• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

FallbackPants said:
Having the dollar below parity isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It sucks if you want to import, but for export industries it will be a god send. Hey, we might even see a bunch of miners stop whinging about the carbon tax as now their goods will look more attractive overseas thanks to the low dollar.

Bu bu bu but I want to buy cheap games and movies

;)

ClivePwned said:
look into a Cash Passport or a CommBank travelcard. you can at least hedge against it falling too much more

Yeah I was going to get one of those but decided not to because the fees were greater than using my normal Mastercard debit card. Now I'm a bit annoyed at myself.

Jintor

The thing these riots are really bringing to mind is the stuff from Night Watch (Terry Pratchett) about the police only really being able to operate with the consent of the public. If you prove yourself powerless...

roosters93 said:
Yeah I was going to get one of those but decided not to because the fees were greater than using my normal Mastercard debit card. Now I'm a bit annoyed at myself.

My girlfriend got one last week with $1000 AU on it (can't remember how much US). :)

Fredescu

When things bottom out, the dollar will start creeping up again. This isn't the new normal. Unless something catastrophic happens to us specifically during this crash, we're still basically in better shape than the US, and that will be reflected in the dollar when the panic subsides.

Rezbit

Economics is scary. Especially for an ignoramus such as myself. How shit in the US affects our business over here and makes our dollar lose 10c to the US dollar is crazy. No doubt Choc can shed some light on the issue.

legend166

So it looks like a lot of the riots in London are happening in Clapham. Which is where my cousin lives, and where I was staying a couple of months ago.

It was gross enough without riots, I can't imagine what that place looks like now.

Deeku

Fredescu said:
When things bottom out, the dollar will start creeping up again. This isn't the new normal. Unless something catastrophic happens to us specifically during this crash, we're still basically in better shape than the US, and that will be reflected in the dollar when the panic subsides.

bah I was just typing the exact same thing!

But yeah, it's all just panic from the US downgrade and concern of where global growth will come from. Things have already begun to settle down anyway.

Fredescu said:

BUT WHENNN

Choc

Banned
Rezbit said:
Economics is scary. Especially for an ignoramus such as myself. How shit in the US affects our business over here and makes our dollar lose 10c to the US dollar is crazy. No doubt Choc can shed some light on the issue.

Not sure if serious but its globalization.

US is seen as the number 1 economy in the world and so investment in US Treasury Bonds is seen as a secure investment. As Bernake said the other day, the US will never default. We will just print more money to pay the bills.

So by investing in US Treasury Bonds which have a yield rate of 2.5% despite being low, it still remains a very secure investment.

The Australian dollar is a very volatile currency. When the going gets good, AU Dollar does well and we have been helped by the fact our interest rates have been sky high compared to the rest of the developed world.

Also we are a very resource driven economy. If people aren't building things, then resources are not needed and thus the price on the market of resources drops and our economy becomes less attractive.

The big problem about this new GFC if it happens is that its Governments. 2008 was business that the Governments bailed out however the Governments are now in trouble BECAUSE they bailed out the businesses and went into massive debt to do so. So who saves the Governments? No one can and that is the issue.

If we let the 'too big to fail' companies fail we would have had huge pain for a period of time, but the Governments of the world including the Eurozone wouldn't be as fucked as they are now. But we didn't let them fail and now the EU and US are paying the price.

The big problem with Europe is the Euro. The Eurozone has allowed nations with high debt and weak economies join the currency and now the strong economies including Germany are paying the price.

The reason the Swiss and UK are not fucked is because they didn't take the Euro. They are screwed just not as much, and will be ok through this. Germany on the other hand is screwed, and from what I hear want to bring the Deutsche mark back asap. The Euro as a currency is a failure, because the EU let nations they probably shouldn't have in to the currency when their economies were on unstable ground.

Thats how i read it, but i am no economist, just read the fin review and read a bit of market analysis.

Choc

Banned
smh

the market has almost fully recovered its loss from today

anyone that shorted just made a shit ton of money today

edit: We lost parity about 10 minutes ago

Deeku

We lost parity briefly before midday and it's been up and down all day. Right now we are still above.

And I don't think you mean shorted, because you only gain from shorting when markets go down. Since they've recovered, they would have lost some of that gain. But I doubt anyone is shorting or longing, everyone is scared and running for cover.

Edit:
Jintor said:
God, I'll never understand economics.

I should really make a concentrated effort one day...
Heh, yeah I hate economics. General macro stuff is alright, but shit gets really confusing past 2nd year subjects.

jambo

Radelaide isn't a place, it's a state of mind.

deWYw.jpg

Jintor said:
God, I'll never understand economics.

I should really make a concentrated effort one day...

I tried once. I studied it at uni for about a year. I found the theory to be really, really interesting, but the actual mathematical applications of them all to be ridiculously dry. Like wheat bix without milk levels of dry.

