• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Of course as soon as I move to Warrnambool you guys decide to do a meet up. Arseholes.

Warrnambool is fucking cold. Like, wear 3 layers of clothes cold. Like $150 a month in heating bill cold. Also the job I have walked into is FUBAR so I've already started looking elsewhere for employment. Unfortunately I signed a lease last week and our place in Lara has already been filled ahead of schedule. At least the 8 days of work I have done so far have filled me to the brim with experience and knowledge. Feeling a lot more capable of jumping into any job and kicking arse now. At least the food is great down here, you would love it HolyCheck! Place called Chicken Grill does Chicken meals and me and the bro grabbed Schnitz, Chips, Gravy Coleslaw for $10 and it was incredible. Chips were crispy and almost crumbly. Schnitz was hammered down to perfection (no breast here buddy). Not to mention all the bakery goods stores around the place. Also the house we are moving into has a playground out the front in our court. A PLAYGROUND.

Silicon Knights got ANOTHER government grant? lol. So basically all the employees are government workers now. Wonder when they will start deriving an income from their games again., ED was 2002?

Mar said:
Don't make me agree with you for the first time in our lives. On both counts.
I agree too. Really enjoyed Episode 1 and loved Doom 3. Weren't traditional sequels but were still great in their own right.

Clipper said:
Woke up early and another hour of work got me to page 64 of the first book:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/photo-32.jpg[/IM G]

Man, this truly is a lot more fun than I thought :).

Now to do the cockpit and finish off book 1 (of 4 books).[/QUOTE]I tried all the KMarts near me to get the Lego space shuttle but they were sold out everywhere. Had to do their stupid Christmas layby thing and can't pick it up until December.

Clipper

Neverender said:
I tried all the KMarts near me to get the Lego space shuttle but they were sold out everywhere. Had to do their stupid Christmas layby thing and can't pick it up until December.
Did you put down a deposit? If not, you can order it directly from the Lego store for the same price it would be in-store.

Edit: Book 2 started with building one of the wings. Up to page 30 of this book:
photo-34.jpg

Oh man the Total Recall reboot isn't looking good. Len Wiseman directing? Almost as bad as McG or Bay. Hopefully Bryan Cranston can save the day. Less jokey? Meh.

Also why didn't anyone other than me and Rez buy Shadows of the Damned? Why the fuck doesn't anyone like Mikami? His games are critically acclaimed yet haven't sold shit since Resi 4. I am disapoint.

English reviews of Catherine are coming in good so I am thankful I held off on importing, can't wait to tear into it. Love the quirky Japanese games that break up the usual offerings from the West.

Big W have a fight stick and SSFIVAE for $78 on PS3 which is a fantastic deal.

Freedom Force 2 is only $2.30 on GOG! Another gem from Irrational! Buy the damn thing!

reptilescorpio said:
Also why didn't anyone other than me and Rez buy Shadows of the Damned?
No marketing. I didn't know about it until it came out. You'd think when you have Suda and Resident Evil as something to advertise, you would. Poor form from EA on this one.

Plus, I won't buy it until it's dirt cheap... and based upon how little people know about this game, it should be within the next week or so.

Quite sad, really.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Oh man the Total Recall reboot isn't looking good. Len Wiseman directing? Almost as bad as McG or Bay. Hopefully Bryan Cranston can save the day. Less jokey? Meh.

Also why didn't anyone other than me and Rez buy Shadows of the Damned? Why the fuck doesn't anyone like Mikami? His games are critically acclaimed yet haven't sold shit since Resi 4. I am disapoint.

English reviews of Catherine are coming in good so I am thankful I held off on importing, can't wait to tear into it. Love the quirky Japanese games that break up the usual offerings from the West.

Big W have a fight stick and SSFIVAE for $78 on PS3 which is a fantastic deal.

Freedom Force 2 is only $2.30 on GOG! Another gem from Irrational! Buy the damn thing!
Is that actual stick any good, though? I suspect it's similar to the Hori one I already have for 360 that is a bit arse. My copy of SF4 is still shrinkwrapped for 360, too :(

PS. Same as Jase on SotD. Has piqued my curiosity, but I'm guessing it will price bomba like Bayonetta did.

Planet_JASE said:
No marketing. I didn't know about it until it came out. You'd think when you have Suda and Resident Evil as something to advertise, you would. Poor form from EA on this one.
Apparently since it was an EA partners game EA only handled the distribution while Grasshopper decided the marketing budget.

