• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Marshmellow said:
My view on it is that, why can't i download a tv episode to watch at my own leisure in the time of my choosing. It's free to air on tv and i don't have to pay for that and im not home at the times any of my shows are on.
Because you will skip the adverts, which is how the networks make their money. If they released them with unskippable ads you'd probably transcode or find some other way of skipping the ads.

Bernbaum said:
Had a look at Rosetta Stone and it looks effective but I can't justify the demanding cost considering I'm not that serious about it.
Don't bother with Rosetta Stone. It might be good for learning to read and write a language (I haven't tried), but for a tourist or someone wanting to hold a conversation, it's terrible.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
Because you will skip the adverts, which is how the networks make their money. If they released them with unskippable ads you'd probably transcode or find some other way of skipping the ads.
But that doesn't make a lick of difference if you are not having your watching included in the ratings. I get Clippers position, as it just being what he finds morally correct, but I don't actually see any utilitarian argument at all.

Choc

Banned
Dead Man said:
http://www.copyright.org.au/admin/cms-acc1/_images/15761691824ce9be2e38a7c.pdf Says nothing about having to watch commercials, I think you may be a bit off base there.

it won't mention it on a site like that because its what is called an unenforceable law.

If you dig deep down into the legislation around the communications act and the copyright act from the Federal Parliament it does mention it. Remember that these acts were written before the VCR existed etc.

I studied it as part of 'what constitutes an unenforceable law' when i did legal studies.

Another one is (and this is still law) if a car is travelling over 20km/hr in Australia it must have a red flag at the front of it.

Again, would never get arrested for breaking it but everyone generally does every day!

Dead Man said:
But that doesn't make a lick of difference if you are not having your watching included in the ratings. I get Clippers position, as it just being what he finds morally correct, but I don't actually see any utilitarian argument at all.

Thing is, if i'm paying to watch the show at my convenience then i wouldn't want adds anyway.
But if they are making money from me viewing the show then they shouldn't care because they are still making money and they are still getting their stats. (not sure what value this would equate to on the consumer end)

Ps. just as a thought, im PRETTY sure that iview doesnt show you adds when you are watching a show....correct if im wrong. also ive never tired the other ones.

Dead Man said:
Ratings help advertisers decide when and where to buy their adverts.

Increase of sales come from having adverts positioned at the right time for the right audience.

Networks make money from advertisers. Advertisers make money from people who see their products and buy them (or, as fredescu mentioned, increased brand awareness).

Dead Man

Choc said:
it won't mention it on a site like that because its what is called an unenforceable law.

If you dig deep down into the legislation around the communications act and the copyright act from the Federal Parliament it does mention it. Remember that these acts were written before the VCR existed etc.

I studied it as part of 'what constitutes an unenforceable law' when i did legal studies.

Another one is (and this is still law) if a car is travelling over 20km/hr in Australia it must have a red flag at the front of it.

Again, would never get arrested for breaking it but everyone generally does every day!
Fair enough.

codswallop said:
Ratings help advertisers decide when and where to buy their adverts.

Increase of sales come from having adverts positioned at the right time for the right audience.

Networks make money from advertisers. Advertisers make money from people who see their products and buy them (or, as fredescu mentioned, increased brand awareness).
Yes. But unless your viewings are being measured for the ratings, it does not matter what you do, you have zero influence on the ratings.

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Thing is, if i'm paying to watch the show at my convenience then i wouldn't want adds anyway.
But if they are making money from me viewing the show then they shouldn't care because they are still making money and they are still getting their stats. (not sure what value this would equate to on the consumer end)

Ps. just as a thought, im PRETTY sure that iview doesnt show you adds when you are watching a show....correct if im wrong. also ive never tired the other ones.

iview is run by the ABC, which is the Federal Government, which is outright banned from making money off its services.

7plus and 9catchup tv have advertisements throughout the shows.

Omikron

Marshmellow said:

Well, iView is the ABC and they don't have 'ads' per say.

But some of their shows do have 'adverts' for upcoming shows, particularly the ones captured live (ie. The Drum). :)

Choc said:
iview is run by the ABC, which is the Federal Government, which is outright banned from making money off its services.

7plus and 9catchup tv have advertisements throughout the shows.

