• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
Today I learnt I will be flying with Delta to the US.

I have not heard good things.
No, you haven't. Because there re no good things to hear. But maybe you will be the first passenger to have a good experience with Delta. I haven't flown them since the 90's, but they were the worst cattle class boxes in existence, maybe they are better now.

Clipper

codswallop said:
That is because they are not good. In fact, most of the domestic flights I've had in the US have been poor service. Delta were the worst, though.
In my experience, while I agree that they are pretty horrible in domestic, the international service isn't all that bad.

Gazunta

Oh no, Delta to the US :(

It was seriously the worst flight I have ever been on my life.

So...we were on a Delta international flight coming back to Australia, which meant we left at midnight US time and landed at about 7 or 8 in the AM Australian time. They did the usual routine of giving us something to eat and drink and then shutting the main lights off so tired people could go to sleep after spending several hours waiting around LAX.

About four hours into the flight they flick the main lights back on with no warning and then this horrible American woman comes on the intercom.

"ATTENTION EVERYONE."

We all look around, going WTF, this isn't normal...

"GOD HAS A SURPRISE FOR YOU!"

What. The. Fuck. I was expecting a bomb to go off, or us to slam into the water.

...ten seconds pass. I heard some passenger start crying.

"If you look out the left side of the plane, GOD HAS GIVEN YOU A SUNRISE! Have a great day everyone!"

And then the lights went off.

I never wanted to fucking murder someone so much in my entire life.

Edit: Oh and not to mention the steward who pushed people down in the aisle if they so much as looked like they were going to walk into business class.

Deeku

Whoa never expected to see CDO and derivatives in the ausgaf thread lol

I haven't watched the film but I think that explaining these sophisticated instruments to the average joe probably worsens what people think of the finance industry. I personally love structured derivatives and think they're amazing and will be working in the area when I graduate.

Fredescu

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
Oh no, Delta to the US :(

About four hours into the flight they flick the main lights back on with no warning and then this horrible American woman comes on the intercom.

"ATTENTION EVERYONE."

We all look around, going WTF, this isn't normal...

"GOD HAS A SURPRISE FOR YOU!"

What. The. Fuck. I was expecting a bomb to go off, or us to slam into the water.

...ten seconds pass. I heard some passenger start crying.

"If you look out the left side of the plane, GOD HAS GIVEN YOU A SUNRISE! Have a great day everyone!"

And then the lights went off.

I never wanted to fucking murder someone so much in my entire life.

That can't be real.

Oh, and just reaffirming all the posts saying Delta is arse.

It is.

Utter. Arse.

Choc

Banned
i read the henry tax review page to page fred (having been involved in this stuff before i am quite interested in it)

there was some amazing ideas in it, truly amazing forward thinking stuff that yes in the short term would have cost votes but in the long term made this nation better and easier to deal with

also Bern

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/flight-test-delta-air-lines-20100812-120mt.html

Delta is the worst apparently.

Qantas first class all the way * (*purely because it was cheaper then business. It was a mistake i found out but QF are going to honor it)

and not to be a cock but US Airlines (AA, Delta etc) tend to have the worst economy sections in the world

European and Asian carriers (including Australians) treat economy quite well.

Are you going to E3 on behalf of vooks again?

Salazar

Dead Man said:
No, you haven't. Because there re no good things to hear. But maybe you will be the first passenger to have a good experience with Delta. I haven't flown them since the 90's, but they were the worst cattle class boxes in existence, maybe they are better now.

I had a pretty fucked-up Dubai to Rome flight with Emirates.

There was so much leering that I actually feared for the stewardesses' safety. The seats were cramped as fuck. The food was disgusting. They provided hardly any water. The toilets were foul. The plane itself was fucking ancient. A fat Italian creep behind me kept coughing globules of god knows what into the back of my head.

Choc

Banned
Salazar said:

There was so much leering that I actually feared for the stewardesses' safety. The seats were cramped as fuck. The food was disgusting. They provided hardly any water. The toilets were foul. The plane itself was fucking ancient. A fat Italian creep behind me kept coughing globules of god knows what into the back of my head.

first time i've heard of Emirates being shit

When i went to the UK on leisure not business i flew Virgin Atlantic, was great.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
first time i've heard of Emirates being shit

When i went to the UK on leisure not business i flew Virgin Atlantic, was great.

