• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Kerrby

Banned
Ydahs said:
Holy shit @ bombings in Norway.

Have only gotten three hours of sleep, been watching the news. Some horrid images, with around 30 shot down at a youth camp :(

Sky News AU covering it well.

Turned on the TV, haven't seen one channel cover it today on free to air.

legend166

I think my Wii is busted. Every time I try and play Smash Bros it freezes on the level select screen. This is the whole dual layer DVD thing right?

ClivePwned said:
I have the Region A Firefly Blueray from the US (Its on of the few Fox Blurays that's not region locked). It's mostly good with the CG being upscaled pretty decently for the most part. However, there's maybe one shot in every episode that stands out looking awful- mostly bluescreen shots of people standing in front of a big viewing screen or spaceship window, that looks aliased to fuck

For the most part its Firefly in HD. You'll notice how cheaply the show was made for compared to some more popular shows (as in network ratings in 2002, not nerds in 2011) a little more in HD. Some sets really do not stand up well to HD scrutiny.
Cool, thanks. I'm still uncertain as to whether Firefly is aesthetically suited for HD, as it was meant to be grainy and grimy looking. It does seem like one of those shows that I'd get anything from the extra Ds.

Jintor said:
87 dead? Better be a mistranslation
ABC seems to be reporting this number, too. It appears to be depressingly accurate, at this point. Why do we constantly do these things? Why must we prove that we don't deserve to be on this planet?

*sigh*

Omikron

Managed to stay awake last night and watch what was perhaps the best stage I have ever seen in the Tour de France, just amazing.

Counter than this morning by the awful news out of Norway. Just awful. Reminds me of when I lived in Hobart and was hearing the news of the Port Arthur stuff. :( And this appears to be far, far worse.

Planet_JASE said:
Cool, thanks. I'm still uncertain as to whether Firefly is aesthetically suited for HD, as it was meant to be grainy and grimy looking. It does seem like one of those shows that I'd get anything from the extra Ds.
It should be noted that intentional graniness improves with additional resolution.

Films like Midnight Cowboy look great in HD. Bad transfers and encodes make the picture look smooshy. Problem is, everyone expects a 'clean' picture from all HD transfers.

Aon

It's so fucked up that the guy rounded up and then opened fire at a youth camp.

A fucking youth camp. This is what guns do, world. They kill people.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
gmcvv.png

Confirmed attendees:
HolyCheck - > http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0222957846315_646156314_7612929_8171548_n.jpg PICTURE OF ME
Aon
Kase23

(How did you syd gaf / bris gaf guys go about removing the awkward "hi... are you here from gaf" at the start? SHOULD I POST A PICTURE OF MYSELF SO YOU CAN ALL BE LIKE OH HAI NICK")

Rezbit

Jesus christ this news is terrible. You're right about Port Arthur Omi, just took me right back. So tragic. It's horrifying to think there are people capable of this.

EDIT: Damn it, unfortunately I will have to pull out of Mel Gafsons birthday. I WAS SO EXCITE TOO :( Have to head back down to Tassie.

Kerrby

Banned
HolyCheck said:
gmcvv.png

Confirmed attendees:
HolyCheck
Aon

(How did you syd gaf / bris gaf guys go about removing the awkward "hi... are you here from gaf" at the start? SHOULD I POST A PICTURE OF MYSELF SO YOU CAN ALL BE LIKE OH HAI NICK")

I'd probably get jumped by the majority of AusGAFers so probably best I don't come.

HolyCheck

Kerrby said:
I'd probably get jumped by the majority of AusGAFers so probably best I don't come.
That attitude don't fly here.

*glares*

Adding a clause: No murdering of any AusGAF members will occur, except by the hands of Aon at Street Fighter 4 if it's on at manabar.

HolyCheck

Aon said:
Am I now obligated to phototise myself, or shall we just all awkwardly sidle up to check xD

lol no need aon, i just put that there so people would have a OH THERES CHECK. rrather than "ok.. lets spot a group of geeky looking guys in the line up for manabar...."

Salazar

http://www.smh.com.au/business/discounts-begin-entrylevel-option-drops-below-40-20110722-1hsst.html

A LOW-COST option for the national broadband network has emerged, with a discount carrier promising broadband and telephone services for less than $40 per month.
The news comes a day after Internode released the first retail prices for customers with access to the government-owned network.

Internode's prices range from $60 to $190 which is higher than expected for the faster speeds. The managing director, Simon Hackett, said this was because of the high access and capacity fees NBN Co was charging for its fibre-optic network.

