• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc said:

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Looks like coincidence to me Choc.

jambo said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/28/3202046.htm?section=entertainment

oh dear, now this could get rather bad.

Luckily I have a debit card on PSN, and even though I get paid today, I'll be spending a large chunk of my money tonight :lol

EDIT: I might get a new card just to be on the safe side...
I called up and the bank are now aware that I am worried about fraud so they are keeping track of my purchases and will do the whole SMS thing if a random one comes up. I've got protection on my Debit card anyway so if money is taken they will refund the amount, especially since I have contacted them about it. I was actually asking for a new card but they recommended just keeping an eye on my funds rather than wait for another card. I have no idea what my password on PSN is, although it should be an old one that I used back in 2005. I changed everything else back when the Gawker hack happened so Paypal et al are safe.

legend166 said:
Great article on the poker machine reforms:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/56496.html
A few years ago I did the course to be a gaming worker as the money is pretty good for effectively emptying pokie machines at the end of the day. Didn't feel comfortable enough to continue the process and get my gaming licence. Shit is messed up. Even playing Blackjack seems like a profitable enterprise once you see the figures for pokie return. I don't see why people wouldn't want to stop people destroying their lives and the lives of the people around them, the reforms won't stop people playing pokies but it will mean they are capable of losing less money.

Choc

Banned
untoldhero said:
Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Looks like coincidence to me Choc.

FOR FUCK SAKE

Gazunta

If only there was someone here on AusGAF who's day job involved them making online video versions of ABC programs. OH WELL.

Danoss

Shaneus said:
Would be great if I could login to tell if my credit card was registered on PSN or not YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.
They could always turn it back on to allow such things, making sure the hackers can get everyone's details instead of only some.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
They could always turn it back on to allow such things, making sure the hackers can get everyone's details instead of only some.

they could provide guidance as to how you could somewhat tell if a cc was on your account

such as

'are you psn plus? we have your cc'

'do you only randomly purchase psn items? we may not have your cc'

etc

Choc said:
FOR FUCK SAKE
Stop jumping to conclusions that they weren't doing everything they could.

To quote from the hack thread

RustyNails said:
They were following the rulebook of creating a relatively secure database which is also efficient. If you encrypt personal information table as well, you will probably have the most inefficient database in the world. Encryption takes a huge toll on performance so it's true that you cannot realistically encrypt the entire tables that have more than 3 or 4 fields which have 75m+ rows of data. I don't see them committing something offensive here and keeping user table hidden behind "sophisticated security system" is a better decision.

Clipper

In GIF form:
serrelsloop3.gif

Clipper said:
In GIF form:
serrelsloop3.gif
Good lord, the little smile as he turns back to the interviewer. Painful in my belly.

Choc said:
they could provide guidance as to how you could somewhat tell if a cc was on your account
If you have EVER typed your CC into the PSN they have it in their database. EVER. For anything. The security pin wasn't taken which is the most important thing. At this point every bank in the world has heard of the problem and if there is an instance of fraud with your account they will understand it was Sony's fault. Basically change your password and usernames that are similar to your PSN one and keep an eye on your funds. Although since it is so publicised and the Police are investigating why would anyone want to commit fraud now? It would only be more evidence to track them down.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Well, they can only log in if they have your username and password, yeah? If the passwords are supposedly encrypted, then that shouldn't be possible (or at least, plausible).

Even, as Choc said, if there was a way to tell exactly what information (last four digits, if at all) may have been compromised via an email or an automated helpdesk-type scenario, it would be better than what's there now.

Shaneus said:
Well, they can only log in if they have your username and password, yeah? If the passwords are supposedly encrypted, then that shouldn't be possible (or at least, plausible).

Even, as Choc said, if there was a way to tell exactly what information (last four digits, if at all) may have been compromised via an email or an automated helpdesk-type scenario, it would be better than what's there now.
Q: What if I don’t know which credit card I’ve got attached to my PlayStation Network account?
A: If you’ve added funds to your PlayStation Network wallet in the past, you should have received a confirmation email from “DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net” at the email address associated with your account. This email would have been sent to you immediately after you added the funds, and will contain the first 4 digits and last 4 digits of your credit card number. You can also check your previous credit card statements to determine which card was attached to your PlayStation Network or Qriocity accounts.

jambo said:
Serrels done goofed.
Well, the cameraman goofed but I'm sure Serrels now regrets letting AusGAF know he was going to be on ABC24.

Moving forward, we are initiating several measures that will significantly enhance all aspects of PlayStation Network’s security and your personal data, including moving our network infrastructure and data center to a new, more secure location, which is already underway.

Hmm, maybe they a considering someone at the server location tried to make off with some of the data? Or is that idea stupid and I shouldn't have watched Die Hard 4.0?

