• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

I saw the WDTV Live for $108 at Office Works

I've been looking for something for my parents to replace their HTPC and I find the Astone AP interface a little crappy. It's ok for me using it, but I can see my parents getting lost really easily and having to call me.

Are there firmware updates to let the WDTV Live play newer encoding formats Shaneus? I had to update the Astone a couple of times to get it to play certain files, would suck if the WDTV Live was stuck not being able to play some stuff.

Shaneus

jambo said:

I've been looking for something for my parents to replace their HTPC and I find the Astone AP interface a little crappy. It's ok for me using it, but I can see my parents getting lost really easily and having to call me.

Are there firmware updates to let the WDTV Live play newer encoding formats Shaneus? I had to update the Astone a couple of times to get it to play certain files, would suck if the WDTV Live was stuck not being able to play some stuff.
The compatibility is far better than with the Astone. There are some AVIs I've thrown at it that it refuses to play, but I'm pretty sure they're using a really outdated codec. The frontend is clean and very parent-proof. Snappy, too.

Also, if they're using a digital decoder, they wouldn't need to swap outputs from SPDIF to Linear PCM like you have to do with the Astone, it's all automatic (if that makes sense. If not, don't worry).

Fusebox

Banned
bodyboarder said:
I'm having a problem AusGAF (PC division).

Am wanting to get a htpc and have my eyes set on a hp microserver n36l, however I've done the sums and its about $320 to get it up and running nicely. Though for a little bit over double I could get gaming/htpc computer.

What should I do.

Have you got a PS3?

Shaneus said:
The compatibility is far better than with the Astone. There are some AVIs I've thrown at it that it refuses to play, but I'm pretty sure they're using a really outdated codec. The frontend is clean and very parent-proof. Snappy, too.

Also, if they're using a digital decoder, they wouldn't need to swap outputs from SPDIF to Linear PCM like you have to do with the Astone, it's all automatic (if that makes sense. If not, don't worry).

Any advantage for me using one of these over a laptop with XBMC setup?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BZPmy.jpg

Choc

Banned
Could the US hurry the fuck up and sort its shit out

fuck sake, its not hard. If you don't do this, then your country will implode

if you do, it won't

end of story

jambo said:
Buy a WD Live or Astone Media Gear

$100-$150 and they play everything.

Yeah already have an astone (also have a ps3.), great little player. I like it, but was basically after a raid solution+ for use with the astone. And as a decent 4-5 bay raid setup like a qnap etc is around the $400 mark, I figured for a little more I'd look into a fully fledged pc.

Omikron

Choc said:
Could the US hurry the fuck up and sort its shit out

fuck sake, its not hard. If you don't do this, then your country will implode

if you do, it won't

end of story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/27/us-debt-crisis-republicans-democrats

I find this point pretty depressing from the republicans

Social welfare

Democrats: Opposed to deep cuts in key social welfare programmes, especially social security payments and healthcare

Republicans: Willing to include aggresive cuts and revisions to social welfare programmes as part of long-term savings

Basically, fuck the little guy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Choc really likes politics huh.

I'm currently waiting for the Samsung dudes to get here and take away my shitty LCD for its third repair. I've had it switched on for the last two hours, and the issue I reported is nowhere to be seen. In fact, its performing better than it has at any point in the last month.

Awesome.

EatChildren said:

I'm currently waiting for the Samsung dudes to get here and take away my shitty LCD for its third repair. I've had it switched on for the last two hours, and the issue I reported is nowhere to be seen. In fact, its performing better than it has at any point in the last month.

Awesome.

That's always the case. Do they take it regardless, or check it out before taking it to get repaired.

is it a tv?

EatChildren said:

Awesome.

Love when that happens. :/

So.. travel insurance.. I'm thinking QBE's elements travel plan. Any thoughts?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bodyboarder said:
That's always the case. Do they take it regardless, or check it out before taking it to get repaired.

is it a tv?

Yeah, LCD TV still on the three years warranty before Samsung changed it to one year. It stuffed up within the first six months of purchase, and I had to have them repair it twice as the first time they didn't do anything. This time its a different problem.

They should take it. I hope :/.

Choc

Banned
i find politics interesting

the US has discovered why having high income earners paying the same taxes as low income earners is a bad idea in a very big way

Waikis

jambo said:

Just to let you know, WDTV live cant mix 5.1 signal to 2.1, so you gonna have to pass it through an amplifier if you want to watch 5.1 movies.

If UI is what you want, you can try looking for network media tank and install your own theme/jukebox. Here's what I did for my parents:
1233dlpk5.png

Shaneus

Marshmellow said:
lol, can you explain please.