I've always thought of Emirates as being one of the best.

Flying Virgin international was boss as well.

Although I tend to judge 'boss' as being 'they had USB ports in the entertainment system'.

Qantas Hot Chocolate gives me a headache for some reason.

Deeku

MrSerrels said:
I've always thought of Emirates as being one of the best.

Flying Virgin international was boss as well.

Although I tend to judge 'boss' as being 'they had USB ports in the entertainment system'.

Qantas Hot Chocolate gives me a headache for some reason.
The hot chocolate is rad! I was blown away by it when I flew Qantas recently since I had not flown with them for a long long time.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Today I learnt I will be flying with Delta to the US.

I have not heard good things.

So, after reading about a page of discussion about this, I realise I'm the only one who thought you were flying to the US with Delta Goodrim.

Gazunta said:
And the Americans wonder why everyone hates them?

Fredescu said:
It really is shocking how little attention the government paid to the Henry Tax Review.
On a similar note the government has ignored the advice of their expert panel to allow subsides for some new cancer prescriptions because they don't want to blow the budget. Assholes. Australia is one of the leaders in medicine research and we can't be fucked subsiding the cost to allow ordinary Australians to try and beat cancer. What is the point of paying an expert panel thousands of dollars if their findings don't matter? Morons.

MrSerrels said:
It is. Utter. Arse.
So confirmation that if your boss orders you a Delta flight he secretly hates you?

Salazar said:
That is strange as all my Emirates flights have been fantastic. Every flight they have been nice enough to ply me with copious amounts of scotch without argument.

legend166

Anyone flown Malaysia? That's what I'm going with to fly in and out of Europe.

I should bribe a stewardess and try to move to first class.

legend166 said:

Parents have used them twice. First 3 flights were great, flight home last time was cramped and shitty. Depends on if you get put on one of the big planes by the sounds of it.

reptilescorpio said:
And the Americans wonder why everyone hates them?
Most of middle America would think everyone loves them. Everyone I've met from either coast has generally been intelligent and a decent human being.

I've flown with dozens of airlines and the worst have been Qantas (four hour delay, no explanation, then the staff were jerks the entire flight), Delta (as with everyone else, they're just shit) and Thai.

Thai were mostly good except their long haul overnight planes are ancient. And there was a drunk guy on a flight from London who leaned over from his seat and started touching my wife's hair. Luckily we were moved pretty quickly.

legend166 said:
I flew Malaysia as a kid. I don't remember much except that it was a boring flight, but my Dad tells me that all the men were served their meals first, then the children, then women.

A workmate flew them a couple of years ago and said the service was pretty average and the plane delayed by a couple of hours because the pilot slept in.

I actually like the asian airlines, I think they're pretty good, if a little dodgier than the higher-priced ones.

legend166

reptilescorpio said:
Parents have used them twice. First 3 flights were great, flight home last time was cramped and shitty. Depends on if you get put on one of the big planes by the sounds of it.

We're going on a 747-400 to KL, then a 777-200 to Paris and on the way home.

r1chard

Salazar said:

Bad experience, sorry to hear it.

I've flown Emirates a few times now to Europe and they've been pretty good. Some of their older seats are a poor design that kinda splits in the middle when you recline leaving strange lumps. Their modern seats are fine though (for cattle class). Never had a problem with food or provision of water (though I'm very proactive about such things). Their in-flight entertainment is awesome, especially the newer fitouts.

My only pain was that the last time I flew with them the booking website (webjet or similar) didn't make it clear that my MEL-> DXB -> BHX flight was actually MEL -> KUL -> DXB -> BHX. Ugh. Only really added 3 hours onto the journey but the KUL stop was effectively the middle of the night.

One really nice thing about Emirates is they actually fly to a bunch of places other international carriers don't, thanks to the Dubai interchange.

Mar said:
So, after reading about a page of discussion about this, I realise I'm the only one who thought you were flying to the US with Delta Goodrim.
Would his expriences be similar, I wonder.

