• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

Box of Bunnies said:
The "having sex with Liz Hurley" part might be okay too. Well, maybe ten years ago.

If I had that much money, it would only be the "wow, famous" aspect of Liz that would draw me in.

I think.

elfinke said:
I'd be happy to be the best the world has ever seen at my chosen discipline too.

I've never been able to dissociate his talent from the fact that he's a prick.

Fredescu

Neverender said:
I know, I am more worried about how the show will be produced. Seth Macfarlane being on board makes me worried that it will be a lot more 'mainstream' in style than I'd like it to be. And I don't mean that in an elitist hipster sense, just concerned about the 'dramatic effect' part.
I expect it to be fairly mainstream in style (Cosmos was too for it's time), but I don't think it will lack integrity because of that. We'll see. I guess I have faith in Neil. I can't see a guy like that suffering a bad script. If you have him on board, you're better off saying "The topic is X, go!" and letting him do the thing he does so well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jintor said:
I got El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron code and I am curiously not embargoed on it.

This early?!

Jintor

EatChildren said:
This early?!

I know right? I should clarify I don't have the code, I just played retail code at the publisher office. They're not giving it out yet. Another session next week.

I liked her in Austin Powers and Bedazzled. Then again, I was thirteen at the time.

She was incredible in Bedazzled. Brendan Fraser too. Man, what happened to you, Fraser!

Oh and happy Aonday Aon. You're slightly younger than me, you bastard

Is there any benefit to having more than 4Gb of Ram for PC gaming? I'm thinking about getting an extra 2x4Gb sticks for a total of 12Gb, would I notice a difference?

Gazunta said:
Can someone do today's comic for me I'm going to slzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can't draw for shit, so here's a really bad script instead:

Panel One: Wonder Boy, in one of his animal forms from The Dragon's Trap, stands in a castle. "The last dragon is finally vanquished. At last I shall return to my true form!"
Panel Two: A female dragon, with exaggerated lipstick, eyelashes, etc., explodes in a burst of stars.
Panel Three: Wonder Boy, human again, but now female: "Hang on, that's not right. Are you sure this won't cause problems with DC?"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sutton Dagger said:
Is there any benefit to having more than 4Gb of Ram for PC gaming? I'm thinking about getting an extra 2x4Gb sticks for a total of 12Gb, would I notice a difference?

RAM is extremely useful when doing image, audio and video editing, running multiple applications at once, and rapidly switching between programs. Gaming, however, wont make much use of more than 4GB. In 99% of games having more than 4GB will net you a couple of frames at best, with only the odd exception (GTA4) getting a performance boost, though still nothing overly significant.

Essentially, despite what anybody says, you dont theoretically need more than 4GB of RAM for games, because practically no games actually use that much.

However, it doesn't hurt to future proof, especially with RAM prices as they are, so maybe go for 8GB. You dont need 12GB unless you're using editing software.

Shaneus

Anybody interested in a 5970 or two? What would they be worth second-hand?

My brother's looking at getting rid of his. Non-overclocked, reference, two of them. I don't know if I'm keen on getting one seeing as I already run two 5850s and don't really have room in my case, but anyone here is more than welcome to one or both of them :)

EatChildren said:
RAM is extremely useful when doing image, audio and video editing, running multiple applications at once, and rapidly switching between programs. Gaming, however, wont make much use of more than 4GB. In 99% of games having more than 4GB will net you a couple of frames at best, with only the odd exception (GTA4) getting a performance boost, though still nothing overly significant.

Essentially, despite what anybody says, you dont theoretically need more than 4GB of RAM for games, because practically no games actually use that much.

However, it doesn't hurt to future proof, especially with RAM prices as they are, so maybe go for 8GB. You dont need 12GB unless you're using editing software.

Thanks for all the info mate. So where is the best/cheapest place to get ram them? 2x4Gb seems like the best option.

Salazar

I should be doing hw said:
Does he still have a TV show? That was around the time I stopped watching broadcast televison.

Think it got canned quick.

Started watching Boardwalk Empire.

Kelly MacDonald is gorgeous. My word.

EatChildren

Sutton Dagger said:
Thanks for all the info mate. So where is the best/cheapest place to get ram them? 2x4Gb seems like the best option.

MSY are great for prices. If you'd like it sent to you, PC Case Gear are also nicely affordable with reliable shipping. I've shopped at both quite a bit.

EatChildren said:
MSY are great for prices. If you'd like it sent to you, PC Case Gear are also nicely affordable with reliable shipping. I've shopped at both quite a bit.

I found this website (someone on Whirlpool mentioned it), anyone had any experience with them? They have this Ram for only $62 (then $15 for shipping) which comes to $77 for 2x4Gb Corsair Ram? Is that the best deal I'm going to find?

AusQB

Sutton Dagger said:
I found this website (someone on Whirlpool mentioned it), anyone had any experience with them? They have this Ram for only $62 (then $15 for shipping) which comes to $77 for 2x4Gb Corsair Ram? Is that the best deal I'm going to find?
I'd say that's a good deal. I paid $89 before shipping for my 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance pack.

On closer inspection, it seems that exact model is the same price.

