• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

Shaneus said:
I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone else on the list of people at Think Inc. other than Thomas. Should I be ashamed? What can I do to rectify this?

You haven't heard of Neil deGrasse Tyson?!?!

He's an amazing man and I agree with almost everything he says.

Just use Teracopy. I really like the way it queues multiple transfers if you create one while one is in progress. Though those screens definitely show promise.

Now where's my journaling filesystem as was promised with Longhorn?

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone else on the list of people at Think Inc. other than Thomas. Should I be ashamed? What can I do to rectify this?
Youtube up a few of the 1hr+ long sessions with Tyson.

I don't have that sort of problem, and on multiple machines as well. Just the other week copied 500GB from one USB HDD to another, with files over 8GB, had no problems.

How does it crash?

Yagharek

markot said:
Kinda like Apple does for all its little upgrades ^.^?

Oh no u didnt

And on the topic of josh thomas or whatever his name is. Avoid total, completely unfunny.

Now what I WOULD pay good money to see would be a nice sit-in discussion with Father Bob and Philip Adams. Two of the best examples of their respective philosophies, and either of them would be hard to dislike even if you disagree with them.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is amazing to watch. Hi blue sky dreaming evokes the kind of wonder that people like Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking inspire.

Astronomy & Astrophysics <3

Fredescu

legend166 said:
TeraCopy crashes on me all the time.

If I'm copying a 5GB file, it will crash multiple times before it's done.
Try Robocopy GUI. It has no bells and whistles, but is fairly robust. If that crashes on you too, you have a hardware problem.

jgminto said:
I guess it's that time of year again. Just saw the commercial for the Australian Psychic Expo on TV. I can't wait.
The trouble with being able to predict the future is that the existence of such an ability would imply that the path the future will follow is somehow set, which further implies that you can't use these predictions in any attempt to change the outcome because, in a sense, said outcome has already happened. If it were otherwise, it would be impossible to observe the future. If what psychics "see" is a possible future, it becomes, impossible to verify that the ability exists and the person is not just guessing or hallucinating. Think about it - in that scenario, the very act of observing the future changes it.

Gazunta

This is how real people copy files.
3754388002_cb89d55298.jpg

Anyway, as I just said on Twitter, anyone who even has a remote interest in comics and doesn't put in to support this is a no-goodnik ne'er do-well.

Yagharek

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The trouble with being able to predict the future is that the existence of such an ability would imply that the path the future will follow is somehow set, which further implies that you can't use these predictions in any attempt to change the outcome because, in a sense, said outcome has already happened. If it were otherwise, it would be impossible to observe the future. If what psychics "see" is a possible future, it becomes, impossible to verify that the ability exists and the person is not just guessing or hallucinating. Think about it - in that scenario, the very act of observing the future changes it.

An eloquent argument. One effective illustration is to punch a psychic's teeth down their throat and query if they saw that coming. Until such time as the event occurs however, the teeth are in a metaphorical quantum superposition of states: in place and in pieces.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
An eloquent argument. One effective illustration is to punch a psychic's teeth down their throat and query if they saw that coming. Until such time as the event occurs however, the teeth are in a metaphorical quantum superposition of states: in place and in pieces.

Cat's, boxes. Teeth, throats. It's all the same really.

jgminto

True. I totally agree. I only brought it up because I absolutely hate the ad and they play it every FUCKING year.

Ventron

So I read a report earlier in the week that BHP was set to announce huge earnings. I thought the stock price would skyrocket the next day, but it didn't.

Turns out the report wasn't a BHP leak, but analyst speculation. Peh.

I took a risk anyway and bought BHP today at $38.13 (I could've gotten it cheaper had I acted earlier and not stuffed things up...)

And now...

MINING giant BHP Billiton has beaten analyst expectations for its full year net profit, delivering Australia's highest ever result.

Net profit for the 12 months to June 30 was $US23.6 billion ($A22.46 billion), up 85.9 per cent, Melbourne-based BHP Billiton said in a statement today.

Analysts were tipping a net profit for 2010/11 of $US22 billion.

