• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Kerrby

Banned
Omi said:
Christ, you might disagree and all that, but do we really need to continue to stoop to the level of debate that has us using terms like 'Juliar' and all its variants.

I am seriously over people doing it, it just makes you look like a cock and makes me ignore your opinion.

It seems to sway some peoples opinions ;).

Kerrby said:
Yeah saw that yesterday and didn't think it could be true. How many times has Julia said this thing would be affordable. The sooner she and Conway are out the better.

So Gilliard is getting blamed for the policies implemented by K.Rudd now? Cool I didn't know that. I guess you could say she should have repealed the policies of the former leader but I'm sure the same people hating on those policies would turn around and hate her for doing that too.
And who is Conway? The only Conway I know is Conway West.

giri

roosters93 said:
So Gilliard is getting blamed for the policies implemented by K.Rudd now? Cool I didn't know that. I guess you could say she should have repealed the policies of the former leader but I'm sure the same people hating on those policies would turn around and hate her for doing that too.
conway is the communications minister (i.e. responisble for all things interents).

for the most part I'm happy with the pretty ordinary ADSL2+ speeds I currently from internode (4 something), though you can get better by playing with the profile on internode's website. I went from 'reliable' to 'faster but less reliable' and doubled my speed without having to reset the router any more than before.

Though at the end of the year, when i want to play Gears3, BF3 and MW3 online, I will kill anyone for faster net speeds

Kerrby

Banned
roosters93 said:

She lied (again). Plain and simple.

I meant Conroy, no idea why I typed Conway but you know what I meant. http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/

Sixty bucks a month for NBN isn't too bad. It should be thirty before I'd consider it truly affordable for the masses, but considering these are one ISP's prices (and Internode aren't exactly at the cheap end of the scale) for a network that is not anywhere near completed, it's not a terrible start.

You guys also realise that Internode's NBN plans are exactly the same price as their Naked ADSL+ plans, right?
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_naked/
http://www.internode.on.net/news/2011/07/236.php

Yes, you may (emphasis on may) get faster speeds with ADSL2+, but the 12Mb is guaranteed.

legend166

codswallop said:
Sixty bucks a month for NBN isn't too bad. It should be thirty before I'd consider it truly affordable for the masses, but considering these are one ISP's prices (and Internode aren't exactly at the cheap end of the scale) for a network that is not anywhere near completed, it's not a terrible start.

You guys also realise that Internode's NBN plans are exactly the same price as their Naked ADSL+ plans, right?

Yes, you may (emphasis on may) get faster speeds with ADSL2+, but the 12Mb is guaranteed.

The * right on that picture says 12mb is not guaranteed :p

Omikron

Kerrby said:
She lied (again). Plain and simple.

I meant Conroy, no idea why I typed Conway but you know what I meant. http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/

Lie? Or just a difference in opinion on what is affordable?

I am thinking more the latter. But hey. Comparison time!

Node ADSL2+
InternodeADSL2.png

Node ADSL2+ Naked
InternodeADSL2Naked.png

NBN
nbnpricingmain-420x0.jpg

codswallop said:

Yea where are u getting the guaranteed speed from. The speed will never be guaranteed.
If i was paying for the speed they listed then i would be all over it. im on a 24/2mbit connection atm but im only getting 700kb/s.

The only way i understand i would get better than that is if they installed an all new line to my house/area. Something which is not going to happen for pretty much ever....as long as its unprofitable to telstra to upgrade the line quality. Look at the plans for cable internet availability and the prices there under internode and iinet.(internode only offer it in melbourne, iinet have it in like 2 suburbs per state)

Marshmellow said:
Yea where are u getting the guaranteed speed from. The speed will never be guaranteed.
They guarantee the port speed. It says it right there. You can never guarantee speed once it gets out of the ISP but I would've assumed everyone here would understand that.

Marshmellow said:
The only way i understand i would get better than that is if they installed an all new line to my house/area.
The NBN is installing fibre Australia-wide (except in rural areas) to support these faster speeds. It's not ADSL so you won't have the variable speeds due to line condition.

I can't remember if we're aiming for FTTE or FTTH but IIRC it's FTTE (needs more acronyms).

Omi, I think you'd probably want to compare Node's NBN prices to their Naked ADSL2+ ones, as you won't need a phone line for NBN*.

* I assume.