But I barely passed Maths B at school, so that would probably explain it

Rezbit

Was actually being serious Choc, you may rant, but you seem to know stuff about stuff!

Also apparently Holly Valance recreated that scene from Goldfinger with the golden chick on the bed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For the first time in a long ass while, maybe even a first time I don't know how I can actually do my job. They got rid of 2 people and put me in place of those so i guess I'm expected to do 2 people's jobs.

I just noticed that I have another 30 machines I need to run up when I thought I was close to being done.

I'm screwed.

markot

Banned
*Refreshes Gmail

*Refreshes Gmail

*Refreshes Gmail

*Refreshes Gmail

*Refreshes Gmail

*Refreshes Gmail

Ship my crap you bastards >_<!

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
We lost parity briefly before midday and it's been up and down all day. Right now we are still above.

And I don't think you mean shorted, because you only gain from shorting when markets go down. Since they've recovered, they would have lost some of that gain. But I doubt anyone is shorting or longing, everyone is scared and running for cover.

Edit:

Heh, yeah I hate economics. General macro stuff is alright, but shit gets really confusing past 2nd year subjects.

deek there is no other explanation that the market recovered so quickly. It's ridiculous. People divested billions of dollars of shares very quickly this morning which tanked the market and are now buying back at lower prices

that is called shorting the market (i think). You are creating an artificial boom and bust on the market by the fact you can sell so much shit @ the same time.

Choc

Banned
Ventron said:
I get paid in USD for my games' royalties, so there's still one upside for me in the AUD sliding.

Speaking of which, the Scottish Starer featured my next game, even though you can't buy it in Australia, but any publicity is good publicity nonetheless:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/show-and-tell/

why cant you buy in Aus

COB? ABN?

also

What you do is sell someone a stock for "100 dollars" then when the price goes down to "80" you buy it and give the stock to them for "100"
There by making 20 dollars

Explanation of shorting. Exactly what happened today. Won't be long until ASIC bans it on the ASX again temporarily if it keeps up.

Deeku

It's just market correction. People lose their shit over news and lose confidence so they sell. But then you get other investors coming in looking for bargains, which drives prices back up. This keeps going until a sort of equilibrium is reached which reflect fundamentals rather than reactions to events.

Shorting creates bubbles, yes. But shorting is basically selling something you don't own in the hope to buy it back in the future for less, hence making a profit. People only short something when they believe it will fall.

Note: I am not an expert either lol

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
It's just market correction. People lose their shit over news and lose confidence so they sell. But then you get other investors coming in looking for bargains, which drives prices back up. This keeps going until a sort of equilibrium is reached which reflect fundamentals rather than reactions to events.

Shorting creates bubbles, yes. But shorting is basically selling something you don't own in the hope to buy it back in the future for less, hence making a profit. People only short something when they believe it will fall.

Note: I am not an expert either lol

given that the prediction was @ least a 5% fall today and carnage on the markets, i'd say the shorters were in fine form today ;)

Fredescu

Choc said:
deek there is no other explanation that the market recovered so quickly. It's ridiculous. People divested billions of dollars of shares very quickly this morning which tanked the market and are now buying back at lower prices

that is called shorting the market (i think).
Shorting won't stop things dropping. The "market recovered so quickly" (lol, it didn't) because people use their own valuation methods to determine that many stocks are now undervalued and represent good buying.

markot

Banned
Why doesnt Hori sell their decent stuff in Australia?

Instead we go to EB and Game and even JB and are confounded by the numerocity of terrible cheap (Quality) and awful stuff >.<

Choc

Banned
how is abc 24 NOT running live BBC/SKY UK coverage on London

the place is being torn apart and they aren't showing it live. Wonder if Sky News Aus is

Deeku

Choc said:
given that the prediction was @ least a 5% fall today and carnage on the markets, i'd say the shorters were in fine form today ;)
I'm not 100% certain, but that wouldn't happen either. Because when you're shorting, someone has to take the other side of the trade. If everyone knows its going to tank, everyone will just sell and not let you borrow shares to short.

Man this is too intense, NO MORE SERIOUS ECONOMIC DISCUSSIONS!

Choc

Banned
Australian shares made a remarkable turnaround to be flat after falling as much as five per cent during the morning.

At 1445 AEST, the benchmark SP/ASX200 index was up 2.8 points, or 0.07 per cent, at 3,988.9, while the broader All Ordinaries index was down 8.1 points at 4,048.6 compared with Monday's close

Recovered todays loss Fred

Fredescu

Choc said:
Want to explain why you think this? Have you read up on CFDs?

Choc said:
Recovered todays loss Fred
Which is a fraction of the total loss over the last few days.

markot

Banned
Shut up about the stupid economy >_< Its all I hear on the news and net and its soooooo boring.

And stupid.

I mean, a small war with China, lets free tibet, those stupid hippies can finally put their money where their mouth is! Problems? solved!

Top Bottom