• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

I probably shouldn't try and overclock my iMac right, especially considering I don't know what I'm doing? It's just I can see the options in the CCC and i'm tempted :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS been confirmed for a 2011 release in Europe? I ask because Australia's price drop PR made no mention of the titles coming by the end of the year, unlike Japan and the US, and with our shitty schedule I wouldn't be surprised if one slipped through to next year.

I know Kid Icarus is 2012 for PAL, but as long as Europe gets the other two in 2011 I'm happy.

jambo

Sutton Dagger said:
I probably shouldn't try and overclock my iMac right, especially considering I don't know what I'm doing? It's just I can see the options in the CCC and i'm tempted :)

Using CCC is "overclocking" =P

Salazar said:
Bris-GAF:

Who has been to Kilcoy ?

Tell me things.
There is a corner store there that makes amazing burgers. Well there was like 5 years ago.

It's just a little country town really. Not far from Kingaroy (which is a slightly bigger country town).

Bernbaum

Salazar said:
Bris-GAF:

Who has been to Kilcoy ?

Tell me things.
Pack a book.

-

I watched the finale for the third season of Mad Men last night - a show I was slow to warm to when it was first broadcast here on free-to-air but was advised to give a second chance. My initial assessment of the show was that it was 'lesser than the sum of it's parts' - fantastic production design; an iconic setting; overflowing with snappy dialogue; and a complement of characters who were all well-realised in the shows early stages. However I felt the show lacked any clear direction and was merely a collection of well-shot scenes, albeit incoherent.

Season one didn't reveal what kind of show it was until the last few episodes and I was won over before starting on season two, which I again felt wasn't building towards anything in particular but simply gave plenty of real estate for the characters to stretch out in.

The third season was easily the most sure-footed arc yet. There were plenty of standout moments that anchored the show along the way and the addition (and removal) of certain characters was well-suited to the direction of the show and felt natural (I normally see casting changes as a result of production constraints - not necessarily chosen by the show's writers). The englishman Price offered a fresh perspective on the Sterling Cooper operation and his character proved likeable in the long run. There's also 'that scene' with the John Deere lawnmower which was enough to put audiences on edge and and remind them the show could take an abrupt change in tack at any moment.

All of that of course culminated in the show's finest hour in the season finale. For the first time in the show's entire run, it felt like everything that had come before had been building up to that final moment. It's a bit of a gamble with how the outcomes of the finale will bear on the fourth season (which I will watch after I've mentally digested Season 3 in a month or so) but I enjoyed a far more active transition in the show's direction when all the major social changes typical of the 60's were covered in a much more passive fashion in the background. Small touches like minor technological additions around the office have proven as key reminders of the changes seen during the era but I look forward to seeing how a much more direct impact on the show's core characters will come to bear in the fourth season.

Plus, Remo, Gaynor and Breckon have tweeted about how much they loved season four, which is always encouraging.

Anyone else like the comedic stylings of Louis CK? I'm thinking of downloading his TV show.

jambo

Sutton Dagger said:
What program can I use to control fan speeds? I'm trying SMC fan control but it isn't working for some reason.

As far as I know you should be able to control fan speeds in CCC.

I've been back on Team Green since January so I can't remember how you Reds do it.

Also, I was calling it "overclocking" because back in my day you had to do it all through the BIOS or flashing programs! ;)

Gazunta

Back in my day you changed crystals on the motherboard and randomly moved DIP switches until you got an extra 2 megahertz of CPU in Turbo Mode :<

Omikron

Gazunta said:
Back in my day you changed crystals on the motherboard and randomly moved DIP switches until you got an extra 2 megahertz of CPU in Turbo Mode :<

Maths co-processors were fucking boss.

midonnay said:
first season of louie is great....

second season gaf seems to have a hard-on for but I think he's trying too hard

Second season is much better. Not as haha funny but it has a lot more to say.

Agyar

jambo said:
Also, I was calling it "overclocking" because back in my day you had to do it all through the BIOS or flashing programs! ;)

Back in my day you needed to re-solder your motherboard, connect circuits with graphite pencils or physically modify the CPU pins. Overclocking was hardcore shit that was likely to destroy your entire computer.

Fredescu

While we're getting all back in my day, does anyone remember the forks you used to use to replace CPUs in the days before ZIF sockets? I worked at a place ages ago that had a whole bunch of them, but I can't find a picture of one on the internet to go and get all nostalgic about.

jambo

I can remember some of the graphite stuff, never did it myself, but some mates tried it and I think one of the computer teachers at school may have showed us how it was done.

Gazunta said:

PCs don't even have turbo buttons anymore, you just use DOSBox.

