• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

EatChildren said:
RRP$350 to RRP$250. Early adopters who have connected to the eShop (or do so before August 12 I think) will recieve 20 free games. 10 of those will be NES VC games, the other 10 GBA VC games. The former are due in September, the latter sometime next year.
That... might actually make me feel a little better, depending on what the games are. Still, that's a pretty deep cut, so those VC games better not be tripe.

Every time I adopt early, I get screwed over :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
That... might actually make me feel a little better, depending on what the games are.

We know five of each so far.

Free Virtual Console NES Games
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Free Virtual Consome GameBoy Advance Games
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ 5 more

Fucking channel 9, just half watched Goblet of Fire which edited out all the "violent" bits at 10pm. This was followed by an overlong trailer for the dreadful Camelot series proclaiming it as The Greatest Love Story Ever Told (it is honestly the worst I've seen in a while). Show is cancelled anyway, why they are bothering to air it at all, I do not know.

roosters93 said:
Just finished The Shield. Dayum.

Hell yes, amazing end to an amazing series.

Clipper

That... might actually make me feel a little better, depending on what the games are. Still, that's a pretty deep cut, so those VC games better not be tripe.

Every time I adopt early, I get screwed over :/
As EatChildren shows, you're not screwed over in the slightest. And those GBA games are currently exclusive to early adopters. They have no plans to sell them in the eShop, making them even more awesome. The NES games will be sold in the eShop, but we get a timed exclusive on them. Finally, the NES games are meant to be improved somehow when they start selling them for real and we get the improvements at the same time. It is unclear at the moment what they mean by improved, whether it means there won't be manuals at launch (which is September 1) and they'll add them in later, or whether some of them are due for 3D Classic treatment and we'll get them upgraded to that form.

All in all, pretty awesome. Did I say they were awesome yet? Cause they're awesome, you see.

Edit: Oh, and Mario Kart 3DS and Mario 3DS have dates now. Both will be here by December. Well, they'll be in the US by December, I'm not sure NAL gave local dates.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
Edit: Oh, and Mario Kart 3DS and Mario 3DS have dates now. Both will be here by December. Well, they'll be in the US by December, I'm not sure NAL gave local dates.

The Nintendo of Australia PR sadly made no mention of any 3DS games, which is a bit concerning.

Free GBA games does make me pretty happy and ten of them seems fairly generous (Fusion alone atones for a lot). Still, I don't like to feel I overpaid for the system.

Also, did anyone find a workaround for the "you can't use an Aussie credit card on the US eShop" thing they snuck into the last update? As in, is anyone selling US point cards online yet?

Salazar

Also, did anyone find a workaround for the "you can't use an Aussie credit card on the US eShop" thing they snuck into the last update? As in, is anyone selling US point cards online yet?

Should a married man be engaging in underhand practices ?

Salazar said:
Should a married man be engaging in underhand practices ?
If I want to give NoA some of my money in exchange for software licenses for use on hardware I paid launch price for, then by all that is good and wholesome about video games, they will take my damned, legally-obtained money and smile at me whilst doing so.

It isn't underhanded if I'm trying to give them money - that's not how it works :mad:

Clipper

Free GBA games does make me pretty happy and ten of them seems fairly generous (Fusion alone atones for a lot). Still, I don't like to feel I overpaid for the system.

You don't have any friends in the States you can trust?

Salazar

It isn't underhanded if I'm trying to give them money - that's not how it works :mad:

Very true.

In other news, Blood Bowl (PC) is the greatest sports game I've played. Who knew that all it took was lots of humour, bizarre rules, and a turn-based system for me to go completely goddamn bananas for gridiron.

FallbackPants said:
That's an easy question, SMH is the bomb.

I actually quite like the Courier, definitely prefer it to the Australian. Although that could just be the guaranteed 5 pages of Broncos coverage, even in the depths of summer

lol, that's one of the reasons I like the Australian. They keep the sport separate, so I don't have to look at it :p The courier mail doesn't even confine the sport to the sports section. I have to read all about state of origin on the front page!

VSK, congrats :D I imagine Thailand would be a beautiful place for a honeymoon, especially if you managed to get away from the bogans. :p When I think about Bogan Aussie tourists who go to thailand/ bali I feel kind of ashamed to be Australian :( Maybe I can camouflage as a NZer because I don't have the tell tale southern cross tattoo....

jambo

Awesome night, suited up with the boys and the girls all put their best dresses on and we had some beautiful Thai food.

Kirby102

I just recently finished Ghost Trick on DS... holy shit. All I can say is...

HVJRG.jpg

Just... wow.

Nemesis_

Kirby102 said:
I just recently finished Ghost Trick on DS... holy shit. All I can say is...

HVJRG.jpg

Just... wow.

It's amazing. Still a tad disappointed Sissel and Missile didn't make it into Marvel vs Capcom 3, but meh. lol

Damn it, is the Shield really that good? Damn, now I'm going to have to watch it. Stop giving me more and more shows to watch GAF!! I've still got half a season of Sopranos to watch, and a chunk of the Wire left.

shanshan310 said:
lol, that's one of the reasons I like the Australian. They keep the sport separate, so I don't have to look at it :p The courier mail doesn't even confine the sport to the sports section. I have to read all about state of origin on the front page!

