• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
oh man had i ever bought text books i would have been all over that.

although I do have one subject i'm about to do this semester that requires me to buy a text book as it comes with access to some sociology website, and i've spoken to the publisher about it.. and the cheapest way to buy it is some horrid online only version that doesnt even allow text highlighting / copying / pasting / ctrl F'ing, it's essentially just a hundred jpegs. that i have to be online to view? and thats still $70

who was it from here that went to unisa.. ugh i forget, we had some of the same classes, so perhaps you have done global societies?

vanty

Google Street View finally updated. Pictures (in Melb at least) were taken in early 2010, so nice and sunny. Makes it far more useful especially with the significantly higher res.

They're also sending out the cars again soon, and this time without any wifi snooping scandals or anything to cause such a huge delay before updating.

Agyar

legend166 said:
Since when was 'bipartisan swing voter' an insult?
Conveniently leaving out the context, including the "alarmist" portion of the sentence. When all you're doing is jumping back and forth between the two major parties as a result of whatever's running on news.com.au that day it's hardly making your vote count. Being a swinging voter is one thing but it's the reasons behind your decision that are important, as they are for every voter. Buying into the bullshit, fear-mongering and populist pandering is only fueling the awful state of politics in this country.

I agree that being able to change your mind and support rather than blindly following one party is important to democracy. I also think it's important to think long-term and get involved to make a difference. I joined the Greens because I agree with their policies and value their idealogies. Becoming more involved in the party will allow me to have my say more often than once every three years and hopefully, shape those policies and attitudes going forward. I believe that being critical of all the political parties is important and even more so when you support them.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
Conveniently leaving out the context, including the "alarmist" portion of the sentence. When all you're doing is jumping back and forth between the two major parties as a result of whatever's running on news.com.au that day it's hardly making your vote count. Being a swinging voter is one thing but it's the reasons behind your decision that are important, as they are for every voter. Buying into the bullshit, fear-mongering and populist pandering is only fueling the awful state of politics in this country.

I agree that being able to change your mind and support rather than blindly following one party is important to democracy. I also think it's important to think long-term and get involved to make a difference. I joined the Greens because I agree with their policies and value their idealogies. Becoming more involved in the party will allow me to have my say more often than once every three years and hopefully, shape those policies and attitudes going forward. I believe that being critical of all the political parties is important and even more so when you support them.

haha ag :) i dont do that. The first time i voted liberal in my life @ a state election was the one just gone. Over the years labor whittled away any liking i had for them.

I don't agree with Tony right now, and i don't agree with Labors performance in general. Carbon tax i am undecided on.

I think politics in Australia right now is the most fucked its ever been and many people agree with me. We are becoming more and more like the US where personal attacks in parliament are common rather then proper bloody debate.

FWIW i read news.com.au smh etc with a grain of salt. I make my own decisions.

jambo

Judging from the old footage I've seen from the parliament in Australia in the 80s and 90s it's always been about personal attacks.

Keating used to spend hours just destroying people.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Judging from the old footage I've seen from the parliament in Australia in the 80s and 90s it's always been about personal attacks.

Keating used to spend hours just destroying people.

Censure motions yes, but thats the point.

Good opposition does not say no to everything.

ClivePwned said:
also- there's a new JB in Mount Gravatt at Big Top on Logan Rd in Brisbane for SouthsideCAGBrisAusGaf. Not sure if it's open yet

Ah nice. I've been told the one at the hyperdome is generally packed for the family and friends sale's so I never bother.

Ydahs

Has anyone here successfully created a US iTunes account? Feel like buying some FMA, but it's not available in the Aussie store and it's too expensive off Fishpond.

Did tax on the same day as my wife. Her refund (about $900) has come through. Still waiting on my estimated two cent refund. Oh yeah, TWO CENTS.

Choc said:
FWIW i read news.com.au
My Murdoch Block browser plugin won't let me go to that site.

Gazunta

Jintor said:
Oh I'm in alright. I was going to start a "GAFfers who make comics talk shop here" thread but I'll leave it until after this challenge is over.

To be honest I don't think I'll have time to do the daily comic AND a piece for this challenge, so will cheekily integrate the daily challenge into the comic somehow :p

Aon

Ydahs said:
Has anyone here successfully created a US iTunes account? Feel like buying some FMA, but it's not available in the Aussie store and it's too expensive off Fishpond.

Yeah I have one that I buy US specific apps with. Just Google for a guide, most seem to work.

Clipper

Ydahs said:
I have one to redeem the Digital Copies that come with the US Blu-Rays I buy (US PS3). Easiest way to activate one is with the redeem codes for any iTunes content/cards. That way, you don't need a credit card with a US address associated with your account.

In my case, I just used my first Digital Copy code as the code to update my account and it worked perfectly, but I'm almost certain you can do the same with the cash cards. Of course, you'll need someone in the US to buy one of those cards for you and send you the code.

midonnay

wow, they finally caught Evil@efnet

he was the hacker that crippled Sydney University's website awhile back as well as destroying a webhosting business DistributeIT and many other small businesses when he wiped their harddrives (as well as their backups)

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/evil-hits-university-security-20110118-19vcw.html

http://risky.biz/distributeit

a real evil motherfucker

turned out to be an unemployed truck driver >_>;

2812542-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-27/afp-makes-hacking-arrest/2811780

An unemployed truck driver who allegedly gave himself the online nickname 'Evil' has been refused bail over what police say could have been Australia's biggest hacking attack.

