• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

Fredescu said:
The problem with Motor Finance Wizard is that they will only "lend" you money for cars that they themselves sell, at massive ($10k+) markups. This person paid $18k for a car worth $3k: http://www.businessesfromhell.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=580

There's nothing wrong with leases per se. MFW use them to get around laws against dodgy practices: http://www.consumeraction.org.au/downloads/MediaRelease-MotorFinanceWizard170409.pdf

legend166 said:
But they have such a catchy jingle!

Quoting for a new page? Quoting for a new page?

Quoting. for. a. new. page?

YES!

Fredescu said:
The problem with Motor Finance Wizard is that they will only "lend" you money for cars that they themselves sell, at massive ($10k+) markups. This person paid $18k for a car worth $3k: http://www.businessesfromhell.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=580

There's nothing wrong with leases per se. MFW use them to get around laws against dodgy practices: http://www.consumeraction.org.au/downloads/MediaRelease-MotorFinanceWizard170409.pdf
The best thing is how many people are getting rich off of the misery of thousands. Plus the fact that they have been doing it for quite some time now.

Fredescu said:
Quoting for a new page? Quoting for a new page?

Quoting. for. a. new. page?

YES!
Need to join GAF Platinum. 1000 ppp.

Edit: Also Fred how can I get a m4 128Gb cheap? Decided on my parts just have to work out the cheapest options now.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Also new Entourage!
Any good? Not that it matters, I shall still enjoy! Always feels weird that I watch it by myself and not while drunk/high with a few mates, though.
Plus 360 controller for PC arrived (means I can buy a non-bluetooth motherboard as I don't need motionjoy)!
I have mine coming sometime this week too... I don't really need it for the PC adapter, but I'm sure it will come in handy. The controller itself will be used on the console. I bet it will look like arse with a white rechargeable pack with a white chat pad :/
de Blob 2, Party Animals and Deathsmiles should be here soon too. Woo!

My copy of Duke 4 from Play-Asia also included a DLC code for Big Head Mode as well as a specially made Duke 4 sticker with Play-Asia branding on it saying "Thank your for your order!" I have no idea why they would get these made up. Why would I stick it on anything when it has that kind of greeting on it?

Also this Divine Cybermancy game has me very, very intrigued. Reminds me of SysShock 2 for some strange feeling. Might be my next PC game after de3.

jambo

Still no NeoGAF shirts.

And I've been avoiding Facebook, Twitter, AusGAF and NeoGAF OT because I missed the F1s last night. Going to watch the replay tonight.

jambo said:
Still no NeoGAF shirts.

And I've been avoiding Facebook, Twitter, AusGAF and NeoGAF OT because I missed the F1s last night. Going to watch the replay tonight.

/Spoilers The guy in the car won because he went faster than the other guys in cars.

Edit: F1 seems like something that would be much more fun to attend than it would be to watch, from this outsiders perspective, any truth in that statement?

jambo said:
Still no NeoGAF shirts.

Webber won.
Probably not. He usually doesn't. No idea. Anything after 10pm is too late for me. :(

Axiom

Write a report on EBGames as part of your business course when you're sick and you end up with something incredibly bitter sounding. Probably don't need to include summaries of the decline of the Wii, Blockbuster and Borders, the latent sexism among male enthusiasts where any woman has a game job over 'someone qualified like me' and how they'll correct staff suggesting a Spyborgs over Call of Duty for an 8 year old due to bad childhood memories when they didn't have disposable income - while happily willing to pay above retail for a bonus black beanie.

Maybe I am just bitter, but I've never even worked in game retail

Shaneus

jambo said:
Still no NeoGAF shirts.

It was AWESOME. If you can, watch the qualifying as well. Almost as good as the race, I shit you not.

Axiom said:
Write a report on EBGames as part of your business course when you're sick and you end up with something incredibly bitter sounding. Probably don't need to include summaries of the decline of the Wii, Blockbuster and Borders, the latent sexism among male enthusiasts where any woman has a game job over 'someone qualified like me' and how they'll correct staff suggesting a Spyborgs over Call of Duty for an 8 year old due to bad childhood memories when they didn't have disposable income - while happily willing to pay above retail for a bonus black beanie.

