• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK said:
American Xenoblade stuff

Pretty much how I've felt about the whole thing.

Tell you what, I'll forfeit Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower and let them have them, but first we need to alter history so that stuff like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasies before VII, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and the like release here on their original systems but not over there. Seems like a fair trade to me.

markot

Banned
Lucky I got it from Greenmangaming, but still its uberlame..... and I am guessing a trend we will see increasing >_<

REGION LOCKING ON PC? WHAT MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!

hamchan

VOOK said:
I feel like I'm this close to snapping about Americans going on about Xenoblade.

Too bad.

It's ONE FUCKING GAME, Yes it's a VERY GOOD GAME, yes the Wii NEEDS GAMES.

HOW-FUCKING-EVER.

Australian and European gamers have been getting FUCKED over for years in regards to releases, release dates and more. SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU SELF-ENTITLED MOTHER FUCKERS.

Import and mod your system like we do and shut the fuck up.

DEAL WITH IT.

Post this in the Xenoblade thread with heaps of Americans reading!

I'm pretty annoyed by the whiny fuckers too :D

markot said:
Lucky I got it from Greenmangaming, but still its uberlame..... and I am guessing a trend we will see increasing >_<

Region locking only to prevent people buying keys from Russia. I don't have a problem with this as long as it does not effect games imported from the UK or US. The idea is to stop people paying $15 for a game rather than stop someone from having access to the game entirely.

Also pirate cd-crack/etc. Shouldn't be necessary but PC games are never truly locked off to us at least.

I expect more and more games going online only to combat Russian keys and piracy. iD are all for it, Diablo 3 has gone online only.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Region locking only to prevent people buying keys from Russia. I don't have a problem with this as long as it does not effect games imported from the UK or US.
"Retail copies sold in the UK will only activate on UK Steam accounts."

Echoplx

reptilescorpio said:
Region locking only to prevent people buying keys from Russia. I don't have a problem with this as long as it does not effect games imported from the UK or US. The idea is to stop people paying $15 for a game rather than stop someone from having access to the game entirely.

Also pirate cd-crack/etc. Shouldn't be necessary but PC games are never truly locked off to us at least.

I expect more and more games going online only to combat Russian keys and piracy. iD are all for it, Diablo 3 has gone online only.

Might want to read what I posted :p

Also in the case of Steam region locking, cracks won't work as it won't even let you activate the game.

3chopl0x said:
Might want to read what I posted :p

Also in the case of Steam region locking, cracks won't work as it won't even let you activate the game.
Yeah sorry for the confusing post, I was following the news intently yesterday at work when it broke but thankfully GMG were quick to say it wouldn't affect them.

I meant more in the future this will be more commonplace but the locking of retail will only result in ill will towards Eidos over this move. I wouldn't be surprised to see them change their mind when the game is released. There is no reason to try and squeeze some extra dollars out of people like this, all that will happen is that they will buy through DD means or will pirate. Both situations mean that Eidos will get a lot less money than leaving the more expensive retail channel open.

Not that I want to sound like a pirate but even a few retail Steamworks titles I have come across are able to be worked around the steam implementation. Can't have official Steamworks support of course but still runs fine.

legend166

Region locking Steam games is absolutely bull crap and if it becomes wide spread I'm going to be so damn annoyed.

The funny thing about the Xenoblade stuff is all these Americans who all of a sudden become like mentally impaired 5 year olds who don't know how to use the internet just because they have to import a game. It's so weird.

Echoplx

All this 'more ram then the PS3' talk is making me mad, they have completely different architecture and can't be compared directly like that.

wasn't directing this at anyone just venting :p

Jintor

Not that there was much reason beyond collector's editions to import in the first place, but still a very disappointing trend

Nemesis_

legend166 said:
The funny thing about the Xenoblade stuff is all these Americans who all of a sudden become like mentally impaired 5 year olds who don't know how to use the internet just because they have to import a game. It's so weird.

They've got the most bloated misinformed sense of entitlement ever.

It makes me LOL.

Gazunta

Vook - agreed 100%

If anyone wants a "5 quid off a 45 quid or more order" code for The Hut let me know. I won't be using it.

I just realized that the was a comic-related social thing on tonight I didn't go to. There was one during the day I didn't go to either. There's a concert tomorrow night I have tickets for and truth be told I don't think I could be arsed attending.

I'm old. I live in the suburbs with my wife and cats. I don't go out.

Meh. I think I just want August to be over. My life's in holding pattern until September.

Ydahs

So, Zelda SS. Nov 18 in EU. Nov 20 in US. Will probably be the last Wii game I'll buy locally if it's released in the same month.

trinest

Ydahs said:
So, Zelda SS. Nov 18 in EU. Nov 20 in US. Will probably be the last Wii game I'll buy locally if it's released in the same month.
I'm guessing AU date in December, or something like the 27 or something.