But the managing director of Melbourne-based ispONE, Zac Swindells, said that the number of connection points on NBN Co's network imposed a bigger cost than capacity charges. IspONE is an aggregator, which means it connects directly into NBN Co's network and then sells access and services to smaller companies which then onsell to retail customers.
''We are used as [internet service providers] to paying the [capacity] charge. The issue is the back-haul charge from the 121 exchanges which is going to create greater costs to us,'' he said.

But the connection costs are not a concern for wholesale customers such as cut-price carrier Dodo, which resells Telstra or Optus services under its own label.
Dodo confirmed plans yesterday to offer an entry-level product for less than $40 per month.

I have no idea what any of this means.

kase23

HolyCheck said:
lol no need aon, i just put that there so people would have a OH THERES CHECK. rrather than "ok.. lets spot a group of geeky looking guys in the line up for manabar...."
I had planned on doing what I did for the first day of Uni, turn up late, scope the room for the most laid back group and shack up with them till I find out where im really supposed to be. ;)
Confirm me for the 13th

Omikron

HolyCheck said:
really what is the point of such amazing speed if you can only use it for 30gig a month...

To you or I, I doubt 30gb makes any sense, but those that just do regular browsing, email and a bit of streaming media (say, iView style stuff), this sort of plan is perfect. My parents would probably jump all over it for example.

BTW, a saturday for that meetup most likely doesn't work for me...

etax done. Oh christ that's painful. Now to wait for a refund
or a refund, then an audit

I apparently have high deductions for my newly-found low income. But am getting a substantial refund so that should compensate me somewhat for being a bum.

My cat looks like a zombie today. He had some vaccinations yesterday and has about as much energy as JFK's corpse.

Too soon?

So it turns out there's an entire community dedicated to seeking out first pressings or rare Japanese masters of LPs, who then capture them using pro-level turntables and equipment, and then share them at super-high fidelity (we're talking 24-bit, 192KHz FLACs here).

Some of them sound simply amazing.

Edit: I wonder whether the first MelGAF meetup might not be better on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. A lot frequently have things on Saturday nights (I know we're talking GAF members, but still ;) and it seems like BrisGAF has done alright with Sunday afternoon meetups. If you started at say, 3pm, then those who only wanted to hang around for a couple of hours could and those who wanted to go for an all nighter still could. Just a thought. Either way, kudos to HolyCheck for getting the ball rolling.

So I'm getting buzzed by myself at home drinking SoCo and Rum (seperately). foreveralone.jpg trololol

If it makes it any better I'm iMessaging a mate who is doing the same. lol

roosters93 said:
So I'm getting buzzed by myself at home drinking SoCo
Oh man, Southern Comfort is my "no go" drink after I got totally hammered on it like a decade ago and threw it up all over the place. I'm sure everyone has a "no go" drink.

Kerrby

Banned
Southern Comfort is the most disgusting shit I've ever tasted. I have a bottle staring at me that's been there for the past 8 months that I just can't drink.

haha. yeah it's defnitely not good shit but it goes down smoothly and tastes kinda fruity. I've drunk it all so now I just have Appletown Estate Jamaica Rum.

Kerrby

Banned
roosters93 said:
haha. yeah it's defnitely not good shit but it goes down smoothly and tastes kinda fruity. I've drunk it all so now I just have Appletown Estate Jamaica Rum.

That fruity taste is what I can't stand, also it's too sweet for me.

Someone recommended it to me saying "you'll get all the bitches drinking it". So far no one I've shared it with had liked it haha.

Yagharek

VOOK said:
Haha yup that was me, did you see me on the road?

Yeah but you were in front and my wife pointed out the numberplate as weird. Then I checked this thread and lo and behold its the same car. Small world.

Jintor

Here's an extremely shitty celphone pic of the thing I was talking about yesterday

tumblr_losk7wUFTm1qgs4kho1_500.jpg

It's A3 size and going to be a bitch to scan, luckily there's a Kwik Kopy in St Leonards, they better have A3 scanners

Shaneus

Oh shit, Cadel won? Fucking awesome. Normally couldn't give two shits, but patriotism ho!

BTW That looks really awesome, Jintor. Love following the drawings of people in this thread :)

jambo

Man, this is getting better and better. All the games I tried to day ran great and even Metro 2033 runs super smooth in DX11 mode with everything set to High.

:D

legend166

So, my PC doesn't boot. It just sits at the motherboard screen. I can't even get into the UEFI set up because the keyboard doesn't work.

Top Bottom