• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
I think what this PSN fiasco has taught me is that no system is impenetrable. Of course i should have thought of this before and places have been hacked before but its the first time its really affected me

I believe from now on i am going to be a lot different in how i treat the interwebs especially those who want to keep my credit card on file.

I now intend to just use XBL point cards as well as PSN cards to deal with those services. If it can happen to PSN it can happen to XBL (and anyone really)

If someone wants to store my CC, they will get a debit card that ive had but not used for ages and just deal with that.

It's opened up a lot of peoples eyes i think. I was in a shop just before and a guy was trying to get a refund of something. Dude wanted his Drives licence for some reason and he is like no way, you seen that playstation stuff? this guy is like old and wouldnt know what ps3 etc is or use it i assume (maybe he does..) but thats how big this is now.

It's going to affect consumer behaviour for at least a little while. Especially those who have been directly affected.

What do you all think? Will you guys just start using PSN and XBL with cards again or just go for points cards?

Kritz

Banned
Megadrive said:
Kritz your art has charm to it. I really like it. Maybe when I eventually have some actual time on my hands we can MAEK A GAEM WIT UR ART IN IT!!!1!

iH4RH.png

I still have the Fucking Sweet Fred base sprite I drawed for you :<

Choc said:
What do you all think? Will you guys just start using PSN and XBL with cards again or just go for points cards?
I already had fraud protection on my debit card so all I'm going to do is continue to change my passwords every now and then. As long as my money is protected in the event I get screwed over I don't really mind. The Gawker hack was the eye-opener for me.

I recommend creating different personae for different websites. You can be a smooth daddy on the NBA forum, a brooding soul on devinart, a happy-go-lucky frenchman on OzGameShop, etc.

Kritz said:
I still have the Fucking Sweet Fred base sprite I drawed for you :<
Drew Kritz, Drew. Or better yet fandangled.

Choc said:
I think what this PSN fiasco has taught me is that no system is impenetrable.

I've always been a bit wary of saving my credit card, though become a bit more lax in the last year or two.

However, I never leave my credit card on file anywhere I visit infrequently, and I check my credit card transactions weekly. I also rip up my bills when throwing them away. I never sign up for mailing lists. I also started using more unique passwords for different services (though not one for each). This isn't really enough if you really want to be protected, but it's a start.

Anything that opens people's eyes to security is a good thing. I signed up for Google's 2-step verification today.

Dead Man

Choc said:
I think what this PSN fiasco has taught me is that no system is impenetrable. Of course i should have thought of this before and places have been hacked before but its the first time its really affected me

I believe from now on i am going to be a lot different in how i treat the interwebs especially those who want to keep my credit card on file.

I now intend to just use XBL point cards as well as PSN cards to deal with those services. If it can happen to PSN it can happen to XBL (and anyone really)

If someone wants to store my CC, they will get a debit card that ive had but not used for ages and just deal with that.

It's opened up a lot of peoples eyes i think. I was in a shop just before and a guy was trying to get a refund of something. Dude wanted his Drives licence for some reason and he is like no way, you seen that playstation stuff? this guy is like old and wouldnt know what ps3 etc is or use it i assume (maybe he does..) but thats how big this is now.

It's going to affect consumer behaviour for at least a little while. Especially those who have been directly affected.

I'll be using PSN cards for any more purchases. I would make a small comment on your choice to use a debit card. If there is fraud on it, and you need to argue with the bank about it, it can be a bit more difficult, since it is your money that has been used, rather than a line of credit, which if worse comes to worse, you just don't pay (and get credit listed for 5 years, but hey, lets talk worst case). With a debit card the money is yours, and most will allow overdraws to obscene amounts anyway if they are processed the right way.

Choc said:
I think what will happen will be what always happens after Credit Card fraud, whether it be to a large number of people at once or a single person: they'll say they will change, will make a few token gestures and then slowly sink back into their old habits as the memories of the incident fade.

Isn't that what happens with most people in reaction to most situations? I'm not saying that to be a dick, it's just the way these thing generally happen, I've found.