Axiom

Went to mana bar tonight, had great fun until I left, caught the wrong tram and am now stranded waiting for a pick-up playing Minecraft on my phone. You can make geeks social but you can't make them have direction.

In gaming related news, Minecraft isn't half as good on a phone, awkward even with Play controls

Jaxter09

markot said:

Sorry man

Green Man Gaming is a digital retailer of PC games. We sell games globally and have sold to over 89 countries. We're based in London, UK, and our offices are in Bloomsbury which sounds much more posh than it really is.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/about/

Region locking PC games is absolute bullshit. I was looking forward to DEHR, but no way am I buying it now

Cohsae

Yoshiya said:
Seeing the A-level thread raise its head again sent me into exam panic mode. The end-of-year apocalypse is approaching fast.
I have two end of trimester oral exams tomorrow. And then I have 4 more exams in the next 7 days. FML.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Speaking of PC region codes based upon retail whatevers...

Massive advertisement for Modern Warfare 3 on Steam. I click it to see the price - $100 USD.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
From Dust now available. Downloading Now :D

1.7GB

Oh god, It sounds like from dust is a shitty console port. DO NOT BUY! Will confirm after work.

Why isn't it the weekend already, Stuff to play, things to watch. Fuuuccckk

Also does anyone know which terminator 2 cut is the best? There's so many of them, why jesus why!

Darklord

Banned
Sigh, seriously fuck retail. I've been rostered on until midnight now. Which I can't do without getting dicked around completely so I said can I work until 11 instead and they pointblank refuses and then says if I can't do it I'll be taken off those shifts(leaving me with literally, 3 hours of work a week). It's 1 hours difference and I'd be doing the exact thing anyway. Absolutely no different to them but me being screwed over. Fuck retail. Oh, I said that already? I'll say it again, fuuuuuuck retail. I need a new job.

FUCK. Just remembered I have an online test to do by tomorrow night for my uni subject that I haven't even looked at yet, let alone bought the textbook.

Choc said:
Young Talent Time is coming back
and Rob Mills is the host
this truly is the bottom of the barrel time for tv
WIll get cancelled 5 minutes into the first episode. Rob Mills will burn in a fire.

evlcookie said:
Oh god, It sounds like from dust is a shitty console port. DO NOT BUY! Will confirm after work.
Also does anyone know which terminator 2 cut is the best? There's so many of them, why jesus why!
The port is very, very shitty but the game is fantastic. Also I like the Directors Cut of T2.

Megadrive said:
I dunno where in that GMG about page it says anything about region locking.

VVVVVV is $2.10 on GMG: http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/puzzle/vvvvvv/

If you haven't played it yet and didn't get it on the Humble Bundle #3, seriously. Get to it.
VVVVVVVVVV also has an editor and some custom levels now too.

Green Man Gaming Staff said:

So even with the public holiday off yesterday and not a lot to do i only managed to fit in about 2 hours of game play for Bastion last night. It is awesome, i love it, but i have a nagging fear that it is going to end quite quickly. For $15 i recommend it to you all though.

Tried to watch some stream of DotA 2 last night as well, it was horrible though, stream was chugging bad. Somewhat disappointing but from what i saw of the game at least it looks great and i'm really excited for it, all my friends just think its crap, though i'm not quite sure what their problem is.

Megadrive said:
Sounds either blind hatred or they just really don't like the dota style of game.

Thing is, they all played DotA and HoN is currently the only game most of them play. A LOT (massive nerds)
So yes i agree with the blind hate view. Just annoys me that they dismiss it so easily when it is clearly quite well developed and seriously FFS its valve.....

codswallop said:
I never played DOTA, and the trailer doesn't show anything about it at all. Why should I be excited?

You should youtube gameplay and then get excited :D That trailer is really for fans, doesn't explain much

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
DOTA seems to be really boring to watch if you have no idea what's going on.

I think it also depends on who is playing and how they are playing. The first match last night was a typical chinese defense farm game, so they were saying in the thread and it went for 90 minutes.

The game after that seemed to be a bit more action oriented and was more exciting. I still have no idea what the fuck was going on but it didn't put me to sleep compared to the first match.

I will continue to watch it though as it does seem like it would be a lot more interesting to play than watch. Hopefully the commentators do a better job talking about what we are seeing and why this hero is on this lane, what it means, how he stacks up against the other sides hero on the same lane etc. A little bit of dumbed down explaining would help a heck of a lot.

Yagharek

Box of Bunnies said:
Pretty much how I've felt about the whole thing.

Tell you what, I'll forfeit Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower and let them have them, but first we need to alter history so that stuff like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasies before VII, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and the like release here on their original systems but not over there. Seems like a fair trade to me.

But the future refused to change

:(

Top Bottom