Omikron

codswallop said:
They guarantee the port speed. It says it right there. You can never guarantee speed once it gets out of the ISP but I would've assumed everyone here would understand that.

The NBN is installing fibre Australia-wide to support these faster speeds. It's not ADSL so you won't have the variable speeds due to line condition.

I can't remember if we're aiming for FTTE or FTTH but IIRC it's FTTE (needs more acronyms).

Omi, I think you'd probably want to compare Node's NBN prices to their Naked ADSL2+ ones, as you won't need a phone line for NBN*.

* I assume.

Just added those as well once I realised :D

giri

BTW, i think someone defined "affordable Internet" was around $50 per month during the ellection.

I also think i got the conway/conroy thing completely horribly wrong..

Omikron

giri said:
BTW, i think someone defined "affordable Internet" was around $50 per month during the ellection.

I also think i got the conway/conroy thing completely horribly wrong..

I believe it was mentioned that the base package would be just over $50. Yes.

codswallop said:
The NBN is installing fibre Australia-wide (except in rural areas) to support these faster speeds. It's not ADSL so you won't have the variable speeds due to line condition.

I might have slightly misunderstood the aim here. But i thought part of the plan WAS to install in rural areas as 1st priority because of their need for internet too...or something along those lines.

As far as line quality goes, i do understand that it is guaranteed to a point and then that the new network would be a lot better/more reliable. At the rate that cable has been deployed though........ is there a 5 year plan for the NBN or something?

FYI if you looked at the iinet cable plans, they now offer it in springfield lakes QLD. i used to live there when it was built. We were promised cable. That cable line has sat there for 5 years unused. It is only now connected and you can get cable there......thats pretty farkin pathetic if you ask me.

Choc

Banned
as someone said on the television last night

1. politicians always lie

2. they could never have predicted the hung parliament which required negotiations to occur. If labor had a majority we wouldnt have a carbon tax on the table imho.

and if Abbott had managed to win them over and BobKat, the economy would be getting arse fucked by all teh concessions given to rural people, the revocation of the free trade agreements and reintroduction of tariffs

BobKat thinks the carbon tax will kill the economy, but his policies would do 1 billion times more damage

i don't support either Julia or Tony, but Tony is from the Howard era, and that is not a good thing. He has zero policies and changes his mind every five fucking seconds depending on public senitment. That era was also the introduction of negative gearing on investment properties. Which is why our housing is out of control and no one can afford to live near the cities unless they are investment bankers, lawyers or cosmetic surgeons

We have a major problem in Sydney. Housing affordability is so low, nurses, cops, firemen etc can't afford to live here. So without them we don't have an emergency service

This is a MAJOR FUCKING PROBELM THAT NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH. Barry O 'Farrell realises its a huge problem but no one else seems to.

he is not an effective opposition leader. They need to put Malcolm Turnbull as their leader and they will romp the next election easily. The electorate does not like TA, its just right now he is hte alternative against what people call a very bad government.

Also calling the head of our nation names is real mature isnt it. Thats right put yourself with the lowest common denominator filth our country has produced over this carbon tax period.

Also, Keerby, i can't imagine you were working during the Workchoices era. Go look up what workchoices meant and meant for employees and think about whether you want the IR minister of the time as your national leader. THe answer is, you do not.

Another hung parliament would do me just fine right now. Our country has gone to shit since Tony took opposition leader.

edit: i remember days when 5gb was $100 for broadband, so seriously, the NBN prices aren't too bad. People need to get the fuck over it.

Kerrby

Banned
Choc said:
he is not an effective opposition leader. They need to put Malcolm Turnbull as their leader and they will romp the next election easily. The electorate does not like TA, its just right now he is hte alternative against what people call a very bad government.

This I agree with.

Choc said:
Also, Keerby, i can't imagine you were working during the Workchoices era. Go look up what workchoices meant and meant for employees and think about whether you want the IR minister of the time as your national leader. THe answer is, you do not.

You are also correct here.

Choc said:
Another hung parliament would do me just fine right now. Our country has gone to shit since Tony took opposition leader.

Couldn't you say the same for Gillard? She had the election when she was at the top of her popularity and it ended up in a hung parliament. Now she's the least popular PM in Australias history.

Choc

Banned
As expected, there was no consensus decision at today’s SCAG meeting – all states except NSW have agreed in principle to and R18+ rating for games, with the NSW AG abstaining from the vote as expected.

sigh.

