• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta

I went from not knowing anything about From Dust yesterday morning to me counting the minutes before I get to play it tonight.
And it's not on Partnernet damn it

The Giant Bomb quick look convinced me. Brad and I spent weeks on IRC talking about our obsession with Black & White back in the day. If he says it's good, it is good.

Satchel

Banned
So eStarland have shipped my copy of Mortal Kombat for PS3.

Now I wait for it to arrive. Hope it gets through.

$55.17 incl postage. Awesome. LOVING no region lock for PS3. Almost half my games are from the US.

Shaneus

Sutton Dagger said:
Can any of these little devices stream 1080p content without slowdown?
Stream from a network storage device? Sure. Only thing is (and I've noticed it on the Live and the Astone) is that when there's a LOT of colourful movement onscreen, there'll be slowdown (it's rare, but it happens). Until more powerful chipsets come out (there may be a few that can do it, but none are cheap) then the best we'll get is the Live.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yay, Mr. Samsung came. The problem still didn't show, but he was a nice enough dude to take my word for it. He suspects its a busted power supply, probably a leaking capacitor, which is what I suspected as well, but put in a request for both a new power supply and a mainboard incase the former fails to fix the problem, and to prevent me the trouble of having to go through the whole process again.

Good stuff. Now for some stout.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My book finally turned up, guess I will check that out on the way home.

It also seems like my weekend is played, evo and the gsl finals. Instead of playing games I will be watching people play them instead.

Also must remember to idle in tf2 for hats! Guess that's sorta playing games.

What website am I meant to be trying for a bf3 key? Guess I missed the announcement and fun.

Shaneus said:
Stream from a network storage device? Sure. Only thing is (and I've noticed it on the Live and the Astone) is that when there's a LOT of colourful movement onscreen, there'll be slowdown (it's rare, but it happens). Until more powerful chipsets come out (there may be a few that can do it, but none are cheap) then the best we'll get is the Live.

I was more thinking along the lines of, stream from my computer, letting the computer do all the heavy work and one of those devices just simply accepting the video output? Do any of them work that way?

Dead Man

Gazunta said:
I went from not knowing anything about From Dust yesterday morning to me counting the minutes before I get to play it tonight.
And it's not on Partnernet damn it

The Giant Bomb quick look convinced me. Brad and I spent weeks on IRC talking about our obsession with Black & White back in the day. If he says it's good, it is good.
I hadn't even heard of it, but it looks cool as fuck.

Edit: Eric Chahi? Hype +100

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well I lasted a while, but I have finally cracked and bought something. New M950 mouse ($50). :(

Shaneus

Sutton Dagger said:
I was more thinking along the lines of, stream from my computer, letting the computer do all the heavy work and one of those devices just simply accepting the video output? Do any of them work that way?
Not really, unless you use your PC to transcode from one format to the other, but even then the little box is still doing *some* work. Your best option in that regard would be to get a video card with a HDMI out, a really long cable and a remote ;)

PS. From Dust is made by the guy who did Another World. Not sure if Gaz or Dead Man knew that, but it's handy information nonetheless.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Not really, unless you use your PC to transcode from one format to the other, but even then the little box is still doing *some* work. Your best option in that regard would be to get a video card with a HDMI out, a really long cable and a remote ;)

PS. From Dust is made by the guy who did Another World. Not sure if Gaz or Dead Man knew that, but it's handy information nonetheless.
Yep, just found out, thanks for the tip though. Another World was one of the defining moments of my childhood.

Planet_JASE said:
Player has acquired Pillow Case of +1 AFP Interest

Speaking of the AFP... didn't someone ITT know the guy who posted that comment about assassinating Gillard on a Herald Sun article? Apparently the AFP are "assessing" it.