Mmm. That tells u how long i have been out of the "TV Loop" for.

would it be viable that they make money off of a premium service? ie. no ads. or do you think that would make advertisers go ballistic?

Omikron

Marshmellow said:

would it be viable that they make money off of a premium service? ie. no ads. or do you think that would make advertisers go ballistic?

I would pay for a service that allowed me to download and access the content I wanted, doubt it will happen any time soon however.

In the meantime, torrents for all the TV I watched regularly.

Dead Man said:
But unless your viewings are being measured for the ratings, it does not matter what you do, you have zero influence on the ratings.
Just because your viewing habits aren't being recorded doesn't mean anything.

If an advertiser buys airtime, and gets nothing in return, then they're going to stop buying ads. So yes, it does matter what you do. Indirectly, sure, but it does matter.

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:

it is against the Act of parliament which allows the ABC to continue with taxpayer funds for it to make money out of commercial arrangements.

Deeku

So I'm really busy at work at the moment and I'm kinda worried after skimming the SMH article.

Can some kind soul tell me how worried I should be? I just cancelled my cc and right now stressing about the passwords I used because it's one of those universal passwords I use for everything (although in short form).

Omi said:
I would pay for a service that allowed me to download and access the content I wanted, doubt it will happen any time soon however.

In the meantime, torrents for all the TV I watched regularly.
Remember, Hulu is coming to Australia! Maybe.

MrSerrels said:
Hey dudes, I'll be on TEEVEE at 4-4.15pm on ABC News 24 if anyone is interested.
What's the program name?

MrSerrels said:
Hey dudes, I'll be on TEEVEE at 4-4.15pm on ABC News 24 if anyone is interested.

.....ahaha funny coincidence. ill see if i can iview u at work serrels. then i shall post opinions. :p

Fredescu said:
Quick, someone pirate Serrels.

Live stream initiate!....this isn't looking promising.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
So I'm really busy at work at the moment and I'm kinda worried after skimming the SMH article.

Can some kind soul tell me how worried I should be? I just cancelled my cc and right now stressing about the passwords I used because it's one of those universal passwords I use for everything (although in short form).

change your passwords

:)
and never use the same password for multiple things again.

Enable SMS security on your online bank account, or better yet get an RSA token. (most of the big 4 offer them for free)

Just keep an eye on your stuff.

The other thing you can do deek to try and avoid identity theft is sign up for mycreditfile.com.au credit alert which is run by Veda who do all the credit checks in Australia

they have a system you can purchase for $50 a year which includes an email alert when your credit file is changed. So if someone applies for a loan in your name and its not you, you should know pretty quickly soon after and you can get it stopped there and then, rather then going through the mess it turns into months later.

Choc

Banned
[/LIST]
MrSerrels said:

awesome

remember guys abc24 livestreams on the net ;)

i lub that tv channel, so much more than i thought i would. I watch it when i get up eating breakfast etc, craps on sunrise/today

do you know who is interviewing you, is it trioli? lol

Fusebox

Banned
Choc said:
The biggest issue is when people are downloading US shows months before the AU stations show them. the AU stations pay a lot of money to get those shows and thus need to recoup that in advertising. If people have already watched it people don't watch and advertising dries up.

Unless our FTA ad-breaks get shorter and the watermarks get smaller I'm happy for 7, 9 and 10 to die painful, underfunded deaths. For me, Australian FTA TV is unwatchable in its current state.

Shaneus

Marshmellow said:
.....ahaha funny coincidence. ill see if i can iview u at work serrels. then i shall post opinions. :p
I opened it up on mine... the news that was on the ticker was the 77 million PS something something.

Omikron

codswallop said:
Remember, Hulu is coming to Australia! Maybe.

Hrmmm, just a quick look at the wiki article... and only 720p ... sometimes. :(

Shall keep an eye on it though, it will largely come down to pricing as per usual.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
Just because your viewing habits aren't being recorded doesn't mean anything.

If an advertiser buys airtime, and gets nothing in return, then they're going to stop buying ads. So yes, it does matter what you do. Indirectly, sure, but it does matter.
That is a pretty nebulous objection, but I'll grant you it may reflect a behaviour change by consumers.

Shaneus said:
I opened it up on mine... the news that was on the ticker was the 77 million PS something something.

