• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

markot said:
The pokies thing makes me ill >_< people seem to be willing to turn a blind eye to all the 'sporting clubs' and crap being funded by people with gambling problems.... sickening.
The most sickening thing is that by opposing pre commitment, the clubs are admitting they're funded entirely by peoples irrational addictions.

Yagharek

Choc said:
edit: i wasn't saying Tasmania does not get a say, it would be the same as a NSW independant or Vic etc

my point is 1 person does not represent the entire nation. In the pokies case he seems to have got it right, but in other times he may not.

The rest of the country was split down the middle. Luck of the draw gave Wilkie this opportunity and he is taking it as he promised his electorate.

Dont like it, draft a new constitution. The country doesnt revolve around NSW.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
The rest of the country was split down the middle. Luck of the draw gave Wilkie this opportunity and he is taking it as he promised his electorate.

Dont like it, draft a new constitution. The country doesnt revolve around NSW.

i didnt say it does

sigh you are missing my point. 1 person from WHEREEVER should not be able to hold a gvt to ransom

edit: also front page of daily tele in sydney today lol 'Barry O'Barrier'

already calling him Kevin Rudd wanting all these enquiries and micro managing

thats why fuck all has been done in nsw

Yagharek

Choc said:
i didnt say it does

sigh you are missing my point. 1 person from WHEREEVER should not be able to hold a gvt to ransom

Unelected people already hold the country to ransom via lobby groups like the ACL. At least Wilkie has a mandate.

The system is the way it is. A close election is always a possibility; this time around we hit on the finest of margins.

Yagharek

markot said:
Remember Harridine >_<? He was from Tassie too!

And Fielding was from Victoria.

Omi said:
Oh shit, now you have done it.

Good. If choc wants to say that the people of Denison have no right to have their elected member try to do what he said he would do, let him say it.

jambo

Well I have a Neverfail fountain just outside of my office, but my office is in the middle of the building so I have 4 walls and no windows =\

1/2 at least.

reptilescorpio said:
Also 19000 posts!!!!

Wow, that came out of no where.

And of course it's a political Choc post =P

Yagharek

I'm going to finish A Storm of Swords Pt 1 tonight. That's the first 3 books down in 5 weeks.

I won't be able to get to Pt 2 for another fortnight.

That's my addiction right now. :s

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo I just got 'fired', I think, from my volunteer position. Lol wut.

EatChildren said:
Sooo I just got 'fired', I think, from my volunteer position. Lol wut.
Even working for free doesnt mean people wont frown upon eating children.

Spent my day as honary it support. This job really gives me the shits.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Which is surprising, given just how many young aspiring journos graduate bushy-tailed and starry-eyed from dozens of higher learning institutions all over the country and how 95% of them never end up so much as sniffing a newspaper, news program or magazine.

Seems once you get into the club, you're set.
There is a simple answer to that actually. There are so few jobs and, especially starting out, the pay is abhorrent. At my old job working at a rural paper I was on only slightly more than half of what my brother as a graduate engineer was on. Actually it might have even less than that.

Compared to what a PR company is paying, media pays grads nothing. PR is where the money is, and when you're newly out of uni and your lawyer and engineer friends are getting pay packets upwards of $70k, and you're offered in the low 40s (if that, and if you're even offered a job) it's pretty easy to look at that cushy PR job and sell out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No, not PALGN :p (screw you reptilescorpio!). I was doing volunteer work at the Cerebral Palsy Support Network, helping update their system. Safe to say I didn't get along well with the lunatic boss, and she's decided to give me the flick, telling me the project I was working on is now complete when I know for a fact its still got a month left.

EatChildren said:
No, not PALGN :p (screw you reptilescorpio!). I was doing volunteer work at the Cerebral Palsy Support Network, helping update their system. Safe to say I didn't get along well with the lunatic boss, and she's decided to give me the flick, telling me the project I was working on is now complete when I know for a fact its still got a month left.
Ah that sucks. Hope her stupidity doesnt affect anyone. My sister in law had cp really bad as a kid and had a hell of a time and she was one of the ones who ended up fairly okay.

midonnay

I don't think a space exploration program or high speed rail is feasible in australia

both would cost past the 100 billion dollar mark.

better to stick our bums on our seats and build the matrix :D

EatChildren

reptilescorpio said:
Ah that sucks. Hope her stupidity doesnt affect anyone. My sister in law had cp really bad as a kid and had a hell of a time and she was one of the ones who ended up fairly okay.

Thats mainly why I stuck around even with the volatile workplace, because their cause is good and I felt sorry for all the clients. I'm confident their work with clients is good, its just the office itself that is complete shit. I've already filed several complaints, as the business really should be in more capable hands.

