• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

So I finished Dead Space 2 last night, and after House of the Dead was given the RC stamp, how the hell did DS2 pass...? Some of the scenes we full on, anyone else played it? Me and my bro played together and I still shit my pants on multiple occasions, such a scary game but bloody awesome.

jgminto

Sutton Dagger said:
So I finished Dead Space 2 last night, and after House of the Dead was given the RC stamp, how the hell did DS2 pass...? Some of the scenes we full on, anyone else played it? Me and my bro played together and I still shit my pants on multiple occasions, such a scary game but bloody awesome.
Because apparently there's no need for consistency in a rating system. In what world is Left 4 Dead 2 more gruesome than Dead Space 2?

Choc said:
Apple shares have peaked

Jobs going is a huge huge thing for apple and investors because apple haev never said their succession plan

and that scares investors

Jobs was the guy behind it all, and now he has left. This could be a very interesting day in terms of the Android vs IOS fight in the long term.

Why did he leave just before the upcoming conference in September anyway?

Shaneus

After some minor self-deliberation, I've decided not to jump in on DXHR... yet. Still far too much shit (Vanquish!!111~) in my pile to finish.

jgminto said:
Because apparently there's no need for consistency in a rating system. In what world is Left 4 Dead 2 more gruesome than Dead Space 2?
The enemies in Dead Space 2 are clearly not "human"*, whereas in Left 4 Dead 2, they still appear very human-like. If they were green in L4D2 it wouldn't be an issue.

* Yes, yes, they were all "once" human.

Shaneus said:
I'm already registered on there... can I still use that referral? Maybe I should just sign up for a new account anyway.
I have started multiple accounts in order to get the $5 discount on several new games. AND DE3 IS SO GOOD YOU SHOULD BUY IT. Although it might just be nostalgia talking. Plus I like PC games.

Sutton Dagger said:
Dead Space 2 had a bigger money hat than the one SEGA tried to attach to HotD HD.

jgminto

codswallop said:
The enemies in Dead Space 2 are clearly not "human"*, whereas in Left 4 Dead 2, they still appear very human-like. If they were green in L4D2 it wouldn't be an issue.

* Yes, yes, they were all "once" human.
You are right but I am sure any sane person above the age of 15 would be able to tell a zombie from a human. While it should really be in the R rating I don't think it needed to be edited to fit the current MA rating. And regarding Dead Space 2, You do dismember Necros that look quite similar to young children.

Choc

Banned
MINING giant BHP Billiton's boss Marius Kloppers has labelled Australia's looming carbon tax "a dead weight cost", while outlining its negative impact on coal sector investment.

Just hours after the multinational announced Australia's highest ever corporate financial net profit of $US23.6 billion ($22.46 billion) for the 12 months to June 30, the CEO delivered a bleak assessment of the Gillard government's plans to put a price on carbon.

“This, if you boil it down to its barest essentials, is a tax on coal exports from Australia,” Mr Kloppers told reporters in London.

“And that is a tax which competing countries like Indonesia, South Africa, and so on, do not have.

DEAR BOY WHO CRIED FUCKING WOLF. You said this exact shit about the mining tax and then posted 22.4 billion profits, which sorry YOU DIG THE SHIT OUT OF OUR GROUND YOU GIVE SOME TO US

fuck off and realise the shit is ours you dig out of the ground Kloppers you twat

Bernbaum

As a closet greeny 100% in the employ of the business of burning fossil fuels, I have to note that the resources industry is slightly more complex and not quite as worthy of alarm as our resident Rhodes Scholar would have you all believe.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
As a closet greeny 100% in the employ of the business of burning fossil fuels, I have to note that the resources industry is slightly more complex and not quite as worthy of alarm as our resident Rhodes Scholar would have you all believe.

lol

bern surely you agree a company making 22.4 billion selling stuff which we own in the ground should pay higher tax than a small business

because right now they do not

jgminto

Choc said:
lol

bern surely you agree a company making 22.4 billion selling stuff which we own in the ground should pay higher tax than a small business

But then the CEO might have to take a pay cut. And we can't have that can we?

Bernbaum said:
As another closet greeny 100% in the business of burning fossil fuels, what exactly do you mean?

