• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Darklord

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
At least these days the internet makes it a lot easier to track.

You can't even access it through the normal internet. You have to use TOR. If people can do what they do on that network and not be jail for life already then either no one is trying or no one can.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
"Deep web" is nothing but stuff that isn't cached on a search engine or other directory. That's all.
This might even be a bit deeper still... they have the domain suffix (or whatever) as .onion and can only be accessed via Tor.

I had a brief look at it last night, only got so far as Silk Road (that they discussed on Wired) and some Wiki that had links to *everything*... even seeing those was enough to scare me into not checking it out ever again.

Omikron

I AM SO FUCKING CLOSE TO SOLVING A PROBLEM THAT HAS GIVEN MY THE SHITS FOR DAYS THAT I JUST WANT TO YELL AND TALK IN CAPS.

CODING IS BAD FOR YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE. MAN.

Shaneus said:
This might even be a bit deeper still... they have the domain suffix (or whatever) as .onion and can only be accessed via Tor.
Surely that'd only be custom DNS settings and IP/subnet restrictions (to TOR IPs) though. I'm sure if you knew what the servers expected you could change your settings accordingly and not have to use TOR.

My point is that if it's connected to the Internet, it's still part of the Internet. It might be harder to get to but it's the same Internet.

Think of it as a custom VPN through TOR.

jambo

NeoGAF shirts arrived this morning! =D

Has anyone submitted any of the AusGAF ideas? I would but I'm hopeless when it comes to Photoshop.

Tell me more of this 'deep web'....I'm intrigued. How do you get to it? Why isn't it policed? Can it be policed? Wikipedia told me nothing, and I can't be bothered researching it more than that at the moment.

Also, which upcoming rugby game looks better? And will either be better than the complete crap that pretty much every prior rugby game has been?

Yagharek

So anyone else managed to jump off the new release/AAA hype cycle/DLC wagon?

Just saw the Gears 2400 spacebuck subscription service. Not a game I was going to get, but it seems to me that the levels of absurdity the games industry is reaching are too much for me.
Even C-grade game releases like Borderlands, Bulletstorm and Alpha Protocol even get that shit now.

Let's try create the most ridiculous tiered pricing for a product release ever:

Hypothetical Game X:
Regular edition with discounted online pass code
Steelbook edition (retailer exclusive) with free online pass
Limited Edition - 4 retailer exclusive flavours, each with different character costumes, avatard rewards, limited period (6 month worth) online pass, preorder access to beta for the sequel
Collectors Edition - same as limited edition, bonus 30 page artbook and download voucher for a CD soundtrack
Ultimate edition - same as collectors edition, plus a statue of the main character's pet dog, a carry bag and a 12 month online pass valid for a 10% discount off the DLC due 2 months after release and an ULTRA RARE downloadable weapon that is either gold/fluoro pink/camo patterned. Only 3 million produced, all individually numbered and RRP of $299.95.

Then people have the gall to complain about Super Mario All Stars Wii sold at $40.

Fuck this industry.

jambo

FallbackPants said:
Tell me more of this 'deep web'....I'm intrigued. How do you get to it? Why isn't it policed? Can it be policed? Wikipedia told me nothing, and I can't be bothered researching it more than that at the moment.

It's the same webs, it's just it hasn't been indexed by the major search engines.

It's akin to using a fishing net to trawl the top of the ocean; you're going to miss everything below the surface. It's estimated that the surface web is a few hundred terabytes in size, while the "deep web" or "invisible web" is anywhere between 7,000 and 90,000 terabytes.

Then there's TOR, which is just an anonymous way of surfing.

Omikron

Megadrive said:
What are you trying so solve?

Ummm, I have a new screen I am designing which is completely dynamic in a classic MVVM style, but is essentially a flow chart looking thing. What I needed to solve was how to draw in the connections between the dynamic objects in a nice way that made sense and didn't kill the performance. Just was something new when I haven't done it with WPF before, but, man, solving it was great. Looks good now.

Choc

Banned
Season pass does not piss me off that much. It was very good with LA Noire, you got all the DLC for a lot less than individually priced, just had to commit early.

same with gears.

legend166

I've still never bought any limited edition or DLC (apart from Rock Band songs). Staying strong.