Maybe I am just bitter, but I've never even worked in game retail

I'm not at all surprised but that's kind of shocking when put into words. Some of the best staff I've ever dealt with at EB have been women. Actually I can safely say the very best was. Worked at Toowong EB, helped out on relatively minor things well beyond what I expected and was really happy, good to talk to too and just all around awesome. On the off chance she is a Gaffer and reading this, you rock.

God I love mediawatch. If I could be as half as smuggly awesome as Jonathon Holmes I'd be ecstatic

Choc

Banned
media watch tonight was a joke in some ways. How did they not cover the bullshit channel 9 thing in Brisbane?

that was crazy

also alan jones needs to be taken off air. He will just sprout shit forever.

Jintor

Oh god I can't work with DX:HR on the same computer. Goddamnit.

Agyar said:
I read Popular Science (on my iPad). Do you write for the mag or is there other stuff on the website as well?

Only in the mag methinks, unless my editor is doing something he's not telling me.

Agyar

Jintor said:
Only in the mag methinks, unless my editor is doing something he's not telling me.

I will find your article, assuming it'll be in next month's issue.

I also just realised that Popular Science has it's own iPad app with a more Wired-style presentation than what's available via Zinio (which is the print version on screen). Pity I already bought a year's sub through Zinio.

Holy moley Duke 4 on 360 is horrible! Looks works than Prey which came out back when the 360 launched and the load times are immense! Whoever did the 360 port should be ashamed.

Fredescu said:
No idea outside of static ice.
If I freeze myself until SSD's are cheaper than regular HDD right now global warming should wake me up before I get brain damage right? Otherwise I think I will just have to bite the bullet and pay full price.

Axiom

FallbackPants said:
I'm not at all surprised but that's kind of shocking when put into words. Some of the best staff I've ever dealt with at EB have been women. Actually I can safely say the very best was. Worked at Toowong EB, helped out on relatively minor things well beyond what I expected and was really happy, good to talk to too and just all around awesome. On the off chance she is a Gaffer and reading this, you rock.

Yeah, I've run into some great EB staff at Fountain Gate over the years and the good service is why I'm slow to jump on any bandwagon slating the place - I don't blame the staff, I blame upper management policy that has actively been hurting the chances of a good relationship between EB and it's customers (be they consumers or publishers).

Even in general, I think a good portion of anyone in the enthusiast crowd will read something by ANY enthusiast writer and automatically assume they would do a better job. It doesn't matter if you're Serrels, it doesn't matter if you just update the company Facebook page, the gamer at large assumes their experiences and their opinions make themselves more qualified for any industry job, and their opinion gets worse if you're a woman. From the local EB employee, to the women in your game company who was one of the best at what she did, to the whole Good Game fiasco where absolutely nobody came away looking good.

Or maybe I'm still just angry at the bullshit I read about the incredibly professional lady when she was covering the R-Rating decision for Gamespot, who then handled an on the spot interview from Channel 9 that was trying to get her to say the wrong things and it IS nice to see people defend KotakuAU when it comes to blanket declarations about Kotaku as a group.

But the way gamers at large react to anything related to the industry (that isn't the games themselves) is to paint everything as Superman 64, and then say Mario 64 wasn't that good anyway.

Axiom said:
But the way gamers at large react to anything related to the industry (that isn't the games themselves) is to paint everything as Superman 64, and then say Mario 64 wasn't that good anyway.
It wasn't. Most overrated game ever.
because I never had a N64 and the kid down the road would only let me play Goldeneye. Ah, memories. Trying to play it on DS for the first time didn't have the same impact. I understand its importance though.

Jintor

Axiom said:
Or maybe I'm still just angry at the bullshit I read about the incredibly professional lady when she was covering the R-Rating decision for Gamespot, who then handled an on the spot interview from Channel 9 that was trying to get her to say the wrong things and it IS nice to see people defend KotakuAU when it comes to blanket declarations about Kotaku as a group.

