• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

3chopl0x said:
I get TPG unlimited for 60$ a month including line rental..

When I rang up about getting naked they said in order to get it I would have to get a line connected and then disconnect it anyway (probably just a stupid sales person but w/e)

Just got the same plan connected. Seems pretty damn sweet so far. After living in the country for 18 months I'd forgotten how much better ADSL2+ is.

And goddamn it Shaneus, I read that Gawker article and thought I got it out of my system and now I'm finding myself super intrigued again. Why does this thing have to be so damn interesting!

Shaneus

jambo said:
If I go with Easy Broadband on Internode, I'd have to either get a $30 a month line rental from Telstra or bundle it with a $30 a month NodePhone plan from Internode.

For the 1,000 GB plan it's $120 + $30 = $150
For the 1,000 GB Naked plan the cost is $150

Then if you start making calls on the NodePhone you have to obviously pay more, when my mobile phone already works perfectly fine.

I don't understand how Naked is more hassle when it means you don't have a phone line rental and monthly call costs to worry about =\
Holy shit that's expensive. I have a 30mbit cable connection with 1TB (500/500) for $130/month.
Edit:
FallbackPants said:
And goddamn it Shaneus, I read that Gawker article and thought I got it out of my system and now I'm finding myself super intrigued again. Why does this thing have to be so damn interesting!
The one about Silk Road? It's fucking scary, isn't it? It feels like you're able to get a peek into the Matrix for some reason. Almost like it's the mechanics behind the internet we all see (even though it totally isn't). Perhaps even Truman Show-esque.

jambo

How is an extra $20 more expensive?

I get 10% discount anyway, so it'll only be $135 a month.

Plus I don't have to deal with on and off peak bollocks.

Also premium Usenet access.

And 150 premium radio streams.

And no lock in contract.

Omikron

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/

LOL.

Andrew Bolt has taken his bat and ball and going home?

Also:

eyFgj.jpg

Shaneus

jambo said:
How is an extra $20 more expensive?

I get 10% discount anyway, so it'll only be $135 a month.

Plus I don't have to deal with on and off peak bollocks.

Also premium Usenet access.

And 150 premium radio streams.

And no lock in contract.
I'd rather have a 30mbit connection to my home. As it is, I *would've* gone with ADSL2 but can't get it in my area from anyone. But if the only options I had for a 1TB plan were 15mb/s ADSL2 for ~$130 or 30mb/s cable for the same price, I'd choose the latter.

jambo

Shaneus said:
I'd rather have a 30mbit connection to my home. As it is, I *would've* gone with ADSL2 but can't get it in my area from anyone. But if the only options I had for a 1TB plan were 15mb/s ADSL2 for ~$130 or 30mb/s cable for the same price, I'd choose the latter.

Who are you using for your cable?

And are there speed issues when lots of people are using it? I remember hearing that that happened on cable, but that was years ago.

Don't forget, Shaneus, that cable is shared whereas ADSL isn't. In theory, your 30Mb cable could end up slower during peak periods than 15Mb ADSL.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Who are you using for your cable?

And are there speed issues when lots of people are using it? I remember hearing that that happened on cable, but that was years ago.
Neighbourhood Cable/TransACT. Had no speed issues at all, despite the fact that my brother and I (same address, different flats) use the same breakout box for the cable. We both hammer the shit out of it and I rarely dip below 3 megabytes/sec from Usenet. Usually average around 3.5.
codswallop said:
Don't forget, Shaneus, that cable is shared whereas ADSL isn't. In theory, your 30Mb cable could end up slower during peak periods than 15Mb ADSL.
The uptake where I am must be pretty low then... I've never seen slowdown that could be attributed to sharing the cable, even during the main peak times (when I get home from work). Never seen below 3Mb/s during the 6-10pm period on weekdays or at all on weekends.

About the only problem with the people I'm with is that they're not big enough as to have their own Steam server like Internode (I think). But they do cache anyway so I get pretty good speeds through Steam anyway.

legend166 said:
Also, has anyone else read that thread on OT about the Gizmodo article on dating the Magic dude? Sure, naming the guy was mean, but the amount of vitriol in that thread and from the 'nerd' community on the internet is amazing. Honestly makes me uncomfortable reading it.

My opinion is something like this. If you're willing to publicly humiliate someone just to get some extra hits and for something as shallow as being interested in a card game you kinda deserve the vitriol.