Also, has anyone else read that thread on OT about the Gizmodo article on dating the Magic dude? Sure, naming the guy was mean, but the amount of vitriol in that thread and from the 'nerd' community on the internet is amazing. Honestly makes me uncomfortable reading it.

jambo

It wasn't naming him that was mean, it was the incredibly bitchy and snarky way she went about it describing the date. This is something that this guy has poured his heart and soul in to, taking up a huge chunk of his life, and she just dismisses it as something in the same category as Pogs.

Plus she was the one who pushed the issue. He casually mentions it, then she asks him more questions about it whilst laughing at him and judging him inside her head. And that strike one, strike two, strike three stuff is absolute bullshit.

Disgraceful article, Gizmodo is a joke.

Yagharek

Yeah I just read it then. Pretty poorly written article, but havent caught up to the outrage yet so I dunno.

Been summed up fairly well though: how dare someone have a hobby.

legend166

jambo said:
It wasn't naming him that was mean, it was the incredibly bitchy and snarky way she went about it describing the date. This is something that this guy has poured his heart and soul in to, taking up a huge chunk of his life, and she just dismisses it as something in the same category as Pogs.

Plus she was the one who pushed the issue. He casually mentions it, then she asks him more questions about it whilst laughing at him and judging him inside her head. And that strike one, strike two, strike three stuff is absolute bullshit.

Disgraceful article, Gizmodo is a joke.

You don't think the response is entirely disproportional to the crime? Like 15 pages of people calling her an ugly bitch?

RandomVince said:

Just saw the Gears 2400 spacebuck subscription service. Not a game I was going to get, but it seems to me that the levels of absurdity the games industry is reaching are too much for me.
Even C-grade game releases like Borderlands, Bulletstorm and Alpha Protocol even get that shit now.

Let's try create the most ridiculous tiered pricing for a product release ever:

Hypothetical Game X:
Regular edition with discounted online pass code
Steelbook edition (retailer exclusive) with free online pass
Limited Edition - 4 retailer exclusive flavours, each with different character costumes, avatard rewards, limited period (6 month worth) online pass, preorder access to beta for the sequel
Collectors Edition - same as limited edition, bonus 30 page artbook and download voucher for a CD soundtrack
Ultimate edition - same as collectors edition, plus a statue of the main character's pet dog, a carry bag and a 12 month online pass valid for a 10% discount off the DLC due 2 months after release and an ULTRA RARE downloadable weapon that is either gold/fluoro pink/camo patterned. Only 3 million produced, all individually numbered and RRP of $299.95.

Then people have the gall to complain about Super Mario All Stars Wii sold at $40.

Fuck this industry.
And thats why I mainly stick to handheld games, don't have to put up with that crap, you get one version of the game, sometimes developers like Atlus release awesome packs with CDs of something. But for the most part its the game and no worrying about stupid limited editions or DLC codes.

Yagharek

If you put yourself that far out there, make a ridiculous argument and look down on someone for their hobby, should you really be surprised at the response?

jambo

RandomVince said:

The only DLC I really buy is stuff like Fallout where you are guaranteed to get 5-10 hours of high quality content. Plus, I always check the threads in Gaming to see if the DLC is worth it.

Plus I get a lot of it for free =P

elfinke

I'm sure there is some great value there for Gears junkies, and it's probably even justifiable in that regard, but as someone who doesn't 'get' DLC (in both meanings of the word):

FUCKING WOW.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
I've still never bought any limited edition or DLC (apart from Rock Band songs). Staying strong.

Also, has anyone else read that thread on OT about the Gizmodo article on dating the Magic dude? Sure, naming the guy was mean, but the amount of vitriol in that thread and from the 'nerd' community on the internet is amazing. Honestly makes me uncomfortable reading it.
It did the rounds on twitter before I saw it on GAF, and the sentiments of those on my twitterfeed were decrying the shameless grab for hits from Gizmodo, which is a valid criticism of the site and the article in question. Then I load up GAF and the discussion is all 'LOL sharp knees'.

Gizmodo remains terrible, much like the rest of Gawker media. Spur of the moment journalism that begs for quick hits. I stopped reading when they purchased that mistakenly lost iPhone and milked it for all it was worth in the most blatant of fashions. Engadget is a very good site.

