• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Yagharek

Choc said:
if you need a physical keyboard, blackberry all the way.

I have gone from BB to iphone to bb to android to bb to wp7

i always end up with blackberry, the email integration is top notch and the physical keyboard just is the bets

Did you type this on a bb out of interest? :D

In all seriousness what I tried of a bb was good (the trackpad was nifty) but I just didnt get any hands on time with the OS due to them being puk-ed. Choc, if you could provide some detailed reasons as to why you like them it would really help me out for when I next get to visit a shop :)

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Go in the morning before the scum wake up from their nightly Bundy can hangover. My gf got a Samsung Galaxy 551 and I have been enjoying it more every day. The keyboard is really handy for internet stuff.

I have heard great things about the new SGS (2?) and the new HTC set whose name escapes me. I'm not completely averse to these phones but at the same time I dont want to get one and have it made redundant/outdated because of the moving target window for apps on them. I get the vague (hopefully correct) impression that blackberry sets have a longer lifespan since they arent beholden to a 2 year update cycle so much as an iphone.

eg one of my concerns with getting on the ip4 wagon is the need to update it whenever new apps for it are unsupported as per ip3 owners and newer ios4 software.

To be honest all Im really after is a damn good phone, and sets with reception issues (ip4 notorious for this) in the middle of the great northern highway in WA is not going to be ideal.

Ive heard that blackberrys are rated for better reception in general (although this may be a network issue Im none too familiar with - 3G/GSM/H-something or other etc all confuses me as I never paid attention to it when it became the tech fad of the new phones-as-computers generation). Athough I have heard from some that the HTC sets have good reception.

In any case I am an open receptacle for AusGAF information. <3

Choc said:
im not going to argue that iphone and android are not better because that would be dumb.

but the OS6 BB's (9780 and Torch) have a webkit browser which is faster

also web browsing (aside from streaming) on the blackberry is free.

Just get what you think is right, pros and cons to all

but i get that you dont like touch because i dont either.

Safari is the original Webkit browser but the way you're saying it sounds to me like you don't realise iPhones use a webkit browser also? Or when you say it's faster are you talking about how it's a vast improvement over the old Blackberry browser?

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
Safari is the original Webkit browser but the way you're saying it sounds to me like you don't realise iPhones use a webkit browser also? Or when you say it's faster are you talking about how it's a vast improvement over the old Blackberry browser?

no i know the iphone has that :) my point was bb now has a webkit browser and the old one was the biggest piece of shit on earth

i will post more about why i like BB later tonight :)

legend166

I really like my Samsung Galaxy S.

I don't get the Android security issues. Unless you're one of those crazy people that downloads dodgy looking things, you're fine.

Clipper

Dead Man said:
So... I have decided I need to actually start using more than 1 or 2 passwords at a time, but my memory is like a sieve these days so I think I need a pw manager. I've been looking at lastpass, anyone here use it or anything like it?
One way to have multiple passwords without a password manager is to have one password, but suffix it in a manner that is easily reproducable from the site name, but not easy to detect what you are doing. Perhaps add a rot1 suffix of the last three characters of the site name or something, so your Neogaf password would be passwordhbg and Gmail password would be passwordbjm.

Note that this won't protect you from someone actually attacking you specifically, unless you can encrypt the extra characters very cleverly. It will fool any of these mass password dumps as nobody is going to bother trying to figure out how you derived the one password they did get into your other passwords.

RandomVince said:
one of my concerns with getting on the ip4 wagon is the need to update it whenever new apps for it are unsupported as per ip3 owners and newer ios4 software.
The Galaxy 551 has great reception where we are, she has 4 bars while I drop in between none and one with my old phone. There is probably a site that details which phones have better reception somewhere. Also you say you don't care about the apps but are worried that your apps would get outdated? I don't think that would be a problem anyway.

