• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

so while I rarely use PSN, I have bought some stuff over the years. So this sucks.
While I get the "it can happen to anyone" argument doesn't mean it doesn't suck any less.

i watched Roger Stirling and Joan get mugged on the streets then have sex straight away. That doesn't happen in real life.

I should stop watching Mad Men for a bit.

Dead Man

Well shit. Nice work Sony. I just changed all my passwords. You dicks. At least my cc has expired since I used it on PSN, but bloody hell, pathetic response.

ClivePwned said:
so while I rarely use PSN, I have bought some stuff over the years. So this sucks.
While I get the "it can happen to anyone" argument doesn't mean it doesn't suck any less.

i watched Roger Stirling and Joan get mugged on the streets then have sex straight away. That doesn't happen in real life.

I should stop watching Mad Men for a bit.

Ahh spoilers!

How am i supposed to be excited about this situation now that i am expecting it.
Disappointed Clive......

Yea i only just got a new CC earlier this year due to a case of random attack fraud. Bank handled it awesomely well, but fk me if i have to change numbers again.

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Ahh spoilers!

How am i supposed to be excited about this situation now that i am expecting it.
Disappointed Clive......

Yea i only just got a new CC earlier this year due to a case of random attack fraud. Bank handled it awesomely well, but fk me if i have to change numbers again.

thing is sony does not store (as per the law worldwide) the CVV number. Thats the number on the back of their card

any fucking online store, website, airline whatever worth their bloody salt asks for that number before processing.

having the no and exp date is no where near as bad as no, exp date and cvv.

its still bad though, but the fact they do not have the CVV is somewhat good.

What Sony need to do is remove all credit card information from their servers and tell people if you want to use PSN with CC, login, change password, re-enter data

if they fucking well launch psn again with everyones CC in tact they are morons, because the hackers can just jump in and buy the shit out of stuff on PSN.

Dead Man

Choc said:
thing is sony does not store (as per the law worldwide) the CVV number. Thats the number on the back of their card

any fucking online store, website, airline whatever worth their bloody salt asks for that number before processing.

having the no and exp date is no where near as bad as no, exp date and cvv.

its still bad though, but the fact they do not have the CVV is somewhat good.

What Sony need to do is remove all credit card information from their servers and tell people if you want to use PSN with CC, login, change password, re-enter data

if they fucking well launch psn again with everyones CC in tact they are morons, because the hackers can just jump in and buy the shit out of stuff on PSN.
Yeah, but it is very possible to make charges to a cc without that number. Just use smaller retailers. Lots of smaller retailers only ask for a card# and expiry.

Clipper

OK, so the e-mails were just taking a while to distribute. Got one for my US account half an hour ago. Oh well, thank goodness I don't use that password for anything important.

Then again, I do use that same password for GAF...

jambo said:
I've only watched half of it so don't spoil it :lol
Well it was only half of a two-parter anyway, so you've only watched a quarter!

There's a lot of speculation over who is
in the astronaut suit
and who
the little girl actually is
. Some have said
the little girl
might be a
young River Song
or
Amy's child
, neither of which I buy, but the argument that the
person in the astronaut suit
who
kills the Doctor
might be
River Song
seems like a reasonable guess to me.

Seems like the whole series (or at least this two-parter) will be centered around
preventing the older Doctor from dying at all
. The new monsters introduced that
make you forget them as soon as you look away
are classic Moffat, too.

Post needs more
redacted

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Yeah the no CCV number thing is something that keeps coming up at work. We being a payment provider for online stores are not able to hang on to the number but no matter how many times I tell people we can't let them have it, they just don't learn.

Clipper

Can we perhaps delay the Doctor Who talk to next week? We're getting the episodes broadcast only one week behind this year (first ep is on Saturday) and I have a policy not to pirate TV shows.

oops- sorry about the MM spoils- I assume everyone else DLed or watched it ages ago rather than wait for disc like me.
more MM spoils in black

Don drinks booze, gets laid a lot, yells at people. Roger Stirling drinks booze, says pithy things. Joan has big tits. Pete Campbell is a douche but his wife isn't in the show enough. SCDP is full of sexist people. Opening theme has three notes repeated 70 times

for reals- the windows in the new office have provided large amounts of LOLS

Dead Man

Clipper said:
Can we perhaps delay the Doctor Who talk to next week? We're getting the episodes broadcast only one week behind this year (first ep is on Saturday) and I have a policy not to pirate TV shows.
Really? Do you mind if I was why? Unless you are contributing to measuring ratings, I see no issue, unless you are avoiding buying dvd's or something.