Dammit i think the stream is blocked!

Sadness begins. Promptly posting request for screenshot and accompanying caption to be posted.

Omikron

Choc said:
do you know who is interviewing you, is it trioli? lol
664987-virginia-trioli.jpg

Deeku

Choc said:
change your passwords

:)
and never use the same password for multiple things again.

Enable SMS security on your online bank account, or better yet get an RSA token. (most of the big 4 offer them for free)

Just keep an eye on your stuff.

The other thing you can do deek to try and avoid identity theft is sign up for mycreditfile.com.au credit alert which is run by Veda who do all the credit checks in Australia

they have a system you can purchase for $50 a year which includes an email alert when your credit file is changed. So if someone applies for a loan in your name and its not you, you should know pretty quickly soon after and you can get it stopped there and then, rather then going through the mess it turns into months later.
Thanks choc:)

Yeah I have one of those rsa thingys. I've just been using the same (or similar) pws for various things because I can't be bothered remembering different pws. There's probably a program out there to store passwords but I'd rather keep them in my head.

Back to work then!

Omikron

Speaking of downloading TV, how many of you here are watching Game of Thrones?

So far quite enjoyable and reasonably faithful, minus a couple weird name pronunciation changes between eps... whcih was odd. Also, thinking the usage of 'cunt' would make it onto Australian TV? :p

Choc

Banned
This week gets weirder and weirder

Microsoft has unbanned all previously banned systems, aka those which have been detected modded

what the fuck is going on.

Did someone hack XBL and flick a switch?

Omi said:

So far quite enjoyable and reasonably faithful, minus a couple weird name pronunciation changes between eps... whcih was odd. Also, thinking the usage of 'cunt' would make it onto Australian TV? :p

Mentioned this a page or so back. I thought it was brilliant. Surprisingly "raw" but still brilliant.
They say fuck A LOT for a time and age. seems out of place and reminded me far too much of the spartacus pilot where they said c*nt about 500 times in 40 or so minutes

Choc said:

Microsoft has unbanned all previously banned systems, aka those which have been detected modded

Hacker Revolution. It begins.

hamchan

Omi said:

I think it's pretty damn good. I'm only worried it might be overwhelming for first time viewers.

Choc said:

They're probably just testing their new security and detection stuff then they'll just re-ban them lol. They have a list of every banned console id, easy for them to just flip the switch again.

Clipper

Wow, looks like I opened a whole can of worms (I'm quite busy at the moment so sorry I couldn't reply). Most of what I wanted to say has already been said, but I'll add one more thing about downloading TV:

It's similar to the argument about making your own copies of games and ROMs from your own disc/carts or just downloading them from a website. Although you might consider it to be the same action, downloading from a website is supporting the acts of the guy who put the content onto the website. That content is primarily there to be used by pirates and it is clearly an act of piracy to make it available. I could not morally support the actions of said person, and thus choose not to download their content.

jambo

Choc said:

Either an accident, or they're planning to do something with that new disc security beta they've been running.

Omikron

Marshmellow said:
Mentioned this a page or so back. I thought it was brilliant. Surprisingly "raw" but still brilliant.
They say fuck A LOT for a time and age. seems out of place and reminded me far too much of the spartacus pilot where they said c*nt about 500 times in 40 or so minutes

The language used actually doesn't bother me tbh and didn't see too many 'fucks' being out of place. Although the over use of a particular sexual position in the first ep was rather amusing! :p

hamchan said:
I think it's pretty damn good. I'm only worried it might be overwhelming for first time viewers.

Maybe yeah... the first 2 eps have pretty briskly tried to move through and setup the major plot points... hoping they flesh things out a bit more soon.

Omi said:
The language used actually doesn't bother me tbh and didn't see too many 'fucks' being out of place. Although the over use of a particular sexual position in the first ep was rather amusing! :p

Maybe yeah... the first 2 eps have pretty briskly tried to move through and setup the major plot points... hoping they flesh things out a bit more soon.

Hmm yea, i noticed that also thought it funny.

I have suggested this to at least....12 people over the past 2 days.

As i said before, i have only read like 50 pages of the book. would you suggest still reading it or should i stick with the show. I do like the visual aspect of tv over reading. For instance i watch naruto but would never read the manga.
After i saw lord of the rings i never wanted to pick up the books because i know it will ruin the movies for me and probably bore me to tears.