Bernbaum

Clipper said:
One way to have multiple passwords without a password manager is to have one password, but suffix it in a manner that is easily reproducable from the site name, but not easy to detect what you are doing. Perhaps add a rot1 suffix of the last three characters of the site name or something, so your Neogaf password would be passwordhbg and Gmail password would be passwordbjm.

Note that this won't protect you from someone actually attacking you specifically, unless you can encrypt the extra characters very cleverly. It will fool any of these mass password dumps as nobody is going to bother trying to figure out how you derived the one password they did get into your other passwords.
Genius.

Guys, I'm trying to get this clip from ABC24 converted and uploaded but damned if I'm having any luck converting from DVR-MS format to, well, anything. Will keep plugging away.

Yagharek

Thats a fair point I guess. Thing is Im not going to deny that if I grabbed a smartphone then it would make sense to get said apps on the occasion that I found useful ones. If you get something you may as well use it, right?

I just personally dont see any need to have one of them myself, at this point in time. None of them really jump out at me as being 'must have' devices and I realise thats going against the grain, but its not just to be 'counter-culture' as it may seem.

I have the impression that blackberrys are more robust phones than most, so finding out what I can about them (or similar devices) is something I need to do for when I get back home in a month. The Samsung 551 sounds like it might be worth checking out at least, I have heard good things about samsung's phones in general. :)

legend166 said:
I really like my Samsung Galaxy S.

I don't get the Android security issues. Unless you're one of those crazy people that downloads dodgy looking things, you're fine.

The Samsung Galaxy S II is looking very nice.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
I just personally dont see any need to have one of them myself, at this point in time. None of them really jump out at me as being 'must have' devices
I have a HTC Desire, and the only vaguely smart phoney thing I use it for is browsing the web. For that, it's awesome. Forget about all the rubbish apps and games if you don't need them. If 'must' browse the web on your phone, these devices are absolutely 'must have'. Everything else is a compromise.

RandomVince said:
Thats a fair point I guess. Thing is Im not going to deny that if I grabbed a smartphone then it would make sense to get said apps on the occasion that I found useful ones. If you get something you may as well use it, right?

I just personally dont see any need to have one of them myself, at this point in time. None of them really jump out at me as being 'must have' devices and I realise thats going against the grain, but its not just to be 'counter-culture' as it may seem.

I have the impression that blackberrys are more robust phones than most, so finding out what I can about them (or similar devices) is something I need to do for when I get back home in a month. The Samsung 551 sounds like it might be worth checking out at least, I have heard good things about samsung's phones in general. :)
The most important thing is to get a bunch of phones in your hands, everyone has different tastes. Also remember that phones become outdated even quicker than graphics cards, companies are always pushing a little more every time. The apps seem to be pushed less on Android, you have to go and find them yourself. iOS gaming is much bigger and BB obviously have their own thing going on too. WP7 looks cool but I haven't spent any time with them.
Grab every phone you can find, your co-worker your family your friends. Try them all out and see if it is something you can put up with for 2 years until you get your next 'free' phone. Try to play with a Blackberry at Telstra and even more importantly ask what phones they have. Worked well for me with my last 2 phones (the w810i which is still my favourite, and the Samsung F480 which is showing its age).

Dead Man

Clipper said:

That's... that's brilliant. I don't think my feeble intellect would be capable of managing it though. But I'll give it a try, I think.

Yagharek

Thanks for the tips so far (esp reptilescorpio), much appreciated.

When I get to, the bb torch and samsung 551 will be two of the first phones I try out - both have keypads and some semblance of touchscreen use which is very handy for some functions (I cant rail against touchscreen as a nintendo nuthugger).

BB torch seems great from what Ive read, but also expensive. Great coverage allegedly. But yeah, going to have to try and wrangle some hands-on time with a few of those.

Many more pieces of advice welcome.

Danoss

On the phone topic, I had a Nexus S delivered this morning from the US (I wanted the SAMOLED screen). I'm so glad to be rid of iOS. I totally loaded music and apps onto my phone without the use of any software apart from the web and file browser on my PC. Feels good man.