Also, Mrs Squirrel was sick last night and I tried to be nice and cook her up a stew with mash potatoes. Turns out that you're not supposed to make them using sour cream :(

markot

Banned
Tax the crap out of resources >_< Its our damn crap! BHP can go to the next hole in teh ground when it dries up here, we cant move Australia!

Bernbaum

Do I agree with this overtly generalised statement which neglects to capture the reality of how a large company like BHP operates; how they direct revenue; and the complexity of how existing (pre-carbon tax) laws already affect their daily operations?

Choc said:

No.

markot

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
As another closet greeny 100% in the business of burning fossil fuels, what exactly do you mean?

Also, Mrs Squirrel was sick last night and I tried to be nice and cook her up a stew with mash potatoes. Turns out that you're not supposed to make them using sour cream :(
Mash potatoes with sour cream is the bestest >_>

trinest

Choc said:
MINING giant BHP Billiton's boss Marius Kloppers has labelled Australia's looming carbon tax "a dead weight cost", while outlining its negative impact on coal sector investment.

Just hours after the multinational announced Australia's highest ever corporate financial net profit of $US23.6 billion ($22.46 billion) for the 12 months to June 30, the CEO delivered a bleak assessment of the Gillard government's plans to put a price on carbon.

“This, if you boil it down to its barest essentials, is a tax on coal exports from Australia,” Mr Kloppers told reporters in London.

“And that is a tax which competing countries like Indonesia, South Africa, and so on, do not have.

DEAR BOY WHO CRIED FUCKING WOLF. You said this exact shit about the mining tax and then posted 22.4 billion profits, which sorry YOU DIG THE SHIT OUT OF OUR GROUND YOU GIVE SOME TO US

fuck off and realise the shit is ours you dig out of the ground Kloppers you twat
That aside fuck the carbon tax, Electricity is already to much in NSW. (my brothers bill was over a grand ay, doesn't know if he was accedently builded twice or anything but still pretty fucking high)

Omikron

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2853464.html

I am filled with rage. My spleen swells to explosive proportions and it must be vented.

It's been building for a while, this anger. It grows as I see a New Australia growing, a nation increasingly snobbish and prone to complaining. First it irked, then it grated, but now I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

The tipping point came last week in an article I read in Crikey, in a piece that represented everything to me about just how pathetic we are. And it was an innocuous article for all that: a light fluff piece by a 17-year-old student about a trip to Canberra. The main focus of the article was how difficult it was for the author to find a good coffee. She was especially confronted it seemed, at how difficult it was to find a quality macchiato, and shocked to find a 'charcoal chicken' outlet in the city. "What is this"? You can hear her thinking, "the nation's capital or South Detroit?".

Yeah, you heard it right, a 17-year-old complaining about the scarcity of some boutique coffee choice and the horror of an unsophisticated food shop. And it was published.

<snip>

Well, I'm past giving a sh*t. Your electricity bill is going up? Don't live in a McMansion with six bedrooms, a rumpus room and a home theatre. Bananas expensive? Buy an apple. Soy-milk Chai latte not flavourful enough? Give yourself an uppercut.

<snip>

So.Good.

jgminto

codswallop said:
Obviously not, according to our classification board. Most of them do look like regular people though, and if you didn't know about zombies you could easily be mistaken.
I'd be surprised if a teenager, one that purchased L4D2 no less, would not know what zombies are. I think it could have fit in the MA rating. Especially with games like Gears of War that are present.

Clipper

VOOK said:
Sorry, there is no such thing.

They're all the same.
I'll agree with you that they are all extremely similar, but there are some significant differences to a fan of the series (i.e., me). The character diversity, range of actions, vehicle modes and story progression mechanism do change quite a bit between games. To me, LEGO Batman has my favourite mix of the lot, especially in the character mix. To weigh it up, LEGO Indiana Jones 2 would be the opposite side of the scale (at least for the completionist LEGO game fan).

jgminto said:
I'd be surprised if a teenager, one that purchased L4D2 no less, would not know what zombies are. I think it could have fit in the MA rating. Especially with games like Gears of War that are present.
You're missing the point. It's not about the blood or gore. The rules--which, in a large institution like the government are the rules and no one ever bothers to question them--say that if it looks like a person, it must be judged on different criteria.

