• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hamchan said:
Ok SC2 night woot.

OK I'm in since my nets to shit to watch sc2,

what time?

teams? monobattles? micro wars? 1v1's? or a mini tournament :D ?

and happy birthday aon! Have a splendid evening!

Today i bought some records, fresh prince and jazzy jeff on vinyl? oh yes.

jambo

I suck at Starcraft 2, but I do own it. I haven't played it since it came out though so I'd probably suck too much...

Frawdder

Just finished A Game of Thrones (book, well ebook I guess, on my Kindle). Great stuff and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into A Clash of Kings. I've never been a big book reader but the TV show sparked my interest in it and it has been well worth reading.

Also, I really like reading now as opposed to loathing it before. More things to spend my money on, damn!

legend166

Shaneus said:
Shit, that's cheap.

I don't know much about the Kindle... can it be used to read PDFs at all or do you *have* to get shit from the Amazon store?

With conversions and whatever, you can read basically anything.

legend166

Guys, Shane Warne has turned into a velociraptor:

art-shanewarne-420x0.jpg

Rahk

Decent price for the Kindle, but you can still get the 3G cheaper direct from Amazon. About $206USD for the 3G including shipping, so after conversion it would be a bit less than $200. Not much difference for the wi-fi model, so good on them for pricing it in line with America.

Shaneus said:
Shit, that's cheap.

I don't know much about the Kindle... can it be used to read PDFs at all or do you *have* to get shit from the Amazon store?
It can be used to read PDFs, but it's not very good for that. Why is everyone interested in PDF support anyway? The only time I use PDF is on my computer when I have to download a document or something.

You don't have to buy everything from Amazon though. You can use Calibre to convert any format to the Kindle format, and it works pretty well from my experience. Quick and easy process too.

Fredescu

Rahk said:
It can be used to read PDFs, but it's not very good for that. Why is everyone interested in PDF support anyway? The only time I use PDF is on my computer when I have to download a document or something.
Heaps of stuff comes in PDF, especially study material. What's not good about reading PDFs on them? Can you convert PDFs to something else in Calibre to make it better?

Fredescu said:
Heaps of stuff comes in PDF, especially study material. What's not good about reading PDFs on them? Can you convert PDFs to something else in Calibre to make it better?
Yeah i would love to pick one up especially if i can look at my uni stuff and all the comics i have in cbr format

HolyCheck

reptilescorpio said:
So any race other than terran? /trollface

BURRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

but really, i'm keen, there is GSTL on tonight though, then a boxer / yellow show match, so of those of us that watch sc2.. we should jump on between those two
(probably around 8:30 - 9 - 10:30) and the others should play anyway!

Rahk

Fredescu said:
It's a bit sluggish and the screen is too small for it, so you have to zoom and it takes a while to navigate with the pad. Not sure if it's a limitation with e-ink, or just the Kindle. PDF isn't a good format to convert from since it generally uses special formatting.

See here for more info: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#pdfconversion

jambo said:
Good to see him thinner, but I think he needs to dial it down in regards to the tan haha.
He should keep doing whatever it is that is allowing him to bang liz hurley. Lucky bastard. I must have seen Austin Powers.. twice.

My fiancee' is out for the night and so I don't have anything for dinner. I propose that AusGAF help me decide what to eat. A couple of rules:

1: I will not eat a steaming turd (or equivalent), it has to be edible and delicious.
2: It can't be more than a 30min drive away for me to obtain said dinner.

So what should I have for dinner AusGAF? ;)

user_nat said:
Tag's are overrated.

I'm lying.

rtjn0o.jpg

:(

Happy birthday! What's with the weird colour of the comic?

legend166 said:
Man, the Aussie dollar just fell off a cliff. Down from 1.10 to 1.04.

I hope it doesn't keep falling.

:/

Those travel money cards are looking better now heh

Rezbit said:
Damn I love a shower beer!

lolwtf

legend166 said:
So is Rise of the Planet Apes actually being good the biggest movie surprise of the year?

It's getting great reviews.

Yeah I thought it was going to be a steaming pile of ape poop but apparently it's decent. The first trailer was shite but another one I watched was actually good. It will be the first Apes movie I've seen. ever.

Sutton Dagger said:
My fiancee' is out for the night and so I don't have anything for dinner. I propose that AusGAF help me decide what to eat. A couple of rules:

1: I will not eat a steaming turd (or equivalent), it has to be edible and delicious.