Choc

Banned
Dead Man said:
Really? Do you mind if I was why? Unless you are contributing to measuring ratings, I see no issue, unless you are avoiding buying dvd's or something.

perhaps he is tryign to send an indication to those who decided 1 weeks delay is what we need is a good thing and not 6 months?

if people continue to pirate the shit out of things even though they arrive within a week, the tv stations will get jack of putting so much effort into get things quickly

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
I was under the impression that unless you have a meter, what you do doesn't count for anything.

true enough i guess. Does anyone here have a meter? how the heck do you get them?

i've done a tv survey before but i just had to write down what i was watching when and someone came picked it up and gave me cash. It was a nielson survey

Fredescu said:
I was under the impression that unless you have a meter, what you do doesn't count for anything.
And in any case, if it was aired on ABC there's not really any extra reason to watch because there are no advertisers to cater to.

I could understand it if it came quickly here and you watched to support the advertisers...

Fusebox

Banned
Choc said:
so you would trust sony with yoru cc details again?

Yep, dickheads like Anon will always be around fucking shit like this up for the rest of us. I'll just use my CC security to deal with any breaches.

SumPog said:
Cheeseburgers in McDonald's don't even deserve to be called cheeseburgers.

Its a burger with cheese in it. What's it missing?

Dead Man

Choc said:
true enough i guess. Does anyone here have a meter? how the heck do you get them?

i've done a tv survey before but i just had to write down what i was watching when and someone came picked it up and gave me cash. It was a nielson survey
Yeah, I did that for the radio a few years ago, but I've never spoken to anyone that contributed to the TV ratings.

Fredescu

Choc said:
how the heck do you get them?
No idea. There's some stuff on the OzTam website about how it works, but unless I'm missing something it just says that the "panel" is "chosen" by them. http://www.oztam.com.au/television-ratings-guide.aspx

codswallop said:
I could understand it if it came quickly here and you watched to support
Unless you have a meter box, you're not contributing to the figures that the marketers pay the money for.

jeez, I remember when it took Channel 2 up to two YEARS after their UK debut to screen new Doctor Who episodes.

Mind you, we didn't have televisions in them olden days. we had to watch "television" on a Viewmaster

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
And in any case, if it was aired on ABC there's not really any extra reason to watch because there are no advertisers to cater to.

I could understand it if it came quickly here and you watched to support the advertisers...

which is why paper giants that absolutely destroyed it in the ratings, was picked up and measured

then channel 9 bought the sequel and will fuck it up something chronic

1. too many ads
2. Its the story of packer, they wont want controversial shit that the ABC really could go with (as they did in PG)

Choc said:
which is why paper giants that absolutely destroyed it in the ratings, was picked up and measured

then channel 9 bought the sequel and will fuck it up something chronic

1. too many ads
2. Its the story of packer, they wont want controversial shit that the ABC really could go with (as they did in PG)

What was controversial about Paper Giants?

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
What was controversial about Paper Giants?

portrayed the packers as rather sexist people... and the treatment of Ita in a very profound and dramatic way

im sure thats probably what was the truth, but I doubt 9 would let that run in the same state.

ClivePwned said:
oops- sorry about the MM spoils- I assume everyone else DLed or watched it ages ago rather than wait for disc like me.
more MM spoils in black

Don drinks booze, gets laid a lot, yells at people. Roger Stirling drinks booze, says pithy things. Joan has big tits. Pete Campbell is a douche but his wife isn't in the show enough. SCDP is full of sexist people. Opening theme has three notes repeated 70 times

for reals- the windows in the new office have provided large amounts of LOLS

Haha, not a big deal. i did infact read those spoilers and they are indeed good and true.
Im on season 3 now, going really slowly.

Clipper

Dead Man said:
It's mostly the principle of the thing. I try not to break laws unless I feel they serve absolutely no purpose. I don't even start to cross the street on a flashing red pedestrian light, even if there are no cars in sight. Things like format shifting my Wii games, I see no point in the law as nobody is harmed by format shifting provided they keep all the copies of the game themselves and don't pirate or support pirates by downloading their images. Same goes for importing games refused classification that would have received an R rating if we had one. That law is outdated and should be gone once that impending reform occurs anyway.

Piracy of TV shows is quite harmful to several parties, so that is a law that I accept and abide by to the fullest.

Choc said:
perhaps he is tryign to send an indication to those who decided 1 weeks delay is what we need is a good thing and not 6 months?

if people continue to pirate the shit out of things even though they arrive within a week, the tv stations will get jack of putting so much effort into get things quickly
And this too. Although my actions won't be measurable in any way, I at least feel morally better by supporting the fast-tracking of shows in this manner.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
It's mostly the principle of the thing. I try not to break laws unless I feel they serve absolutely no purpose. I don't even start to cross the street on a flashing red pedestrian light, even if there are no cars in sight. Things like format shifting my Wii games, I see no point in the law as nobody is harmed by format shifting provided they keep all the copies of the game themselves and don't pirate or support pirates by downloading their images. Same goes for importing games refused classification that would have received an R rating if we had one. That law is outdated and should be gone once that impending reform occurs anyway.