I was reading product specs etc but i cant really tell how it would benefit my setup.
It's basically a box that you connect to your network or hook a USB drive up to and play media with. It can connect to your TV with HDMI or component.

I can't tell you how it would fit in your setup, but I can say that it's insanely convenient.

Waikis said:
Just to let you know, WDTV live cant mix 5.1 signal to 2.1, so you gonna have to pass it through an amplifier if you want to watch 5.1 movies.
Pretty sure it can. Not 100% sure, though.

ManeKast

roosters93 said:
Love when that happens. :/

That plan is good if you plan to drive a vehicle and have an international dirvers licence etc. I use it for Thailand and Sumatra to ride. Never had to claim though.

Omikron

EatChildren said:
Yeah, LCD TV still on the three years warranty before Samsung changed it to one year. It stuffed up within the first six months of purchase, and I had to have them repair it twice as the first time they didn't do anything. This time its a different problem.

They should take it. I hope :/.

When my Samsung LCD tuner died in the arse, they came around, looked at it, said it was the tuner, left us the TV so we could still use it to some extent, and brought around and fitted the new parts when they arrived. Overall I was pretty happy with their service. :)

Fredescu

I always hear bad things about Samsung warranty claims and customer service and such. I'm actually considering an LG for my next TV, even though they aren't considered as good as the other brands. I had a problem with my LG monitor and was able to drop it ten minutes down the road and pick it up again when it was fixed. Very painless.

ManeKast said:
That plan is good if you plan to drive a vehicle and have an international dirvers licence etc. I use it for Thailand and Sumatra to ride. Never had to claim though.

That'd be nice, but I'm just a backpacking gap year dude, can't afford it. :/
I'll be catching the bus and train everywhere heh

Shaneus said:
It's basically a box that you connect to your network or hook a USB drive up to and play media with. It can connect to your TV with HDMI or component.

I can't tell you how it would fit in your setup, but I can say that it's insanely convenient.

Pretty sure it can.

Ahh right. yea sounds like my setup would be fine without it. have amp/sound system with laptop and xbmc setup over the network. all hdmi etc.

Cheers anyway

Waikis

Shaneus said:

Whoops, you're right, it's the original wdtv that cant downmix.

roosters93 said:
QBE are pretty comprehensive but a bit more expensive than the cheaper guys (e.g. CoverMore).

If you have a back problem they won't insure for any problems stemming from that (or if they don't, they will start doing that soon).

Seriously Marshmellow, look into a Boxee.

jambo

Shaneus said:

My parents have a PoS amp at the moment that can't take HDMI/optical inputs, so until they buy a new one later this year downmixing to stereo is required.

Hopefully it works!

EatChildren

Omi said:
When my Samsung LCD tuner died in the arse, they came around, looked at it, said it was the tuner, left us the TV so we could still use it to some extent, and brought around and fitted the new parts when they arrived. Overall I was pretty happy with their service. :)

Hopefully today is different. I recall them doing the same thing with one of my earlier repairs. I suspect the issue at the moment is a dying power supply, as I've heard they arn't too reliable in Samsungs. If they can replace that on the spot, I'd be happy.

kase23

Marshmellow said:
no, im key begging atm. lol

site isnt working at all.

pretty sure we are excluded.
My mate got in, were not excluded but the alpha servers are all hosted in the Uk and US anyway

ManeKast

EatChildren said:
Hopefully today is different. I recall them doing the same thing with one of my earlier repairs. I suspect the issue at the moment is a dying power supply, as I've heard they arn't too reliable in Samsungs. If they can replace that on the spot, I'd be happy.
Least you have repair centers locally that come to your place. None of them do this in regional NSW, means I have had to cart the 40' in my car a few times now.

Gazunta

I tried Bastion last night after hearing so many positive recommendations and liking the art style.

Good GOD I hate the voice over voice :(

I guess I was hoping for something charming and whimsical, not movie trailer guy.

From Dust comes out tonight! YEEEEAH

Gazunta said:
I tried Bastion last night after hearing so many positive recommendations and liking the art style.

Good GOD I hate the voice over voice :(

I guess I was hoping for something charming and whimsical, not movie trailer guy.

From Dust comes out tonight! YEEEEAH

Just watched trailer because you made me fear.....
I think i will be ok with his voice, agreed it is not great but i can deal with it.

Watched a preview for From Dust the other day, despite like 99% positive reviews i think i would be bored after like 5 minutes. personal taste i suppose.

Can any of these little devices stream 1080p content without slowdown?

Also I don't know what's wrong with me but i can't get into any games at the moment? I think I just have too many to play that I can't focus on one at a time.

Top Bottom