Go to aldi and grab a bag of chips (2 bucks for a kilo) and a pack of steggles chicken kievs. You get 2 of the most fucking tasty kievs on the planet for 6 bucks. There you go, set for TWO dinners. Make sure to apply plenty of chicken salt to the chips once they come out of the oven after 25 mins. So much cheaper and tastier than eating out.

Cohsae

Rez said:
A Clash of Kings is so zzzzzzzzz
I seem to remember enjoying it at first but the last 3rd or so just didn't grab me at all. Especially the outcome at the end of the book. It all just seemed...off I guess.
I also wasn't liking the introduction of a lot more supernatural stuff. Basically Melisandre really. In the world of ASOIAF using magic while everyone else is trying to win by politics/war just seems like cheating.
But Storm of Swords has been pretty great so far so hang in there.

jambo

Fredescu said:
Holy Crap! Neil deGrasse Tyson to host a 13 episode "sequel" to Sagan's Cosmos!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox...-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

JF7L2.gif

Shaneus said:
I need to know more about Sagan. Is it just me or did he not take off at all in Australia? Seems like everyone on GAF loves him except me, who has heard diddly-squat about him.

He was an astronomer, an astrophysicist and one of the greatest teachers in history. His voice is also the most glorious thing I have ever heard in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
I need to know more about Sagan. Is it just me or did he not take off at all in Australia? Seems like everyone on GAF loves him except me, who has heard diddly-squat about him.
He's one of those rare science guys who is also a super great communicator. He wrote some awesome books and did that one TV series. If you're familiar with Neil deGrasse Tyson, he was basically that, but 30 years ago.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sutton Dagger said:

You dont want KFC. You want a beef (or chicken) vindaloo and garlic naan. You'll either cook some rice, or buy some, to have with it. It will be fucking delicious.

Shaneus

Thanks for the pointers, gents! Feel free to set me in the direction of the best of any documentaries/interviews that he has :)

EatChildren said:
You dont want KFC. You want a beef (or chicken) vindaloo and garlic naan. You'll either cook some rice, or buy some, to have with it. It will be fucking delicious.

You can't go passed Kashmiri naan and a mango lassi though. If you're going to buy the curry might as well buy the rice as well :p

Fredescu said:
I think you a word, but this?

g49HJ.jpg

HA! This is fantastic. I grew up in the Shire =/ But fortunately it seems I left before the boganism rubbed off on me... My childhood friends were not so lucky...

EatChildren said:

This man speaks the truth. Vindaloo is the nectar of the gods.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Salazar said:
Fish and chips.

Don't let these folks lead you astray.

Motherfucker now I have to get fish and chips.

Fredescu said:
Is Morgan Freeman an Astrophysicist? Neil deGrasse Tyson is. He won't be reading off a script for dramatic effect.

I know, I am more worried about how the show will be produced. Seth Macfarlane being on board makes me worried that it will be a lot more 'mainstream' in style than I'd like it to be. And I don't mean that in an elitist hipster sense, just concerned about the 'dramatic effect' part.

Cohsae

Speaking of fish & chips and cheap easy food, it's all about Pacific West Tempura battered fish fillets. Like $4 or $5 bucks and you've got 2 meals worth of surprisingly decent fish.
Being a uni student and simultaneously having very little money and very little time to do things other than study (at least at this point in the trimester) has taught me thus.

HolyCheck

AN UPDATE

Optus technician came on Wednesday the 3rd, fixed my socket, fixed the cabling to my MDF, fixed an error at the exchange, then said a telstra tech will have to look at the cabling in the street because there is still a shit load of noise, but that i wont have to be home.

(I can't connect at all atm, no DSL signal)

I just rang up internode then to check if the telstra guy had started anything or was due to start soon (optus tech said 4 days) Internode guy said "He's booked in for the 10th" I said.. do i have to be here? he said let me check... "yes you do" I said fuck.

I've already taken 2 days off from my new job that i've had for 1.5 months (and one of those days no one showed up)

now i can't do the tenth because i'm out of the office at a clients facilities all week. so the only thing I can do is book it for the 17th. and hope to fuck I can take another day off.

I applied for the internet on the 29th. (OF JUNE.)

edit: I'll also mention internode charged and billed me for set up + first month (180~$) already.

Top Bottom