Dead Man said:
I'll be using PSN cards for any more purchases. I would make a small comment on your choice to use a debit card. If there is fraud on it, and you need to argue with the bank about it, it can be a bit more difficult, since it is your money that has been used, rather than a line of credit, which if worse comes to worse, you just don't pay (and get credit listed for 5 years, but hey, lets talk worst case). With a debit card the money is yours, and most will allow overdraws to obscene amounts anyway if they are processed the right way.
When I was had fraud appear on my Visa Debit I had no issues with Suncorp. I notified them, signed some stat decs and received the money back days later. The fact that it was a Visa Debit wasn't even brought up. They were awesome. [insert obligatory YMMV]

Dead Man

Planet_JASE said:
When I was had fraud appear on my Visa Debit I had no issues with Suncorp. I notified them, signed some stat decs and received the money back days later. The fact that it was a Visa Debit wasn't even brought up. They were awesome. [insert obligatory YMMV]
Thats good. Maybe they have gotten better. When I worked at Westpac in collections we hated debit cards and the t&c on them were so stacked in favour of the bank it was beyond a joke.

jambo

legend166 said:
Guys, Fox Footy is coming back.

Fox Footy.

Best news I've heard this year.

The 4 F2A matches will be on 7, 10 or 9. Interesting.

But I have Fox, so every game live in HD baby!

Dead Man

SA leading the way for a change!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/28/3202605.htm
The South Australian Government says it will back a federal push to introduce a R18+ classification for videogames but wants to go a step further.

Attorney-General John Rau says he will abolish the MA15+ rating in South Australia to more clearly define what is suitable for children.

He says he hopes the states and territories will also adopt the position when they discuss classifications in July.

"I will push for the South Australian position on MA15+ games to be adopted nationally, but if it isn't, I'm prepared to go it alone," he said.

Mr Rau says it would change the system to provide G, PG, M and R18+ classifications.

"There has to be a clear difference between what adults can get and what children can get," he said.

"At the moment the MA15+ classification is like a crossover point between what is acceptable and what is unacceptable.

"We want that to be a very clear gap. We will have a new classification R18+ and the MA15+ will disappear."

I think that's actually a really good idea, I never really like the MA rating anyway when the M already existed.

Danoss

MrSerrels said:
Guys, guys - you can all stalk me!

Any of you chaps going to the WCG thing at Parra on Sat?
Haha, I'm glad you're taking all this well, you're a better sport than me.

What's this WCG thing on Saturday? I spend half my weekends watching the NRL that I'm oblivious to most other things.

jambo

better to abolish MA15+, because then the vast majority of adult content that is stupidly being rated lower moves up to R18+ where it BELONGS!

Danoss

Dead Man said:
I think that's actually a really good idea, I never really like the MA rating anyway when the M already existed.
Well, M15+ wasn't restricted, meaning those under 15 could buy and view them. MA15+ is restricted to those 15 years and over much the same as R18+ is restricted to 18 years and over, with no exceptions.

I do agree that it is a bit ambiguous as I don't think everyone is aware of this fact and view M15+ and MA15+ as basically the same.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
The question is, is it better to abolish MA15+ or M? One is a restriction and the other a guideline.
I think it is better to have the only restriction at 18. PG is a guideline too, and no one gets outraged when kids what PG material without parental guidance. Just my 2c though, ymmv.

Danoss said:
Well, M15+ wasn't restricted, meaning those under 15 could buy and view them. MA15+ is restricted to those 15 years and over much the same as R18+ is restricted to 18 years and over, with no exceptions.

I do agree that it is a bit ambiguous as I don't think everyone is aware of this fact and view M15+ and MA15+ as basically the same.
Yeah, I knew they were different, but if one existed, then the other became a bit redundant.

