• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:
I decided to jump on to Amazon.co.uk and see how much it was going for. I couldn't resist.

Yeah, that price was too good. I had it pre-ordered at full price somewhere else, but ended up cancelling as I decided I didn't really want/need it. Then I saw this price, and thought "fuck it".

The packaging is pretty damn fantastic. Easily the nicest BluRay box I've seen. Nowhere near as good as the DVD EE's but, really, what is?

Clipper

Yeah, the box is amazingly good quality. I'm a tad disappointed that he Digital Copies included in the US set were the download type, but I guess it'd be an 18-disc set if they went the disc method, so I suppose it's OK. Still, I'm glad my Uni quota is unlimited. Downloaded all 10GB yesterday :/.

Ydahs

Ydahs said:
Anyone know of a good website to buy smartphones? I don't want it attached to plans or anything. I want to buy it and use it with my Optus pre-paid card.

Also, what would be a decent Android smartphone in the $300-$400 range? Would it be a better option to import? Or buy locally?

Getting tired of carrying my crappy phone and my iPod Touch everywhere I go.
Anyone?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jambo said:
I got the same one JaseC, so awesome.

I'll be buying all my Blu-ray box sets from there in future.

Ditto.

EatChildren said:
Yeah, that price was too good. I had it pre-ordered at full price somewhere else, but ended up cancelling as I decided I didn't really want/need it. Then I saw this price, and thought "fuck it".

The packaging is pretty damn fantastic. Easily the nicest BluRay box I've seen. Nowhere near as good as the DVD EE's but, really, what is?

I was sold on the original VAT-inclusive price, but as I was going through the checkout I remembered that it'd be deducted. ~$56 total, golfham.

I haven't seen the films since their respective theatrical runs. Can't wait.

Edit: And my book just arrived! What a glorious day.

Waikis

Ydahs said:

May I know why would you want to use a prepaid card with a smart phone? Dont they have an extremely limited data plan and thereby negating the benefits of using a smart phone in the first place?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:

You haven't seen the Extended Editions? Holy shit are you in for a treat.

jambo

Clipper said:
Downloaded all 10GB yesterday :/.

What quality is it?

JaseC said:

They are so much better, you'll never watch the theatrical editions again.

And the special features are out of this world. I'm talking Alien Quadrilogy levels of awesomeness!

Rahk

Uh, I haven't even seen the theatrical runs except for the first movie...

Box set arrived last week, now I need 50 free hours to watch it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
You haven't seen the Extended Editions? Holy shit are you in for a treat.
jambo said:
They are so much better, you'll never watch the theatrical editions again.

And the special features are out of this world. I'm talking Alien Quadrilogy levels of awesomeness!

Awesome! :)

Ydahs

Waikis said:
May I know why would you want to use a prepaid card with a smart phone? Dont they have an extremely limited data plan and thereby negating the benefits of using a smart phone in the first place?
Cost is the main issue. I can't afford $60 a month at the moment, but an Android smartphone would be used for both development and to replace my iPod Touch.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just learned the Girlfriend has Vista on her laptop. No Girlfriend of mine is running that shit.

VOOK said:
Just learned the Girlfriend has Vista on her laptop. No Girlfriend of mine is running that shit.
Agreed. Get Win7 running on that thing ASAP

I'm still alive. Moving house to Warrnambool tomorrow though. Yay.

Also tried to work out adsl2 but all the companies I called had Indian operators so I still couldn't work out what I should do. Need to get a phoneline as well as adsl. Sucks. Power is on though!

That new melee FPS that was in the new game informer looks cool. Art director of Half Life 2 + Harvey Smith from Deus Ex and Thief equals must buy

VOOK said:

Vista hate always baffles me. I never had a single issue in the couple years I had it on my laptop before moving on to 7 and would have moved it over to my desktop if it wasn't such an old shitbox.

Shaneus

Know what I love about low carbing it? Eggs and bacon for dinner. For a snack, I can have pork rinds with sour cream.