85% say yes but it still doesn't happen. Unbeliveaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaable. Undemocratic. Complete arse

So to the other states, when the federal government legislates your power on this away from you, go pat the NSW AG on the back and congratulate him on that one. He just cost you the power to run your own classification systems if what the fed gvt said they will do, happens.

Marshmellow said:
I might have slightly misunderstood the aim here. But i thought part of the plan WAS to install in rural areas as 1st priority because of their need for internet too...or something along those lines.
12Mb minimum for everyone, and up to 100Mb in built-up areas getting fibre. With the ability to be upgraded (just network switches) to 1Gb when relevant.

Do we all get to bitch about NSW now like we used to about SA? It's now NSW's fault we don't have an R18+ rating! Get with the program, guys!

Omikron

Choc said:
As expected, there was no consensus decision at today’s SCAG meeting – all states except NSW have agreed in principle to and R18+ rating for games, with the NSW AG abstaining from the vote as expected.

sigh.

85% say yes but it still doesn't happen. Unbeliveaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaable. Undemocratic. Complete arse

So to the other states, when the federal government legislates your power on this away from you, go pat the NSW AG on the back and congratulate him on that one. He just cost you the power to run your own classification systems if what the fed gvt said they will do, happens.

Feds will hopefully just overule now.

codswallop said:
12Mb minimum for everyone, and up to 100Mb in built-up areas getting fibre. With the ability to be upgraded (just network switches) to 1Gb when relevant.

Righto. As i said before, have they outlined a timeline for this?

I think i can safely assume that the 1Gb would be like city only.

giri

Omi said:
I believe it was mentioned that the base package would be just over $50. Yes.
I don't believe based was the phrase used, but affordable.

/me shrug

It matters little to me, they lied about the costings of it, bought their way in with more ludicrous promises. And i still think it's a bad idea when it's going to take decades to get the cost back, when wired could see a dramatic loss in uptake.

I'm not against it in general, i think it's a great thing to have for the country, i just think we're about a decade too late.

Marshmellow said:
Righto. As i said before, have they outlined a timeline for this?

I think i can safely assume that the 1Gb would be like city only.
I think it was 7 years from when it started a year or two ago.

Hey Serrells, tell us your Twitter secrets under the Chatham House Rule.

Is it this?

Gamespot said:
GameSpot understands NSW is keen to make a decision on its R18+ stance ASAP; could be calling an of session cabinet meeting for this.

Kerrby

Banned
codswallop said:

Is it this?

Oh man, could this be it :D?

Chances of this happening?

GameSpot_AU GameSpot Australia
GameSpot now understands NSW's decision on R18+ could come in the next few weeks. #r18au

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Choc got sucked in by the WorkChoices scare campaign :(

No i didn't but there was some utter bullshit in the laws if you read them.

I don't rely on the ACTU to make my decisions for me.

codswallop said:
I think it was 7 years from when it started a year or two ago.

Is it this?
Why wouldn't they get their stance sorted before there was a vote on it?

pieatorium said:
Why wouldn't they get their stance sorted before there was a vote on it?
The Classification Law Review closed on the same day as the public comment on the Computer Game Classification so I assume he's waiting on the results of that before making a decision.

Shaneus

So, getting away from politics... what's everyone got planned for this w/e? I'm seeing Sash! tonight then cleaning up for Tuesday's house inspection over the rest of the weekend.

Kerrby

Banned

Ventron

Choc said:

If it wasn't for TA, Rudd would still be in power and loved by everyone, and the Libs would have lost even more seats in 2010 in a landslide. It was because of pressure from TA that KR dumped all his policies and exposed him as not standing for anything.

TA's pressure helped get a PM sacked, might possibly get another sacked, and he's not as effective an opposition leader as MT? Turn it up.

All these things that are being said about TA now (he's too negative, not effective etc.) were all said about MT when he was leader. Funny how nobody remembers that.

rass

Shaneus said:
So, getting away from politics... what's everyone got planned for this w/e? I'm seeing Sash! tonight then cleaning up for Tuesday's house inspection over the rest of the weekend.
moving house.

The worst part about moving is all of it.

Ventron

Wait, what's this about an R18 press conference?

Serrels tweeted he got some interesting info but is not allowed to say anything...

Top Bottom