Shaneus said:
Is that actual stick any good, though? I suspect it's similar to the Hori one I already have for 360 that is a bit arse. My copy of SF4 is still shrinkwrapped for 360, too :(

PS. Same as Jase on SotD. Has piqued my curiosity, but I'm guessing it will price bomba like Bayonetta did.
No idea on the stick, looks to be the base model so it may indeed be pretty average. For the price though it is a good alternative if you don't want to shell out for a high quality one.

Also EVERYONE now waits for Platinum/Grasshopper games to bomba price wise which sucks. Bayonetta did indeed drop quick, only took like 3 months to hit $30 even at retail here.

Clipper said:
Did you put down a deposit? If not, you can order it directly from the Lego store for the same price it would be in-store.
Hmm it's $129 in kmart and $159 there... What to do... Thanks for the link.

E: Bleh $35 shipping... I'll just wait until December I think.

Clipper

Up to page 56 of book 2. Wing is attached, but only by two thin poles, so it seems there's a bit more structural support to go. Will post next at the end of book 2 which also seems to do the undercarriage.

photo-36.jpg

P.S. PedoTrooper is watching...

Shaneus

My mum was a lab technician in a high school in Geelong, she used to bring home about two or three Technics sets during school holidays for my brother and I to play with. So much fucking fun.

Deeku

commissar said:
Dammit now I want to build some Lego.

Fortunately I still have my pirate ship set :D
Man I wanted a pirate ship set sooo bad when I was a kid.

But my mum thought pirates would be a bad influence so I only had police stations.

Clipper

And the 84 pages of book 2 are complete. I'll think I'll take a break before starting on Book 3. Also, Storm Trooper called shotgun, so now we have PedoVader...

photo-37.jpg

Shaneus

So, I've been cleaning out my wardrobe and in one massive WTF moment, stumbled across two issues of Simpsons Illustrated from 1991. Wow.

Also came across issues 99-101 of Hyper.

Clipper

And we have a complete cockpit (unfortunately, PedoVader now has to hang on for dear life). This is page 13 of Book 3 (67 in this book).

photo-38.jpg

Resisting the temptation to buy (yet another) guitar.
I currently have four. I had more but I gave them away last year.

P.S. That's some fine Lego

Shaneus said:
Is that actual stick any good, though? I suspect it's similar to the Hori one I already have for 360 that is a bit arse. My copy of SF4 is still shrinkwrapped for 360, too :(.

Its nothing flash, but does the job.

Clipper

Wow... the side wings are a lot more complicated than the top wing. Makes them a bit more fun to build too :D. Page 45 of 67in Book 3.

photo-39.jpg

This page also shows one of the PedoVaders in the instruction book... creepy for LEGO.

kase23

Watched the first episode of the new torchwood last night with my sis, holy fuck was that a horrible return to the series compared to the mini-series, it was like the action director and stunt co-ordinator were shown those turkish films that rip off Hollywood blockbusters and told to use those as inspiration only with a real budget at there disposal, atleast the parts with gwen crying unintentionally made us laugh.

Clipper

Finished all 67 pages of Book 3. The wing is attached and is positionable and stuff. I think I might leave the last book until tomorrow as I need to start preparing for dinner soon.

photo-40.jpg
photo-41.jpg

kase23 said:
Watched the first episode of the new torchwood last night with my sis, holy fuck was that a horrible return to the series compared to the mini-series, it was like the action director and stunt co-ordinator were shown those turkish films that rip off Hollywood blockbusters and told to use those as inspiration only with a real budget at there disposal, atleast the parts with gwen crying unintentionally made us laugh.
This series is meant to be like the miniseries, just twice as long... Not a good sign, I guess.

kase23

reptilescorpio said:
Anyone wanna hang our in Warrnambool? We have great Schnitz! And a fantastic hot-to-not ratio of women!

:(
Have they still got that wooden maze and that adventure park with the deathtrap flying fox?
my family used to holiday there when i was a kid, my fondest memory was that the caravan park we stayed at had a Arcade room with all the games priced 20cents a credit, I knew where my priorities were even back then :p

jambo

Clipper said:
Finished all 67 pages of Book 3. The wing is attached and is positionable and stuff. I think I might leave the last book until tomorrow as I need to start preparing for dinner soon.

photo-40.jpg
photo-41.jpg

This series is meant to be like the miniseries, just twice as long... Not a good sign, I guess.