Shaneus

Sutton Dagger said:
How much was it at MSY? Those IT stores (ie. the ones I'm not familiar with) seem like they're a dime a dozen and might take a while to ship (or be dodgy with warranty)... if you're not saving that much, go for MSY or PCCG. I can vouch for PCCG's shipping times, they're fucking quick.

AusQB

Shaneus said:
How much was it at MSY? Those IT stores (ie. the ones I'm not familiar with) seem like they're a dime a dozen and might take a while to ship (or be dodgy with warranty)... if you're not saving that much, go for MSY or PCCG. I can vouch for PCCG's shipping times, they're fucking quick.
I bought my parts from PCCG and I agree they are great.

jambo

PCCG are great, heartily recommended.

MSY have some great prices, but I've heard a lot of horror stories from customers.

So optus 3g has a drop out between 6:30pm and 10:30pm. Nice. Time to go into the store every day and bitch and moan until they do something about it. I would like to browse the net after work.

Also Warnie is a national treasure and you are all meanies. The dude is getting old, course he would have a chicken neck. At least he is aging better than scotty cummings. Still startles me how huge he got.

Shaneus

Living in Melbourne, they're even better. If the item's in stock (even something as massive as a case) you'll usually get it within 24 hours. I placed one of my orders in the morning and it was with the courier the next day.

Shaneus said:

Oh man, thanks so much. I double checked the Ram and both MSY and PCCG (MSY don't do online shipping) and it turns out I was looking at the wrong (read, more expensive) Ram on PCCG. If this is the right ram, then it comes to $76 shipped (with 1-2 days for delivery for express).

Can anyone help me confirm THIS is the right ram for the 2011 iMac?

Edit: Damn wrong one again. Apparently I need SO-DIMMS. So that will come to $82 shipped from PCCG

Also who can recommend me a super cheap, super good adsl2+ modem. I already have a wireless router so I dont really need a fancy modem. Just enough to get me online as the consoles will be near the pc.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Also who can recommend me a super cheap, super good adsl2+ modem. I already have a wireless router so I dont really need a fancy modem. Just enough to get me online as the consoles will be near the pc.
I have two here. But that's probably no good for you.

yesssss. I just got into Pottermore. Today is a good day :p

yaaay more things to distract me from uni...

EDIT: Did that kid REALLY write that letter? I'm impressed.

Salazar said:
I was supposed to go to a late seminar today, but after the first one I just put my head down and power-walked to the bus.

I'm being a terrible student :( I have one tute early on tuesday mornings and when I alarm went off I sort of dangled my foot out of bed, realised it was freezing and went back to sleep until after the tute finished. Two weeks into my second year and my fantastic track record of going to class just falls to pieces... I feel like I've now completed a right of passage... but in a bad way... my GPA....

Salazar

I'm thinking of limiting my attendance to talks delivered by people I know and like, or who are famous.

I also fell asleep on the train this morning. Snoozed past Central. Woke up well on my way to the airport.

There's are certain knack to sleeping on public transport, where you're kind of still half awake-but-not-quite. It helps when your catching the bus as well. The trains a bit too smooth.

I don't think I have the willpower to miss classes, simply because I'm too lazy to catch up and none of my classes do lectopia (Plus I want my 10% attendance!). But when its cold, and its 2 hours commuting there and back for a one hour tute sleeping in is much more enticing :p

First of all, what are you losers still doing awake? Second of all, how on Earth did I manage to max out everything in the 3DS Mii Plaza? Third of all, my wife (it's still a little weird calling her that) is pressuring me to start reading ASOIAF, but is it really worth it?

Salazar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
First of all, what are you losers still doing awake? Second of all, how on Earth did I manage to max out everything in the 3DS Mii Plaza? Third of all, my wife (it's still a little weird calling her that) is pressuring me to start reading ASOIAF, but is it really worth it?

A) Watched some Boardwalk Empire, some Shaun of the Dead on tv, and read some Dresden Files.

B) I don't know what the mii plaza is.

C) Your wife is good people. Obey. Also read Alison Weir's history of the War of the Roses. I may not have as much authority as your wife, but I am also correct.

I actually have no idea what I'm still doing up. I was doing some study and then I just got lost on gaf..

I too am being pressured into reading ASOIAF. Here's hoping its worthwhile, for both our sakes. (Or just watch the tv show? :p)

War of the Roses, eh? I'm a bit of a history nut, so I'll look into it (once I've cleared my backlog - I've finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo and apparently have the whole of ASOIAF ahead of me).

Yeah, bedtime for me too. Trawling through 2000 wedding pics and picking out the ones that are worthy of framing is a laborious task.

it's just started raining here. Forecast for the next week looks kinda shit. Bit of a shame, but I guess I shouldn'tve expected this week's great weather to keep up. Fine, late teens/early twenties with a smattering of clouds here and there is pretty much my perfect weather, brilliant for just being comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

Of course it was going to get bad again before it got worse. Foresee magpies in my future.

jambo

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. Buying a HDD in the morning and then heading off to have a look at a house we might move in to. Hopefully all goes well.

Top Bottom