Ventron

Choc needs his own thread to himself that he can fill with abuse :p Where he can call Andrew Bolt all those rude names and wish for him to be censored rather than engage in proper debate.

Xenoblade Chronicles looks like a nice game to get, but I just don't think I have the spare time to play a big RPG anymore.

EDIT: Anyone else caught in the huge downpour in Brisbane?

Yagharek

midonnay said:
I don't think a space exploration program or high speed rail is feasible in australia

both would cost past the 100 billion dollar mark.

better to stick our bums on our seats and build the matrix :D

The economic stimulus program from 2009 cost ~40 to 50 billion. Much of it went towards covering up the economic hole created by incompetence and lack of oversight in the US market. So it was essentially a waste of money, or rather a bill required to make up for waste going on elsewhere. It seemed to do it's job at least.

I don't think 100bn over a decade or two is a completely outlandish prospect if it could be demonstrated to have major benefits to the country as a whole. Being a major attraction for engineering and highly skilled employees from around the world would be a big boost to the domestic economy. Hell, look at India. It has driven its economy from basket case to rapid growth on the back of a strong focus on employing new technology and intelligent workers.

Ventron said:
Choc needs his own thread to himself that he can fill with abuse :p Where he can call Andrew Bolt all those rude names and wish for him to be censored rather than engage in proper debate.

Xenoblade Chronicles looks like a nice game to get, but I just don't think I have the spare time to play a big RPG anymore.

EDIT: Anyone else caught in the huge downpour in Brisbane?

It's raining in Brissie? It's a bit cloudy, but quite pleasant in Ipswich

markot

Banned
EatChildren said:
I hope you have learnt your lesson. Never help anybody.

Ventron

Fredescu said:
Engaging in proper debate requires two sides.

Which is precisely what we have. A debate isn't something to fear if an argument is sound, because if it is it will withstand scrutiny. In fact, I had a debate with you over CO2 many pages ago.
Calling someone a racist, wanker, or whatever just gives the impression of, frankly, fear. I disagree with Andrew Bolt on heaps of things but that doesn't make him a cock.

Choc

Banned
Ventron said:
Which is precisely what we have. A debate isn't something to fear if an argument is sound, because if it is it will withstand scrutiny. In fact, I had a debate with you over CO2 many pages ago.
Calling someone a racist, wanker, or whatever just gives the impression of, frankly, fear. I disagree with Andrew Bolt on heaps of things but that doesn't make him a cock.

calling someone a wanker is an australian tradition. He is a wanker because he is the most biased commentator like alan jones is and won't allow or listen to both sides of the story, which is actually against ACMA rules.

Ventron

Choc said:
calling someone a wanker is an australian tradition. He is a wanker because he is the most biased commentator like alan jones is and won't allow or listen to both sides of the story, which is actually against ACMA rules.

I was wondering why that was the case and looked into it some more.

Turns out that he really wants to talk to people on the other side, but they refuse to talk to him. When the last carbon tax report came out, he extended invitations to all the report's authors, Julia Gillard and Simon Sheikh, and not one accepted.

So it's not fair on Andrew to refuse to talk with him, then complain when he doesn't represent your side.

Fredescu

Ventron said:
Which is precisely what we have.
My point was, we don't. No one has made an opposing case. There's nothing to debate.

Ventron said:
In Choc's case it's imprecision rather than fear. Andrew Bolt is a troll for his "side" and that manifests itself in him jumping the gun on issues like the Norway shooting, and the Glenn Milne piece. Whether being a troll makes him a wanker or not is a matter of personal taste I guess.

Choc

Banned
Ventron said:
I was wondering why that was the case and looked into it some more.

Turns out that he really wants to talk to people on the other side, but they refuse to talk to him. When the last carbon tax report came out, he extended invitations to all the report's authors, Julia Gillard and Simon Sheikh, and not one accepted.

So it's not fair on Andrew to refuse to talk with him, then complain when he doesn't represent your side.

If that is true then that is a bit poor form but why would they put themselves with Bolt if he is just going to run them down over and over and not let them speak (assuming he follows the same tact as Alan Jones who calls our Prime Minister a liar live on air completely disrespecting the office of the PM). Perhaps they don't think they will get a fair shout. Possibly by going onto Bolt and him continuosly not letting them talk he would then look like a dick to the populace, but then maybe not and maybe its not a risk JG would take.

Question. Do you think Rudd would have appeared on the Bolt report? I kinda think he would have.