The SMH and Age do something similar, they have a tabloid size sport and business insert inside the papers. So you'd probably love that.

Just making sure AusGAF knows about We're Alive, an amazing Zombie podcast in the old fashion 'radio drama' style. They just finished season 2, so it's a great time to catch up. Get on it people, it's amazing.

markot

Banned
So I finally saw Mario and Luigi, the bowser one in eb. It was second hand! Bargain score! Whats that? $65 bucks >.>?

I hate those bastardly types. $5 off isnt really second hand.... its basically dropped less than 5% of its value... I cant on principle pay that much for a sh game >_<

Deeku

Welcome back vks!

PA are selling them, but at a premium of course. $20 cards for $27.90 which sucks but it's an option. But if you get 2 and use a coupon it works out ok.

markot said:
So I finally saw Mario and Luigi, the bowser one in eb. It was second hand! Bargain score! Whats that? $65 bucks >.>?

I hate those bastardly types. $5 off isnt really second hand.... its basically dropped less than 5% of its value... I cant on principle pay that much for a sh game >_<

Was this like your first visit to an EB or something? That's business as usual.

Bowser's Inside Story can be had for a little under $30 at Play-Asia.

Deeku

Happy Birthday Jintor!

Uni starts again tomorrow for me. Kinda excited since it's been a pretty boring month and bit. Last semester yo!

What I love about that comic is the centipede that's crawling out of the birthday skeleton's gaping, empty, soul-sucking maw of an eye-socket.

@Bern - that would be cool. I'm good for points at just this very moment (put $50 down the second the shop was up and before they banned non-US credit cards), but it'll be nice to be able to buy more when the time comes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tasmania is #1 on my list of places to visit eventually. I like the fact that it precedes every other overseas venture.

Kritz

Banned
I was looking forward to going to Richmond today , too, but ran outta time. Currently having a coffee in Salamanca, another nice place.

Sometimes I forget how pretty this place is from my 24" monitors.

legend166

Kritz said:
I was looking forward to going to Richmond today , too, but ran outta time. Currently having a coffee in Salamanca, another nice place.

Sometimes I forget how pretty this place is from my 24" monitors.

Richmond has an awesome lolly shop.

And an old timey jail. That's all I remember of it.

OH. A bridge, too.

Kritz

Banned
legend166 said:
Richmond has an awesome lolly shop.

And an old timey jail. That's all I remember of it.

OH. A bridge, too.

And a maze!

The lollyshop is a fucking staple of Richmond. Used to love going there back when I lived at Brighton.

9wRc1l.jpg

Also, holy shit it was cold on Mt Wellington. Was like -10 at the very top. After a certain point there's no friendly pedestrian walkways, so to get to the absolute top you have to climb this mount of slippery icy rocks. Saw some guys go up there who had a friend in a wheelchair, and they just had to leave him behind after a point. It was super, super windy and really wet and freezing. My clothes are still damp two hour or so later.

In the picture a few posts back is my younger cousin, we threw a few snowballs at the rest of our family. Despite living so close to a source of snow, I've never really gone up there and played with it. I can confirm that snow is indeed super cold, and is also REALLY HARD AND SHARP. I have cuts all over my hands from picking it up.

FbXfel.jpg

There were a few crazy as shit people up there too, who covered nearly their entire windshiled with snow (picture above is more cousins doing a less crazy version - note it all got taken off before we started driving). Nearly got hit by one guy on the drive up who had his car absolutely covered in the shit. Going back down there were a bunch of tourists kinda weaving all over the road not knowing which way they were going, too.

Hard to convey from pictures, but the view was really good from near the top.

ekVLxl.jpg

edit: stupid imgur posting native resolution images :(

Hadn't played Dead Rising for about 18 months. I played for about 2 hours, deciding to call it a day when I died one too many times. I chose the 'Save and Quit' option, not realising 'Quit' means 'delete your save game and force you to start from the very start'.

So that's the last time I'll ever play that game.

Edit: When I went up the top of Mt Wellington the one and only time I've been there, it was so foggy it was like the draw distance had been turned off, and I couldn't even see the edge of the mountain before it started dropping.

legend166

codswallop said:
Hadn't played Dead Rising for about 18 months. I played for about 2 hours, deciding to call it a day when I died one too many times. I chose the 'Save and Quit' option, not realising 'Quit' means 'delete your save game and force you to start from the very start'.

So that's the last time I'll ever play that game.

Edit: When I went up the top of Mt Wellington the one and only time I've been there, it was so foggy it was like the draw distance had been turned off, and I couldn't even see the edge of the mountain before it started dropping.

Oh man, when I finally get around to uploading all my Europe photos, I need to put up the one I took at the top of Hitler's Eagles Nest. We could see about 3m ahead.

Rahk

codswallop said:
You keep your level though, so it'll be easier to get through the beginning.

Top Bottom