Yagharek

One thing I'm afraid to ask rather than get banned in the GOW3 thread is this:

If the DLC represents a "33% saving" at 2400 points, why the FUCK does it cost so much in the first place?

$40 for map packs? REALLY?

Omi said:
Ummm, I have a new screen I am designing which is completely dynamic in a classic MVVM style, but is essentially a flow chart looking thing. What I needed to solve was how to draw in the connections between the dynamic objects in a nice way that made sense and didn't kill the performance. Just was something new when I haven't done it with WPF before, but, man, solving it was great. Looks good now.
I wish I knew what any of that many lol. I've used WPF before and it was mostly harmless.

by the end of Thursday, my comrades and I must complete a prealpha demo for some snotty high schoolers to test. We don't have the shooting started yet. doesn't help that they can't come in outside of normal class hours. I'm heading in now for instance. Can't seem to follow the task/issuetracker either.

Yagharek

Oh and while I'm ranting:

People complaining about portable game prices. As if anything over $2 is "rough".

Let's see (Australian prices)

$69 for Ocarina of Time
$99 for Gears of War 3
2400 spacebucks for Gears 3 DLC ($40 or thereabouts IIRC) and this is if you "preorder DLC" which is a ridiculous concept to begin with.
edit: 3600 spacebucks at non-sale price (just under $60 AUD)

I'd take the former.

Salazar

legend166 said:
You don't think the response is entirely disproportional to the crime? Like 15 pages of people calling her an ugly bitch?

Snarky disproportion is Gawker's modus operandi. She'd better be able to take it.

Echoplx

jambo said:
Interesting thread in OT asking if people still had landline phones in their homes. I don't.

Anyone here got one?

Technically the connection is there and we have a phone number but we haven't plugged an actual phone in :lol

elfinke

jambo said:
Interesting thread in OT asking if people still had landline phones in their homes. I don't.

Anyone here got one?

Yup, it never gets used by us though. Only have it for emergencies, ADSL and for relatives to ring us on.

jambo said:

Anyone here got one?

I have the phone, and the line, but it's not connected. I'm planning on doing it eventually, but I'm not planning on actually using it.

jambo said:

Anyone here got one?
It's for people to call me on (or for calling ahead for take-out) rather than for me to call people. Basically, I only have it because there's a certain segment of the older generation that treats you as not-quite-an-adult or semi-homeless if you don't have a landline.

jambo

I meant more having a connected phone line, but you guys seemed to have covered that already.

To clarify, the place I'm in now and the place I'm moving in to the on the weekend both have landlines, but we don't have any services on them.

Naked ADSL2+ ftw

jambo said:
I meant more having a connected phone line, but you guys seemed to have covered that already.

To clarify, the place I'm in now and the place I'm moving in to the on the weekend both have landlines, but we don't have any services on them.

Naked ADSL2+ ftw

I was all about naked ADSL once, but after looking at plans for my new place they were more expensive than the equivalent bundle.

I have a phone line mainly because it's on a plan where it costs me the same to have it as it would if I didn't. Plus all calls Australia-wide are included.

FallbackPants said:
I was all about naked ADSL once, but after looking at plans for my new place they were more expensive than the equivalent bundle.
That's because you're basically paying for the wholesale line rental.

Jintor

legend166 said:

This is the internet. The response is always disproportional to the crime.

Terrible, terrible journalism though.

jambo

If I go with Easy Broadband on Internode, I'd have to either get a $30 a month line rental from Telstra or bundle it with a $30 a month NodePhone plan from Internode.

For the 1,000 GB plan it's $120 + $30 = $150
For the 1,000 GB Naked plan the cost is $150

Then if you start making calls on the NodePhone you have to obviously pay more, when my mobile phone already works perfectly fine.

I don't understand how Naked is more hassle when it means you don't have a phone line rental and monthly call costs to worry about =\

Omikron

Megadrive said:
I wish I knew what any of that many lol. I've used WPF before and it was mostly harmless.

WPF appears mostly harmless when doing basic layout stuff, but some of the dynamic binding you can do can be a bit of a mind melt if you let it get to you.

But when you figure it out, it is pretty glorious.

Echoplx

I get TPG unlimited for 60$ a month including line rental..

When I rang up about getting naked they said in order to get it I would have to get a line connected and then disconnect it anyway (probably just a stupid sales person but w/e)

Top Bottom