonish Star Wars event, too, to the point of being distracting.

Clipper said:
The package I picked up from customs this morning was my first ever to come with a customs inspection label. Lucky this wasn't the MK box... Instead, it was this:

[/IMG]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/starwars.jpg[/IMG]

The extra little Lego kit on top was a freebie they threw in. It's going to be a fun weekend.

Hawt!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
what the hell, I thought ausgaf had died but there was just 12,000 posts in a new thread. I need to check more than just 'user cp' more often

sweet lego clipper! I built my first set in about 10 years last weekend, some little scuba submarine thing. Pretty fun.

I wrote on your steam community wall, Less cs:s and more ausgaf.

Didn't you notice it? :p

rass

evlcookie said:
I wrote on your steam community wall, Less cs:s and more ausgaf.

Didn't you notice it? :p
I was too busy cs:sing, haha.
I have to quit it in a couple of weeks though, moving house again and nowhere for the gaming computer for a while

elfinke

legend166 said:
PC bought whoooooooo

Awesome! Now, to inspire gazunta to draw more awesome comics (like the MK one), you should post plenty more tech specs and benchmarks once you have put it together!

elfinke said:
Awesome! Now, to inspire gazunta to draw more awesome comics (like the MK one), you should post plenty more tech specs and benchmarks once you have put it together!
And throw out the occasional references to games like Law of the West, Phantasie and Quo Vadis.

legend166

Marshmellow said:
Nice one Legend!

Is this a welcome to the master race or just an upgrade?

What the hell why!? Why do u insist on putting crap into my good games.

Just an upgrade. I've been a card carrying member of the PC master race for probably my whole life. Bar a short hiatus between 2003-2007, where I was at the point where I was too old for my parent to buy things for me but too young to earn enough money to build my own PC.

I've never actually assembled my own PC though. So this should be fun. Hopefully I can pick up all the parts this afternoon.

Dead Man

giri said:
True, i guess. It was re-orientated for kids a bit. But i wouldn't have said the original trilogy was aimed at adults, more teens.

No, can't say i have. Is it written by someone who brought a whole bunch of baggage, or was it written as an actual critique?
See:
EatChildren said:
They're satirical reviews by a 'personality' called Harry Plinkett, a psychopathic murderer and film critic.

What makes them funny is not just the dry humour and dark undertones, but the fact that most of Plinkett's points are truthful.

His reviews of the new trilogy and the problems they have relative to the old trilogy are spot on.
and
Rez said:
www.redlettermedia.com

Find the Star Wars reviews, then sit back and enjoy some of the most funny/interesting film analysis I've ever seen.
In fact, here's a direct link to the first two parts: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

legend166 said:
Just an upgrade. I've been a card carrying member of the PC master race for probably my whole life. Bar a short hiatus between 2003-2007, where I was at the point where I was too old for my parent to buy things for me but too young to earn enough money to build my own PC.

I've never actually assembled my own PC though. So this should be fun. Hopefully I can pick up all the parts this afternoon.

Awesome man, Fun times lay ahead then! Have you decided what game you will play first? ahahaha :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no major issues with the BF3 stuff. I would assume it's based within origin, in the same way steam community works with steamwork titles.

It is another damn system i need to sign up for and use though.

jambo said:
How does it make the game any worse though? I welcome more features, especially social ones. Imagine how shit Steam would be with Community!

But its essentially the next step up from Facebook integration. I like the stats stuff, but that's in there now. Do we really need to be able to like the fact that someone had a good game etc. isn't chat enough?

Marshmellow said:
But its essentially the next step up from Facebook integration. I like the stats stuff, but that's in there now. Do we really need to be able to like the fact that someone had a good game etc. isn't chat enough?
The social stuff could be useful though. See if your mates are already in a game. See what medals they just got, etc. It can provide talking points for more chatting!

Pikelet

Anyone else going to the Melbourne Mana Bar opening night tomorrow?

It's gonna be completely packed if their Facebook event page is any indication.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm tempted to get drunk prior, show up dressed as Zero Suit Samus, and try an pick up drunk nerdy chicks, but I think I will stay home and play video games instead.

Card Boy

Banned
Pikelet said:
Anyone else going to the Melbourne Mana Bar opening night tomorrow?

Probably for the best if I avoid Opening Night, way too packed by the looks of it. I got a feeling they will be turning people away unless you get there early.

Pikelet

Gez said:
Probably for the best if I avoid Opening Night, way too packed by the looks of it. I got a feeling they will be turning people away unless you get there early.

tempted to do this also, perhaps in a few days the neckbeard:normy ratio will lower somewhat.

Rahk

evlcookie said:
Woo hoo my noctua part turned up!

Now i just need my book to turn up and my friday will be complete. Some guy was reading one of the books from the series on the train, It's karma, My book is totally going to turn up!

I saw a guy reading GoT on the train yesterday too. Guess a lot of people are getting into it now thanks to the show.

Anyone up for some Last Stand later today or tonight? I must play!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Give it a few weeks and you should be good to go to the mana bar.

Holy did say he wanted to try get a melbgaf meetup going soon.

Good luck buddy!

Well, missed out on tickets in the Foo pre-sale.

Mana Bar is open tomorrow from midday to 11pm. It'll probably still be busy, but all those people RSVPing won't necessarily be there at the same time.

jambo said:
Marsh just doesn't like it because it doesn't have Valve stamped anywhere on it.

Bah! I've been found out!

I am really not liking this whole origin/steam debacle. I don't want to sign up for more services just because you want to be different, steam works can't they just accept that and move on?

The one thing i do actually like about facebook intergration is that it means i can find people i may not have spoken to for ages that are playing the same game and join up with them. etc.

When it was put into SC2 and i instantly realized that 64 people from facebook were playing as well i was pleasantly surprised. However i still have a grim outlook at the structure of the interface and the whole posting updates and liking statuses.

elfinke

bodyboarder said:
Pre-sales annoy me.

Even more when they're tied to a particular membership 'thing'. Like VISA cardholders presales for tickets they piss me off (yeah, I've been burnt by that one before).

elfinke said:
Even more when they're tied to a particular membership 'thing'. Like VISA cardholders presales for tickets they piss me off (yeah, I've been burnt by that one before).

They are the worst. For "the wall" pre-sale it was visa only, and they chucked an extra $25 (or thereabouts) on for the privilege.

Top Bottom