• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

Should be $199, but $249 is still a massive drop. When do we get the 20 free games?

Also when do we get our Zelda soundtrack CDs?

hamchan said:
Fellow Aussie 3DS owners, who hates Nintendo right now?

*raises hand*

Not particularly.

I got the Dick Smith launch deal, so I only paid around the new price anyway, and the free download games they're going to be offering sound like decent compensation.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
3DS at $249? Still too much for a system with nothing on it.

What that means to ausgaf is that it's an outstanding system with great content and potential, you would be crazy not to buy it.

elfinke

Holy crap at that bomba announcement. If I can import one for ~$200 with OoT I'll bite, shitty region locking and all (though how does Nintendo warranty work?)

jambo

Yeah I'm not particularly annoyed about how much I paid for it when I'll be getting 20 free games and getting the DSE deal in the first place.

Rezbit

jambo said:
Yeah I'm not particularly annoyed about how much I paid for it when I'll be getting 20 free games and getting the DSE deal in the first place.

Rezbit should learn to use the analytical skills he paid $20,000 for at uni and read the whole article before commenting.

But seriously yeah I don't feel so annoyed now. Metroid Fusion and Yoshi's Island for free? Worth it.

So taking away the cost of Rayman and a conservative estimate of the value of the free games, my 3DS cost me less than my original phat DS. Can't really complain about that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fusion is a lot of fun and has awesome atmosphere, but its a good contender for my least favourite Metroid (Hunters excluded as it wins by default).

Clipper

They might have Metroid as one of the NES games, which would explain lack of Zero Mission. I guess we'll see towards the end of the year, though.

I think it's almost certain that Kid Icarus will be one of the NES ones, though.

Jintor

I'm fine with it. I knew this shit would happen when I went out on launch day to get one, but I still went and did it, didn't I?

hamchan

Don't think anyone expected it after only 6 months though.

Also hooray for Super Mario Advance 3. Game was fucking hard to 100%.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nintendo usually doesn't drop prices on hardware so quickly, Right?

This seems to be a super quick drop for them and you get a bunch of free games. Maybe the 3DS isn't do as well as they had hoped.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
evlcookie said:
Nintendo usually doesn't drop prices on hardware so quickly, Right?

If I recall correctly the N64 price dropped like a stone in water shortly after the Australian launch. But as Jintor pointed out, its because the Q1 reports are terrible.

Dead Man

Why do people get angry when the price of something they bought is dropped? It's not like you didn't think it was worth it. I can understand when someone is hanging for a sale, then buys, and it goes on sale the next day, but there seems to be so much angst when someone chops the price. I blame America.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:
If I recall correctly the N64 price dropped like a stone in water shortly after the Australian launch. But as Jintor pointed out, its because the Q1 reports are terrible.

The Xbox also dropped like $300 before it's first Xmas here in Australia. That basically killed what ever little chance the GameCube had here.

Yagharek

So now I'm in the middle of nowhere, 500km from WiFi, do I miss out on my free 3ds games? Or if I've already connected it online a fortnight ago am I all good? Otherwise I'm going to have to post my 3ds to Perth for my wife to hook it up to WiFi.

EatChildren

VOOK said:
The Xbox also dropped like $300 before it's first Xmas here in Australia. That basically killed what ever little chance the GameCube had here.

Was it Harvey Norman who ended up not stocking Nintendo games full.stop because of poor sales?

VOOK said:
Man I was pissed when that happened. But then I got a heap of free junk from Microsoft because of it, so that pretty well made up for it.

Clipper

RandomVince said:
So now I'm in the middle of nowhere, 500km from WiFi, do I miss out on my free 3ds games? Or if I've already connected it online a fortnight ago am I all good? Otherwise I'm going to have to post my 3ds to Perth for my wife to hook it up to WiFi.
You should almost certainly be good. It would be pretty dodgy if only those that accessed the eShop within this fortnight qualified.

Do you have a PC or laptop with a WiFi card? If so you could also use Connectify to share whatever Internet connection you do have with your 3DS to be absolutely sure.

EatChildren said:
Was it Harvey Norman who ended up not stocking Nintendo games full.stop because of poor sales?
Yep, and then Nintendo restricted their access to the DS and Wii products as payback.

Yagharek

Clipper said:
You should almost certainly be good. It would be pretty dodgy if only those that accessed the eShop within this fortnight qualified.

Do you have a PC or laptop with a WiFi card? If so you could also use Connectify to share whatever Internet connection you do have with your 3DS to be sure

I do have access to a wired connection, and a MacBook. Connectify is news to me. I'll see if it works. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
edit. I think I just said something very stupid.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It was Harvey Norman, they didn't stock stuff from 2004 until 2006 and just before the Wii launch.

It was due to 'trading terms' apparently, the fact that it bombed happened after the fact.

Kerrby

Banned
Hamish and Andy bombed hard, stalling for time in the first 2 minutes and I don't even think they know where they're going with their TV show.

markot

Banned
Kerrby said:
Hamish and Andy bombed hard, stalling for time in the first 2 minutes and I don't even think they know where they're going with their TV show.
Good >_< they are so unfunny they make Rove look like... funny.

Would buying a 3ds now for the freebies be insane in the membrane?

$350 +Zelda >.>

markot said:

$350 +Zelda >.>

Not if you want the system now and are interested in the stuff they're going to be giving. It pretty much makes up for the price difference.

Kerrby

Banned
markot said:

$350 +Zelda >.>

Well if you want the freebies.

You won't be able to get the GBA games on the eShop later, Nintendo said they won't be selling GBA games for some reason (which makes no sense).

Top Bottom