• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Man, latest South Park is a fucking downer. Almost feels like they want to kill it off.

Shaneus said:
If I was to do something like the cafe, I'd just have a few upright machines on freeplay, a few knockabout cocktails running a cheap 60-in-1 gameboard, a couple of donated kiosks for consoles, memorabilia display and a few drinks named after geeky shit. Wouldn't be too hard.
Main problem we ran into was usage rights cost. Remember that shit that happened with Valve and Sierra over the licencing royalty's from internet cafes and Valve wanting a piece of that income stream? Kinda bogged us down in paperwork and overheads so we turfed the idea.

It works fine on a smaller scale but again, we didn't want to just do something small. Having 3 consoles setup for the latest FIFA, one for NBA, a few for Halo/CoD, that kind of thing. Running arcade units or even a PC setup would have been fine but we weren't excited about that so I'm not sure how long we would have stuck with it for. Unless I am excited by an idea I won't follow through with it.

Salazar

Buying Portal 2 (Mac, Steam) for my brother to run on his MacBook Pro.

Anybody have any experience with Source games on (not the newest, nor the oldest) MB Pros ?

Aon

I played Half Life 2 on my 2010 MBP and got a smooth frame rate at native res on highish settings. The laptop got real hot though and the battery life was naught to speak of.

Also Half Life 2 is rubbish on a trackpad xD

Fogz

reptilescorpio said:
Man, latest South Park is a fucking downer. Almost feels like they want to kill it off.

I think they do after comedy central censored them.

I want to track down Book of Mormon though, now that sounds great! :D

reptilescorpio said:
A mate of mine came back from Korea
I don't know many people that have been to Korea. I have a few days scheduled there in September and other than Seoul / tour the DMZ, am not sure what to do there (though have a few ideas).

If your friend has toured there, has he been to Gyeongju? I'm thinking of spending a day or two there. How about Guinsa?

Clipper

Nearing completion... page 48 of 80 in the last book.

photo-42.jpg

Deeku

Salazar said:
Buying Portal 2 (Mac, Steam) for my brother to run on his MacBook Pro.

Anybody have any experience with Source games on (not the newest, nor the oldest) MB Pros ?
They run well for me on medium settings using the dedicated graphics card. But yeah it does get very hot.

Edit: Day well spent clipper! The first thing I'd do if I had one: pretend to fly it around the house while making stupid star wars sound effects.

Clipper

photo-43.jpg

And complete!!!! Last steps were adding guns and the display stand. Only thing left to do is apply the sticker to the display label position. I accidentally left the stickers at work, though, so I'll do that tomorrow or Monday.

I also managed to lose a piece on the floor during the build right near the end of the build. Thankfully, it was one of the 14 or so spare pieces they gave me, so I'll go about finding it later. After that, I had a shock when I discovered two critical pieces (for which there were 108 of in the kit) were missing from my table. I was lucky to find them very quickly on the floor, though. Phew.

All-in-all, this was really worth the money. Looks great and was incredibly fun to build. It isn't for anyone with a low budget, though, that's for sure. Bring on the Super Star Destroyer! It's just a few more months to September...

codswallop said:
If your friend has toured there, has he been to Gyeongju? I'm thinking of spending a day or two there. How about Guinsa?
He was over there for about two years teaching english so I'll send him a message on Facebook and see what he recommends over there. I got the impression he spent most of the time skating, drinking (and sleeping at movie rooms) and watching Starcraft on TV.

Fogz said:
I think they do after comedy central censored them.

I want to track down Book of Mormon though, now that sounds great! :D
They made the episode while deep into production on Book of Mormon and they only had the usual week to make the episode so it sounds like they were venting their frustrations more than trying to make a point. Really dark though, showing the loss of passion drifting the characters through life without being able to interact with the world around them. Wrote themselves into a corner unless they open up the second half of the season with a Dallas moment.

Echoplx

Anyone else getting bad speeds from Steam? With a local server (QLD) I get under 100kb/s but from Seattle I get a consistent 600kb/s. Doesn't make any sense.

reptilescorpio said:
He was over there for about two years teaching english so I'll send him a message on Facebook and see what he recommends over there.
Sweet. Thanks for that. The only other person I know who's been over there is my wife's cousin who's been a dozen times but only in and around Seoul.