Revenue increased 35.9 per cent to $US71.73 billion.
http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...full-year-profit/story-e6frfkur-1226121385061

fxSbk.png

So, back in 1999, I worked at a Cash Converters in the Buys and Loans section. We had a customer who'd come in regularly to pawn her jewelry and then good as gold collect it a few weeks later. One day, a colleague got curious and asked her what she did for a living. She was apparently a mystic/fortune teller, etc.

She could see your future but not the bill from Telstra.

So yeah, I'm not a believer.

Salazar

Wiped my Space Marine demo files because I'd been fucking with mods.

Reinstalling now. I find I can't wait for it to be back. If they cater to folks like me (who don't do online MP) with the DLC, I will be in heaven.

Shaneus

Ventron said:
So I read a report earlier in the week that BHP was set to announce huge earnings. I thought the stock price would skyrocket the next day, but it didn't.

Turns out the report wasn't a BHP leak, but analyst speculation. Peh.

I took a risk anyway and bought BHP today at $38.13 (I could've gotten it cheaper had I acted earlier and not stuffed things up...)

And now...

http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...full-year-profit/story-e6frfkur-1226121385061
Sell your stock now, buy a bottle of Henry K. Duff's Private Reserve.

Ventron

Choc said:
and pay 48% CGT on the profit because you sold within 12 months

UGH :(

Why is our tax system so effing complicated. Why can't it just count as part of income for income tax. Grumble grumble.
The profit announcement was one second after the market closed (clever girl.jpg) so BHP had better rocket up tomorrow morning...

Fredescu

Ventron said:
Why is our tax system so effing complicated. Why can't it just count as part of income for income tax. Grumble grumble.
Agreed that it's overcomplicated, but CGT does count as part of your income for income tax. So you never pay 48%, it would be a maximum 45%, and only for the portion above 180k.

Rahk

Omi said:
Has Aon had his steam account banned as yet?
I doubt Valve actually cares unless the majority of users start doing it and the publishers start complaining or something.

I did the same thing for Borderlands, along with many other people.

I don't see the logic in banning someone who has a history of buying hundreds of games on their service over a small issue.

CryptiK

lovin my touchpad lucky I was at work that day.
we had a queue and everything waiting for them a bazillion phone calls and we had only found out 20mins before they went on sale it went crazy got mine though so I'm happy

Darklord said:
If you used the internet on an iphone/galaxy say everyday for up to an hour or so at most. Just browsed, downloaded some basic apps, watch a video or 2 on youtube. That kind of stuff. Would that burn through 500mb of data in a month? I'd probably use that in a day on my desktop but it's hard to say for a phone.

You'll have to be careful, I'd bump it up to atleast 1gb just to be on the safe side.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
any ond know the best way to use msn or fb chat on a touchpad / ipad or whatevs? I'm not at home tonight and want to use teh msns =[

Shaneus said:
Way to ruin the joke :(
prEIs.png
I've got 8 slabs of beer sitting here and now I have to crack one open. Nice work breaking my spirit buddy. :-(

Why can't I play de3 yet? Discriminating against the common man ain't cool Square, I even bought ff13 at launch! I am the lifeblood of your business!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
any ond know the best way to use msn or fb chat on a touchpad / ipad or whatevs? I'm not at home tonight and want to use teh msns =[

try imo.im and login from that? its a website

Those who have a TouchPad, install the box.net app as you get a 50GB free account, forever. Did someone already mention this? I forget. Either way, do it!

RandomVince said:
In the last 4 weeks Ive read A Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings.

Started on ASoS Pt1 last night. These books are very addicting.

When does the tv series come out here?

Yep, the books are awesome. Game of Thrones comes on Foxtel, it started last month. Though most people say it much earlier over the internet. Next season will start mid next year :/

Ydahs

Just came across this bit of news on Jarrad McVeigh's daughter (Sydney Swans footballer)
THE SYDNEY Swans are in deep mourning after the passing of Luella McVeigh, the baby daughter of co-captain Jarrad and his wife Clementine.

McVeigh won't face Geelong this Saturday after the four-week old tragically passed away in Westmead Hospital on Wednesday afternoon from the serious heart complications she was born with last month.

McVeigh and Clementine were by her side when she died.

The Swans will wear black armbands for Luella, who was born on July 25, when they take on the Cats at Skilled Stadium.
Full Article

Remember reading articles about her health issues not too long back. Heart breaking stuff.

Top Bottom