• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Deeku

Fredescu said:
It's a nice way of avoiding the much more uncomfortable news of the London riots.
Yeah, too be honest I haven't paid any attention to the riots. It's only been the financial news I've paid attention to for the past few days.

Feel kinda bad.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I haven't paid attention to any of it. Yay me.

Does Anyone know of any studies regarding power usage in a home and the cost difference between leaving appliances on and turning them off at the wall / pulling out the plug?

There's bound to be some out there but it would be nice to skip over the bullshit.

Dead Man

evlcookie said:
I haven't paid attention to any of it. Yay me.

Does Anyone know of any studies regarding power usage in a home and the cost difference between leaving appliances on and turning them off at the wall / pulling out the plug?

There's bound to be some out there but it would be nice to skip over the bullshit.
I've seen a few things around, most seem to float around the 10% value for energy consumed by appliances in standby mode. As in 10% of household energy. I generally turn stuff off at the wall now, but haven't noticed any dramatic reduction in electricity bill.

jambo

We turn the TV off using the physical power button on the side of the TV, instead of using the remote. Will it still use power? The power switch is behind the entertainment unit so it'd be annoying as hell to have to turn it off at the switch every day.

Choc said:
Not sure if serious but its globalization.

US is seen as the number 1 economy in the world and so investment in US Treasury Bonds is seen as a secure investment. As Bernake said the other day, the US will never default. We will just print more money to pay the bills.

So by investing in US Treasury Bonds which have a yield rate of 2.5% despite being low, it still remains a very secure investment.

The Australian dollar is a very volatile currency. When the going gets good, AU Dollar does well and we have been helped by the fact our interest rates have been sky high compared to the rest of the developed world.

Also we are a very resource driven economy. If people aren't building things, then resources are not needed and thus the price on the market of resources drops and our economy becomes less attractive.

The big problem about this new GFC if it happens is that its Governments. 2008 was business that the Governments bailed out however the Governments are now in trouble BECAUSE they bailed out the businesses and went into massive debt to do so. So who saves the Governments? No one can and that is the issue.

If we let the 'too big to fail' companies fail we would have had huge pain for a period of time, but the Governments of the world including the Eurozone wouldn't be as fucked as they are now. But we didn't let them fail and now the EU and US are paying the price.

The big problem with Europe is the Euro. The Eurozone has allowed nations with high debt and weak economies join the currency and now the strong economies including Germany are paying the price.

The reason the Swiss and UK are not fucked is because they didn't take the Euro. They are screwed just not as much, and will be ok through this. Germany on the other hand is screwed, and from what I hear want to bring the Deutsche mark back asap. The Euro as a currency is a failure, because the EU let nations they probably shouldn't have in to the currency when their economies were on unstable ground.

Thats how i read it, but i am no economist, just read the fin review and read a bit of market analysis.
Translation: EVERYTHING IS FUCKED. BURN THIS SHIT TO THE GROUND AND LETS GO BACK TO LIVING IN CAVES AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF DINOSAURS FOR FOOD
Well, at least that is what I think of the whole world economy thing. Would miss my vidyagames

Dead Man

jambo said:
We turn the TV off using the physical power button on the side of the TV, instead of using the remote. Will it still use power? The power switch is behind the entertainment unit so it'd be annoying as hell to have to turn it off at the switch every day.
Nah, that should be fine. It's mainly about killing all the leds and whatnot. I keep a few things like my TV, PS3 and DVD player plugged into a power board, so I can just disconnect that when I'm done.

Choc

Banned
well at least someone is getting rich

http://www.thewallstreetexperience.com/tours.php#FinancialCrisisTour

This tour combines Wall Street's history with exciting first hand accounts of the Financial Crisis. Tours feature the following:
Get the inside story. Hear first hand accounts of the events of the financial crisis and how some traders made billion dollar profits while some banks collapsed!
Learn about the shadow banking system that the government ignored until it was too late. Gain a deeper understanding of the financial markets and recent financial innovations.
What is it like being a Wall Street Trader? Learn about the trading culture and lifestyle.
Discover the Financial District's rich history, architecture and trivia. See the skyscraper race within the concrete jungle.
What is a (CDO) Collateralized Debt Obligation? What is a (CDS) Credit Default Swap? How were they able to destroy financial institutions around the world?
What really brought down Bear Stearns, Lehman and AIG? Hear first hand accounts of their final days from an insider.

markot

Banned
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Mario and Luigi: Bowsers inside story
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Which of these three would you feel bestest about dropping in a 2 purchase only event >.<?