Hypothetical Bern said:
Yeah, the flight was a long blur of loud snoring, off-key drunken renditons of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up", toxic haletosis, obnoxious anecdotes about bogans and coughs in my face. Ugh. Never flying with Delta again.

Hypothetical Mar said:
Yeah, plus her first album was rubbish.

Dead Man

Salazar said:

Wow. I tend to stick with Qantas or high profile Asian airlines like Singapore now. Qantas is expensive, but good, and the Asian airlines I find have amazing service, and food that is interesting, even if it is not particularly appealing!

legend166 said:

I flew Malaysia from here to the UK a couple years ago, they were pretty good. No slept in pilots or weird gender segregated food. Security in the stop over in Malaysia was a bitch though.

I have flown with lots of different airlines. Its really pot luck whether you get a good flight with any airline.

In general, the better flights for me have been Singapore and Qantas. My parents fly to Europe regularly and they used Singapore for years but now go Emirates and they seem to have no complaints.

My Qantas experience may be coloured by the fact my wife still keeping up a Qantas Club membership which lets her and a guest (me!) use the lounges before a flight

also: older places usually mean higher chance of lousier flights

Kirby102

Everyone is going overseas... D:

As I said in Steam chat, if anyone is going overseas (anytime soon), can they get me an iPad 2 at the Apple shop (which is located after customs on the departure terminal only of Syd Intl Airport... or any Intl airport at that?)

I heard it's duty free and heaps cheap (and has stock) :D

Dead Man said:
Qantas is expensive, but good
Fuck Qantas. They're awful. The flight attendants are almost always rude, there are constant delays.

On our last flight (delayed four hours), we met a couple who were flying almost completely free because their last flight had been delayed 24 hours (side note: Qantas were only originally going to compensate one of them) and the one before had been delayed for 8 hours.

They ran out of food so I had no choice of meal. And we'd ordered two vegetarian meals (side side note: I find you don't feel anywhere near as sick with vegetarian meals which is why I get them even though I'm not vegetarian. Etihad had a chickpea curry that was really damned good, too) and confirmed it the night before. The staff were rude and abusive even though I'm not one of these people who yells when they get bad service.

Qantas can die in a fire for all I care.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
Fuck Qantas. They're awful. The flight attendants are almost always rude, there are constant delays.

On our last flight (delayed four hours), we met a couple who were flying almost completely free because their last flight had been delayed 24 hours (side note: Qantas were only originally going to compensate one of them) and the one before had been delayed for 8 hours.

They ran out of food so I had no choice of meal. And we'd ordered two vegetarian meals and confirmed it the night before. The staff were rude and abusive even though I'm not one of these people who yells when they get bad service.

Qantas can die in a fire for all I care.
Jesus. All my flights with them have been great. :/ Luck of the draw I guess.

Jintor

legend166 said:

MAS is alright. They're about standard, really. I fly with them to KL and back most years, never had a terrible airline-based experience or anything, but nothing special. Avoid the non-asian food.

Dead Man said:
Jesus. All my flights with them have been great. :/ Luck of the draw I guess.
I've flown domestic with them, and beside the flight staff being aloof they were alright. It's just the International ones that were crap.

My wife works for a travel insurance mob and says that most Qantas staff are self-involved jerkwads than any other company when calling up for insurance.

Also: The Malaysian gender-segregated service appears to have died with the 80s, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Omikron

Dead Man said:
I flew Malaysia from here to the UK a couple years ago, they were pretty good. No slept in pilots or weird gender segregated food. Security in the stop over in Malaysia was a bitch though.

Flown Malaysian as well and I thought they were pretty good, staff for the most part were pretty good and food actually edible. Apart from the one leg where the 'breakfast' meal was a hot option and man, I was feeling pretty awful after my first ever long haul flight.

Best service though was Air New Zealand however, impressive.

I flew Singapore airlines to Europe and back and have no complaints, they were pretty good.

Luckily on the way over they put us at the emergency exit door because I'm tall haha. No such luck on the way back.

Omi said:
I was feeling pretty awful after my first ever long haul flight.
Go vegetarian -- especially if with the asian or middle eastern airlines. Food might not be quite as tasty, but I usually feel terrible after eating meat-based meals on flights.