Maybe Bolt is not as bad as Jones, but Jones takes the absolute cake as he showed last week in Canberra by telling a Herald Journalist she shouldn't be there as she isn't right wing (didnt know journalists could not be unbiased in this day and age....) and also pointing out some sky news guy or something.

Was just insane. Those of you who haven't, watch last nights media watch.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
In Choc's case it's imprecision rather than fear. Andrew Bolt is a troll for his "side" and that manifests itself in him jumping the gun on issues like the Norway shooting, and the Glenn Milne piece. Whether being a troll makes him a wanker or not is a matter of personal taste I guess.
You and your goddamn fucking rationalism.

Choc

Banned
posted on foxsports now in reaction to Manly/Storm fines

i've not laughed so hard in a long time

Kyle Allman of Red Hill says… Today at 2:58 PM
DISGRACEFUL FROM MANLY, I EXPECT THEM TO BE RELEGATED FROM THE NRL TO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, THE G-LEAUGUE, GRUBS ONLY!!! BROOKVALES FANS YELLING AT SLATER HAD MY 9 YEAR OLD SON IN TEARS!! STORM ARE A HONOURABLE CLUB WITH A PROUD HISTORY, BLAIR IS A HUMILITABLE PLAYER. THE STEWART BROS NEED TO PLAY A GAME LIKE AFL IF THEY WANT TO BE GRUBS. LEAUGUE IS A MUPPET-FREE GAME!!!! UP THE BRONCS (THEY ARE MY FAVE TEAM AND I <3 LOCKY)

a proud history of CHEATING.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
I'd be down for a rebranding of the all the Allure sites names to be non-Gawker names. Although for the people that actually know better, it doesn't really matter...
I think Kotaku would probably benefit from it the most. Serrels seems to have copped a lot of flak for what is essentially guilt by association.

Yagharek

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2862328.html

A very timely article on how bad modern journalism is in this country:

The following is a transcript of Jay Rosen's keynote address at New News 2011, part of the Melbourne Writers Festival, co-sponsored by the Public Interest Journalism Foundation at Swinburne University of Technology. (Melbourne, Australia, August 26, 2011.)

This talk had its origins in my appearance about a year ago on the ABC's Lateline with Leigh Sales. We were discussing election coverage that looks at the campaign as a kind of sporting event. Every day journalists can ask, "who's ahead" and "what is the strategy for winning?" A perspective that appeals to political reporters, I said, because it puts them "on the inside, looking at the campaign the way the operatives do."

I then mentioned the ABC's Sunday morning program, The Insiders. And I asked Leigh Sales if it was true that the insiders were, on that program, the journalists. She said: "That is right." I said: "That's remarkable." She… well, she changed the subject. And let me add right away that Leigh Sales is one of the most intelligent journalists I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

So this is my theme tonight: how did we get to the point where it seems entirely natural for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation to describe political journalists appearing on its air as "the insiders?" Don't you think that's a little strange? I do. Promoting journalists as insiders in front of the outsiders, the viewers, the electorate… this is a clue to what's broken about political coverage in the US and Australia. Here's how I would summarise it: things are out of alignment. Journalists are identifying with the wrong people. Therefore the kind of work they are doing is not as useful as we need it to be.

More at the link, obviously.

Choc said:

DISGRACEFUL FROM MANLY, I EXPECT THEM TO BE RELEGATED FROM THE NRL TO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, THE G-LEAUGUE, GRUBS ONLY!!! BROOKVALES FANS YELLING AT SLATER HAD MY 9 YEAR OLD SON IN TEARS!! STORM ARE A HONOURABLE CLUB WITH A PROUD HISTORY, BLAIR IS A HUMILITABLE PLAYER. THE STEWART BROS NEED TO PLAY A GAME LIKE AFL IF THEY WANT TO BE GRUBS. LEAUGUE IS A MUPPET-FREE GAME!!!! UP THE BRONCS (THEY ARE MY FAVE TEAM AND I <3 LOCKY)

Our history doesn't begin and end with the salary cap drama. I find it kind of hilarious that you really needed to single out one thing wrong with that post.

Planet_JASE said:
Look outside now. Not. Looking. Good.

Edit:

Beaten by you. Think there might be hail.

Seriously? Fark. My car is out in the open.

Choc said:

Haha ridiculous. Not to mention that Blair is one of the niggliest players in the league. He loves throwing out some chat. Also humilitable? I don't even know what word that is misspelled from.

And what kind of self respecting Broncos fan likes the Storm? Dear god. I hate them more than I hate pretty much every other team. They stole our coach in waiting, we stole their star player, we beat them in the 06 GF, they beat us in every goddamn semi final we've played since.

Top Bottom