• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AusGAF being stickied here in the Community forum is a courtesy extended because of the fact it was once stickied over in Gaming. As to why it's at all stickied, well... that's a reasoning lost with time. :p

Clipper

JaseC said:
AusGAF being stickied here in the Community forum is a courtesy extended because of the fact it was once stickied over in Gaming. As to why it's at all stickied, well... that's a reasoning lost with time. :p
Was it ever stickied in gaming? I don't remember that. AusGAF used to be a normal thread in gaming, but then Evilore finally decided the megathreads were taking up too many of the slots in the first page of posts and moved us here, giving us the sticky as compensation.

And wow, AusGAF 3.0 is getting a bit long in the tooth already! It won't be long until 4.0...

So, I finished up Portal 2 last night. That was a whole lot of fun, if ultimately too short. By that I'm not implying that I didn't get my money's worth, it's that it left me wanting more, which is good.

BUT NOW I WANT MORE AND THERE IS NO MORE!!

The real question now, though, is what to strike off of the old backlog now. For some random reason, I feel like playing another Valve game (weird, huh?) which means Half-Life 2. Quick question for the collective intelligence of GAF: I'm not really a FPS kind of guy, which is why Portal and Fallout 3 suit my needs (no muscle-twitch hardc0re shooting). Will HL2 meet my needs i.e. small sections of moderate shooting but puzzle elements chucked in? From what I've heard it may, but I thought I'd consult the experts.

Clipper said:
Was it ever stickied in gaming? I don't remember that. AusGAF used to be a normal thread in gaming, but then Evilore finally decided the megathreads were taking up too many of the slots in the first page of posts and moved us here, giving us the sticky as compensation.

And wow, AusGAF 3.0 is getting a bit long in the tooth already! It won't be long until 4.0...
Yeah it was stickied in gaming for over a year i think

Rez said:
Then there's more! Rejoice.
Yeah, I know. I'm not sure if I want to face the world of XBL randoms in order to play co-op, though. Really seems like a game that would be better had with people that you know.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no interest in playing portal 2 co-op after playing the SP. I had enough of the portal universe and part of me hopes it doesn't come back. So harsh!

Question for iPhone users. I've been wondering, How can you actually tell that the device is actually using your wifi when browsing? You get a little spinning icon next to the wifi one but this also appears during 3G data usage. Half the time it feels like it's using 3G and the other half it's using Wifi. I do wish there was something more clear regarding what it's using.

Kritz

Banned
Jintor said:
By the way Kritz, I don't see you in the self-improvement 45 day draw-a-thon

where are you kritz

where are you

Because there's no way I'd ever be able to draw as often as that thread demands, nor would I actually improve.

Also, because everyone in that thread is better at drawing than me.

commissar

evlcookie said:
I have no interest in playing portal 2 co-op after playing the SP. I had enough of the portal universe and part of me hopes it doesn't come back. So harsh!

Question for iPhone users. I've been wondering, How can you actually tell that the device is actually using your wifi when browsing? You get a little spinning icon next to the wifi one but this also appears during 3G data usage. Half the time it feels like it's using 3G and the other half it's using Wifi. I do wish there was something more clear regarding what it's using.
Jailbreak & add SBSettings. Swipe along the top to turn in/off wifi, data, brightess, end processes to free up memory, silent toggle (useful for me cause my switch broke)

It's the best thing about jailbreaking tbh.

Otherwise I thought if the wifi signal replaces the 3g one then the phone defaults to wifi?

Fredescu

pieatorium said:
Yeah it was stickied in gaming for over a year i think
It was never stickied in gaming. I think it's just stickied in here as a nice gesture because we were moved, but it's kinda pointless because we'd rarely be off the front page in here.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
commissar said:
Jailbreak & add SBSettings. Swipe along the top to turn in/off wifi, data, brightess, end processes to free up memory, silent toggle (useful for me cause my switch broke)

It's the best thing about jailbreaking tbh.

Otherwise I thought if the wifi signal replaces the 3g one then the phone defaults to wifi?

I have all that.

The problem is, if it's connected to the wifi but the wifi isn't connected to the internet you get no notification of it since it just switches back to 3G. Since there's no indication of that happening and you still get your little spinning icon saying data is transmitted, you're kinda fucked.

Rahk

Planet_JASE said:
So, I finished up Portal 2 last night. That was a whole lot of fun, if ultimately too short. By that I'm not implying that I didn't get my money's worth, it's that it left me wanting more, which is good.

BUT NOW I WANT MORE AND THERE IS NO MORE!!

The real question now, though, is what to strike off of the old backlog now. For some random reason, I feel like playing another Valve game (weird, huh?) which means Half-Life 2. Quick question for the collective intelligence of GAF: I'm not really a FPS kind of guy, which is why Portal and Fallout 3 suit my needs (no muscle-twitch hardc0re shooting). Will HL2 meet my needs i.e. small sections of moderate shooting but puzzle elements chucked in? From what I've heard it may, but I thought I'd consult the experts.
HL2 doesn't really have muscle twitch shooting, but there is a quite a bit of shooting involved. I believe it's fairly lenient, just stick it on easy. It is generally pretty good with splitting up the gameplay, so you won't be doing the same thing for too long. There will sometimes be a big fight, and then it will quieten down and you'll just be exploring/walking for a while. There is heaps of variety in the areas you go through.