Yagharek

I try not to follow australian politics and news media self-congratulatory analysis cycles.

What's so significant about bolt throwing a wobbly again?

Choc

Banned
if AB isnt going to talk politics anymore (i suggest its something to do with the Milne situation where Milne is getting sacked and sued over the shit he wrote, something that AB tends to write as well (climate change) then i imagine the bolt report will disappear pretty quickly off teh tv

Shaneus

choodi said:
Myer online have PSPgo for $100 delivered again.

Just a heads up
Only reason I'd buy one is if they can have CFW permanently applied (rather than using that Patapon exploit). Any idea if they can?

jambo

I might go to Myer now on my lunch break and see if they have any in stock. Some people commented on OzBargain saying that they got the in store for $100.

Ydahs

Xenoblades still hasn't arrived.

Don't know why I'm even waiting. Won't be able to play it until after next Thursday :|

Fogz

I'd been keeping my eye out for a cheap PSP to replace the launch one I broke, but I really want a regular one as I still have UMD's to play.

choodi

Banned
Choc said:
it says its out of stock

where is it?

Well that didn't last long...

Im on my phone, so can't provide too many details.

I literally put my order in about 15 minutes ago. Invoice says 1.07pm.

Not sure about the CFW. I bought it more as a collectors piece. Will probably use it for only a couple of games

Yagharek

Hah, OK Ive caught up on it now.

This Milne wrote an article about the PM based on apparently inaccurate info
Apparently said info was "controversial enough to possibly bring down the PM"
Turns out it was false info
The Australian published it, Bolt wrote about it and then the Australian pulled the article and added an apology
Crikey has a list of several links to Bolt articles with very descriptive URLs
Clicking on them takes you to an "oops, this page is missing" page

So Andrew Bolt has been making claims about "Juliar", and when called on it he has gone back and removed all such claims of lying....

Did someone buy him a 3DS?

Choc

Banned
wow

wow just wow im glad bolt doesnt call himself a journalist because he just broke every fucking ethical rule in the book. You don't just delete shit that turns out to be wrong, you fucking write an apology and a rebuttal in your publication.

disgusting.

Omikron

Choc said:
wow

wow just wow im glad bolt doesnt call himself a journalist because he just broke every fucking ethical rule in the book. You don't just delete shit that turns out to be wrong, you fucking write an apology and a rebuttal in your publication.

disgusting.

My guess is the HS pulled it.

No politics until further notice. Principles to weigh up. Faith to keep. Sorry.

UPDATE

Afrer discussions, I now feel free to speak my mind. So I shall. In tomorrow’s column. I apologise for the mysteriousness, but I did not want to act in anger or before matters had been resolved. I had to be fair to my employer and to my readers, and I apologise if you think I’ve had the balance wrong over the past 24 hours.

Thank you to everyone who has rung, emailed or commented on this post, here and on radio.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Anyone would think choc writes for the Age given how hard it is for him to conceal his excitement. :p

it would mean the removal of one useless, lying, wanker

alan jones would be the next target. Media watch last night was shameful

Yagharek

I agree with you choc - people like alan jones/john laws etc are amongst the worst kind in the media today. The only difference between Bolt and Jones is that at least Bolt can be somewhat polite at least when he was on Insiders. Jones on the other hand is just a hostile thug who will be cheered on to retirement by many.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
I agree with you choc - people like alan jones/john laws etc are amongst the worst kind in the media today. The only difference between Bolt and Jones is that at least Bolt can be somewhat polite at least when he was on Insiders. Jones on the other hand is just a hostile thug who will be cheered on to retirement by many.

oh man

ausgaf is really broken now ;)

RandomVince said:
As opposed to now, when he's cheered on by many in retirement.

Jintor

Off the topic of media and politics for a moment, the game covers thread in gaming is amazing. I kinda wish I had more Console games to re-cover.

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
As opposed to now, when he's cheered on by many in retirement.

which leads me back to the editorial that Fred posted a few weeks back where someone said its not climate change and government pissing off the older set, its the fact that things are changing and the self entitled self funded retirees don't like change and have no idea. Alan and John appeal to those people for a number of reasons.

One they don't work so they have a fair bit of spare time to listen to talkback and

Two They tend to believe everything the media says unlike free thinking young people.

The person that did the editorial deserves a fucking walkley for writing something so right.

Top Bottom