Fucking love this shit.

Shaneus said:
Know what I love about low carbing it? Eggs and bacon for dinner. For a snack, I can have pork rinds with sour cream.

Fucking love this shit.

but you can't have your bacon and eggs on bread :'( I don't understand. Do you just not eat carbs?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
gmcvv.png

ITS HAPPENING

rass

Neverender said:
I lost 3 demerit points (of the 5 allowable before being suspended) last year for not having my P plates up. It was a harmless mistake. In Vic.
surprised they didn't take your car off you for 30 days under hoon laws. I hate the vic specific road rules/demerit system.

relevant!
my gf's laptop is on vista as well. And I've never seen the EEs of LoTR either. Both will be rectified in time.

Deeku

Starting to get sick of all this stupid rain in Sydney. It's created like 10 massive pot holes on Epping road. And I use the term "hole" loosely since they're more like reverse speed humps.

commanderdeek said:
Starting to get sick of all this stupid rain in Sydney. It's created like 10 massive pot holes on Epping road. And I use the term "hole" loosely since they're more like reverse speed humps.
I doubt it's anything like we've had to go through here, whole roads were like swiss cheese for months

reptilescorpio said:
I hate hoons. More strict laws would be great in my opinion. Driving is a privilege not a right.

Also you guys like that Firefly show? Pre-order the blu-ray at Amazon for $28, although it doesn't release until September. Never been a fan, especially of Fillion.
The concern I have is didn't Whedon say that to cut costs (and they had a whole lot of costs to cut to make Fox happy) they rendered all the CG in barely SD acceptable standards? Did they re-render everything for the blu-ray or is it glorific HD assness?

Planet_JASE said:
The concern I have is didn't Whedon say that to cut costs (and they had a whole lot of costs to cut to make Fox happy) they rendered all the CG in barely SD acceptable standards? Did they re-render everything for the blu-ray or is it glorific HD assness?
I gotta say, whether SD or HD, if you like the show just get it. I've been watching the HD Star Trek remasters and though the exterior shots in HD CGI look great, they already look dated.

EatChildren

markot said:
Those smelly poms are trying to start a brit gaf thread >.<!

We'll see about that.

Shipping refused for SE215s. :(

Time to look elsewhere, locally I guess. Or for something else. Hate manufacturers that force regional price fixing.

commanderdeek said:
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=523

This place is good, used them a few times:)

Edit: hmm looks like you'd be paying 30 bucks more which kinda sucks.
Yeah, not impressed that it's a 40% mark up (I checked there the other day). Looks like they're doing it simply to enforce regional pricing as most AU sites are the same. I hate that and am rethinking whether to get something from someone else.

Clipper, download copies are probably better; my Terminator 2 EE DVD would never play the on-disc WMA HD version and a year or two ago they stopped the license server altogether, so it's totally worthless now.

Ydahs

Holy shit @ bombings in Norway.

Have only gotten three hours of sleep, been watching the news. Some horrid images, with around 30 shot down at a youth camp :(

Sky News AU covering it well.

Planet_JASE said:

I have the Region A Firefly Blueray from the US (Its on of the few Fox Blurays that's not region locked). It's mostly good with the CG being upscaled pretty decently for the most part. However, there's maybe one shot in every episode that stands out looking awful- mostly bluescreen shots of people standing in front of a big viewing screen or spaceship window, that looks aliased to fuck

For the most part its Firefly in HD. You'll notice how cheaply the show was made for compared to some more popular shows (as in network ratings in 2002, not nerds in 2011) a little more in HD. Some sets really do not stand up well to HD scrutiny.

ClivePwned said:
I have the Region A Firefly Blueray from the US (Its on of the few Fox Blurays that's not region locked). It's mostly good with the CG being upscaled pretty decently for the most part. However, there's maybe one shot in every episode that stands out looking awful
Then again, even the LOTR EE are guilty of occasionally having terrible looking scenes (about 10 mins into ROTK with Merry and Pippin, for example).

Top Bottom