The phone is gorgeous and snappy, I wish I made the jump sooner.

If you want to take a look at/play with one, Vodafone now has them in store. There are numerous other places to buy them from, should you be so inclined.

RandomVince said:
Thanks for the tips so far (esp reptilescorpio), much appreciated.

When I get to, the bb torch and samsung 551 will be two of the first phones I try out - both have keypads and some semblance of touchscreen use which is very handy for some functions (I cant rail against touchscreen as a nintendo nuthugger).

BB torch seems great from what Ive read, but also expensive. Great coverage allegedly. But yeah, going to have to try and wrangle some hands-on time with a few of those.

Many more pieces of advice welcome.
One strange thing is when my gf renewed with Telstra for the 551 she got on the $49 cap with the phone while now on the website it says it is on the $59 cap with less desirable phones on the cheaper cap. She renewed at the start of March so maybe they were running a special deal? Might be another thing to keep in mind. Or maybe the online store is just more expensive than in-store. Bottom line is she gets a boatload more for her $49 than I do on my old cap. :(
(also have to pay $10 a month for 150mb of data! And it was only 100mb until a few months ago! She gets a gig and a half. Caps get better and better quickly)

Danoss

Choc said:
nexus S was also just addec to vodafone 29 dollar plans as well
$0 too, which is incredible. It's a great buy, if only it wasn't on a sub-par network.

I refused to be locked into a plan ever again, I now buy my phones outright. Telstra pre-paid is such good value now, it's a pretty good option I think.

Dead Man

Choc said:
nexus S was also just addec to vodafone 29 dollar plans as well
Do not get a phone on Vodafone. I have a HTC with them, love the phone, but their network is so so so so so so so so shit I can't even find words for it beyond stuttering digitally.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Optus and they've been generally fantastic.

Telstra have great coverage, helpful customer service, great package deals for families and their slightly worse value-for-money plans are up front with why they are less attractive than competitors who offer more credit at a lower price. I'm usually a few days late paying bills because I forget where I have them laying around but have never got a fee or had my phone disconnected. Virgin refused to give me a contract 3 years ago because I worked casually, not under contract. Telstra gave me a new plan without even checking my income situation. Never touched their internet site though, always contacted them in person, in store so I don't know about their phone/net customer service.

Dead Man

reptilescorpio said:
Telstra have great coverage, helpful customer service, great package deals for families and their slightly worse value-for-money plans are up front with why they are less attractive than competitors who offer more credit at a lower price. I'm usually a few days late paying bills because I forget where I have them laying around but have never got a fee or had my phone disconnected. Virgin refused to give me a contract 3 years ago because I worked casually, not under contract. Telstra gave me a new plan without even checking my income situation. Never touched their internet site though, always contacted them in person, in store so I don't know about their phone/net customer service.
Vodafone CS has been great, and I have been 2 months late paying my bill with no repercussions, it's just their coverage that is so appallingly bad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, similar deal here for Optus.

Accidentally ran up my data using Internet tethering when I moved into my new place and the customer service was generally fantastic. They credited my account, effectively dropped the charge, extended my payment deadline out an extra two weeks and never give me any shit for paying my bill a day or two late (not that this is a regular occurrence).

I've had similar experiences with TPG as well. And everyone always gives them shit. I mean, sure, it was an international call centre, but their tech support was still fantastic and their billing staff were totally on the ball.

jambo said:
Optus in cities is fine, it's just when you try to go out farther that it all falls to pieces.

I live hours out of Melbourne and have zero complaints of Optus. Get good speeds on 3G everywhere. Only place I couldn't get 3G was at work, and everyone had an issue there. Works fine since I got an iPhone 4 though.

Also I have never had good cake.

