• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
The trick is, these groups aren’t motivated by any particular issues, however angry they may be about a carbon price or taxes. The issues are mere tokens. It’s more about them and their resentment that the world has changed on them in ways they don’t like and don’t feel comfortable with. It’s the sense of persecution that comes from no longer occupying a privileged position in society but instead having to cope with life just like everyone else.

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH

Choc said:
The trick is, these groups aren’t motivated by any particular issues, however angry they may be about a carbon price or taxes. The issues are mere tokens. It’s more about them and their resentment that the world has changed on them in ways they don’t like and don’t feel comfortable with. It’s the sense of persecution that comes from no longer occupying a privileged position in society but instead having to cope with life just like everyone else.

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH
Who said that? Far correct for its own good. Never be a real journalist here in Australia saying things like that!

elfinke

RandomVince said:
NSW electricity prices are indeed fucked. You cant find a straight answer anywhere.

Yeah I just went to my supplier (Origin Energy) to see if they had approximation quotes I could add into the conversation. Predictably, they don't.

Choc

Banned
fuckin seriously

PS3s are getting expensive then :|

0.2 kwh

8c an hour, and i wonder if thats just in stdby

also what the fuck is a 'shoulder' that was not mentioned as legal in the IPART documents i just read

it does not mention that, so it should not be allowed >_<

Yagharek

Sutton Dagger said:
Worse than that as of the latest increase.

59.00c a day
off-peak- 9.6c kWh
Shoulder - 16.4c kWh
PEAK - 40.6c kWh It's beyond a joke now.

59c per day is the flat service rate, yes?

6 hours a day at the peak rate, shoulder and off peak rates are nice and cheap.

I'm going to go ahead and say you must be running either a lot of heaters or you have something really inefficient.

markot said:
Its all that solar power rebate scam crap they have going on >_< driving up the costs of energy for everyone else.
So what is the situation with Solar? If I owned a house and installed a solar panel could I become self sufficient? How about a wind turbine in the backyard?

Aon

mgVzh.png

VPN IS GO THE END IS HERE LETME FIND MY INDOOR SUNGLASSES DO THIS

Just found out that through work I can get ebgames gift cards for 20% off! Not like I will start buying all my games there but will come in very handy during their sales, make them even better deals.

Also insanely cheap Xbox wireless headphones!!! If I hadn't already bought my Logitech set I would be all over these!

markot

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
So what is the situation with Solar? If I owned a house and installed a solar panel could I become self sufficient? How about a wind turbine in the backyard?

Depends on the state... etc... etc...

In NSW, previously they got 60c/kWh, and they were paid for all the energy that they produced, not just their surplus. They also had/have, not sure, huge rebate schemes for people installing the solar panels onto their houses, thousands of dolars.

So not only does the government/company have to pay for their energy at a higher rate than would be normal, they also subsidise the installation of the panels.

That money has to come from somewhere, and people who cant afford solar panels are in effect paying the difference in higher rates and crap.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
You can reduce your energy bills by installing solar panels, but the only reasonable way to become self sufficient would be to build (or luck into buying) a whole house that was designed from the ground up with passive solar principles in mind. That is, have your living areas facing north, your bedrooms on the south, minimal or no windows on the west, good sized eaves that allow the winter sun in but keep the summer sun out, enough thermal mass in the house so winter warmth does not escape at night, the right insulation including sarking and double glazing, and there is more. There's a decent technical guide that I'm slowly trying to understand here: http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs41.html

It sounds like a lot, but you can do most of it affordably if you're building your own place. There are people that pay like $15/qtr in power bills after doing all that, but you still have to watch how you use everything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What VPN are you using Aon?

Axiom

Okay so I now get why Vook was all 'TMI'.

They need to let me play Deus Ex tonight but I'm afraid of Steam ninjas

My PS3 fan is so loud these days, the PlayTV keeps screwing up and I fear for its life. I wonder if they'll accept a 'fix this before it breaks' service.

Ventron

Choc said:

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH

"no longer occupying a privileged position"???
That's ridiculous. They were truckies...

Fredescu

markot said:
So not only does the government/company have to pay for their energy at a higher rate than would be normal, they also subsidise the installation of the panels.

That money has to come from somewhere, and people who cant afford solar panels are in effect paying the difference in higher rates and crap.
The government subsidises the installation of the panels, but that should have nothing to do with how much the private electricity company charges you for electricity, right? No new installations get paid for sending electricity back into the grid anymore, so there will soon be a bunch of free electricity floating around.

Ventron said:
I'm going to guess that the retirees outnumbered the truckies. Pictures from the convoy protests and others support the view that the attendees skewed older.

Ventron said:
But in the past, they were still able to look down on shielas, wogs, foreigners from outside the white anglosphere and aborigines. The world has changed in ways that they're less able to do that.

Also, even if they were truckies, they were still (as baby boomers) still imbued with an expectation of perpetually increasing prosperity and a stronger political voice.

Clipper

viciouskillersquirrel, it does work from an iPhone... Unless you were talking about something else in your brief excursion over to chat.