If you liked Portal 2's story telling method, chances are you'll like HL2 even if you don't really play FPS. Give it a try.

Kritz

Banned
Planet_JASE said:
Will HL2 meet my needs i.e. small sections of moderate shooting but puzzle elements chucked in? From what I've heard it may, but I thought I'd consult the experts.

Moderate shooting with puzzle elements is more or less exactly what Half Life 2 is, mechanically.

The shooting isn't even very good so it can't afford to be twitchy, I guess you're in luck there!

Rahk said:
HL2 doesn't really have muscle twitch shooting, but there is a quite a bit of shooting involved. I believe it's fairly lenient, just stick it on easy. It is generally pretty good with splitting up the gameplay, so you won't be doing the same thing for too long. There will sometimes be a big fight, and then it will quieten down and you'll just be exploring/walking for a while. There is heaps of variety in the areas you go through.

If you liked Portal 2's story telling method, chances are you'll like HL2 even if you don't really play FPS. Give it a try.
I think I just might... The variety of mechanics, plus the story is what I keep on hearing about, so as long as it doesn't ask too much of my thumbs it sounds like fun.

Kritz said:
Moderate shooting with puzzle elements is more or less exactly what Half Life 2 is, mechanically.

The shooting isn't even very good so it can't afford to be twitchy, I guess you're in luck there!
Finally, a game that's willing to lower itself to my skill level!!

Thank you both for your replies; I really appreciate it.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
I have all that.

The problem is, if it's connected to the wifi but the wifi isn't connected to the internet you get no notification of it since it just switches back to 3G. Since there's no indication of that happening and you still get your little spinning icon saying data is transmitted, you're kinda fucked.
Whenever mine is showing the WiFi signal, it tries to use it to download data, never defaulting to 3G, and I haven't jailbroken or anything. It definitely prefers WiFi too and will try to use it, even if it's got an extremely weak signal. Often, when I'm walking through my Uni campus while listening to streaming podcasts, I'll switch off WiFi and just use 3G as it keeps dropping out and breaking the stream whenever I've switch routers or I'm only close enough to one to have a really weak WiFi signal (the streaming data can't seem to switch between Wifi and 3G easily).

Planet_JASE said:
Yeah, I know. I'm not sure if I want to face the world of XBL randoms in order to play co-op, though. Really seems like a game that would be better had with people that you know.
Man, that's a pity. Hopefully you can find a friend with the 360 version willing to play it with you. I had a ball playing it with jambo (me on PS3, him on PC).

Kritz

Banned
Planet_JASE said:
I think I just might... The variety of mechanics, plus the story is what I keep on hearing about, so as long as it doesn't ask too much of my thumbs it sounds like fun.

Silly JASE, you don't play half life with thumbs!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
internodes not called
jbhifi hasnt delivered my stereo
i almost got ran over by a man on a bike after buying $50 credit so i could call both of them, and tripped up and lost the credit into the gutter
i have no food in my house. i havent eaten today, and i cant go anywhere because i'm on call for work and need access to my email.. but because i lost the credit down the drain i have nointernet on my phone, and i dont trust internode or jbhifi to wait for me to go home if they call

fuck everything

someone just dropped off stuff for the census in August. Apparently you can do it online.

Apparently the ABS has really, really, really good servers

senahorse

Behold

Keep scrolling, it's coming.

A PARTY SIZE BAG OF PEANUT BUTTER M&Ms, OVER 1KG OF CHOCOLATE BLISS

dh97yx.jpg

Shaneus

x3n05 said:
Behold

Keep scrolling, it's coming.

A PARTY SIZE BAG OF PEANUT BUTTER M&Ms, OVER 1KG OF CHOCOLATE BLISS

http://i51.tinypic.com/dh97yx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
After that post, it's not the only thing that's coming.

[QUOTE=markot]We should call it 5.0. Like Google, just bump it up a notch! Bam![/QUOTE]
Like Leisure Suit Larry. Skip the 4.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well great, now I have to go buy M&Ms.

HolyCheck

Fuck you melbourne and your fucking jerkarse fucking dick city ways

I have shitty internet because no one will help me. and optus refuse to go look at the exchange unless they can come to my apartment too.

I buy a stereo and i ring up the courier to make sure they have it and its coming, they say yes. i ring them up 4 hours later they tell me they never had it and im mad and theyll deliver it during the week. I WORK FUCKWODS. AND NEXT WEEKEND IM WORKING TOO

so all this i sit there all day with NO food in my house because i cant go out because if i do fucking internode will ring then say oh ur not near ur modem, we'll call back. and never call back

so the end of the shittiest starvingiest day i go OK ILL ORDER A FUCKING PIZZA IVE EARNT IT.

i go to make the order on crusts website

there fucking buttons broken and i click it and the page NEVER LOADS ANYTHING

then i go and check my bank balance and i'm down $200~ to "uncollected funds" which i cant fucking view and i ring crust pizza and they tell me i havent made an order so fuckthem up the arse

now i cant affordm ore pizza

so i will die

midonnay

I hear you brother....

the other day, the removalist van was 4 hours late

and electricity door knockers.... what the fuck is up with that?

fuck you melbourne

HolyCheck

midonnay said:
I hear you brother....

the other day, the removalist van was 4 hours late

and electricity door knockers.... what the fuck is up with that?

fuck you melbourne

atleast they came, i got told my hifi was on the truck. then 5 hours later its not

Top Bottom