• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Darklord

Banned
Omi said:
No. That was awful.

"These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun, and I think it's great they regarded me as their favorite Wallaby," Samo said. "I didn't have an issue with it at all. I was glad to be in a photo with them, so I don't know why anyone is getting worked up - that sort of reaction is just silly."

Shit, if the guy they they dressed up as liked it, why are other people freaking over it? Most people who are getting offended probably aren't even black.

Choc

Banned
FWIW i wasn't offended by it i was just posting it to have discussion about it

I think QANTAS encouraging black boot polish is a bit much but aside from that.

Also from the news article

'J-man of Brisbane Posted at 9:08 AM Today
I'm probably going to kick a hornet's nest here, but if we step back and look at it, why is it offensive? I'm a dark-skinned person and I do not think this is vilifying. It's not demeaning. It doesn't incite discrimination. To me, this actually does the opposite. It's two guys trying to look like their favourite player - and saying "He's fantastic, he has an awesome fro, he has dark sin, he plays for Australia. He's the best". With any impersonation, there are a range of physical attributes to copy and skin colour is one of them. No one should be discriminated for skin colour, but at the same time differences in colour should be celebrated! Imitation is a form of flattery.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-apologises-for-radike-samo-rugby-union-twitter-farce/story-e6frfq80-1226124074979#ixzz1WNHKXd10'

*citizenkane.gif*

legend166

It's insulting in the States because initiation wasn't used as a form of flattery, but rather a way to ridicule and dehumanise African Americans.

Obviously we live in a different culture, but after everything that went down with the Hey Hey skit, these guys probably should have known better.

Shaneus

125859-qantas-red-faced.jpg

Perhaps we should use this photo instead.

Kerrby said:
It shouldn't even be an issue, just like the Hey Hey skit shouldn't have been blown out to massive proportions like it was.

That they did it isn't the worst. I think it's just off. I wouldn't do it. And I'd be pretty disappointing in any of my friends if they did it.
They could have looked plenty like Radike if they just had the wigs on.

The issue is that Qantas rewarded them for doing it.

Omikron

Darklord said:
"These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun, and I think it's great they regarded me as their favorite Wallaby," Samo said. "I didn't have an issue with it at all. I was glad to be in a photo with them, so I don't know why anyone is getting worked up - that sort of reaction is just silly."

Shit, if the guy they they dressed up as liked it, why are other people freaking over it? Most people who are getting offended probably aren't even black.

I was talking about the Hey Hey skit.

Choc said:
i think the bigger issue is that QANTAS an aussie icon encouraged it
Eh, just like Fosters is seen as an Australian icon overseas QANTAS is fast losing its place in our hearts. Especially since it will only have 5 or 6 Australian employees soon.

First gaming decice was an old Atari with River Raid et al but I was too young to remember. The good times started to roll when we got a Master System with Alex Kidd built in. What followed was several brilliant Wonder Boy games that sparked my interest in RPG's and the usual Sonic games. We also had Donald Duck in Lucky Dime Caper which had fantastic art and decent gameplay. Great childhood memory. Next door neighbour had a Game Gear which we proceeded to play all the classics like Ecco and Golden Axe. Loved that thing.

After we moved from the (relatively) bustling metropolis of Adelaide to the middle of nowhere in north west Victoria it became harder to come across games since the closest Newsagent was 50km away and the nearest K-Mart was 150km. Ended up with a Lynx for Christmas one year with Batman Returns (awful) and Altered Beat (awesome). Would need a change of batteries every 45 minutes.

My parents eventually got a half decent PC which came with NFS:SE. Man that was so mind blowing at the time. Started picking up PCPP at that time which came with a demo for CMI. Which lead to me needing to grab the SMI+LR collected disc. Which lead to me buying my first game with my own (birthday/christmas) money after making the long drive 5 hour drive to Adelaide for the holidays. That box art! That full colour manual! I also got Dark Forces 2 around that time too which had the huge, vast levels and force powers!