That's why you also see "fantasy violence" on trailers like Harry Potter. Stabbing dragons in the face is much different from stabbing people. Apparently.

Yagharek

Choc said:
lol

Isnt that profit though an after-tax value? So you need to at least find out what tax they are paying before flying off the handle again.

I agree in principle that it sounds like theyre not paying enough, but it would help to know what theyre paying in the first place.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Isnt that profit though an after-tax value? So you need to at least find out what tax they are paying before flying off the handle again.

I agree in principle that it sounds like theyre not paying enough, but it would help to know what theyre paying in the first place.

Vince company tax rate is flat across the board in Australia.

Small business and big business pay the same, its not marginalised like income tax.Tax rates 2010-11

The following rates of tax apply to companies for the 2010-11 income year.

Companies

Rate 30 %

This includes corporate limited partnerships, strata title bodies corporate, trustees of corporate unit trusts and public trading trusts.

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/44266.htm

Gazunta

So I guess I can say now that in a week I am moving from development to the publishing side of things.

Or, as Bern put it so eloquently last night, instead of being the person being poked with a stick I am now the guy with the stick running around the cage poking people.

I have already set my homepage to news.com.au and am getting angry about all sorts of things! Exciting!

Choc

Banned
Omi said:

I agree with teh article but given that people are struggling are continuosly told the economy is good and the mining boom is awesome despite it recently costing 1000 jobs in NSW and other issues for tourism etc

i think thats what people are jack of. If Australia is doing so fucking great and BHP is doing so fucking well, why is eveyrthing going up so fucking much.

Welcome to the club Gaz, i'll have that beer soon (be up in brisvegas soonish)

;)

Gazunta said:
So I guess I can say now that in a week I am moving from development to the publishing side of things.

Or, as Bern put it so eloquently last night, instead of being the person being poked with a stick I am now the guy with the stick running around the cage poking people.

I have already set my homepage to news.com.au and am getting angry about all sorts of things! Exciting!
Shouldn't that be The Australian?

Yagharek

Since you missed it the first time choc:

RandomVince said:
Isnt that profit though an after-tax value?

And in the event it is, I'd say ~$10bn tax payment is pretty good money for government. If they were efficient with it, they'd get a few decent hospitals out of it.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:

i didnt miss it you didnt read my post

a company earning 50 billion revenue by digging shit out of our ground and selling our resources then having 22.4 billion profit

is paying 30% tax

a company which employes 20 people, has a revenue of 5 million per year and is struggling right now

is paying 30% tax

that 2nd company is not selling our shit that we own. Therein lies the difference.

its not fair for a company who is digging up minerals that we own, pays the same tax as someone who is not selling something the commonwealth of Australia owns.

If a company sets up shop here makes 30 billion by not selling shit we own, there is zero issue. The issue comes down to the fact the minerals belong to the Australian populace no matter what the fucking miners think

Omikron

Choc said:
I agree with teh article but given that people are struggling are continuosly told the economy is good and the mining boom is awesome despite it recently costing 1000 jobs in NSW and other issues for tourism etc

i think thats what people are jack of. If Australia is doing so fucking great and BHP is doing so fucking well, why is eveyrthing going up so fucking much.

Welcome to the club Gaz, i'll have that beer soon (be up in brisvegas soonish)

;)

Are those bleating the loudest really struggling that much? Or are they just loathed to give up any of those little niceties they have in life?

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:

And in the event it is, I'd say ~$10bn tax payment is pretty good money for government. If they were efficient with it, they'd get a few decent hospitals out of it.

sure 10 billion is good, but thats tax they get anyway. Given they are selling OUR minerals they need to pay more

every single decent economist in australia agrees

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Are those bleating the loudest really struggling that much? Or are they just loathed to give up any of those little niceties they have in life?

that is a fair point omi and those people totally exist, but there are also those struggling who are not in that category

Choc

Banned
profit means after tax

revenue means before tax

edit
The company has reported a net profit of $22.5 billion for the financial year, the biggest in Australian corporate history.

net profit means

costs are paid
tax is paid
employees are paid
every liability required is paid

so pure profit

Fusebox

Banned
I prefer adding cream cheese over sour cream, you get that extra creaminess but don't have to add so much.

Did you sort out your TDS issue with that DNS solution squirrel?

Top Bottom