Best decision I ever did was start ordering vegetarian stuff on flights. It's often fresher too.

Omikron

codswallop said:
Go vegetarian -- especially if with the asian or middle eastern airlines. Food might not be quite as tasty, but damn you don't feel sick afterwards.

Not a bad idea, tempted to try that out, specify either myself or the wife are vego just to compare the options :D

(not that I think we will be travelling anytime soon heh!)

Fredescu

Omi said:
Yeah, I had a moment the other day where my wife was disappointed because her friend invited her to Brisbane for a birthday party or something. I was all "What's the problem? It's a quick flight... oh yeah. Oh shit, no flights for me for a while."

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Would his expriences be similar, I wonder.
Plug in the iPod and enjoy the view.

Omi said:
Fredescu said:
It's a quick flight... oh yeah. Oh shit, no flights for me for a while."
Yeah a friend of mine has his wedding in New York in September which would make the little guy just under a year old, could leave him in Australia but I don't think work will let me take the time off anyway. I have heard you can take a baby on-board so airlines no problems but I can't see it being a pleasant experience at all. Hard enough to take him to the parents for the weekend let alone through security and shit.

Deeku

No one here ever flies Cathay? :(

I pretty much fly exclusively Cathay because I only ever go to Hong Kong or Japan. Sometimes Singapore airlines if I want to do a stop over there.

Generally I can't stand plane food and try to eat enough before boarding. But if I'm hungry Cathay usually has me covered with their seemingly endless supply of cup noodles. Though I don't recommended eating more than 5 during a longish flight.

commanderdeek said:
No one here ever flies Cathay? :(

I pretty much fly exclusively Cathay because I only ever go to Hong Kong or Japan. Sometimes Singapore airlines if I want to do a stop over there.

Generally I can't stand plane food and try to eat enough before boarding. But if I'm hungry Cathay usually has me covered with their seemingly endless supply of cup noodles. Though I don't recommended eating more than 5 during a longish flight.

I flew Cathay when I went on a family trip to Britain a few years ago, was pleasant enough. They didn't seem to take umbrage with my constant getting up and grabbing new drinks and snacks.

Bernbaum

Delta discussion has been less than encouraging.

Gaz - that story is hilarious. I will be flying to God-friendly Utah domestically with Delta from LA, arriving on a Sunday when there is NO ALCOHOL ALL CHILDREN MUST IN BED BY 6 O'CLOCK ENFORCEABLE BY SHOTGUN WIELDING MORMONS.

Horrible foreign-ness is something I can tolerate. I'll defend the Americans as lovely people, but if it's shitty service from another culture, I can kinda take a detached out of body "gee ain't this funny" perspective on it. I am also particularly well-travelled in Australia and am used to shitty conditions. I actually nominated to fly economy to curry up good will at work - if I'd said nothing I would be flying Business Class by default.

Choc said:
Are you going to E3 on behalf of vooks again?
No.

This decision was made well before any inkling of Cafe.

I will be there for work
climbing mountains looking for rocks and fossils FUCK YEAH IMMA SCIENTIST
and then taking a personal week to travel the midwest, again, visiting natural history sites and geological features. As a geologist, it's something I have to do.

As for general flights, I'm really not precious. Business is nice, but I would never pay for it out of my own wallet. I work with a bunch of precious princesses who whinge about the most trivial of matters and I always try to take the 'Children are starving in Africa' attitude with this sort of stuff. Qantas is kinda crappy, even in Business and I've had good experiences with anything that's got 'Virgin' on it.

I would totally have a beer with Hypothetical Mar and Hypothetical Bernbaum.

Rahk

Cheers cookie. I'll wire you the funds later today.

Or I can pay you back when we have SydGAF+cookie episode 2. :p

Man Bern, you make travelling out to mining sites sound so glamourous. The most I've ever gotten out of work in the way of travel were domestic flights to capital cities to give presentations to corporate types.

Gazunta

I just realised all this flight talk is giving me withdrawal shakes something viscous.

SOMEONE FLY ME SOMEWHERE FOR SOME BULLSHIT REASON

Top Bottom