Along the way my parents got us a PSOne for Crash Bandicoot. Which lead to me buying FFVII when it went platinum with some leftover birthday cash. After 80 odd hours gaming had now become an addiction for me. It was the game that drew me in so much and let me invest so much in that I would forever love gaming and think about it all day long. It was the point where gaming seemed to have more potential for greatness than any other medium. It was beyond movies or books. It encompased everything that could immerse a person in an experience as close as possible to living it in reality. It can be and one day will be just as good as being in the situation in person. That idea blew me away and I wish I had of taken a path in life to move that possiblity forward.

I have also had; Game Boy Pocket, GBA, DSPhat, PSPLite, PS2Phat and Lite, 360 x3, PS3Lite.

Jintor

I just bought a PS3, so clearly it's now time to upgrade my PC. It's really fucking loud and it's getting slow and this sucks.

What do I need to buy to make the damn thing quieter? I was planning to upgrade the PSU and the Motherboard but I was thinking that around that level of spending I might as well just get an entirely new system.

Jintor said:
I just bought a PS3, so clearly it's now time to upgrade my PC. It's really fucking loud and it's getting slow and this sucks.

What do I need to buy to make the damn thing quieter? I was planning to upgrade the PSU and the Motherboard but I was thinking that around that level of spending I might as well just get an entirely new system.
Newer components, 'quiet' harddrive. Mine is newer and it's pretty loud, mostly due to the fans

Kerrby said:
Hey that is a nice Nintendo news site! Might have to add it to my bookmarks. ;) Joking Vook.

Jintor said:
New PSU will help a bit as well as a CPU/GPU that isn't forcing their fans to work at full power. Maybe swap out some of the case fans for better quality ones. Maybe look at a CPU cooler like the 212+ too. PCgaf thread will be a huge help.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
It's insulting in the States because initiation wasn't used as a form of flattery, but rather a way to ridicule and dehumanise African Americans.

Obviously we live in a different culture, but after everything that went down with the Hey Hey skit, these guys probably should have known better.

This is a sensible medium position that I agree with. Blackface doesnt have the same history in Australia that it does in the USA, but at the same time it's something that does have potential to hit a raw nerve amongst more than a few people.

I think it's great that the player in question seemed to appreciate it for what it was though.

Yagharek

Hey vook, any word on if Pac Man / Galaga Dimensions is getting a local release? I havent seen any places with it advertised and its out in the UK.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
RandomVince said:
Hey vook, any word on if Pac Man / Galaga Dimensions is getting a local release? I havent seen any places with it advertised and its out in the UK.

It should be out (25th).

Review going up of it tonight, it's goooood.

Yagharek

VOOK said:
It should be out (25th).

Review going up of it tonight, it's goooood.

Excellent. <3

I was just going to get it for Pac Man CE, so anything else is a bonus. BTW did you know you can get Namco Museum Generations on DS locally (EB preowned import dealio). It has the legendary Pac Man VS. Waka waka.

I'll check jb then for the 3DS one.

Jintor

I don't know the dude who did your Naruto Shippuden 3D review Vooks, but that game was ass. I got paid to play it and I still felt cheated.

VOOK

Sutton Dagger said:
I saw the Zelda concert thing earlier this morning, I really hope we get one, preferably in Sydney ;)

You doing a review of Xenoblade Vooks?

Yup will be up on Wednesday/Thursday. We're not rushing this one. (Plus the US media can't beat us to it for once).

Jintor said:
I don't know the dude who did your Naruto Shippuden 3D review Vooks, but that game was ass. I got paid to play it and I still felt cheated.

Same guy who will be doing the Xenoblade one :p

He's on AusGAF btw.

I have a crappy drawing that's crap but not quite finished to the level of crappiness that it needed to be. And then I forgot to submit it.

VOOK

Competition has closed, haven't had time to replace it on the homepage yet.

Drawing it tonight, may or may not be up tonight. But drawn tonight.

VOOK

codswallop said:
You need expiry dates on there, man! Time to get coding!

I'm upgrading to Wordpress as we speak, having trouble getting the data all across though. :(

VOOK

codswallop said:
Been there. All the taxonomy-type tables make it quite difficult. There's a lot in there.

Yup, pretty much. If it was just the one db the posts one, I've done that before easy. But then there's a separate meta DB as well. Gotta work on a perl or PHP script to it, but I don't know how :(

Have you tried putting in a couple of real-world posts, organising them how you want, and then exporting those? Using mysqldump or similar. Might give you a better idea of where everything's meant to go.