Fusebox

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:

Don't any of you people have PS3s? PS3 Media Server + half decent PC makes for an awesome HT solution.

rass

I have a Dell/windows problem that one of you might know a solution to…

• My GF has a dell laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
• I have a 3-pack of Windows 7 professional 64-bit.
• When i put the win7 disk in her comp it gives me an error and says it's the wrong version.

Is there a way for us to install the 64-bit win7 on her laptop? Don't want her to keep using Vista, but don't want to buy another copy of win7. When she got the laptop she had the option of getting 32 or 64 bit OS iirc.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
Oh man, now I have looked into it for the first time and need to buy it :/

Will wait for the PSN release, though (no 360, lol).

Sutton Dagger said:
Can any of these little devices stream 1080p content without slowdown?

Also I don't know what's wrong with me but i can't get into any games at the moment? I think I just have too many to play that I can't focus on one at a time.
Boxee can. Reportedly over wireless but I don't have one so can't confirm. Feeling like an unlistened-to broken record.

Gazunta

From Dust is tonight sometime I think. I have a sneaking suspicion I won't have time to play it until the weekend. *shakes fist at cloud*

Fogz

QL for From Dust got me excited for it! Waiting for the PC version though, Brad even said on the bombcast that it would control better with a mouse.

But delay! :(

Choc

Banned
Talkback radio host Alan Jones has told political group GetUp to "get stuffed" as it pursues a complaint against him with the broadcasting watchdog.

I heard it with my own ears on media watch alan. You FUCKING SAID IT.

i expect media watch to go to fucking town on him this week. He is a grub.

rass said:
I have a Dell/windows problem that one of you might know a solution to…

• My GF has a dell laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
• I have a 3-pack of Windows 7 professional 64-bit.
• When i put the win7 disk in her comp it gives me an error and says it's the wrong version.

Is there a way for us to install the 64-bit win7 on her laptop? Don't want her to keep using Vista, but don't want to buy another copy of win7. When she got the laptop she had the option of getting 32 or 64 bit OS iirc.
Is it because it's trying to upgrade a 32bit version with a 64bit OS (which it can't do, right?)? Are you trying an upgrade or clean install?

Agyar

Gazunta said:
From Dust is tonight sometime I think. I have a sneaking suspicion I won't have time to play it until the weekend. *shakes fist at cloud*

It was out on XBLA this morning, I downloaded the trial while eating breakfast. Have now bought and played through the first few levels (tutorial stuff, mostly) and it's really good. Between it and Bastion, I continue to be incredibly impressed with the increasing quality of downloadable titles.

rass

Planet_JASE said:
Is it because it's trying to upgrade a 32bit version with a 64bit OS (which it can't do, right?)? Are you trying an upgrade or clean install?
not sure, we want to do a clean install but the setup.exe just returns an error. I have pretty limited experience with PCs outside of using them. Could I boot from the disk and install it that way? Everything of importance is backed up

rass said:
not sure, we want to do a clean install but the setup.exe just returns an error. I have pretty limited experience with PCs outside of using them. Could I boot from the disk and install it that way? Everything of importance is backed up
Yes, boot from the disc. If you're putting it in and hoping to upgrade that way, it probably won't work (or will but not very well).

they've had negative gearing for a loooooong time. But yeah, it probably plays a part.

Saw Captain America at the flicks today. It is a good movie.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
My book finally turned up, guess I will check that out on the way home.

It also seems like my weekend is played, evo and the gsl finals. Instead of playing games I will be watching people play them instead.

Also must remember to idle in tf2 for hats! Guess that's sorta playing games.

What website am I meant to be trying for a bf3 key? Guess I missed the announcement and fun.

i don't want to alarm you evl, but MLG is on too...

codswallop said:
Boxee can. Reportedly over wireless but I don't have one so can't confirm. Feeling like an unlistened-to broken record.

Will look into it, thanks cods. I already have a PS3 but when I tried to set up PS3media server it wasn't working too well. I just want something nice and easy with a nice interface that can do 1080p via streaming from a computer.