Omikron

Started playing Just Cause 2 yesterday evening and it is surprisingly enjoyable. Brainless, yes, but fluid and kinda fun action. Kinda all the things GTAIV wasn't really.

Salazar

Omi said:
Started playing Just Cause 2 yesterday evening and it is surprisingly enjoyable. Brainless, yes, but fluid and kinda fun action. Kinda all the things GTAIV wasn't really.

HOSTILE IN THE SECTAAAAAAH

ALL UNITS

Omikron

Jintor said:
Am I the only person in the world who thought Just Cause 2 still felt janky control-wise

Still had fun though

When I compare it to the other recent sandbox game I have played in GTAIV... its as smooth as a babies bottom.

Jintor said:
Am I the only person in the world who thought Just Cause 2 still felt janky control-wise

Still had fun though
Yeah, I found the controls always seemed to fail me right at the most crucial moments.

Unlike, say, Super Meat Boy or Super Mario Galaxy where the controls were spot on and it was always my own fault if things went pear-shaped.

Jintor said:
I can't think of an Open World game I felt like I had total control in, it's true.
Infamous was the closest I felt to having perfect controls. Once I was about 10 hours in though I had mastered them to the point of thinking ahead of the controls and found myself irritated by certain limitations of the system (like electrical draw distance while on trains or buildings that had railings that lead to poor collision detection).
GTA4 felt like walking in sludge for the first 5 hours until you accepted the controls (see also Killzone 2). Just Cause 2 is much looser, with only a few moments of annoyance coming up for me. Majority of the time it was a joy how free it felt.

Shaneus

Hey AusGAF!

I mentioned a few pages back that I'd have some games that I don't need anymore and would mention them on here. Make me an offer for one or both or something. Special/limited editions where mentioned.

360:
Burnout Paradise
Namco Museum
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Darksiders
Batman Arkham Asylum
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Sega Superstars Tennis/XBLA (pack-in that came with the Arcade 360)
Beautiful Katamari
R* Table Tennis
Sega Rally
Chronicles of Riddick
GTA4
Test Drive Unlimited
Viva Pinata
Soul Calibur 4

PS3: LittleBigPlanet 2

Most of them might not be worth a lot, but they may just be a good way to spend a weekend if you don't have a galaxy-sized backlog like I do.

I'm also thinking of getting rid of some/all of my HD-DVDs as well. If you have a use for them, ask me if I have anything you're interested in!

Damn it Shaneus most of those I already have. Aside from LEGO Star Wars..... No. No I shall not buy more games I will not play for 13 years.

Also am I going crazy for do I not see any Limited Editions there?

Pre-ordered Deus Ex 3 from Green Man Gaming for $28. They have a 20% off coupon on their site and it is a steamworks game. Also if you use my referral link we both get $5 towards some other game. Looking at Cryostatis or the UFO games under $5.

Also Shaneus the new Ital Tek EP is pure gold. Here is a soundcloud link to a track left off the Whip It Up EP.

Shaneus

It's all good, dude... there's probably a few more games I have that I could get rid of that I haven't played for ages, but they're ones I really think I should put time into *eventually*, like Viva Pinata 2.

As for LEs, the only ones I have are for games I really feel I should play... GoW1, Halo 3, Dante's Inferno (amongst others). Yup, I haven't even finished the first Gears or Halo 3.

But if you're really looking at LSW but don't really need it, I can put it aside until you do :)

Rezbit

Ray Chamberlain you purple bastard.

Swans played shit in third quarter but damn. I was listening on the radio on the drive back up to Melbourne and even the ABC were giving the umpies hell.

Madrical

Banned
bodyboarder said:
I gave up after the 3rd episode this season.
I want to, not enjoying it at all.. but it's so hard to after so many years of watching it. The show is a shadow of it's former self.

I went to Empire Toys in Perth for the first time ever.. good lord. My girlfriend had to kick me out because my arms were full of stuff I wanted, just walking around with a constant grin on my face finding different things. At one point I think I had nearly $600 worth of stuff... only ended up spending $120 though, on a NHL figure, a Red Wings DVD, a Jason Voorhees bobblehead thing and the book World War Z. I wanted a $250 giant box collection of Sin City so bad :( Damn TAFE, making me poor. If I was still working full time I would have had to drag a shopping trolley up the stairs.

EDIT:

Rezbit said:
Ray Chamberlain you purple bastard.

Swans played shit in third quarter but damn. I was listening on the radio on the drive back up to Melbourne and even the ABC were giving the umpies hell.