Piracy of TV shows is quite harmful to several parties, so that is a law that I accept and abide by to the fullest.

And this too. Although my actions won't be measurable in any way, I at least feel morally better by supporting the fast-tracking of shows in this manner.
Fair enough, thanks.

Choc

Banned
endlessflood said:
That's the best article I've seen on the situation by far, and way better than the Sydney Morning Herald article.

its a disgrace (no offence mark :) ) that the US so called game journalists have done fuck all on it, written fuck all and obviously haven't considered talking to security experts

they had a 12-14 hour start on Serrels and he has put them all to shame

Punching above its weight. It's a real shame you have that Kotaku name on the site Mark, because unfortunately when i mentioned Kotaku AU to people they go urgh kotaku :)

Obviously you can't comment on that ;) but yeah i think most people feel the same. That the AU version is a bajillion times better.

Clipper said:

Can someone please explain this concept to me.
My view on it is that, why can't i download a tv episode to watch at my own leisure in the time of my choosing. It's free to air on tv and i don't have to pay for that and im not home at the times any of my shows are on. In terms of pay tv. im not paying 60-80 dollars a month to watch 2-3 shows a week, which i will probably miss at air time anyway.

why isnt there a system of 99c downloads to get the episodes from the respective tv stations or something similar. this would still provide them stats on popularity and ensure they know the series is still worth running.

I am aware i am probably coming across as quite ignorant on this subject hence why i would like an explanation of how/why tv show piracy laws are important.

jambo

I download a lot of TV shows, but most of them I actually already own or end up buying when the season box sets come out. The reason I download them, is so I can watch them as soon as they come out, instead of having to wait for months and months.

Dead Man

jambo said:
I download a lot of TV shows, but most of them I actually already own or end up buying when the season box sets come out. The reason I download them, is so I can watch them as soon as they come out, instead of having to wait for months and months.
Yeah, same. Except Top Gear. Stupid not releasing season box set wankers. Yes, I nkw they have started to release them, but nothing before season 10.

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Can someone please explain this concept to me.
My view on it is that, why can't i download a tv episode to watch at my own leisure in the time of my choosing. It's free to air on tv and i don't have to pay for that and im not home at the times any of my shows are on. In terms of pay tv. im not paying 60-80 dollars a month to watch 2-3 shows a week, which i will probably miss at air time anyway.

why isnt there a system of 99c downloads to get the episodes from the respective tv stations or something similar. this would still provide them stats on popularity and ensure they know the series is still worth running.

I am aware i am probably coming across as quite ignorant on this subject hence why i would like an explanation of how/why tv show piracy laws are important.

there is. It's called itunes.

:)

you'd be surprised what you can get on there.

Also the TV networks now provide catchup tv (iview being the best by far) so you can watch what you want when you want.

The biggest issue is when people are downloading US shows months before the AU stations show them. the AU stations pay a lot of money to get those shows and thus need to recoup that in advertising. If people have already watched it people don't watch and advertising dries up.

It's one reason the networks demanded oztam figure out a way to record timeshifted ratings (which they do now somehow) because lots of people record for later use.

The 'free' part of free to air comes from the fact you watch commercials. To legally access the show for free you need to watch those commercials. Yes you would never get arrested or prosecuted but under the law it is illegal to fast forward commercials on free to air recordings.

Bernbaum

codswallop said:
If you want conversational French, look for Pimsleur. I did it for maybe 2-3 weeks, incredibly casually before I went on my first big trip and by God does it work.

When someone came up to me and asked me a question and I instantly knew what they were saying without having to think about it (actually, my wife told me she saw the cogs turning for a moment, as I knew what they'd said but had to make the link), I knew it'd worked. It really was one of those "aha" type moments.

Edit: The biggest problem with the Pimsleur method is that it doesn't train you to read the language, just speak it. Not necessarily a problem depending on what you need, but it leads to occasions where you look at a word and it's spelled totally different to how you thought.
Thanks codswallop and marshmellow for the Pimsleur recommend.

I've been dipping my toes in the world of French for a few weeks and have plenty of resources at hand but Pimsleur was not a thing I knew that existed. Had a look at Rosetta Stone and it looks effective but I can't justify the demanding cost considering I'm not that serious about it.

Current approach has been purely on reading and vocabulary building, which I am full aware is near useless for conversational purposes. At present, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning a whole new means of communication, having not given a shit about LOTE during school years. My approach has been almost entirely digital - I have a french vocabulary building game from Ubisoft (a bit repetitive but it sticks and there's minigames built around constructing sentences); a very good digital French-English Collins dictionary universal app on iPhone/Pad and a few books in French on the Kindle app which I return to following each digital lesson. Not to mention a few french podcasts as well. It's my way of doing it, I'm not travelling to France any time soon, and it's out of pure fascination of seeing how another language is put together.