That's interesting how exposed the wing mechanics are.

kase23 said:
Have they still got that wooden maze and that adventure park with the deathtrap flying fox?
my family used to holiday there when i was a kid, my fondest memory was that the caravan park we stayed at had a Arcade room with all the games priced 20cents a credit, I knew where my priorities were even back then :p
They took down the flying fox after some kid fell and had a cry apparently. We are gong to live about a block from that lake area which will be really nice. Massive playground down there now.

jambo said:
That's interesting how exposed the wing mechanics are.
Use the force dude.

reptilescorpio said:
Anyone wanna hang our in Warrnambool? We have great Schnitz! And a fantastic hot-to-not ratio of women!

:(
In my experience schnitzel and parma is pretty much always better in country areas. Like RSLs and places like that.

Man I want to play Lego now. Instead I'm going to watch Sopranos. I'm happy to say it - better than the Wire.

Choc

Banned
if you give any kind of shit about video games you should read this book

5178BH5A3GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i am reading it on kindle IOS, it explains so much about why Nintendo is the way it is today as well as lessons Sony and Microsoft learned from the past.

awesome stuff. Activision not wanting to get in on video games calling them a fad is amazing as well, reasons behind it are in the book.

Choc said:
i am reading it on kindle IOS, it explains so much about why Nintendo is the way it is today as well as lessons Sony and Microsoft learned from the past.
Yeah the establishment of the Nintendo seal of approval and the whole licencing thing was a masterstroke for the industry and without Nintendo everything would have gotten even more fucked up than it was. The whole Sony/SNESCD thing is so amazingly funny it hurts. Shows how far Nintendo have come since then as well as making for a great case study for globalisation integration management classes.

Axiom

Waited 3 hours to get into Mana Bar, then got kicked out within a half hour due to issues with the line. So much build up for an anti-climax, I now know how girls in high school feel.

The bar itself was nice, but crazy small...though I got to see Yahtzee walk by, that's something. I'm not sure how they'll have room for trivia nights and all that really but it'll probably be a lot nicer when there isn't 1000 people trying to get inside a place zoned for 50

Axiom said:
Waited 3 hours to get into Mana Bar, then got kicked out within a half hour due to issues with the line. So much build up for an anti-climax, I now know how girls in high school feel.
What exactly is the allure of a video game bar? Do we not fit in at regular bars? When I go out with a mate we feel comfortable enough to talk about games in a pub and random people on occasion have chipped in with a comment.

Or is it about having a meeting place for people in the industry to network? That could work okay.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
What exactly is the allure of a video game bar? Do we not fit in at regular bars? When I go out with a mate we feel comfortable enough to talk about games in a pub and random people on occasion have chipped in with a comment.

Or is it about having a meeting place for people in the industry to network? That could work okay.
I think it's like having a games night but not at home. I can see the novelty in it but there's no way I'd go there for more than anything other than a meeting place.

Kerrby

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Shit sorry mate. Make sure to take time out to spend with your family, especially your parent who lost their mother.

Thanks mate, she's donated her body to a university so they can try and learn more about cancer. That just means the memorial won't be for at least a week and a half :/.

Old Alkaline Trio was so good. New Machinedrum is so good.

Shaneus said:
I think it's like having a games night but not at home. I can see the novelty in it but there's no way I'd go there for more than anything other than a meeting place.
A mate of mine came back from Korea with the idea of making a gaming cafe for uni students but I couldn't see a financially viable way to run it without charging prices I wouldn't feel comfortable about.
I would argue that gaming as a hobby is much cheaper than it used to be, games drop in price incredibly quickly and the console generations are getter longer so the prices of consoles have dropped just as much. Local MP LAN sessions on console seem to happen less likely though, not sure if that is because of the hardware or the games.
PC gaming is going strong and Steam has created a great, cheap way to run a LAN with mates. Just last week in Bool the housemates I am staying with picked up Mount & Blade during the sale for like $3 and spent every night screwing around in it.

Kerrby said:
Thanks mate, she's donated her body to a university so they can try and learn more about cancer. That just means the memorial won't be for at least a week and a half :/.
I hope everything is done respectfully for your family. Part of the acceptance of my mortality was the idea of my body being able to help make the lives of others easier once I am gone.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
A mate of mine came back from Korea with the idea of making a gaming cafe for uni students but I couldn't see a financially viable way to run it without charging prices I wouldn't feel comfortable about.
If I was to do something like the cafe, I'd just have a few upright machines on freeplay, a few knockabout cocktails running a cheap 60-in-1 gameboard, a couple of donated kiosks for consoles, memorabilia display and a few drinks named after geeky shit. Wouldn't be too hard.

Top Bottom