Twenty-five-year-old David Cecil appeared in court in the New South Wales town of Orange to face more than 40 charges related to an alleged attempt to hack into the systems of Platform Networks, one of the 13 service providers for the National Broadband Network (NBN).

Australian Federal Police officers arrested Cecil yesterday at his home in Cowra after a six-month investigation which they say began when he started bragging about his plans in an internet chat room.

Police say Cecil was working alone and could have caused considerable damage to Platform Networks' systems and to those of other companies.

But they say the attack did not have the potential to cause serious disruption to the $36 billion NBN.

"What he'd basically done is that he'd tunnelled into their [Platform Networks'] system, he had bypassed their firewalls, he'd also bypassed all of their security systems," Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan told ABC TV's 7.30.

"So he was in the position where he was mapping their infrastructure, which enabled him, if you like, to be in a position to compromise not only the network more broadly, but also the system where he could basically collapse it if it seemed necessary to do so."

AFP commander Grant Edwards says the NBN was never on the verge of collapse because of Cecil's actions.

Police allege that Cecil is a self-taught hacker and police say he spent up to 20 hours a day on his home computer as he worked on the attack.

jambo

Sounds like he's a lot more than a script kiddie/bogan!

I picked up new Ultimate Spider-Man and Penny Arcade Vol 4 today, comics will be the death of my wallet.

r1chard

ARGH "enabled him, if you like, to be in a position to compromise not only the network more broadly, but also the system where he could basically collapse it if it seemed necessary to do so."... when he hacked Platform Networks they weren't even part of the NBN.

The article at The Age is of significantly higher quality.

Oh man, now I'm depressed... I searched for a thread I commented in yesterday and came across a thread about the Stolen Generation Apology from a few years back...Holy shit some of the comments were beyond your typical racist remarks, they were downright vile. :(

Dead Man

Sutton Dagger said:
Oh man, now I'm depressed... I searched for a thread I commented in yesterday and came across a thread about the Stolen Generation Apology from a few years back...Holy shit some of the comments were beyond your typical racist remarks, they were downright vile. :(
I missed that one... happily by the sounds of it.

jambo said:
Haha, todays SMBC was great as well

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110726.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110726after.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
And that is why I am having sons!!

Yagharek

Hey AUS gaf, anyone been to meekatharra before? Anyone know what there is to do here? I have 7 weeks to fill and only one book in the ASOIAF series...

hamchan

RandomVince said:
Hey AUS gaf, anyone been to meekatharra before? Anyone know what there is to do here? I have 7 weeks to fill and only one book in the ASOIAF series...

Never heard of it. Wiki says it's a small town in the middle of Western Australia with a population of 798 at the 2006 census. So yeah..... Go buy the other books in ASOIAF series lol.

Yagharek

Jintor said:
Do you at least have internet?

No, I am posting via carrier pigeon. :p

Seems like there are a few bushwalks and lots of wildflowers around, but I'm limited by my car as to how far I can roam (no 4wd). Game of thrones starts off nicely though.

Oh and there were reports of a dude with a sword running amok last night. Sounds more like a prank call made under the influence going by the lack of rogue limbs around this morning.

Dead Man

Jintor said:
Do you at least have internet?
Given that the question was in the present tense and it was on GAF, I would say... maybe?

Edit: Fuck you Vince, just fuck you. No more reading multiple tabs for me, shit makes you look bad.

Rahk

hamchan said:
Never heard of it. Wiki says it's a small town in the middle of Western Australia with a population of 798 at the 2006 census. So yeah..... Go buy the other books in ASOIAF series lol.
Other books? The first one is a new release over there.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Video Game - Mafia 2

Over the weekend I finished up Mafia 2 which I picked up over the steam summer sales for $7.50 and it was totally worth it.

The game still suffers the standard flaws in a typical sandbox game, It had some really nice touches that I would love to see expanded upon in say GTA5 or Mafia 3. People in the car bitching at you if you go over the speed limit, drive through a red light, cops giving you a fine instead of throwing you in jail for an accident.

I loved that shit, It made the world feel more believable. It's probably the only game in recent memory where I actually tried to park my car correctly and sometimes stopped at red lights.

Game play wise it was stock standard with the damage being the aspect that made it different to previous sandbox titles aside from the setting!. Getting shot only a few times resulted in death which made some situations frustrating as all fuck since the game felt broken and some were nerve racking as you tried to survive. Some missions made me want to throw my keyboard across the room, Turning left in your car at the beginning of a mission would cause you to die but turning right made you survive the gun fire coming from the car behind. Wat.

It was also super linear, There felt like there was nothing else to do but progress through the main story. Stealing cars and robbing stores had no purpose at all since you were making $$$ while everything else costs 17 fucking cents. As usual the money side of things was broken, No title seems to have gotten that right yet, maybe one day.

I also had the uncanny ability of finding a sweet ride only to upgrade it then use it on the next mission which would claim it didn't have enough seats or I would end up taking someone else's vehicle. Car lost forever.

If you can pick it up for cheap and want a 10ish hour game then do it. The music was awesome along with the setting. Strolling around in a sweet looking suit and a fancy hat made me feel like a boss. The adverts were a nice touch on the radio, Credit cards, Who the fuck would use those. Oh wait.

I don't do reviews often, but when I do, I do them poorly.

0 / 5 cookies because I still need to hate every video game I play, For AusGAF appearances anyway :D

Jintor

Dead Man said:
Given that the question was in the present tense and it was on GAF, I would say... maybe?

Edit: Fuck you Vince, just fuck you. No more reading multiple tabs for me, shit makes you look bad.

Oh, I missed the bit where he said he was already there, lol

Top Bottom