• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Rahk

OneMoreQuestion said:
Just noticed that accessing Steam from UQ gives me US prices...

I know where I'm going the next time there's a Steam sale :D
You can access it yourself by putting ?cc=us on the end of the URL. Doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to buy anything though.

Rahk said:
You can access it yourself by putting ?cc=us on the end of the URL. Doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to buy anything though.

I just bought Bloodlines from UQ, so I'm assuming that I can also get the New Vegas DLC for 9.99 here as well :D

Yagharek

Just confirmed that people who have already used e shop are registered for the free games. So I don't need to go hunting for WiFi in outback WA.

legend166

I can't believe it's 2011 and people are still using the exact same arguments as to why the Vita is going to be a big success as they were for the PSP in 2004. Apparently everyone is going to buy one because it will have games comparable to their console counterparts! Did everyone hide in a cave for the last 7 years and completely ignore why the DS was such a hit, and then why gaming on smartphones completely exploded?

PSP was pretty sucessful, over 65 million sold. I think people too often get caught up in who "wins" to see that even if you don't get first place it doesn't mean you are not sucessful. Look at the home consoles, sure Wii "won" but second and third place both sold over 50 million, I don't think anyone would have predicted that back in 05.

legend166

pieatorium said:
PSP was pretty sucessful, over 65 million sold. I think people too often get caught up in who "wins" to see that even if you don't get first place it doesn't mean you are not sucessful. Look at the home consoles, sure Wii "won" but second and third place both sold over 50 million, I don't think anyone would have predicted that back in 05.

I think, in the west, the PSP failed to gain traction as a software selling device. In Japan it's another story entirely.

1406993256.png

this is internode adsl2+
somehow

Shaneus

legend166 said:
I can't believe it's 2011 and people are still using the exact same arguments as to why the Vita is going to be a big success as they were for the PSP in 2004. Apparently everyone is going to buy one because it will have games comparable to their console counterparts! Did everyone hide in a cave for the last 7 years and completely ignore why the DS was such a hit, and then why gaming on smartphones completely exploded?
It's going to be a success because when they jailbreak it, it will be AWESOME.

Erethian

legend166 said:
I think, in the west, the PSP failed to gain traction as a software selling device. In Japan it's another story entirely.

Yeah, the PSP's failure was in selling software. Hardware it always did alright on, until the end years.

And now Sony's kindly listened to all those people who said, "Man, I really want to play this PSP game, but don't want to buy a PSP." when devising their software strategy for the Vita.

legend166 said:
Well there wasn't alot of support from western devs so It's somewhat understandable, the few big franchises seemed to do decently. I haven't owned a handheld since gameboy when I was a kid but I'm giving serious thought to a Vita, if it's region free like the rest of sony's stuff then importing from US or wherever I can get it cheepest sounds like a good deal.

Choc

Banned
guys ipad and iphone have done the 3DS damage, there is no doubt

There are games on the iOS devices which are $2 that are better quality than a lot of the $40-50 3DS games

Also a lot of the ios games are ports from DS and they are on $2! instead of $40

Apple cannot be underestimated in how much damage they have done to Nintendos handheld success.

The price of 3DS was Sonys PS3 599 moment, but price is not its biggest problem. Nintendo will see a jump in sales, but over the long term it will peter out again until they finally sort out their shit and get some games on it WHICH ARE NOT n64 ports.

Fogz

Shaneus said:
Anyone here able to fill me in on whether Bloodlines on Steam is censored here?

I don't think so. I've been playing it and its pretty bloody and full on.

Just make sure to install the latest fan patch :)

Jintor

Choc said:
guys ipad and iphone have done the 3DS damage, there is no doubt

There are games on the iOS devices which are $2 that are better quality than a lot of the $40-50 3DS games

Also a lot of the ios games are ports from DS and they are on $2! instead of $40

Apple cannot be underestimated in how much damage they have done to Nintendos handheld success.

The price of 3DS was Sonys PS3 599 moment, but price is not its biggest problem. Nintendo will see a jump in sales, but over the long term it will peter out again until they finally sort out their shit and get some games on it WHICH ARE NOT n64 ports.

The main thing as I see it is that smartphones have changed market expectations of products significantly and arguably for the better, although it is possible that they've swung too far in the other direction in terms of value. Some of those $2 should arguably be $10 or $20 but not say Nintendo's extreme of like $50 or $70.

Aon said:
The upload isn't great, but it certainly seems to buck the trend for people's Telstra connections.
Well I'm in regional Queensland so I'm actually pretty ecstatic about my 8ishMB download compared to what I've had to put up with over the years up here lol.

Clipper

ClivePwned said:
ok how much does amazon charge to ship a 3DS to australia? for that price I'll bite
About US$25. And any games you ship with it will add about US$2 each if you get them at the same time. And that's courier shipping, so you'd receive it late next week if you order this weekend.

Edit: Of course the 3DS at the new price won't be ready for 2 weeks, but it will arrive within 5 days of launch.

Salazar

I installed Portal 2 (from a disc) onto my brother's laptop at my house, using my wireless connection. It was the first game in his Steam account - which he already had, but hadn't used for anything.

Now he can't sign into Steam using his internet connection.

Did I fuck up, or is it markedly more likely to be something else ?

Omikron

Salazar said:
I installed Portal 2 (from a disc) onto my brother's laptop at my house, using my wireless connection. It was the first game in his Steam account - which he already had, but hadn't used for anything.

Now he can't sign into Steam using his internet connection.

Did I fuck up, or is it markedly more likely to be something else ?

Erroring out? Or showing the confirmation it is you screen asking for you to enter the one-time key?

(that is usuaully what I get when I log into steam on a diff PC/IP)

Salazar

Omi said:
Erroring out? Or showing the confirmation it is you screen asking for you to enter the one-time key?

I didn't get enough details. He seemed to suggest it was the former, though. He said he can play the game, but he can't save.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Just noticed that accessing Steam from UQ gives me US prices...

I know where I'm going the next time there's a Steam sale :D

This is good news.

Deeku

So I'm watching bloomberg tv and they talked a tiny bit about Nintendo's earnings report. Pretty standard discussion, but it was really weird seeing a dude in a suit that was not Pachter or some other gaming industry personality talking about the upcoming Mario Kart release from the trading floor.

Deeku

Salazar said:
University of Queensland.

Where I am now. Slightly irritated that semester has started up and there are heaps of people, even on Fridays.
I always find it hilarious how uni is always packed on the first week, then begins to drop gradually each week until the final week where everyone comes back for revision lectures.

commanderdeek said:
Heh, looks like all doom and gloom for Nintendo. Shares down 20%.

They'll bounce back, right?
I'm wondering if this will lead to Nintendo switching to selling consoles as a loss-leader... Probably not, though.

jambo said:
Kerrby is banned?!
Huh... what the hell has he been up to in the last couple of hours since his last post in this thread...?

Edit: And I'm a member now? huh, what does that mean? 300 posts? All barring one or two of those has been in AusGAF. Sorry, guys :(

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Heh, looks like all doom and gloom for Nintendo. Shares down 20%.

They'll bounce back, right?

cant see Wii u bucking this trend

Wii was right place right time and so was DS

lightning won't strike twice

Top Bottom