Ventron

markot said:

Which of these three would you feel bestest about dropping in a 2 purchase only event >.<?

I haven't played it but I heard Golden Sun was a disappointment in terms of lack of difficulty.

My Parents are currently in England, just far away enough away from the (many) trouble areas to not be that worried.

Strangely, my concerns are for the police that are having to deal with this and the various bits of history that are being burnt down. Images of houses and business that have stood for more than a century being destroyed because opportunist scum have found an excuse to act in reprehensible ways.

People hurt, buildings lost, lives damage, and for what? Most of these people probably won't even remember what excuse they found to do this.

markot said:

I've only played M&L:BIS of those three, but it really depends on what you want I guess. If you want another standard RPG, keep Golden Sun. If you want a strategy RPG, keep Fire Emblem.

jambo

deadmeadow88 said:
SOUNDWAVE REVOLUTION CANCELLED. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:'(

Yeah my housemate told me earlier on Gmail chat, he luckily didn't buy a ticket

Also, just saw this on Facebook

J9hrL.jpg

deadmeadow88 said:
SOUNDWAVE REVOLUTION CANCELLED. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:'(
Really? What happened? I wasn't particularly interested in it, but I've been to heaps of normal Soundwaves, without a doubt one of the best run festivals in the country. Hopefully this doesn't affect them.
If Soundwave does a Livid and over expands and collapses, I'm going to be pissed

Dead Man

FallbackPants said:
Really? What happened? I wasn't particularly interested in it, but I've been to heaps of normal Soundwaves, without a doubt one of the best run festivals in the country. Hopefully this doesn't affect them.
If Soundwave does a Livid and over expands and collapses, I'm going to be pissed
Sounds like a headliner pulled out. http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/29631/AJ-Soundwave-Revolution-cancelled-as-we-know-it

How was Revolution different to a normal Soundwave?

Edit: Fucking hell, another double post.

jambo

Someone on my Facebook was saying that Soundwave being cancelled showed that

we as and Art Culture, are the fucking laughing stock of the rest of the world!

How the fuck does one festival from one promoter being cancelled somehow make us a laughing stock. What about WOMADelaide? What about the Adelaide Fringe? The Melbourne International Film Festival? I could go on. We have tonnes of world class arts festivals and events!

Jintor

The graphical intensity on this hidden boss in Bayonetta is so incredible it actively breaks the game's otherwise silky-smooth controls :<

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Well, at least that is what I think of the whole world economy thing. Would miss my vidyagames
And that's when I will go from horrible backlog person to KING. Thanks Steam!

Eagle boys pizza is fucking horrible. Plus it took them 20 mins to give me a half cooked garlic bread when it take 5 mins to throw in the oven with no effort. Clowns.

London needs to cull some scum by the looks of it. Sucks for the hard working people who are trying to make the country a better place through nonviolent means.

Also I cant wait to have real internet again. :(

Thanks for the router Shane!

AusQB

reptilescorpio said:
Eagle boys pizza is fucking horrible. Plus it took them 20 mins to give me a half cooked garlic bread when it take 5 mins to throw in the oven with no effort. Clowns.
Eagle Boys is for bogans.

Shaneus said:
Thanks for the extra game too mate! My 3rd copy of sega poopstar tennis but I think I dont have some of those arcade games which will be cool. Also I thought it was original trilogy only so that was a nice surprise!

Shaneus

Surprised you got it next day, TBH. And those extras... not wanting to sound like I dumped them on you, but they're pretty much worth nothing for trade (they came with the arcade) and I figured the youngin' could get some fun out of them (eventually) :)

Ahhh, hope our dollar regains some strength again, going overseas in December.

On another note, thanks for the advice guys on getting ram from PCCG. I ordered at 2pm yesterday and it came in today... Awesome service. I just installed it, it's heaps faster actually, it's a bigger improvement than I expected.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hey, AusGAF lives!

Oh, and as for the Aussie dollar; it is actually in the constitution that you are required to punch the face of anyone who makes predictions of where the dollar is heading.

Dead Man

Witchfinder General said:
Hey, AusGAF lives!

Oh, and as for the Aussie dollar; it is actually in the constitution that you are required to punch the face of anyone who makes predictions of where the dollar is heading.
That needs to be publicised more.

AusQB

Hey, AusGAF lives!

It doesn't matter how strong or weak the dollar gets, I'll still have to pay $3.50 for a 600ml bottle of coke.

strata8

Hypocrits. They must've done quite a bit to predict that outcome.

Top Bottom