• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

RandomVince said:
In any case, I am pretty much sworn off buying sony consoles at launch now due to the ridiculous ps2 and ps3 launch prices (both of which I paid, silly me).

Really makes the 3DS price drop pale in comparison.
But the Vita will only be $250 at launch!!!

Shaneus

DeathJr said:
What's a good used car to buy, budget no more than 10k? I'm looking to pop off my ford falcon...
I'm currently driving a '98 Gen2 Subaru Liberty which seems to go for under that price in immaculate condition. I paid around 16k in 2004 with full electrics and haven't regretted it since, the fucker is bulletproof.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
What's a good used car to buy, budget no more than 10k? I'm looking to pop off my ford falcon...

I'd just go for something that's cheap to replace parts for, mazda or toyota perhaps? Depends if youre after something flash or not. Mazdas are nice, weve got a mazda 3 but thats a bit more than 10k.

reptilescorpio said:
But the Vita will only be $250 at launch!!!

$350 in Aus for the base model.

I definitely need a reliable vehicle since I tend to drive a lot. Last year I drove more than 60k kms.

Toyota is my first option, don't want anything flashy for now. A sturdy, reliable vehicle that gives decent mileage will do. I can go 12K or so, I'm going to finance it in any case. My falcon runs on LPG and that's the only reason I've kept it for the past 2 years, but it's turning out to be a little high maintenance.

RandomVince said:
I'd just go for something that's cheap to replace parts for, mazda or toyota perhaps? Depends if youre after something flash or not. Mazdas are nice, weve got a mazda 3 but thats a bit more than 10k.

I have a Mazda 6. Both Mazda and Toyota are really good. but for efficiency and reliability i would point you to Toyota. also probably able to spend less for better there.

jambo

Speaking of cars, going to be buying my first car in Oct/Nov.

Budget will be around $5k-6k, used cars, looking for something medium sized, don't want a crumpadore or failcon.

Suggestions?

jambo said:
Speaking of cars, going to be buying my first car in Oct/Nov.

Budget will be around $5k-6k, looking for something medium, don't want a crumpadore or failcon.

Suggestions?

See above post. Pick a model you like

RandomVince said:
2004 Mazda3 goes for around $10k in private sales, would love one. Love those tailights.
Also import the region-free Vita through Amazon.com from the US for around $253AUD!

elfinke said:
Leaving aside the merits of future funds and taxation, ethically this is by far the most concerning and hasn't received the discourse in the public eye it needs, nay deserves.
Yeah. Whenever I saw those miners on the anti-mining-supertax ads they ran about how the tax would kill their industry and suck the life out of their community, all I could think of was how industrialisation over the past 50 years or so has turned mining into a relatively unmanned affair for such a big industry. If those companies could outsource or mechanise their labour pool, they would.

reptilescorpio said:
2004 Mazda3 goes for around $10k in private sales, would love one. Love those tailights.
Also import the region-free Vita through Amazon.com from the US for around $253AUD!

Has it got a release date yet? if you import will there be any problems with the 3G from Australia etc.?

Yagharek

Fusebox said:
Me too! We got the SP23 sedan, couldn't justify the insurance on the MPS.

What year? We went for the 2006 one (used) but it had under 50k on the odometer when we bought it about a year ago. Runs nicely and its had no problems to date.

Was tempted to get the hatch though but needed a bit more room in it when travelling for work.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not sure, I bought it new but I forget which year. It was the last model they made with the 5-spoke wheel:

ALY64861U.jpg

...before they went to their new Alfa-style 5-Y wheel design:

Sixth_Image_Mazda_3_Tire-wheel.jpg

..which didn't bother me, because I actually prefer the 5-spoke, but they also upgraded the stereo to one which had an iPod input. Although I got the Bose upgrade on mine so I'm not sure if that got the iPod input as well or just the stock radio got the input.

Jintor

I'm tempted to blog the process of hopefully going to Japan to teach english and then maybe ebook publish it or something. I saw one on amazon but it was pretty terribly written. Bought it anyway though because it was $3. Maybe I'm just encouraging terribleness, I dunno.

Rezbit

Gaming PC ordered! No more will I be resigned to a Netbook!

Feel kind of excited. But not like WOOO! Should I feel WOOO? I think the WOOO might come when I'm cranking some games.

Jintor said:
I'm tempted to blog the process of hopefully going to Japan to teach english and then maybe ebook publish it or something.
There was a guy who did the same but produced comics about the whole thing. I only read a preview but it was really great.

Marshmellow said:
Has it got a release date yet? if you import will there be any problems with the 3G from Australia etc.?
3G would most likely be a problem, unless they use sim cards that can be swapped out. No idea how that works as I will only grab the wifi model. 3G models of stuff is just overpriced.

Fusebox said:
Me too! We got the SP23 sedan, couldn't justify the insurance on the MPS.
Super jelly, would love a SP23. So sexy.