VOOK

codswallop said:
Have you tried putting in a couple of real-world posts, organising them how you want, and then exporting those? Using mysqldump or similar. Might give you a better idea of where everything's meant to go.

There's a few in there that the theme creator put in, I don't want to delete them and put my own in yet because it's good to see how they're laid out etc. But there's so much extra data I might have to.

I pretty much know what I have to do, just now 'how' to do easy. I did a dump of old DB and transferred over last time, but didn't have any of this extra meta stuff.

Omikron

Hrmmm, just oredered the 7 Wonders board game (+ first expansion), is one I have been interested in for a while, but finally got around to purchasing.

Might live at work for a while until I can sneak it past the wife. :p

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
So my (soon to be) new manager has gotten approval to hire me.

The only thing that can go wrong is if my current manager blocks it.

if someone tries to blackball you (stop getting promoted/moved) you do the following but you MUST have the guts to go through with it

you tell them that if i can't go (assuming they make indications they aren't going to let you go) then I will leave and go to another company so either way they lose you.

black balling is fucking annoying to be honest, i see it quite a bit.

legend166

RandomVince said:
Good luck legend.

So whats the attraction of the new job? More money or something you're more interested in moving into?

Same pay, but the role is actually in the area I want to have a career in (networking).

choc, the problem is if they call my bluff I'm totally screwed, haha.

Anyway I'm very confident my manager won't stuff me over. Let's just say I'm not exactly mission critical in my current position.

Choc

Banned
you are not screwed legend, you go to another company. You don't like your job, and someone is stopping you move on (if that happens) so why on earth would you stay?

What you do by saying I will leave is taking away the very reason they want you to not go. They want to retain you. You put the control back in your hands by saying well guess what, im outta here then.

Therefore either way, they lose you so there is no bonus to them holding you back.

Choc said:
you are not screwed legend, you go to another company. You don't like your job, and someone is stopping you move on (if that happens) so why on earth would you stay?

What you do by saying I will leave is taking away the very reason they want you to not go. They want to retain you. You put the control back in your hands by saying well guess what, im outta here then.

Therefore either way, they lose you so there is no bonus to them holding you back.
Most smart companies operate on the principle that it is hard to retrain if you do retain. So hopefully you work for a smart company. No point losing you after all the experience you have accrued as the next newbie to replace you will take 6 months to get up to speed.

Also new Entourage! Plus 360 controller for PC arrived (means I can buy a non-bluetooth motherboard as I don't need motionjoy)! Duke 4 for 360! New textbook!

FML!

Found a SEXY car: Mitsubishi Sports Red (2004, low kms), on LPG, 18" alloy rims, spoiler, etc. and only 12K!

But I couldn't get a loan because they need one year employment record in the same job (ABN) :(

VOOK

My bro got a awesome car recently, 2009 Ford Fiesta LX, Alloys, Bluetooth, Perfect Condition for 13k. Real kicker is only had 8000k's on it.

Bargain.

markot said:
Cant you do one of those dodgy car loan tv ads thingys?!
Usually the problem with stuff like Motor Finance Wizard is that it isn't actually a loan. It is a lease. As in once you have paid the money back they take the car off you.

VOOK said:
My bro got a awesome car recently, 2009 Ford Fiesta LX, Alloys, Bluetooth, Perfect Condition for 13k. Real kicker is only had 8000k's on it.

Bargain.
Obviously someone died in it and will come back for revenge taking control of the car and going on a murder spree, Carmageddon style.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Usually the problem with stuff like Motor Finance Wizard is that it isn't actually a loan. It is a lease. As in once you have paid the money back they take the car off you.
The problem with Motor Finance Wizard is that they will only "lend" you money for cars that they themselves sell, at massive ($10k+) markups. This person paid $18k for a car worth $3k: http://www.businessesfromhell.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=580

There's nothing wrong with leases per se. MFW use them to get around laws against dodgy practices: http://www.consumeraction.org.au/downloads/MediaRelease-MotorFinanceWizard170409.pdf

Top Bottom