Laura Parker?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oh snap!

but I snapped and bought the $299 32 inch from JB, super happy with it atm :D record straight to USB? yes plz.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remember when I paid ~$2000 for my 42" LCD.

Fuck you all.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
There's a TEAC TV that's not Full HD, but has DVD, USB Recording and an IPS panel at JB for $441. I need IPS because of the angle my TV is in my room. I thinking that's alright.

Axiom

Jintor said:
Laura Parker?
Yes,

Also skipped over your post a few times assuming you were responding to someone making a Twin Peaks reference. PALMER, Axiom, Laura Palmer - rely on MobileGaf too much.

markot

Banned
VOOK said:
There's a TEAC TV that's not Full HD, but has DVD, USB Recording and an IPS panel at JB for $441. I need IPS because of the angle my TV is in my room. I thinking that's alright.
Insert Wii joke!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
markot said:
Insert Wii joke!

I don't play games in my room, so I don't need it for that or Bluray. Apple TV is only 720p that's all I want it for + DVD.

jambo

Shaneus said:
It was AWESOME. If you can, watch the qualifying as well. Almost as good as the race, I shit you not.

Just finished watching now and it was pretty damn awesome. I might download the Quali and build up, but it was my best mates birthday today so we went out to dinner.

EatChildren said:
I remember when I paid ~$2000 for my 42" LCD.

Fuck you all.

$1600 for my 54" Plasma ^_^

Darklord

Banned
Uh, fuck me and my curiosity. I just HAD to find out what the deep web was. I HAD to find out what was on it. I HAD to come across a list of the worst things people have found on it. I HAD to click it. Now, I wish I never had done any of it. It makes anything on 4chan look like kindergarten fun. I mean shit, there's the black market but that shit ain't black, it's evil. God damn, my night is ruined.

Aon

Darklord said:
Uh, fuck me and my curiosity. I just HAD to find out what the deep web was. I HAD to find out what was on it. I HAD to come across a list of the worst things people have found on it. I HAD to click it. Now, I wish I never had done any of it. It makes anything on 4chan look like kindergarten fun. I mean shit, there's the black market but that shit ain't black, it's evil. God damn, my night is ruined.

Yeah, I did this a few months ago when reddit stumbled upon it. It's super fascinating but I do wish I could unsee some stuff.

Darklord

Banned
Jintor said:
Scrub your brain out. And your hard drive out if it's that illegal.

I didn't visit the sites, but screen shots(that weren't illegal, just showing the sites and what they were) were enough. I can't scrub my brain through. It had black market shit like drugs, weapons,that kind of stuff but then deeper in you see assassin bidding sites where you bid to buy an assassin hit on the person of your choice. The worst of the lot though, the one I regret ever finding out about
was a forum for pedophiles where they planned and talked about kidnapping, raping, torturing and killing children. A screen shot of the topic names alone made my spine crawl. Even worse was thousands of people had viewed each topic.

Black market place is fine. That's what I wanted to look at(not use, just curiously look). Just the crazy things you can buy I don't care about that but the rest? Hell no. I never plan on using deep web even if I am curious.

midonnay

errr..... speaking of deep web...

last night I learnt that I'm descended from criminals :/

(grandpa started off smuggling rice through the jungles when the Japanese was occupying Malaysia and moved into opium/heroin and things that go boom boom amongst other things after the war.)

was talking with dad about the good ol days and from nowhere the conversation zagged into how his home got raided by the feds when he was 15. However, my grandpa had the local cops paid up, got tipped off and moved the contraband beforehand.

no wonder he's so freaking religious

Hmmmm.

Deep Web, never heard of it. Disturbed because internet manages to constantly hide stuff from me.

Cursory searches bring up stories of woe, horror and cautionary tales.

More curious than ever.

Hmmmm.

DAMN YOU INTERNET!!

Top Bottom