• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

I've only been to New York from those places you mentioned, but I absolutely loved it. We stayed for 10 days, and after 5-6 I was ready to move on but after 10 I wanted to stay longer.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
First WAusGAF meet up completed! AnkhWeasel brought me my HP Touch Pad! Winrar.

Choc

Banned
Popular Flights from New York to Sydney

Airfare from New York to Sydney on Qantas from $1146 round trip

Cheapest for an aussie (and because you are in au you cant book that other flight)

FUCK YOU ALAN JOYCE

why is that the case? its the same for flying from UK to Sydney as well.

Was planning on going to NY for a mates wedding next month but since I took a new job I'm not allowed to go. :(
The woman was looking forward to seeing Tiffany's too. Maybe next year. Maybe for the honeymoon? Are there elephants in NY?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Was planning on going to NY for a mates wedding next month but since I took a new job I'm not allowed to go. :(
The woman was looking forward to seeing Tiffany's too. Maybe next year. Maybe for the honeymoon? Are there elephants in NY?
When I was in Manhattan, the souvenirs I bought for my mum and sister were little trinket thingys from Tiffany's. They liked them. Pricey, though... at the time our dollar was well and truly up shit creek (around 2002 I think?).

True story.

reptilescorpio said:
I bought the wife one of the key things from the Fifth Ave store, as well as a money clip for myself.

Switching to a money clip has been freaking awesome.

jambo

Shaneus said:
Pricey, though... at the time our dollar was well and truly up shit creek (around 2002 I think?).

Just a bit

ln1y5.png

Shaneus

Yeah, I couldn't quite remember what year it was. Initially thought it was 2000, but I remember visiting what was left of the WTC site.

Bought my Rio Karma on that trip. Fucking love it.

Fusebox

Banned
legend166 said:
So a friend at work is going to NY in a couple of weeks, and it got me interested.

You can get return flights for $1450. Ridiculous. I'm wondering if I should go for a couple of weeks next year. Do NY, Washington, Boston, Philly.

Do it! I just did SF -> NYC -> Orlando -> Vegas earlier this year. NYC was easily one of my favourite places, although I experienced some of THE worst customer service in the world in NYC, the shopping/dining/arts etc makes up for everything.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
The MHz is basically the transfer rate of the RAM. 1600MHz being faster than 1333MHz. Faster the RAM the faster it can move stuff in and out.

But then you have the other things like the cycle speeds and latency that are also important. I'm not as familiar with those, but RAM with a slower clock speed can still be as efficient if it is ultra-low latency. Faster RAM will also help with overclocking.

Probably best to get RAM that matches your motherboard and CPU speed/multiplier.
This isn't exactly true. Faster RAM only helps with overclocking. 1600Mhz RAM is so labelled because it has been tested to run at that speed, but it won't unless you overclock it to that speed. Otherwise it will just run at the default 1066 or whatever. Even if you get the RAM marked 1066, it will still handle a mild overclock anyway. The higher ratings are just for peace of mind for those that want the highest overclock they can get.

On the other hand, lower CAS latency does make a difference, but it's so tiny it's really not worth the bother.

Buying RAM:

1. "Value" RAM, or the cheapest RAM with no heatsinks, is never worth the ~$5 you save.
2. Try to get RAM that is on your chosen motherboards compatibility list. This isn't always possible because some manufacturers only test a few sets and call it done. At least make sure your RAM is known to work with the chipset on your motherboard.
3. If you're buying custom cooling, make sure the RAM heatsinks aren't going to get in the way.
4. RAM with sharp pointy edges will come in handy in case of zombie apocalypse.

legend166 said:
I could also go to Baltimore.

Go to some corners. Meet up with McNulty.
Visit Hamsterdam*.

*Don't tell me what happens, I'm still watching season three!

Fredescu said:
This isn't exactly true. Faster RAM only helps with overclocking.
Thanks Fred for the clarifications. Best thing to do is to get RAM that matches the speed of the rest of your system.

jambo

Fogz said:
Always up for another go

Well if you're free tonight we could give it a crack.

Apart from some CSS last night I haven't played any games this week, just reading and talking about them =\

elfinke

Listening to Question Time in parliament at the moment.

While no one endears themselves in there, Christopher Pyne makes me want to throw myself under a bus.

Choc

Banned
BHP just posted a 20.94 billion profit for six months

ridiculous

How can tony abbott say that getting our fair share of that from them digging OUR shit out of OUR ground is a bad thing?

fuck this country.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.308724-EAs-Origin-is-creepy-and-watches-you-sleep

"If you read the End User License Agreement for Origin it states that by installing Origin you're giving EA the right to monitor your PC and to make a profile of you, including what programs you have installed (and whether you have any illegally downloaded material), what websites you use, etc., and that EA reserves the right to share or sell this information to third parties."

Well then. Steam does the same thing, but I believe you can opt out of that. I haven't bothered personally.

jambo

Fredescu said:
Well then. Steam does the same thing, but I believe you can opt out of that. I haven't bothered personally.

I'm fairly sure that only happens when you do the hardware surveys, which you can opt out of as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
I could also go to Baltimore.

Go to some corners. Meet up with McNulty.
Ask everyone you meet in Baltimore about The Wire, I bet they'd love that.

jambo

Fredescu said:
They "survey" all of your installed programs too though.

Yes, but only if you say yes to them checking software, and only if you said yes to the hardware survey in the first place.

You know exactly what is happening, unlike Origin.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/metropolitan-maps/

can anyone who understands this website find me a list of all the stops on the 901 bus route? I know what stop i need to get off at (who ever came up with the bus stop naming conventions here in melbourne is an idiot) but I have no idea when that stop will occur

FYI: They give each bus stop A NAME. like "mitcham police station" "chappel corner" or what not

WHY CANT YOU JUST NUMBER THEM.

Fredescu

markot said:
Yeah, but steam doesnt check legalities and what websites you visit >_<
I think that was just supposition from the forum guy. Articles that actually quote the EULA don't mention that.

He also didn't mention the part of the EULA that says any information passed on to third parties will be "in a form that does not personally identify you." So, it's just stats.

You definitely should be able to opt out, but I would opt in given the choice.

legend166

jambo said:
Yes, but only if you say yes to them checking software, and only if you said yes to the hardware survey in the first place.

You know exactly what is happening, unlike Origin.

So basically opt in VS opt out.

This is what EA is talking about when they want to have direct contact with consumers ._.

Edit: Wait, it's not opt out. You can't opt out of it in Origin.

legend166 said:
So basically opt in VS opt out.

This is what EA is talking about when they want to have direct contact with consumers ._.

Edit: Wait, it's not opt out. You can't opt out of it in Origin.

>download and install origin
>"arr me hearties" BF3 1000 times
>troll success

NYC. NYC! Do it!

I loved it.
and by NYC I mean Manhattan between Greenwich and to the north end of central park.

Boston is great too. Only prob is no one speaks with Buh-ston or real New York accents in the cities.

Also- Montreal isn't far away and that place is pretty amazing.
In NYC- you must go to B&H's store. That's amazing.

also- accommodation in New York is either incredibly expensive or incredibly shit-house, and often both

Shaneus

I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone else on the list of people at Think Inc. other than Thomas. Should I be ashamed? What can I do to rectify this?

Top Bottom