• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Bernbaum

Turns out every unsolicited transaction made on my credit card a fortnight ago went through. The Bank isbeing reasonably understanding but it will take a month for them to investigate and resolve the issue.

Merely an inconvenience, and it's been cathartic in a way going back to a life without a credit card. Yes, I can still do online shopping, but because of the extra hassle, I notice I've only gone out of my way to get one thing - music on iTunes.

Yes, this is me looking for the silver lining in credit card fraud!

Anyone got any experience with GPS datalogger devices? I bought one about 5 years ago (and still have it, and it still works just fine), but I'm looking at buying another one.

Have there been any outstanding GPS datalogger devices with fancy features released recently that I missed? The Qstarz BT Q1000eX looks interesting, but I don't need 5 updates a second logged as it's mainly for geotagging of photos.

Choc

Banned
i haven't eaten a banana in ages like months

they are yellow gold at the moment.

edit: baby monkey, grab a banana, smash some pumpkins

Choc said:
i haven't eaten a banana in ages like months

they are yellow gold at the moment.

edit: baby monkey, grab a banana, smash some pumpkins
Woulda been a great investment to chuck a few trees in the backyard and make a bit of cash on the side of the road

Gazunta

$14 a kilo for bananas

this country is FUCKED

um

news.com.au

etc.

So guys, what are your thoughts about why The Renovators is going to tank hard. I think it's because renovating is hard work. Or maybe because all the contestants are ugly as sin.

Even my wife, who treats Brendan Moar with the kind of wide-eyed TV lust that I
used to
look at Ricki Lee with, can't be bothered watching it. Just what is broken about it? I'm generally curious as someone who likes to study why things 'take off' and other things don't.

Choc

Banned
i don't mind renovators but unlike masterchef i have zero want to be a handy man (although i do, but i know i would suck...)

There are also some other key facts as to why Renovators does not appeal to Aussies like mchef did

1. The people on the show are already proven renovators/home decorators and are already in the industry. It's not a rags to riches thing, or career change thing. I get why because of the cost of property but thats a big thing with Mchef, home cooks turning into 'chefs'.

2. I think in general Australians are over hearing about property and how expensive it is and how lucrative it is. Until such time people can afford housing without 2 minute noodles in Australian cities, this will not appeal to them.

3. Renovation in general terms i think is seen by most people (aside from those who do it and are good at it) as one reason why we have ridiculous house prices in Australia and also the fact we have so much focus on property in this country.

You go to Europe (before GFC even) and there was hardly any focus on housing because unlike Australian its seen as a basic necessity and treated as so. It's not seen as a pathway to easy millions (if played right) or 'oh my gosh the best investment ever is property' like it is here. It's seen as something you need to have rather than want to have. It's a massive issue in Australia right now and I think a lot people believe shows like the block and renovators are contributing to it (and they are right in a small way).

The block was a success however, but again its amatuers not people already doing it to an extent.

The other thing about the renovators is that its so fucking unstructured its not funny. They have tried to apply the mchef formula to houses (right down to how-to show on Friday) and it just does not work. They are supposed to be building these 6 houses to sell but in the episodes we have seen so far, we have probably seen 20 mins of the houses if that. It's been on two weeks.

Tonight they visit the houses for the first time (which have changes done apparently) but we have not seen those changes done? It's totally missing the mark. We are not seeing those houses change. We are seeing bullshit challenges to win money for those houses but we don't see them change.....

Also, the people on the show come across as arrogant people, a lot of them. None of them are likeable, like the guys on masterchef generally are. There is no marion or jay or even kate on renovators.

edit: How long until we hear of people getting reamed by margin calls on the market again?

and this time do they have an excuse? because any one that LVR'd 95% margins after 2008 is a moron.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mother fuckers how can you fuck up setting up your email on an iPad.

Me: Now can hit the home button on the iPad and get back to the homescreen.
Them: Where's the button on the iPad.

20 minutes later fixed their email on the iPad. >____________________________>

senahorse

Gazunta said:
$14 a kilo for bananas

this country is FUCKED

um

news.com.au

etc.