So too early to tell or do i keep reading book alongside watching?

hamchan

Marshmellow said:
Hmm yea, i noticed that also thought it funny.

I have suggested this to at least....12 people over the past 2 days.

As i said before, i have only read like 50 pages of the book. would you suggest still reading it or should i stick with the show. I do like the visual aspect of tv over reading. For instance i watch naruto but would never read the manga.
After i saw lord of the rings i never wanted to pick up the books because i know it will ruin the movies for me and probably bore me to tears.

So too early to tell or do i keep reading book alongside watching?

Read the books because they're super compelling and will be more intricate and detailed than the TV show.

Also read the Naruto manga since the filler crap in the anime is terrible.

legend166

They swear a lot in the GoT TV show?

I was expecting a lot more going into the book. There's the one c-bomb, and a few f-bombs and that's basically it.

hamchan said:
Read the books because they're super compelling and will be more intricate and detailed than the TV show.

Also read the Naruto manga since the filler crap in the anime is terrible.

Tried manga before. also tried devil may cry manga incase it was just naruto.

Nither gave me the rush/awesome feeling watching the anime does so i gave up.

Also dont like the idea of knowing everything that is to come before its shown on the anime.
Mate told me about danzo last wednesday before the anime was out and i was so fkin cut when it was revealed at the end of the episode.

Mar

Choc said:
well playstation is dead to us now.

Breaking: EA to remove ties to PlayStation development.

Choc said:
its a disgrace (no offence mark :) ) that the US so called game journalists have done fuck all on it, written fuck all and obviously haven't considered talking to security experts

they had a 12-14 hour start on Serrels and he has put them all to shame

Not to take anything away from Mark's article, because it is a great one, but I found out about the latest developments to this story early this morning via Gamasutra, Edge and Giant Bomb. Not to mention the fact these sites have been tracking this story since it started on the 21st. I assume you know that this isn't new and has been happening for 6 days?

I utterly agree with you though that Kotaku carries a stigma on it's name and Mark deserves much better recognition. I can only imagine he will be cherry picked by a more respectable publication at some point (though I don't know if any exist in Aus).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How hard is it to find an apartment to buy?

When it claims an apartment is currently for sale but leased by xyz boffins until 2014, Does that mean i can buy it but can't live in it? I'm forced to rent it out?

It would seem like most apartments are hotels just like most hotels are apartments. Where are the pure apartment only stuff, I'm guessing out of my shitty price range.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
When it claims an apartment is currently for sale but leased by xyz boffins until 2014, Does that mean i can buy it but can't live in it? I'm forced to rent it out?
Yep.

evlcookie said:
It would seem like most apartments are hotels just like most hotels are apartments. Where are the pure apartment only stuff, I'm guessing out of my shitty price range.
What do you mean?

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
Breaking: EA to remove ties to PlayStation development.

Not to take anything away from Mark's article, because it is a great one, but I found out about the latest developments to this story early this morning via Gamasutra, Edge and Giant Bomb. Not to mention the fact these sites have been tracking this story since it started on the 21st. I assume you know that this isn't new and has been happening for 6 days?

I utterly agree with you though that Kotaku carries a stigma on it's name and Mark deserves much better recognition. I can only imagine he will be cherry picked by a more respectable publication at some point (though I don't know if any exist in Aus).

absolutely mar, i have been watching it, but the big US sites really are just regurgitating what sony said and putting a bit of opinion around it

mark had the idea to talk to security experts and discuss what this actually means from people who actually kinda would know.....

ie real journalism ;)

from the gaf thread on the hack

Got a message that somebody's been trying to breach into my main email account but didn't know the security questions. Same e-mail I stored on my PS3. Changing passwords everywhere right now, shit just got real.

we can safely assume emails are gone and hacked i think.

Mar

evlcookie said:
How hard is it to find an apartment to buy?

The new owner must honour the lease. Buyers aren't allowed to turf out tenants under a lease unless under exceptional circumstances.

That's a huge lease by the way... The Australian way is to get someone in for 6 months to a year then kick them out! A 3 year lease is unheard of... What's wrong with the landlords of today providing security to their tenants. Sheesh.

Top Bottom