Someone also made a post about cross-game chat being a possibility if they restructure the PSN as I think it was rumoured to be impossible to achieve with the current PSN structure.

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Hmm, maybe they a considering someone at the server location tried to make off with some of the data? Or is that idea stupid and I shouldn't have watched Die Hard 4.0?

Someone also made a post about cross-game chat being a possibility if they restructure the PSN as I think it was rumoured to be impossible to achieve with the current PSN structure.

if they come out and E3 and say well now that we had to rebuild everything and you all had your identities taken, we can provide cross game chat

haha oh dear, lead balloon

Kirby102

Omi said:
So hey, I still have a bunch of games available for gifting on steam if anyone wants...

Portal 2, L4D2, HL2 x 2 are gone from that list. I think.
Would you kindly be awesome and provide me with TF2? I haven't played TF since Classic... so apparently I'm missing out on a lot (of hats lol)

<3

jambo

Kirby102 said:
Would you kindly be awesome and provide me with TF2? I haven't played TF since Classic... so apparently I'm missing out on a lot (of hats lol)

<3

Then you can play with us =D

Cause AusGAF totally plays games together all the time...

Omikron

Kirby102 said:

<3

Yeah, no probs, gift you in chat or whatever :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
you guys are going to scare serrels away! :)

He loves the attention, don't ya Serrels :p

No one post it on Kotaku though ;)

Will find a way to work this into my Nintendo update

This page is like 30mb now because of the damn gifs. Think of the poor 56kers!

Anyone use eneloop batteries? Thinking of picking some up for my 360 controllers (and unmentionables) as the battery packs are losing chard really quickly. Like if I don't use them for a week they are dead. Eneloops seem to be pretty popular but I don't have much experience with rechargeable batteries, how long does a single charge usually last? How much is a decent price for them? Found a site selling 4 and a charger for $23.

I just use regular Energizer rechargeables. I have 3 or 4 sets and just rotate them, making sure there's always at least one fresh set charged for when the current ones die.

As for duration, 20-30 hours at least I guess with a 360 controller. They last long enough that I don't really have to worry about them. The wireless headset, on the other hand, only lasts about 4 hours and when it hits halfway goes flat VERY fast.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
reptilescorpio said:
Anyone use eneloop batteries? Thinking of picking some up for my 360 controllers (and unmentionables) as the battery packs are losing chard really quickly. Like if I don't use them for a week they are dead. Eneloops seem to be pretty popular but I don't have much experience with rechargeable batteries, how long does a single charge usually last? How much is a decent price for them? Found a site selling 4 and a charger for $23.

So awesome. Buy them and have intercourse with them. They are that good.

Bernbaum

Moments like these when you sit back and take stock of what AusGAF actually is as a thing on the internet. As something that was originally set up to share local industry news; retail bargains and availability of titles, and enjoys a healthy population of diverse personality types and has resulted in several real-world meetups, the whole thing has evolved into something difficult to define and can be a little weird. Not ‘creepy’ weird, but ‘I would have a hard time explaining what this thread is to people on the street’ weird.

Cudos to Serrels (who hopefully isn’t creeped out by seeing his animated personage greeting him everytime he opens this page) for being an on-the-level, rational, motivated journalist who is not above consorting with the proletariat hordes. Cudos to Choc for being a good sport despite his general obliviousness and my inkling that he is probably on better money than a lot of people here and likely carries a title of notable seniority despite his kindergartner-level command of the English language.

5/5 – Kritz.net

Fredescu

Eneloops are awesome. They don't lose charge when they're sitting around which is the most important thing for me when it comes to controllers and such.

Clipper

reptilescorpio said:
This page is like 30mb now because of the damn gifs. Think of the poor 56kers!
Nah, it's only about 5MB. No browser worth its salt would download the same image link multiple times. That's what cache is for.

Jintor

Bernbaum said:
Moments like these when you sit back and take stock of what AusGAF actually is as a thing on the internet. As something that was originally set up to share local industry news; retail bargains and availability of titles, and enjoys a healthy population of diverse personality types and has resulted in several real-world meetups, the whole thing has evolved into something difficult to define and can be a little weird. Not ‘creepy’ weird, but ‘I would have a hard time explaining what this thread is to people on the street’ weird.

Cudos to Serrels (who hopefully isn’t creeped out by seeing his animated personage greeting him everytime he opens this page) for being an on-the-level, rational, motivated journalist who is not above consorting with the proletariat hordes. Cudos to Choc for being a good sport despite his general obliviousness and my inkling that he is probably on better money than a lot of people here and likely carries a title of notable seniority despite his kindergartner-level command of the English language.

5/5 – Kritz.net

It kind of sounds like we're

...friends

*shudders*

Top Bottom