So guys, what are your thoughts about why The Renovators is going to tank hard. I think it's because renovating is hard work. Or maybe because all the contestants are ugly as sin.

Even my wife, who treats Brendan Moar with the kind of wide-eyed TV lust that I
used to
look at Ricki Lee with, can't be bothered watching it. Just what is broken about it? I'm generally curious as someone who likes to study why things 'take off' and other things don't.
Might have something to do with the financial situation people seem to be in lately, partly due to the current price of housing and the mortgage stress brought on by this. That as well as the threat of another possible recession, people are probably trying to be more careful with their spending. People generally watch tv to escape, being reminded of such things doesn't help. Just an idea, probably has nothing to do with it and more to do with reality tv burnout. But what would I know, my partner and I dont watch television at all :)

Choc said:
i don't mind renovators but unlike masterchef i have zero want to be a handy man (although i do, but i know i would suck...)

There are also some other key facts as to why Renovators does not appeal to Aussies like mchef did

1. The people on the show are already proven renovators/home decorators and are already in the industry. It's not a rags to riches thing, or career change thing. I get why because of the cost of property but thats a big thing with Mchef, home cooks turning into 'chefs'.

2. I think in general Australians are over hearing about property and how expensive it is and how lucrative it is. Until such time people can afford housing without 2 minute noodles in Australian cities, this will not appeal to them.

3. Renovation in general terms i think is seen by most people (aside from those who do it and are good at it) as one reason why we have ridiculous house prices in Australia and also the fact we have so much focus on property in this country.

You go to Europe (before GFC even) and there was hardly any focus on housing because unlike Australian its seen as a basic necessity and treated as so. It's not seen as a pathway to easy millions (if played right) or 'oh my gosh the best investment ever is property' like it is here. It's seen as something you need to have rather than want to have. It's a massive issue in Australia right now and I think a lot people believe shows like the block and renovators are contributing to it (and they are right in a small way).

The block was a success however, but again its amatuers not people already doing it to an extent.

The other thing about the renovators is that its so fucking unstructured its not funny. They have tried to apply the mchef formula to houses (right down to how-to show on Friday) and it just does not work. They are supposed to be building these 6 houses to sell but in the episodes we have seen so far, we have probably seen 20 mins of the houses if that. It's been on two weeks.

Tonight they visit the houses for the first time (which have changes done apparently) but we have not seen those changes done? It's totally missing the mark. We are not seeing those houses change. We are seeing bullshit challenges to win money for those houses but we don't see them change.....

Also, the people on the show come across as arrogant people, a lot of them. None of them are likeable, like the guys on masterchef generally are. There is no marion or jay or even kate on renovators.

Not sure there is too much else to ad, choc nailed it with this post.

Choc

Banned
SHOCK

Telstra 4G (LTE) pricing NOT SHIT

$49 for 7gb

wont' be available till consumers until later this year though. Business, now.

Choc

Banned
Question: if the housing market takes a fucking beating in Aus which could happen in the 14 weeks reno is on and they all make a loss

do they get nothing?

Yagharek

Dear AusGAF,

Today I discovered my MacBook pro can share an ethernet connection via air port. So now, in the middle of nowhere, I can get my 3DS ambassador status confirmed. Saves me relying on auspost back to Perth with a time limit before august 12.

Oh and I get Xevious 3D classic too.

A good day all round.

Omi said:
Pass.

maggot.jpg

http://www.aktifmag.com/part-2-if-famous-thinkers-quoted-herald-sun-readers/

:lol

Forgot for a sec the premise of this and thought someone was saying that about Nelson Mandela lol.

Jintor

Goddamnit Nintendo RELEASE MORE CRAP ON THE E-SHOP I ACTUALLY WANT TO IMPULSE BUY

The only thing I half-want on there is all the electroplanktons and xevious, but... eh...

jambo

Megadrive said:
I can't help but feel it's "cool" to hate on the herald sun and people who do feel like they're superior to people who read it. It's as bad as hating on someone for hating the band you like. It's asinine and childish.

mXf7Bh.jpg

Banana prices should be coming down in the next couple of months, sizes will be a bit small at first. Just happened to hear a radio interview about it during the week heh.