Bernbaum said:
Fuck cake is delicious.
Blackforest takes the cake.
blackforestn73x.jpg

Choc

Banned
its a lie!!!!

ok blackberry

pros

unbeleivable email integration. true push email controlled by rim servers. this means it does not drain your battery as the server not the phone performs the push command

good apps that use bis (bis is free internet access via RIM)

excellent physical keyboards

easy to use one handed (get mind out of gutter, when holding a bus rail for example)

they dont come ut every 2 mins and become obselete. generally one flagship model every year.

battery life shits on every other smartphone

cons

web browsing even in os6 is not so good

bis costs, most plans include bis i the cost now though

app store no where near as good as iphone/android

the specs of the phones are quite behind android. RIM focuses on security and build quality
over having a 12MP camera

dont have gigs of storage built in but you can add micro sds easily

Fredescu said:
She makes all that cool stuff, but her husband can't make a simple Youtube video. You got the sweet end of the deal cods!
Fred makes a good point. How am I supposed to go to bed tonight without seeing Mr Serrels?

Just finished playing SNES Shadowrun for the first time (as I am young and it was much too mature for a grasshopper height child). Wow. Recommend everyone grab a copy and dig in. Loved the phrase system and the world of Shadowrun is cool as hell. Since Bladerunner is my favourite film I really should have guessed that it would be up my alley but damn, I enjoyed it enough to ask my bro-in-law if he would run some Shadowrun instead of the D&D he plays every Sunday. And I think D&D is silly. I would be willing to sit with his cape wearing buddies to check this world out. Wiki also was kind enough to impart that Beam Software who made it became Krome! Does this mean Gaz made Shadowrun?! To sum up, playing Shadowrun was probably my second favourite gaming experience this year so far, only behind Portal 2. I have now finished another game from the 1001 list, feels good man.

Bernbaum

codswallop said:
Someone said cake?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2540063735_0f5bb50d0f_m.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4229098429_b726cc836d_m.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4631850354_c0b760ab7d_m.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4674275174_f2b43e233d_m.jpg[IMG]

All made by the wife.[/QUOTE]

I like you[spoiler]r wife![/spoiler]

Fredescu said:
She makes all that cool stuff, but her husband can't make a simple Youtube video. You got the sweet end of the deal cods!
Sweet end indeed. The video is uploading, hopefully Youtube's automatic checker thing won't delete it...

It says about 40 mins left.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:

I had a quick squiz this afternoon on the telstra site. Seems like you can choose any of their freedom plans for any phone, but the cheaper you go the more expensive the handset repayments. If I were pushed to get a phone right now, I would seriously consider a torch on a $59 plan, because with the handset charges included, it works out about the same as what I was paying on my shitty plan now which was $70 for a w995, and 1GB of extra data.

The only good thing about virgin mobile is free calls to other virgin mobiles (eg my wife) but poor coverage is the killer when Im away for work. And telstra plans work out to be just as cheap as their cap sizes are big enough to make up for lack of free calls.

Choc: can you expand on how bis on blackberrys can be both free and attract charges?

codswallop said:
Someone said cake?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2540063735_0f5bb50d0f_m.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4229098429_b726cc836d_m.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4631850354_c0b760ab7d_m.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4674275174_f2b43e233d_m.jpg[IMG]

All made by the wife.[/QUOTE]

Your wife's got mad skills. The train one reminds me of the cakes my dad used to make me for my birthday.

reptilescorpio said:
Just finished playing SNES Shadowrun for the first time (as I am young and it was much too mature for a grasshopper height child). Wow. Recommend everyone grab a copy and dig in.
The video rental store had this when I was a kid and I must have bought the game three times through renting it so much.

At one point I didn't rent it for ages because I got stuck, and when I called the Nintendo help line (at like $2.00 a minute)--which, at the time I considered the best job ever--they couldn't help me because the game wasn't actually released in Australia.

I picked it up again a bit later and made a run through to the end, after restarting my previous save which no one had touched in nearly a year. I absolutely loved this game.

Also: The wife is a trained pastry chef.

Yagharek

I have two copies of shadowrun, both from ebay but bought a 2nd since the first had no manual :(

Still, I shall make a move on it soonly if its that good.

Top Bottom