I'm a pies supporter but I do follow Freo because my brother in law supports them as do a few friends but damn they were lucky to get out with a win after that last quarter, not to mention the first two goals they scored were freebies.

Umpiring this round has been horrible, all 3 games I've watched have been poor. I swear the umpires in the Collingwood/Carlton game had money on Carlton to win, the decisions were mind boggling.

Kerrby

Banned
I just got Ocarina of Time 3D for $27 brand new on eBay :D.

Razor Ray is finished after this round, first costing Eagles the game and then costing Swans the game.

Madrical said:
Umpiring this round has been horrible
Fixed. Haven't enjoyed watching footy for many years now because of all the rule changes and everything else the AFL has done to make it the most complex and retarded game to umpire. Each week they are told something different and it even comes down to who is involved a lot of the times.

Madrical

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Fixed. Haven't enjoyed watching footy for many years now because of all the rule changes and everything else the AFL has done to make it the most complex and retarded game to umpire. Each week they are told something different and it even comes down to who is involved a lot of the times.
The rule changes are poor and haven't been necessary but I wouldn't stop enjoying it because of it. But yeah, I agree with you, it's a very hard game to umpire. I'm just glad that they're stopped paying free kicks to people who duck their head into a tackle, not just because it's frustrating, but also dangerous. You still see people doing it though, at one point during a game this week a whole pack of players were running around with their heads down for no reason. It was a split second, but it was completely pointless.

Still the best sport in the world. :)

Rezbit

reptilescorpio said:

Just watched. Wow. Not sure what to think about that ep. Pretty poignant point, but not sure the execution was that terrific.

Madrical

Banned
Rezbit said:
Just watched. Wow. Not sure what to think about that ep. Pretty poignant point, but not sure the execution was that terrific.
Are we talking about the bad music episode?

I downloaded it the night it came out and was just starting to watch it as my girlfriend came over. She'd never seen South Park before (doesn't watch much TV) so it was quite an introduction.

I agree with you Rezbit, the message it was trying to push was pretty standard South Park but the execution was horrible. Could have been much better. Made me think of what I hear when I hear dubstep.

Kerrby

Banned
I'm pretty sure the last episode is there one where
Stans parents get a divorce
. Such a good episode, I really felt depressed after watching it.

legend166

RandomVince said:
Umpires are shit, but swans crowd are a bunch of petulant children.

lol, coming from an Essendon fan, the club whose supporters and sponsors chucked a hissy fit and stopped showing up to games because they didn't like the coach.

Went to the game today. Words cannot express my anger.

8 goals directly from free kicks. 8!

Yagharek

legend166 said:
lol, coming from an Essendon fan, the club whose supporters and sponsors chucked a hissy fit and stopped showing up to games because they didn't like the coach.

Went to the game today. Words cannot express my anger.

8 goals directly from free kicks. 8!

Sydney fans should not be complaining about free kicks at the SCG.

Round 2 this year, your lot won off a free kick awarded for a throw that wasn't there (by Heppell IIRC). This week they finally got what they deserved.

Petulant children indeed.

Kerrby said:
I'm pretty sure the last episode is there one where
Stans parents get a divorce
It was the mid-season finale. There are fourteen episodes ordered for this season. Wikipedia says seasons 13, 14, 15 were ordered at the same time, so perhaps they're setting the scene to wind down the show in the back half of this season.

legend166

RandomVince said:

Round 2 this year, your lot won off a free kick awarded for a throw that wasn't there (by Heppell IIRC). This week they finally got what they deserved.

That wasn't at the SCG, it was at ANZ.

I'm not sure how you still complaining about a perceived injustice 15 rounds ago means that Swans fans are petulant children? Seems like it's the other way around.

Because if we want to go back into ancient history, I'll always have the McPhee out of bounds in my pocket. That's where it all started anyway. Ever since then, Essendon fans act as if Swans fans are sooks because they were annoyed that a clear, 100% indisputable incorrect decision was paid that led to a winning goal.

Rezbit

RandomVince said:

Come on man. Every other teams supporters would rightfully give the umpires shit if they feel they have been wronged. It's part of being a supporter and barracking. So you're saying no-one should EVER be allowed to complain about free kicks because at some point your team might have gotten lucky with some?