Fredescu

Megadrive said:
It's as bad as hating on someone for hating the band you like.
It's nothing like that. This is about the ideological filter through which someone recieves the news about the world, not a subjective issue of taste.

Dead Man

Megadrive said:
I can't help but feel it's "cool" to hate on the herald sun and people who do feel like they're superior to people who read it. It's as bad as hating on someone for hating the band you like. It's asinine and childish.
No. People that read the HeraldSun are bad, and you should feel bad for even thinking it is just a question of taste. They lack the ability to apply reason, and the paper encourages that.

jambo said:
http://i.imgur.com/mXf7Bh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Is that real? Holy shit!!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind, a lot of people who read the Hearld Sun do so because it's in a smaller, easier to read format. It isn't about the opinions to them, it's just about getting the news, or reading something on the way into work.

I read The Age on my iPad. Fuck broadsheet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:
Keep in mind, a lot of people who read the Hearld Sun do so because it's in a smaller, easier to read format. It isn't about the opinions to them, it's just about getting the news, or reading something on the way into work.

I read The Age on my iPad. Fuck broadsheet.

This. The Herald Sun might be toilet paper in content but its the right size for reading, and I guaranty this is why a lot of people read it. The broadsheet design of The Age is inexcusably awful and detrimental to getting people to read it.

Firstly I'd just like to point out that the world without the the Herald Sun would be much better place, but the flashboards are purely designed to sell papers. If people didn't lap that kind of bullshit up, they wouldn't put it on there.

Also the Age is a bizarre paper. It's the only paper I've seen that has decided a theatre review deserves to be on page two or three. Ridiculous Melbourne snootery. That said, if Queensland had a version of the Age I would buy it every day, and as a journalist I'd take a job at the Age (or SMH or even Brisbane Times) every day of the week.

And yeah, broadsheets are dumb.

Salazar

Sunday Times (UK) on iPad is revelatory.

Considering I used to have to go to the UK and bag a table to myself in a pub to properly enjoy it. Which is still the superior experience, but the iPad version is very fine.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm pretty sure any of you guys would fuck the Jesus out of Rikki Lee if you had the chance.

Unless of course you're gay, then you're excused.

markot

Banned
I need a 6+2 connector for my pc and my new graphics card >_< Why the hell the stupid card didnt come with that and comes with another 6pin connector that I have dozens of >_>....

Does MSY stock em?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What's everyone's secret to an awesome sandwich or roll? Basic ingredients being some salad and a bit of meat. I'm
Trying to figure out what else I should add to my basic lettuce, cheese, ham and tomato lunch.

I had something in sydney at the airport and it was awesome, had similar basic ingredients but it may have had mayo or something like that added to it which gave it an awesome flavour.

I just walked from work in malvern to the caulfield station, went a more direct approach than I usually take with a hint of quicker walking added. 23 minutes in total compared to my morning walk of close to 30. If I can somehow get that down to 20 minutes then If the train is running on time I could get home earlier.

evlcookie said:
What's everyone's secret to an awesome sandwich or roll? Basic ingredients being some salad and a bit of meat. I'm
Trying to figure out what else I should add to my basic lettuce, cheese, ham and tomato lunch.

I had something in sydney at the airport and it was awesome, had similar basic ingredients but it may have had mayo or something like that added to it which gave it an awesome flavour.
Raw onion

Dead Man

Rye bread, swiss cheese, mustard, pastrami. Sandwich of the gods.

Also whole egg mayonnaise on any other sandwich if you are not watching your weight. So good.

Choc is a smart guy. Also evrryone is already watching the block. Why would they watch renovators too?

Also Hex is meh.

Also white bread, sweet chili tuna, mayo andcheese.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I would like to watch my weight, there goes the mayo. Although compared to what I might eat it's probably better for me in general. Guess I need to get out the old calorie counter and see what she says.

I should have gotten on that bus, get me home 10 minutes earlier, doh.

Top Bottom