Dead Man said:
I think it is better to have the only restriction at 18. PG is a guideline too, and no one gets outraged when kids what PG material without parental guidance. Just my 2c though, ymmv.
You can go into R18+ movies with a guardian though, can't you? Having a 13, 14 or 15 restricted rating still seems like a good idea to me.

codswallop said:
You can go into R18+ movies with a guardian though, can't you? Having a 13, 14 or 15 restricted rating still seems like a good idea to me.

I thought it was MA15+ you could go if you were accompanied by someone over 15. R18+ all viewers have to be 18+.

Bernbaum

codswallop said:
The question is, is it better to abolish MA15+ or M? One is a restriction and the other a guideline.
Good point. You could make the rating on M15+ restrictive and let the natural approach of parents take care of itself - parents who think think their kids are sensible enough to watch, say, Saving Private Ryan in the comfort of their own homes will probably let them do so. No-one is going to be outraged. It's like your Dad giving you a shandy beer at a BBQ when you're underage - totally unenforceable and no-one gives a shit.

Kids would still be unable to see restricted films and purchase restricted games on their own, but I'd like to give parents the benefit of the doubt if they think something is in the grey area and want to intervene and purchase it for them. On that point, there's a difference between a bunch of 14 year olds going to see Saving Private Ryan at the cinema by themselves and watching it at home or in a classroom with adult guidance. SPR is a great example for that because it's an important film.

And for the record, I probably wouldn't tolerate a 15 year old kid playing Modern Warfare 2 for the 'No Russian' scene alone. Hell, I had trouble playing that myself. Those little cunts can play Kirby and they will like it.

Yes I'm old.

Get off my lawn.

jambo

I've got a feeling a parent or guardian can take an underage person in to see an R18+ film, but if you go by yourself you can't go in.

Danoss

codswallop said:
Nope. If you look underage, a cinema or store selling a DVD can card you before allowing you to view 18+ content. The same applies for MA15+, the cinema or store can request a student ID or learner license before allowing a purchase. If not, then it isn't really restricted is it?

jambo said:
I've got a feeling a parent or guardian can take an underage person in to see an R18+ film, but if you go by yourself you can't go in.
Also this, a parent/guardian overrides all when such restrictions are involved.

Danoss

Clipper said:
Edit: second image was editted in cause I couldn't resist having him stalk himself.
Wow, now we know what Serrels looks like when he catches his eye in the mirror.

You're killing me.

I'm sure it used to be OK with R18+, but perhaps that was before the introduction of MA15+. I remember when it was introduced and I'm almost positive, not that it matters now.

The current law is that people under 18 are not permitted with R18+, while under 15s are with MA15+ if accompanied for the duration of the film by a guardian.
http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/rwpattach.nsf/VAP/(C7C220BBE2D77410637AB17935C2BD2E)~4626ClassificationsCinemaOtherSandT-FinalJan2010.pdf/$file/4626ClassificationsCinemaOtherSandT-FinalJan2010.pdf

In QLD, under 2s can see R18+ films, and it doesn't even say they have to be accompanied by someone over 18!
http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/rwpattach.nsf/VAP/(C7C220BBE2D77410637AB17935C2BD2E)~4626ClassificationsCinemaQLD-FinalJan2010.pdf/$file/4626ClassificationsCinemaQLD-FinalJan2010.pdf

Clipper said:
serrelsloopflipped4.gif
serrelsloop4.gif

Edit: second image was editted in cause I couldn't resist having him stalk himself.
Serrels A to Serrels B: How you doin'?

One needs a vandyke so we can tell which one is the evil Serrels.

Fredescu

The gifs are synced up now? They weren't when I first looked. I can't decide which is funnier. Because I can't actually watch the whole loop without laughing in the middle of my quiet workplace.

jambo

codswallop said:

I'm fairly certain that if a 2 year old tried to buy a ticket to an R18 film the staff would simply say no and then look for their parent or guardian.

Clipper said:
serrelsloopflipped4.gif
serrelsloop4.gif

Hahaha, first time it loaded, there was a delay between the 2, so they never looked at each other at the same time. Can you make a gif of that? :lol :lol

Top Bottom