I used to worry about the future of our world. Pretty useless though so now I just assume everything will be well and truely fucked before my child passes away. Capitalism Ho!

legend166

Rezbit said:

Feel kind of excited. But not like WOOO! Should I feel WOOO? I think the WOOO might come when I'm cranking some games.

Specs?

You heading down to the cattery to watch us get pumped this weekend?

jambo

Rezbit said:

Specs?

Yagharek

Fusebox said:
A 13 year old Subaru?

haha.

Speaking of Subaru, I was digging around cleaning out a cupboard of my old stuff in storage at my parents. I found my old Transformers Binaltech (ie diecast Alternators series) of a transformer with the old Impreza WRC kit.

Yagharek

Fusebox said:
Compared to a Commo'? No. Compared to a Volvo or something European? Shit yes.

Yeah that was implied I thought.

Ford/Holden/Toyota are cheap in Aus, and Mazda isn't much more considering the vehicle quality is approaching* that of your "lower end" EU stuff like BMW or Alfa.

* not a linear scale :p but mazdas are really good

Fredescu

Annabel Crabb doing rhyming commentary on question time is the best thing ever.

CrabbTwitsard Annabel Crabb
Greens and Nats here mend their schism! (They both support protectionism) #qt
33 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CrabbTwitsard Annabel Crabb
(Hockey) Steel taxed here, but not in China: Hence the choices of the miner. #qt
10 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

elfinke

I'll add that the Mazda's are really good, but they're also fucking tiny, which I realise isn't a point of contention in this thread. Just throwing it out there.

I wanted a 6 when we bought our last car, but I couldn't reasonably fit in it. The car we actually took for a test drive I couldn't get in without changing the wheel, seat and every other movable thing first. And I'm not huge. Had to go up a size of vehicles in the end.

Jintor said:
Cool, link me.
I was trying to find it but I couldn't. Google fail. Pretty sure I saw it on Boing Boing (and it wasn't Tonoharu, but some guy who sketched things in a notebook, like how he imagined what using the public toilet was going to be like).

Ohhh man, the El Maco and shaker fries. Just had a massive flashback.

Rezbit

legend166 said:
Specs?

You heading down to the cattery to watch us get pumped this weekend?

CM 690 II Advanced
ASRock Z68 Pro3 (which was actually pretty cheap)
Intel Core i5 2500k
2x4GB of Ripjaws X ram (pretty cheap too...for the same price as my bros rig I built 9 months ago got double the ram)
560 ti Golden Sample - couldn't find heaps of reviews, but the few I did find were good enough...seems to be a decent 560 ti factory overclocked. Was going to go for the Twin Frozr II, until PCCG jacked up the price! Took too long to pull the trigger. That goes for 3 hund now :|

And nah, I'm back in TAS til the end of the year. I get the feeling they will have a red hot crack though. Bit like pulling teeth trying to get into the Cattery at the best of times apparently. Only one small spot for opposition members behind the goals.

Fredescu said:
The WOOO will come when you're editing ini files.

I remember trying to do that like 10 years ago, just to get Unreal Tournament running better in "software renderer."

Jintor

codswallop said:
I was trying to find it but I couldn't. Google fail. Pretty sure I saw it on Boing Boing (and it wasn't Tonoharu, but some guy who sketched things in a notebook, like how he imagined what using the public toilet was going to be like).

Awww. Please keep a lookout for it, it sounds interesting.

Yagharek

elfinke said:
I'll add that the Mazda's are really good, but they're also fucking tiny, which I realise isn't a point of contention in this thread. Just throwing it out there.

I wanted a 6 when we bought our last car, but I couldn't reasonably fit in it. The car we actually took for a test drive I couldn't get in without changing the wheel, seat and every other movable thing first. And I'm not huge. Had to go up a size of vehicles in the end.

A fair point. I guess these are just ideas to throw out when we dont know if deathjr is taking his cars bush or not (he did say he was driving 60k per year).

If you want a tiny car, have a look at any of the VW cars from 10 years ago. Passat I think they were called, though they may have been rebadged Opel cars? THEY were so uncomfortable it wasnt funny.

VW Golfs these days have an awesome reputation too, but they are pricey and small.

elfinke

Rezbit said:
And nah, I'm back in TAS til the end of the year. I get the feeling they will have a red hot crack though. Bit like pulling teeth trying to get into the Cattery at the best of times apparently. Only one small spot for opposition members behind the goals.

TAS?

I noticed the MSI price go up too, but thought it was my imagination! Nice build too, by the way.

Speaking of notebooks, does anyone know where to buy Moleskines in Melbourne? Kikki K in Chadstone no longer have them and I only know of Borders as the other place I could find them. Need it before the end of next week so Amazon UK (which I just found out ships them to Australia cheap) is not an option.

Top Bottom