• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Deeku

jambo said:
But what about the paper one? You don't have to do it on a PC.
PC isn't really the biggest issue. They're just daunted by forms since their English isn't good.

Choc that's crazy!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jambo said:
You didn't vote so you're not allowed to complain about any political issues until you vote at the next election =P

But how else will I be a lazy self entitled whining Australian?

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
PC isn't really the biggest issue. They're just daunted by forms since their English isn't good.

Choc that's crazy!

not really

its not that hard and unlike voting in many ways, the census actually does useful shit.

if your population has tripled in the last 5 years they will build schools near you etc.

Gazunta

I'm actually surprised there aren't versions of the Census in other languages. I would have thought that would have been a no brainer, at least for the most popular two or three of them.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
I'm actually surprised there aren't versions of the Census in other languages. I would have thought that would have been a no brainer, at least for the most popular two or three of them.

yes but then Gaz when the ABS hires data entry people for six months or whatever to enter the forms they would have to pay a higher wage to get people who can interpret foreign language.

ASX down 218 points in opening 50 minutes

its going to be a long day on the markets

senahorse

Fredescu said:
Those aren't "15 year loans" as such, they're 15 year fixed rate periods of home loans. That is, when the 15 years are up, you revert to whatever the standard variable rate is on the day. But yeah, I didn't realise they were doing fixed terms of longer than 5. The rates are pretty terrible obviously.

That makes sense, I have only been looking into variable rate loans for myself.

Agyar

jambo said:
So who put Jedi as their religion?

Don't do that. Responding with junk only gives Christian lobby groups more clout when they try to influence government policy. If you don't practice a religion, put "no religion" so the government can stop being able to justify policies of discrimination by citing Australia as a country of "Christian values".

Edit: Bernbaumed.

Clipper

EatChildren said:
But how else will I be a lazy self entitled whining Australian?
By asking for the postal vote form before the election, then sending it in without marking anything except forging the witness signature?

Please Note: The above joke does not represent the true views or prioriteies of Clipper. Act responsibly when voting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A Jedi census landslide is all fun and games until it actually starts influencing Australia and good honest Sith become poor Aussie battlers.

To be fair, I don't really need or want anything except for expensive things. Most of which you'd probably buy locally anyway.

Edit: However I did want that nice GPS datalogger, so I guess I lost out there.

Clipper

Gazunta said:
In communities where there is a large amount of non-English speakers of particular languages, the census collectors will sit and help you fill it in and there's a hotline you can call to have people walk you through the questions if your community doesn't have such translators.

I assume the reason they don't want to do the forms themselves in other languages is to make it easier to collect and collate the data. If the forms were written in a language other than English, so would the responses, which makes it harder for those digitising the information.

commanderdeek said:
So it looks like we're almost below parity.

Party's over guys:(

Bit of a bummer, but not too horrible for me. The above-parity's been nice, but as long as we don't fall too far below I don't mind too much.

Only a few more things I want to import for the rest of the year anyway.

Aon

The fire dept are reporting falling water pressure, so it seems even natural resources are buckling under this insanity.

Also that Sony distribution plant fire is beyond anything else. The video of that is incredible.

jambo

Aon said:
Also that Sony distribution plant fire is beyond anything else. The video of that is incredible.

lixYe.jpg

.__.

Choc

Banned
expect PS3 shortages in Europe etc

Not that it matters, in the grand scheme of things, but that sony thing going down is kinda bad :|

trinest

Even though we are under polarity again for the USD, we are still acceptably strong with the pound which is where I do all my shopping anyway.

Aon

Choc said:
expect PS3 shortages in Europe etc

Not that it matters, in the grand scheme of things, but that sony thing going down is kinda bad :|

As I posted in another thread, the plant doesn't actually deal with Playstation distribution. It is primarily and as far as I understand, entirely about CD distribution.

Not that it matters either way. Seems the police are having some luck pushing protesters back utilising armoured vehicles, so hopefully these riots won't reemerge tomorrow night.

Again, not that it matters, but it's interesting to think about how this current pandemonium will influence next year's Olympic Games.

hamchan

I hope all these looters are caught, pretty crazy what's happening over there.

Imagine if all the bogans in Sydney rioted all at once, we'd be screwed.

Choc

Banned
trinest said:
Even though we are under polarity again for the USD, we are still acceptably strong with the pound which is where I do all my shopping anyway.

World markets work in stupid ways. US economy is fucked and going to the shitter but is seen as a safe currency to invest in? Australian economy is somewhat stronger due to China and is seen as a bad currency

wat

markot

Banned
hamchan said:
I hope all these looters are caught, pretty crazy what's happening over there.

Imagine if all the bogans in Sydney rioted all at once, we'd be screwed.
Yeah >.<

Police are just outnumbered over there, they cant respond to all the stuff, and the rioters can organise easily and move around, start new trouble.

I hate seeing that kind of stuff though, it just makes me angry, its such herd like behaviour and makes me wonder how big the line between civilisation and everyone going mental is >.>

Dead Man

markot said:
Yeah >.<

Police are just outnumbered over there, they cant respond to all the stuff, and the rioters can organise easily and move around, start new trouble.

I hate seeing that kind of stuff though, it just makes me angry, its such herd like behaviour and makes me wonder how big the line between civilisation and everyone going mental is >.>
Thin. Very fucking thin.

legend166

Choc said:
World markets work in stupid ways. US economy is fucked and going to the shitter but is seen as a safe currency to invest in? Australian economy is somewhat stronger due to China and is seen as a bad currency

wat

I think basically it's a double whammy, from what I can gather.

- When there's instability in the economy, people like to invest is safe things. So they get out of forex and put it into gold.

- It's basically guaranteed that we're getting an interest rate cut soon. So less reason to invest in Australia.

Fredescu

Choc said:

wat
No. Currency investments in general are seen as "risky" and the USD is the benchmark because of global reach. People are getting rid of their more risky invesments (foreign currency) and buying up less risky investments (gold) with the default currency (USD). This isn't AUD vs USD, it's AUD huge pool of other investments.

edit: beaten by an AFL supporter

Choc said:

wat

Having the dollar below parity isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It sucks if you want to import, but for export industries it will be a god send. Hey, we might even see a bunch of miners stop whinging about the carbon tax as now their goods will look more attractive overseas thanks to the low dollar.

roosters93 said:
Nice of the dollar to tank just before I go overseas. :/

look into a Cash Passport or a CommBank travelcard. you can at least hedge against it falling too much more

(yes the rates aren't that great but they are better than you'll get once you travel)

The currency thing is people buying gold rather than than buying US dollars. It'll probably turn around in a few weeks once investors balls drop and they look at which economies are more fucked than others (I'm not from the future so don't blame me if it keeps falling).

PREDICTION: Over the next few weeks, lots of sales talking about BEAT THE PRICE RISE

Fredescu

markot said:
"Every society is only three meals away from anarchy" is a pretty common quote, but I can't find who said it.

Top Bottom