Choc

Banned
you can charge an ipad 2 with the galaxy tab 10.1 dock connector AND you can charge a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with an ipad connector

lol samsung.

if thats true lol lol.

jambo

From Whirlpool

one thing to be careful of is that the cable will only charge from the Samsung adaptor. I tried my 2amp Apple charger for iPad and it would'nt charge at all.. tried my generic USB 2amp charger at work and it didnt charge either! The Samsung charger must have a chip inside... BUMMER!!!

Interesting

Choc said:
you can charge an ipad 2 with the galaxy tab 10.1 dock connector AND you can charge a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with an ipad connector

lol samsung.

if thats true lol lol.

Wouldn't that be lol apple?

i thought the samsung plug was around before the apple one was from what you posted before. i remember them from older mp3 players and phones.

maybe samsung is trying to keep it universal.

speaking of which i just ditched my iphone 4 for a droid today....gonna have to rebuy all apps on droid store, sigh.

Choc said:

lol samsung.

if thats true lol lol.

Haha.

A mate got a samsung galaxy phone a few months back. Talk about an iphone clone, it's like samsung didn't even bother trying to hide it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:
Have Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS been confirmed for a 2011 release in Europe? I ask because Australia's price drop PR made no mention of the titles coming by the end of the year, unlike Japan and the US, and with our shitty schedule I wouldn't be surprised if one slipped through to next year.

I know Kid Icarus is 2012 for PAL, but as long as Europe gets the other two in 2011 I'm happy.

We are getting those two in Australia in 2011. Kid Icarus we're not.

So I got a 5-6 FPS boost in Crysis by raising from 680/800 to 800/1000, which is pretty considerable for me. I really need to control the fan speeds across all the fans though as the components are nice and close in an iMac. Why won't SMC fan control work :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
We are getting those two in Australia in 2011. Kid Icarus we're not.

Good. If we dont its your head I'll take.

Rahk

Aon said:
Uni libraries only stocking a single copy of a particular ebook that is loaned out in 24 hour installments has to be the one of the stupidest relics from a pre digital world that can exist.

I mean seriously.
Wtf, whyyyyyyyy?

I'm guessing this is a restriction from the publisher's end rather than the library so people still have a reason to purchase their shit?

Surely the library can buy more copies or whatever though.

Choc

Banned
GOLD GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA GOLD

SAMSUNG is pressing ahead with its plan to launch its Galaxy 10.1 tablet locally despite a Federal Court order prohibiting the sale of a variant in Australia.

The Korean electronics giant said Apple filed a complaint in the courts over a product it didn't intend on selling in Australia.

Samsung this afternoon said the version of the Galaxy Tab subject to the court agreement was not the version the Korean supplier intended placing on the Australian market.

LOL.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...th-galaxy-launch/story-e6frgakx-1226106822720

Salazar

When you're filling out the census guys, make sure you remember:

onenation and chain emails said:
Do not leave the "RELIGION" section blank. Be sure to at least tick "Christian" or your upbringing faith. You can be sure 1,000.000 Muslims WILL tick their box and 10,000 Australians will leave it blank and then wonder why a MOSQUE is built in their neighbourhood.

:(

Salazar said:
I would be thrilled if someone built a mosque near me.

A capital letters mosque, the real deal, would be even better.

There's a mosque near me. I can live without it.

But then I'd prefer to live in the country away from everybody.

Gazunta

Yeah I'm seeing that float around ovarious family member's Facebook pages, that and the ensuing comments are a nice reminder why I don't have much at all to do with them.
that and I'm the black sheep

I do like posting replies in Arabic though.

roosters93 said:
Do not leave the "RELIGION" section blank. Be sure to at least tick "Christian" or your upbringing faith. You can be sure 1,000.000 Muslims WILL tick their box and 10,000 Australians will leave it blank and then wonder why a MOSQUE is built in their neighbourhood.

Yeah I got that too. Pretty depressing. How about I put atheist down and not complain when they build a church, mosque or temple in my neighbourhood?

The census has nothing to do with building "places of worship" life that compared to available land.

There used to be lots of farms and acreage lots around here and lots of churches/ temples/ mosques of various persuasions are around here because that's were large lots were once relatively cheap.

Salazar

On the subject of junk mail, I got a good letter today.

An invitation to be in an encyclopaedia of the 1000 Greatest Minds of the Twentieth Century.

A great honour.

My name came up at a meeting of their expert advisory board - which comprises some 14,000 people from a range of professions.

I had to fill in a biographical questionnaire and cough up for a bound copy of the book (3 volumes, very fine), and I would join the ranks of the cerebral élite.

Bernbaum

As a lazy atheist, I think a mosque or one of those catholic equivalents would add a nice bit of colour to the Northside Brisbane wasteland.

Is 'no religion' an option on the form or is it 'no answer'?

Jintor

Let me tell you one downside of living near a Mosque: Morning, Midday, and Evening prayers. Possibly on loudspeaker to broadcast over the entire neighbourhood.

Probably wouldn't happen hear, but a real pain back in my hometown

Top Bottom