As for conversational French, I have access to a sister who lived there for years, a few French-born colleagues and there's a few French-speaking Frenchies from real France in one of my social circles. Thoroughly looking forward to them cringing in pain as I mutilate their native tongue and not give a shit.

I am almost done with season two of Mad Men.

It is a very good show.

I went from not seeing the point to loving it immensely over the course of the first season.

I may/may not have started slicking my hair back and parting it with copious amounts of American Crew hair product.

Choc said:

Also the TV networks now provide catchup tv (iview being the best by far) so you can watch what you want when you want.

The biggest issue is when people are downloading US shows months before the AU stations show them. the AU stations pay a lot of money to get those shows and thus need to recoup that in advertising. If people have already watched it people don't watch and advertising dries up.

It's one reason the networks demanded oztam figure out a way to record timeshifted ratings (which they do now somehow) because lots of people record for later use.

The 'free' part of free to air comes from the fact you watch commercials. To legally access the show for free you need to watch those commercials. Yes you would never get arrested or prosecuted but under the law it is illegal to fast forward commercials on free to air recordings.

Ok. What doesn't make sense to me still though. What do they gain from me watching advertising? I was de-sensitized to advertising since i was like 14. I don't think i have voluntarily turned on a tv with the intention of watching something on tv since i was 16.

I have never bought something based on tv advertisements, i either go to the internet or word of mouth, usually both. Are they getting paid commission on number of people watching at the time the advertisement was aired? i figured they would be getting a flat rate for air time not from how many people were assumed to have seen it.

Also - Hate itunes would never have isntalled it in my life had it not been required for iphone. never intend to use it for anything but that.

i have tried iview and wasn't able to backtrack to the beginning of the series i wanted. so that was useless, why would i want to start watching from ep 5

Fredescu

Marshmellow said:
What do they gain from me watching advertising?
Brand awareness. You might never have bought a specific thing because the box told you too, but you will always forever remember popular brand names because they get pounded to you even when you're only half watching.

Marshmellow said:
i figured they would be getting a flat rate for air time not from how many people were assumed to have seen it.
Why would you figure this? Prime time ad space is way more expensive than say, early morning. A popular event even more so.

Bernbaum said:
Thanks codswallop and marshmellow for the Pimsleur recommend.

I've been dipping my toes in the world of French for a few weeks and have plenty of resources at hand but Pimsleur was not a thing I knew that existed. Had a look at Rosetta Stone and it looks effective but I can't justify the demanding cost considering I'm not that serious about it.

Current approach has been purely on reading and vocabulary building, which I am full aware is near useless for conversational purposes. At present, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning a whole new means of communication, having not given a shit about LOTE during school years. My approach has been almost entirely digital - I have a french vocabulary building game from Ubisoft (a bit repetitive but it sticks and there's minigames built around constructing sentences); a very good digital French-English Collins dictionary universal app on iPhone/Pad and a few books in French on the Kindle app which I return to following each digital lesson. Not to mention a few french podcasts as well. It's my way of doing it, I'm not travelling to France any time soon, and it's out of pure fascination of seeing how another language is put together.

As for conversational French, I have access to a sister who lived there for years, a few French-born colleagues and there's a few French-speaking Frenchies from real France in one of my social circles. Thoroughly looking forward to them cringing in pain as I mutilate their native tongue and not give a shit.

I am almost done with season two of Mad Men.

It is a very good show.

I went from not seeing the point to loving it immensely over the course of the first season.

I may/may not have started slicking my hair back and parting it with copious amounts of American Crew hair product.

LOL @ bold. u gave me quite a laugh.

now all u need is smokes, gin and or scotch, then your good to go. Also if u don't have already at work you will be needing a secretary.

Some of my friends have thrown 2 "Mad Men" themed parties which went quite well.

Fredescu said:
Brand awareness. You might never have bought a specific thing because the box told you too, but you will always forever remember popular brand names because they get pounded to you even when you're only half watching.

Purposely stopped watching tv due to advertising. Fair point but i cant think of something i have bought or become aware of that hasn't been word of mouth. 2 examples. Steelseries and Razer. both made aware of by friend referral.(because its a trusted source, completely different from a company telling me about their own product)

Fredescu said:
Why would you figure this? Prime time ad space is way more expensive than say, early morning. A popular event even more so.

Yea but they are still paying for prime air time at a flat rate yes? Prime air time being derived from the number of viewers watching, then again this has pretty much fallen into the generally accepted time slot of 6-10 now

Dead Man

Choc said:

http://www.copyright.org.au/admin/cms-acc1/_images/15761691824ce9be2e38a7c.pdf Says nothing about having to watch commercials, I think you may be a bit off base there.

Top Bottom