Omikron

Choc said:
Talkback radio host Alan Jones has told political group GetUp to "get stuffed" as it pursues a complaint against him with the broadcasting watchdog.

I heard it with my own ears on media watch alan. You FUCKING SAID IT.

i expect media watch to go to fucking town on him this week. He is a grub.

Not sure, I am thinking they might have a crack at some of the reporting of the whole Norway thing this week.

They have lined up Jones on numerous occasions in the last few weeks.

rass said:
I'd never heard of From Dust until you all started talking about it, looks sick. I'll wait for a pc version though

Coming to Steam in a couple weeks by the looks.

rass

timetable preference changes opens up in half an hour. I'll see my presumably terrible uni timetable for the first time haha. Here's hoping for all my classes loaded up on 3 days so I get 4 days off (like a boss)

legend166

GetUp vs Alan Jones.

Whoever wins, we lose. Jones is worse, because he seems to actually have an audience and GetUp is irrelevant, but they are so annoying.

Clipper

Choc said:
also clip you will be waiting a while, its part of summer of arcade so a 12 month console exclusive
Have you got some source for this? I know the Summer of Arcade titles typically have an exclusivity deal tied to them but I've never heard of this 12 month limit. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was only exclusive for a month and a half and it was an SoA title last year. Apparently it was announced for mid-2011 on PSN, so I'll expect it around September maybe.

Edit: OK... Of the 2009 and 2010 SoA titles, MvC2 had a fortnight delay, Lara Croft and TMNT Reshelled had month delays, Limbo had a year and it seems Castlevania may come out after about a year too. No proof there, I'd say.

Shaneus

Sutton Dagger said:
Will look into it, thanks cods. I already have a PS3 but when I tried to set up PS3media server it wasn't working too well. I just want something nice and easy with a nice interface that can do 1080p via streaming from a computer.
WDTV Live is your cheapest and best bet, by far. If you have a NAS it's even better because you can turn your PC off completely and just let the media player do all the work.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
GetUp vs Alan Jones.

Whoever wins, we lose. Jones is worse, because he seems to actually have an audience and GetUp is irrelevant, but they are so annoying.
Pre-jaded old me got himself on mailing lists for GetUp and the Wilderness Society (organisations I hold zero stock in) and I still get their mail. I think politics, emotion and science are discrete entities that should be kept separate yet these political groups do a wonderful job of smooshing the lines between all three. Politics are for naive undergraduates and retirees; emotions are for softcocks and women; and science is for men who have rad beards, eat steak dinners four times a week and can benchpress their own weight.

Oh, and I've learned that wearing my company-branded polo to work (a known fossil fuel polluter) is kryptonite against the Wilderness/Pedestrian Harassment society volunteers who work on Adelaide Street and I can walk through the city completely uninterrupted.

Gazunta

Oh that's GENIUS. I should definitely get one of those shirts.

The Fitness First hawkers in the Valley have given up on handing me flyers now. I must be a lost cause :p

Sutton Dagger said:
Will look into it, thanks cods..
If you've got a Windows, Mac or Linux box, you can install Boxee free (www.boxee.tv) on top of that to see if you like the interface. If you do, you can either just leave it on the computer you install it on, or buy a Boxee which is a dedicated hardware box just for Boxee. Comes with HDMI everything and a remote.

The boxes the other guys might've been suggesting are OK, but Boxee (and XBMC, which it's a fork of) have great user interfaces, which store things by season as well as flagging what you've watched. They're a nicer interface overall, and much better than most hardware players I've seen.

Alternatively there's the Apple TV (not 1080p though) and Roku (are they available in Australia?) which have just rolled out updated hardware.

Personally, I have a dedicated HTPC running Windows 7 with XBMC on top of it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
i don't want to alarm you evl, but MLG is on too...
Well fuck.

I'm trying to read book #2 on the train but I'm struggling to stay awake as I read. The text is also super small compared to the original, that doesn't help.

Top Bottom