Jintor

On one hand, fuck region locking up the butthole. On the other hand, I have assignments and research and stuff to do anyway, so nuts to DX:HR for now.

Clipper said:
viciouskillersquirrel, it does work from an iPhone... Unless you were talking about something else in your brief excursion over to chat.
I couldn't get it to display what I typed (at least not via the first link)) and the second Told me I was alone in there.

Ventron said:
I thought only a tiny amount of the truckies turned up in the end? I remember 7pm Project making fun of them, referring to those facebook groups that get a million followers who can't be arsed leaving their house for any kind of progress.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
59c per day is the flat service rate, yes?

6 hours a day at the peak rate, shoulder and off peak rates are nice and cheap.

I'm going to go ahead and say you must be running either a lot of heaters or you have something really inefficient.

its called living in NSW.

Fredescu said:
You can reduce your energy bills by installing solar panels, but the only reasonable way to become self sufficient would be to build (or luck into buying) a whole house that was designed from the ground up with passive solar principles in mind. That is, have your living areas facing north, your bedrooms on the south, minimal or no windows on the west, good sized eaves that allow the winter sun in but keep the summer sun out, enough thermal mass in the house so winter warmth does not escape at night, the right insulation including sarking and double glazing, and there is more. There's a decent technical guide that I'm slowly trying to understand here: http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs41.html

It sounds like a lot, but you can do most of it affordably if you're building your own place. There are people that pay like $15/qtr in power bills after doing all that, but you still have to watch how you use everything.

I've been thinking about getting panels put on the roof of our house. When we built, we literally could not afford much more other than what was standard but jesus i would double glaze this house if I could (It costs double to retrofit double glazed windows than it would in a new house)

Origin's website says it costs a couple of grand paid out over a couple of years, but it's not easy to find info on what your actual power bills would be (unless I'm wrong- since there's no storage facility, you still need to use power from the grid on overcast days and at night). The main impediment is my wife remains unconvinced we'd save much money just ATM (especially whilst we pay off the installation) and since she's the breadwinner, I'll defer to her superior brain and good looks.

besides, the cat makes all the decisions in this house. He's all for solar since he 'recharges' in the sun during the day

jambo said:
237 posts in this thread today, crikey moses!

I was shocked, usually theres a page or two tops since last night.

Went to the herringbone syndey "stocktake" sale in Brisbane city today. What a joke, advertised the wrong address, every shirt I looked at was at least $100 or more, the line to pay was 60ish deep and the change room was a little bit sectioned off with dividers.

I can get a tailor made shirt for the about the same money. And it's guaranteed to fit like a glove, so to speak.

elfinke

So I got the rooms app for iPhone up and running, and everyone left the AusGAF channel :(

Or I'm doing it wrong and have joined some other, scary AusGAF place.

bodyboarder said:
I was shocked, usually theres a page or two tops since last night.

Went to the herringbone syndey "stocktake" sale in Brisbane city today. What a joke, advertised the wrong address, every shirt I looked at was at least $100 or more, the line to pay was 60ish deep and the change room was a little bit sectioned off with dividers.

I can get a tailor made shirt for the about the same money. And it's guaranteed to fit like a glove, so to speak.
My parents came back from Kuala Lumpur and my dad, who is a mechanic who lives on a farm and I can't remember the last time I didn't see his hands stained with axle grease, had gotten himself kitted out in tailor made shirts, pants and even 3 suit jackets. It was so cheap he told me it would be worth flying over just to get suited up. He even bought my fancy looking office shoes from there for about $6.

Format factory is free and will be what I use to convert videos onto this thing.

Fredescu

ClivePwned said:
I've been thinking about getting panels put on the roof of our house. When we built, we literally could not afford much more other than what was standard but jesus i would double glaze this house if I could (It costs double to retrofit double glazed windows than it would in a new house)
Yeah, so much of this stuff needs to go into the house when you build it or it just becomes too much. A friend of mine recently got wall insulation put in his older house, and they had to drill holes everywhere to inject it. He filled in all the holes himself when it was done.

ClivePwned said:
Origin's website says it costs a couple of grand paid out over a couple of years, but it's not easy to find info on what your actual power bills would be (unless I'm wrong- since there's no storage facility, you still need to use power from the grid on overcast days and at night). The main impediment is my wife remains unconvinced we'd save much money just ATM (especially whilst we pay off the installation) and since she's the breadwinner, I'll defer to her superior brain and good looks.
Decent blog post from a guy that calculated it himself: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=820 . I think if a side of your roof faces as close to true north as possible and gets a lot of sun, there's a good chance it's going to be worth it. Otherwise it gets tricky to figure out.

Salazar said:
You never been looked down on from a truck ?
Most irritating is that truck drivers generally earn at least $5 an hour more than me too. I wanna drive all day in a comfy truck on the cb to my buddies while listening to Stevie Nicks. Would be much nicer than getting yelled at all day long by morons in a call centre' :-(

Top Bottom