The Fleetwood Mac song at the end worked REALLY well in that SP ep.

legend166

Rezbit said:
Come on man. Every other teams supporters would rightfully give the umpires shit if they feel they have been wronged. It's part of being a supporter and barracking. So you're saying no-one should EVER be allowed to complain about free kicks because at some point your team might have gotten lucky with some?

Only Essendon fans can complain (see; round 2).

Kerrby

Banned
codswallop said:
It was the mid-season finale. There are fourteen episodes ordered for this season. Wikipedia says seasons 13, 14, 15 were ordered at the same time, so perhaps they're setting the scene to wind down the show in the back half of this season.

Yeah I know but I didn't want to say latest episode because the episode is over a month old and in case anyone was thinking there was a new episode out lol.

Rezbit, why aren't you in chat complaining about the umpires?

Rezbit said:
Seems like the point was to not have the usual execution, like it was just an outlet for a simple frame of mind rather than take in the whole thing. Cynicism without measure or place. Rather than have the usual setup and realistic circle of thought completed they just left Stan in the shit as if to say there is no positive to take, there is no light at the end of the tunnel to make everything better. Sometimes things can't be changed for the better.

Yagharek

If it isnt clear in 2011 that non-victorian crowds have a distorted reality surrounding free kicks, then I must be arguing with swans/eagles/dockers/lions/suns/crows/power fans.

Yes, I go for Essendon so obviously I must be "biased" but I can watch a collingwood game and pick out obviously bad decisions that they have been ripped off by. Hell, they probably should have won 2002 GF except for some generous umpiring late in the game. So I dont accept that I am biased when it comes to watching AFL umpiring.

The standard of umpiring is indeed poor for the most part in recent years. That is indisputable. But Sydney is one team that has no grounds to complain that they dont get the rub of the green more often than not.

Also, Andrew Dunkley.

Rezbit

So you're saying...Sydney supporters shouldn't support? If holding the ball was paid every time a crowd yelled "BALL!!" we'd have 100 free kicks a game. Crowds get into bagging umps and thinking they know better. When umps fuck up they cop it; they've been called "white maggots" for 50 years, if not more.

Also, I'll be along shortly Kerrby lol.

legend166

RandomVince said:
If it isnt clear in 2011 that non-victorian crowds have a distorted reality surrounding free kicks, then I must be arguing with swans/eagles/dockers/lions/suns/crows/power fans.

Yes, I go for Essendon so obviously I must be "biased" but I can watch a collingwood game and pick out obviously bad decisions that they have been ripped off by. Hell, they probably should have won 2002 GF except for some generous umpiring late in the game. So I dont accept that I am biased when it comes to watching AFL umpiring.

The standard of umpiring is indeed poor for the most part in recent years. That is indisputable. But Sydney is one team that has no grounds to complain that they dont get the rub of the green more often than not.

Also, Andrew Dunkley.

I know that this isn't always an indicator of fair umpiring, but are you aware that 2011 is the first year since 2004 where the Swans have actually recieved more frees for than our opponents (and this year, we're only up by 8). We had a three year run (2005, 2006, 2007) where we finished dead last in terms of that stat.

The idea that the Swans get a dream run is a myth.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
FYI Legend, I don't know how you swans supporters are, but Crows supporters have a major WHAT ABOUT ME??? IT ISN'T FAIR??? attitude when it comes to umpires or even just media covereage.

it's all "OH ITS BECAUSE THEYRE A VICTORIAN TEAM" for every fucking thing, and no call ever goes their way because theyre the fucking underdogs taking on the big bad victorians.

legend166

HolyCheck said:
FYI Legend, I don't know how you swans supporters are, but Crows supporters have a major WHAT ABOUT ME??? IT ISN'T FAIR??? attitude when it comes to umpires or even just media covereage.

it's all "OH ITS BECAUSE THEYRE A VICTORIAN TEAM" for every fucking thing, and no call ever goes their way because theyre the fucking underdogs taking on the big bad victorians.

Every single team in the AFL have a chip on their shoulders regarding umpiring. Heck, every single team in sport does.

The reason you don't notice it as much in Victoria is because you don't have one sided crowds . It's harder to pick it up in a ground where there's 50-50 or 60-40 support for one team. When you go out of Victoria and it's 90-10, it's not surprising you notice it more.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Kewl, so far the 12th and 13th have even numbers of able participants so we'll wait for a few more / confirm that it will be one of those two

Top Bottom